HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Line ups

Old
07-21-2013, 11:52 PM
tbcwpg

vCash: 500
Not sure why we have Eric O'Dell rated so highly on these boards. He's good, but I'd like to see him in at least one NHL game before we start penciling him to 3rd line duty over some guys who we know can play there.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:07 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
Not sure why we have Eric O'Dell rated so highly on these boards. He's good, but I'd like to see him in at least one NHL game before we start penciling him to 3rd line duty over some guys who we know can play there.
Jokinen is pushing 35, and even if he has a good season, we're not re-signing him. He's effectively a "rental" this season. And I don't want to risk losing O'Dell to waivers, simply to keep Jokinen up here. Put it another way, if you were GM at another team, and O'Dell was your player, would you trade away O'Dell for Jokinen?

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:21 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaveJesus View Post
For some reason I completely that we'll get to see all these guys in the preseason. I really hope Trouba, Scheifele, Petan and Lowry tear it up on in the preseason.

I bet you anything Trouba, Petan and Lowry become stars. Scheifele probably a decent second line center.
Do not understand thinking behind things like this at all...

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke89 View Post
Do not understand thinking behind things like this at all...
We will be lucky if ONE of those 4 players becomes a star. We will be very lucky if 3 of the 4 are productive NHL players.

Petan and Lowry are both a loooong way away from NHL action. Way too early to say. For Lowry look no further than Ivan Telegin, super hyped after a solid 19 year old year now everybody is really down on due to a subpar AHL rookie year. The truth lies somewhere in the middle, as it will for Lowry, IMO.

Petan is flashy, whether he can compete at the NHL level is a question that remains to be seen (and won't be for quite some time yet 3-4 years).

Trouba and Scheifele are knocking on the door of the NHL, but their longterm upside is still very much in doubt.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:22 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooboy View Post
Anyone who thinks Mark isn't the heir apparent to Winnipeg's future line centre, isn't on the same page as TrueNorth's hockey brain trust.
Chevy used those exact words. Something like "We see mark as a future top line centre.
Then look at our development program, the Roberts training. There is probably a "C" out there in the dreams of all involved in the Jets success.

However who that top line will consist of is very much a question mark.

Future. That is the key term.
Scheif Kane Petan could be a 1B waiting for thief succession.

Chevy also said something about drafting and developing picks not falling in love with a player.

They can just wash out and slip away like many have in the past.

Personally I like Mark's chances.
I have no doubt that Chevy wants Mark to be that guy, but want is very different from "is." Scheifele isn't there yet and may never get there. Plenty of kids have had junior careers on par with our guyvand amounted to zip. Infact most have struggled to male the move to pro.

...but Mark is our guy and pretty much has to be because there is no real backup plan in the system. If Mark flops we could be looking at another 3-5 years before the Jets have a #1 centre and nobody wants that.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:31 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
We will be lucky if ONE of those 4 players becomes a star. We will be very lucky if 3 of the 4 are productive NHL players.

Petan and Lowry are both a loooong way away from NHL action. Way too early to say. For Lowry look no further than Ivan Telegin, super hyped after a solid 19 year old year now everybody is really down on due to a subpar AHL rookie year. The truth lies somewhere in the middle, as it will for Lowry, IMO.

Petan is flashy, whether he can compete at the NHL level is a question that remains to be seen (and won't be for quite some time yet 3-4 years).

Trouba and Scheifele are knocking on the door of the NHL, but their longterm upside is still very much in doubt.
With Ivan he has really been cursed by the injury bug and that is my major concern. this will be a big season for him and if he can get back on the path and avoid missed time due to injury then he still has some very taltelizing skills but his game needs to continue to grow.

I look at Lowry a little differently personally. To me he is a more safe prospect with a higher probability of landing in a bottom 6 role than Ivan and therefore I believe he has a much higher chance of making the NHL. his work ethic, character, intelligence, and 6'5" frame all lead me to believe he will figure out his role and adapt. I see Adam's upside as a 2nd line player and who knows if he gets there but I do like his chances of making the NHL allot. I am looking forward to watching Adam in St John's and seeing how he adapts at the next level and what his point production is like?

Petan I agree. after seeing him play live I firmly believe he will score points at a very good rate as a professional somewhere. Now will that be the NHL.........Who knows? I look at him as boom bust NHL prospect and a pretty good risk for a 2nd round pick. Lots of next steps for Nic though.......prospects tourney, Team canada camp, Jets training camp, then his encore to last season. I am really interested to see how he handles the next 3 or 4 hurdles.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:44 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I have no doubt that Chevy wants Mark to be that guy, but want is very different from "is." Scheifele isn't there yet and may never get there. Plenty of kids have had junior careers on par with our guyvand amounted to zip. Infact most have struggled to male the move to pro.

...but Mark is our guy and pretty much has to be because there is no real backup plan in the system. If Mark flops we could be looking at another 3-5 years before the Jets have a #1 centre and nobody wants that.
yea we all want Mark to succeed but that next step is huge. If Mark snaps an ankle on the jump then we may need to make a larger trade in the next 2 seasons. as long as he adapts over the next 24 months then I am fine with a Little Scheifele one two punch for now personally.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:53 PM
PensFan6687

Would love to see Petan work himself into a 9 game NHL stint. I think he has shown all he can do at the WHL level. Dominating in that league. Too young for the AHL, so would be interesting to see what he can do this Fall leading up to the season.

Not ignoring what some have said... but would be nice to see him get a longer look... hopefully some preseason games. I mean this team is all about giving the inexperienced prospects one-way contracts and guys like Scheifele NHL stints based on a strong preseason contest. lol

Call me eager and impatient. This team is starving for this kind of talent.

Last edited by PensFan6687: 07-24-2013 at 08:14 AM.
PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote