HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Keenan's coaching style

Old
07-17-2017, 10:26 AM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Mike Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckLefley View Post
Part of it was that Gretzky had a business guy he trusted implicitly and that guy wanted the Blues to pay a huge chunk of money as an upfront bonus. The brilliance of Blues ownership at that time couldn't see anything else and freaked out at the idea that Gretzky could get hurt. They completely ignored how much they would be making in jersey sales, merchandise sales, tickets, concessions, etc. even if he only played half a season due to injury. They were complete idiots who undermined the coaches and GM's the entire time they owned the team.
Would that be Mike Barnett - Gretzky's business guy? If so the two groups St.Louis ownership and Wayne Gretzky would never make a match.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 02:42 PM
ChuckLefley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Would that be Mike Barnett - Gretzky's business guy? If so the two groups St.Louis ownership and Wayne Gretzky would never make a match.
Nope, I wish I could remember his name but it was his business advisor.

ChuckLefley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 03:35 PM
tony d
Ocean Spray

As a good coach but 1 who was a bit hard on his coach and that hurts his all time ranking on the coaches list.

07-17-2017, 04:34 PM
Canadiens1958

Mike Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckLefley View Post
Nope, I wish I could remember his name but it was his business advisor.
Mike Barnett represented Gretzky thru 2001.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Barnett_(ice_hockey)

Had a habit of leaving the NHL, the team, the NHLPA out of lucrative contracts as often as possible.

Left click on the did you mean.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:09 PM
ChuckLefley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Mike Barnett represented Gretzky thru 2001.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Barnett_(ice_hockey)

Had a habit of leaving the NHL, the team, the NHLPA out of lucrative contracts as often as possible.

Left click on the did you mean.
Yes, Barnett was his agent, but this was his business advisor who wanted the majority of the money up front.

ChuckLefley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 10:15 AM
Randy Marsh

There was definitely a method to his tactics. Roenick said in his book that Keenan knew he played better when he was fighting the urge to kill him. He also said that Keenan helped him and his wife get through a tough time in their marriage.

Keenan also told his wife that "No matter what I've said to him, I know he's going to be a great player."

Once a year, Keenan would scrimmage with the team and say "ok, here is your chance to take a shot at me."

Randy Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 01:14 PM
reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Marsh View Post
Once a year, Keenan would scrimmage with the team and say "ok, here is your chance to take a shot at me."
Mark Howe told that story in his book. Keenan's words were "For all you guys who want to kill me, this is your chance. Just remember that I'm back in charge tomorrow."

That warning didn't scare off the Flyer players. They took runs at him all through the scrimmage. Keenan just picked himself up and kept on playing.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 02:22 PM
Randy Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
Mark Howe told that story in his book. Keenan's words were "For all you guys who want to kill me, this is your chance. Just remember that I'm back in charge tomorrow."

That warning didn't scare off the Flyer players. They took runs at him all through the scrimmage. Keenan just picked himself up and kept on playing.
Roenick also said that there were no free shots. Keenan slashed at everyone that got him.

One of Keenan's tactics was to destroy the established leadership that was in place. He did it with Savard in Chicago and Linden in Vancouver. He also pissed off Hull in St. Louis.

Randy Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 04:52 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Keenans style?

Run and gun
Army style sergeant
Chew players out
Do extrentric stuff
Never take responsibility for anything

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 05:52 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Keenans style?

Run and gun
Army style sergeant
Chew players out
Do extrentric stuff
Never take responsibility for anything
... yet..... they loved him in the KHL.... after winning Gagarin Cup, Keenan carried around on the players shoulders, tossed in the air..... then afterwards....
singing Karaoke in the dressing room.... ja..... check it out.... http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...p-championship ..... so...... you still think he Bad Maing Hobs?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 06:02 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... yet..... they loved him in the KHL.... after winning Gagarin Cup, Keenan carried around on the players shoulders, tossed in the air..... then afterwards....
singing Karaoke in the dressing room.... ja..... check it out.... http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...p-championship ..... so...... you still think he Bad Maing Hobs?
Maybe those russians are stalinists?

Maybe he has mellowed a bit?

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 06:56 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Maybe those russians are stalinists?

Maybe he has mellowed a bit?
Could be they were told they'd actually receive the 5 mnths backpay they were owed if they treated Mike nice, hoisted him up like that, pretend for the cameras.... Seems pretty spontaneous & genuine to me though..... As for "mellowing out", yes, I believe he has. Unemployment will do that to a person. Forced introspection. Lots of time to think. In his case no doubt concluding that his Schtick wasnt really all that savvy & productive with players born in the late 60's & 70's let alone the 80's & 90's anymore.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote