HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Request to poll Leaf fans,rank our pool.

View Poll Results: Where does our prospect pool rank?
1-5 11 8.94%
6-10 28 22.76%
11-15 53 43.09%
16-20 27 21.95%
20-25 4 3.25%
26-31 0 0%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-17-2017, 10:51 PM
S2S
6-8-5-13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menzinger View Post
Not sure I'd agree hat the Wild are ahead of the Leafs - they draft well but also didn't have a first round pick last draft.
Kaprizov, Eriksson-Ek, Greenway and Kunin look pretty damn good for the Wild.

Overall going through this thread I'm shocked how many votes are in the top 10. Yes there is some depth. It is quite good. But lots of teams have depth. And when it is your team's depth, it automatically looks better.

When it comes to blue chippers and the tier right below blue chip, we just don't have what many other teams do. And blue chippers > depth.

Is there anyone other than Timothy and Kapanen that you can pencil in a top 6 or top 4 role? Dermott, Grundstrom and Korshkov look good, but they are not guarantees. They should all make the NHL, which is good in itself, but what impact will they make? After them, everyone else is a question mark at this point.

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 11:24 PM
darrylsittler27

Yes , I value fans over so called experts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howehullorr View Post
So reading articles about draft picks is not good, but voting is better?

I'd wonder more about what sites are around and which ones actually do a good of evaluating. Of course, you can do the per usual google exercise (which I did), but wondered if others have some ideas and feedback about this?

I make no apologies and rest my case on that of the fans over the so called experts. One said a prospect pool with Marner,Nylander and Brown plus was 26th.We must explore the reality the fans know more since they don't have the same agenda.Who says the media knows everything? I agree right now with the majority we are not top 10 but are likely in the middle. Kappanen,Liljegren and Dermott will play and so will Grundstrom. Now about Bracco,Greenway,Nielsen,Brooks,Timashov,Korshkov,D zerkials : AHL, another team? I'd say we are still C+ but don't buy we are top 10. To me , the fans are right.

Last edited by darrylsittler27: 07-17-2017 at 11:32 PM.
darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 11:30 PM
93LEAFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menzinger View Post
Not sure I'd agree hat the Wild are ahead of the Leafs - they draft well but also didn't have a first round pick last draft.
Kaprizov and Eriksen-Ek are both top 20 prospects or so. Greenway and Kunin are top 50 guys. The absence of a first doesn't really hurt them short-term. If anything, they are more hurt by trading Tuch to save Dumba (purely prospect wise, overall it was the right move). We might have 3 top 50 guys (Kapanen, Liljegren and Dermott), but there is a strong argument we might only have 1 in Kapanen. I think Liljegren is but he's fringe. Dermott is probably just outside it. Due to positional need, I probably take the Leafs pool over the Wild due to long-term interests, but in a vacuum, I think you pretty clearly take the Wilds.

93LEAFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 11:31 PM
93LEAFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
I make no apologies and rest my case on that of the fans over the so called experts. One said a prospect pool with Marner,Nylander and Brown plus was 26th.We must explore the reality the fans know more since they don't have the same agenda.Who says the media knows everything? I agree right now with the majority we are not top 10 but are likely in the middle. Kappanen,Liljegren and Dermott will play and so will Grundstrom. Now about Bracco,Greenway,Nielsen,Brooks,Timashov,Korshkov,D zerkials : AHL, another team? I'd say we are still C+ but don't buy we are top 10.
Coverage of teams pools post-draft is quite flawed. There are very good sources out there for adequate draft coverage though.

93LEAFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 12:04 PM
howehullorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
Kaprizov, Eriksson-Ek, Greenway and Kunin look pretty damn good for the Wild.

Overall going through this thread I'm shocked how many votes are in the top 10. Yes there is some depth. It is quite good. But lots of teams have depth. And when it is your team's depth, it automatically looks better.

When it comes to blue chippers and the tier right below blue chip, we just don't have what many other teams do. And blue chippers > depth.

Is there anyone other than Timothy and Kapanen that you can pencil in a top 6 or top 4 role? Dermott, Grundstrom and Korshkov look good, but they are not guarantees. They should all make the NHL, which is good in itself, but what impact will they make? After them, everyone else is a question mark at this point.
Agreed. I think its very subjective and a slippery slope to call your depth better than the pack. Teams don't stop drafting so it seems a little naive to think somehow we rise above the pack on this element.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
I make no apologies and rest my case on that of the fans over the so called experts. One said a prospect pool with Marner,Nylander and Brown plus was 26th.We must explore the reality the fans know more since they don't have the same agenda.Who says the media knows everything? I agree right now with the majority we are not top 10 but are likely in the middle. Kappanen,Liljegren and Dermott will play and so will Grundstrom. Now about Bracco,Greenway,Nielsen,Brooks,Timashov,Korshkov,D zerkials : AHL, another team? I'd say we are still C+ but don't buy we are top 10. To me , the fans are right.
Discounting home team bias isn't a particularly wise practice. Fans generally don't spend the amount of time needed on other teams prospects, and then expecting accurate, neutral ratings is a bit optimistic.

I was just really asking a question though. There doesn't seem to be that many outlets or sources for this kind of info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LEAFS View Post
Coverage of teams pools post-draft is quite flawed. There are very good sources out there for adequate draft coverage though.
This is what I seem to have observed as well. Doesn't seem like there's many sources of info, or any kind of big effort on this subject. I was just curious about what other people think or what they've seen that's reasonable.

howehullorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 06:18 PM
4LightAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsNation149 View Post
Liljegren is our only prospect with potential.

Everyone else is just depth 16-20
Kapanen, Korshkov and Dermott all have better than "depth" upside.

4LightAM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 06:50 PM
Vince Vega
Professional User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LEAFS View Post
Kaprizov and Eriksen-Ek are both top 20 prospects or so. Greenway and Kunin are top 50 guys. The absence of a first doesn't really hurt them short-term. If anything, they are more hurt by trading Tuch to save Dumba (purely prospect wise, overall it was the right move). We might have 3 top 50 guys (Kapanen, Liljegren and Dermott), but there is a strong argument we might only have 1 in Kapanen. I think Liljegren is but he's fringe. Dermott is probably just outside it. Due to positional need, I probably take the Leafs pool over the Wild due to long-term interests, but in a vacuum, I think you pretty clearly take the Wilds.
I think Kapanen, Dermott, and Korshkov are top 50 and Grundstrom, Liljegren maybe next summer.

Vince Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 07:50 PM
darrylsittler27

Well, thanks for voting guys.

I agree with the majority, we are not a top 10 prospect pool and nor should we expect to be. We brought up the cream last year and the impact was drastic. I don't think we have seen anything quite like last year since The Oilers in the 80's. We actually cant afford an endless stream of Mathews,Marners and Nylanders anyway. I would say we have quite a few prospects who will never get to play with the Leafs. We do have what we need and that is depth and fill in players(injury). There are no more stars in our pool but some very good top 6 forward and top 4 Dmen with only Liljegren looking to have any star possiblity. Kappanen and Dermott might be good but they won't be all stars. There is nothing wrong with what we have given the lineup we already have which is quite young and about to be expensive. We wont be able to sign all these young guns to the money they want, so prospects will be essential to run the machine. I'm hoping Lou grabs another first rounder for 2018, which should give us a strong 10 year run.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote