HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs Express Interest in Brodeur

Old
06-28-2014, 08:20 PM
DirtyJerzey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegi90 View Post
you know whats funny then? when brodeur was having a streak or winning consecutive games, schneider literally always got to play game between there but when schneider was having streak, brodeur never got to.

it started there in oct-nov when one of schneider's interviews he publicly said that he would like to play more and i think alarm went off in lou's office that we can't keep him in the bench this much and as everyone knows, it never happened really anymore and he got to play for literally month row in january and always got that game here and there, even during brodeur's streaks.

i completely understand cory, i completely understand why marty wants to leave and i completely understand why marty was pissed at the times.
very true, and i honestly think its because Lou didnt want to lose cory after this year. i actually agree with those moves. he needed to play those games it was a must. if cory was legit martys back up and not the 1a 1b semi set up they had this year shniederman would sign with another team after his contract was up

but this isnt about cory and marty its about marty leaving and to me it seems our almighty brodeur is gone. he feels he has some gas left in the tank so let him run with it, i mean personally like him to retire wearing the red white and black but it is what it is

DirtyJerzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:
and u know what's common with those "streaks"? - he got to play more than just one game a month.

that when marty won 7 of his 8 consecutive starts, he allowed only 10 goals in 8 games and thats against 7 playoffs teams there, only team which wasn't a playoff team was predators during that streak. thats the reason why marty won more games, he was better when it mattered.

brodeur: 19 wins and 13 of them being against playoff teams.

brodeur: longest winning streak 5 games

schneider: 16 wins and 6 of them being against playoff teams.

schneider: longest winning streak: 3 games

just fyi.
He kept starting games after that as well. And he did poorly. Which is probably the reason why he wasn't allowed to keep starting games. This is not something that is unusual. He didn't stop playing many games in a row because the coach just decided that he didn't want to win. He stopped playing many games in a row because he didn't do well. This happens with every team that platoons goaltenders, and is definitely nothing unique for Marty. And yet, platooning goaltenders seldom end up with a .901Sv%.

No, the reason why Marty did better in #Winz was because he got more goal support. The team managed to win despite him allowing 3 goals, him allowing 4 goals, him allowing 3 goals on 9 shots and being replaced by Schneider. Brodeur had 7 wins in games he allowed 3 goals or more. Schneider had 1. Schneider had 5 wins in games he didn't have quality starts. Brodeur had 8. Brodeur had 2 OTL and 2 L while providing quality starts. Schneider had 8 OTL and 5 L while providing quality starts.

When Brodeur did poorly, the team found a way to win. When Schneider did well, the team found a way to lose. I would be amazed to see this happen again.

Old
06-28-2014, 08:38 PM
JackJ

Rather have a goaltender with some experience who's decent enough to hold the fort should Bernier falter or suffer an injury.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:01 PM
TheThrill81
So Hot

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Reim View Post
Phaneuf is only slightly worse than McD, and Bernier > Lundqvist who is over paid and getting too old to be competitive anymore.
False, and false x100.

TheThrill81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:14 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I have no ********** clue what this team is doing. Brodeur, Boyle..

Good grief, they haven't signed anyone yet. All they have done is to express interest - as they should if it will improve the team. As for Brodeur, he seems to have accepted that he is now a backup and who better than arguably the best ever to mentor Bernier for a year or two?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:18 PM
ChesapeakeRipper
Dr. Hannibal Lecter

vCash: 50
I want either one of Brodeur, Bryzgalov, or Hiller as a back-up to Bernier.

As long as we get one of them for 2M or less per, I'm happy.

ChesapeakeRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:06 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Goaltending controversy 2015 will be more drama filled than 2014 if this happens.

The Leafs need less drama, not more of it.

This would be an unnecessary distraction.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:36 PM
Mickey Mouse

Anyone who thinks Marty will be satisfied being a backup hasn't followed his career very closely. The guy is a competitor and a warrior with a very high opinion of himself and his skills. None of that is meant to be a slight against him. It's actually what made him so successful in his long and storied career. Marty THOUGHT he could be a backup to Cory, but his competitive fire still burned too hot. He may say all of the right things but if he doesn't retire it's because he thinks he can still play at a high level. He will never be satisfied as a backup.

The sad thing is his mind is willing but his body can no longer back his desire up. He's done. I really wish he would just decide to ride into the sunset before his legacy is forever tarnished. He has 3 Cups and just about every record a goalie could hope to have. He has nothing left to prove. Part of wanting him to retire is for selfish reasons on my part. I want him to retire a Devil. I want him to be all ours. Seeing a shell of Marty in another uniform will be heartbreaking.

To any Devil fan that talks trash about Marty, think of where this team was before he came along. Then think of the immediate transformation once he got here. We've been competitive ever since. Gretz wasn't wrong when he called us a Mickey Mouse organization. Marty was a big reason all of that changed.

If he does sign elsewhere I'll wish him luck. I won't allow bitterness (looking at you Devil fans) to cloud my immense respect for him. I won't trash him and his declining skills. I won't call him greedy or delusional, nor will I suddenly find a thousand things wrong with any of his time here.

With that said, please retire Marty. Make the Devils sweater the only one you will have ever worn.

Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 11:53 PM
Hambone15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ail View Post
Yeah I can totally see the Leafs making the Finals this year...

lol.

While I agree with you, everyone thought the same of the Rangers this year.

Hambone15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 12:10 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post

Good grief, they haven't signed anyone yet. All they have done is to express interest - as they should if it will improve the team. As for Brodeur, he seems to have accepted that he is now a backup and who better than arguably the best ever to mentor Bernier for a year or two?
"As they should if it will improve the team"" This is where my point is getting completely ignored. Brodeur is not an improvement over Reimer to be quite honest. I'm not looking at his past and what he did 7-10 years ago. I'm looking at what he did last year, he had a .901 SV% pretty ****** if you ask me, even Reimer had a better SV% And I don't want to hear about GAA. SV% is the better indicator of a goalie's stature then GAA. Reimer had a SV% of .924 just two years ago. Brodeur has had SV%'s of .901, .901, .908, .903. How is that an improvement on what we've had??

The man is barely stopping 90% of the shots he faces...But hey let's ignore the stats

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 01:58 AM
Jordalenko

Quote:
I have no ********** clue what this team is doing. Brodeur, Boyle..heck might as well call about Iginla and Jagr while we're at it.
As a longtime VAN fan I can tell you Nonis is following the same blueprint he did here. He has taken his time to assess the culture of the team he inherited just as he did in Vancouver. He will not make a trade that doesn't benefit the team but he will have the guts to 'fish or cut bait' in difficult situations.

This trade is primarily about Phaneuf. Phaneuf has very little value because he is a cancer. That is clear now. He is OK on the ice but not what you want for the money. Maybe one day Nonis will get rid of him and you will have a better team for it. BUT, he has bent over backwards and done everything possible to recover the asset that he and Burke believed they had. How can you fault him for that? Polaks addition has benefits from a lot of angles. The benefit to Phaneuf is just one.

Unfortunately when you have so many problems you can't dump a problem player and turn him into a good player. This trade is an example of when you have to give to get. Gunnarson's problem is he has played to his potential in a position of relative strength. So Gunnarson is the decent player who has played to his potential who gets dealt for a guy who appears to have a very similar asset value. Yet Nonis adds a 4th pick AND he retains salary!?

But when you break it down it is a better trade for Toronto than it is for STL. First, Nonis made the call so he was dealing from weakness. Yet he didn't get hurt too much for that. Breaking it down Polak is part of the solution, not part of the problem, in STL and Nonis got him when he wasn't for sale. Part of the cost was evening out the salary. By keeping 200k Gunnarson and Polak make the same money fair enough to me. Another part of the cost was that he gave up a lower mid round pick as the cost of being the guy who wanted something the other team didn't want to give up.

So what does Nonis get? A straw to stir the drink? Maybe. What's that worth? Polak is someone who can play with Phaneuf and make him look good when he takes a night off. He is a right shot D, balances out the L/R D on the roster. Which keeps the kids on the 2nd and 3rd pair until they develop. So he will settle down your young D as they develop in front of your young-ish goalie. That is worth a lot when Reilly and Gardiner are some of your most important assets.

Nonis getting Brodeur would have an obvious psychological benefit to the team too. You need to understand that the leafs are like a plant with over grown veterans and under developed youth. You just need the right pruning with select watering (additions) and you are not that many years away.

So when you trade Lupul for a 2nd and a winger to play on the 3rd line with Holland - try to take the long view and show Nonis some respect.

Jordalenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 03:08 AM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
and u know what's common with those "streaks"? - he got to play more than just one game a month.

that when marty won 7 of his 8 consecutive starts, he allowed only 10 goals in 8 games and thats against 7 playoffs teams there, only team which wasn't a playoff team was predators during that streak. thats the reason why marty won more games, he was better when it mattered.

brodeur: 19 wins and 13 of them being against playoff teams.

brodeur: longest winning streak 5 games

schneider: 16 wins and 6 of them being against playoff teams.

schneider: longest winning streak: 3 games

just fyi.
The best part of this argument is the game that Marty was pulled against Florida because he was horrendous in the first period. Cory came in and shut the door.. Marty gets the win because of how stats are kept in the NHL.

Brodeur had a great two week stretch this season and was pretty subpar the rest of the way. I'm sure he's still capable of occasionally playing at that high level but it's not consistent enough to be an NHL starter anymore. He shouldn't have gotten anywhere near the amount of games he got this year.

I don't really want him in another jersey but its up to him. If he wants to continue playing for whatever reason, go for it. I'd love for the people who think he should retire to be told one day they can no longer work the job they love. He may not be able to do it well anymore.. but it's his right to try until he wants to give up.

Eric Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 06:34 AM
Pegi90*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPinzz View Post
very true, and i honestly think its because Lou didnt want to lose cory after this year. i actually agree with those moves. he needed to play those games it was a must. if cory was legit martys back up and not the 1a 1b semi set up they had this year shniederman would sign with another team after his contract was up

but this isnt about cory and marty its about marty leaving and to me it seems our almighty brodeur is gone. he feels he has some gas left in the tank so let him run with it, i mean personally like him to retire wearing the red white and black but it is what it is
well of course retiring with the devils would be ideal but since the scenario is this, nothing we can do about it.

and somehow, its kinda fascinating to see stuff like this happening u could have never imagined.

Pegi90* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 06:43 AM
GOAT AINEC

He should have retired a long time ago. Now he is going to retire a complete joke and have some forgettable season with another team.

GOAT AINEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 06:54 AM
GOAT AINEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Reim View Post
Cause if the Rangers with their two best players being a buyout candidate who can barely play and an over paid winger who can't score can make the finals, it proves how high the standards are.

Kessel Bozak and JVR are better than any forward on the rangers, and Kadri = stephan, and might over take him this year.

Phaneuf is only slightly worse than McD, and Bernier > Lundqvist who is over paid and getting too old to be competitive anymore.
Troll of the year..

Last edited by GOAT AINEC: 06-29-2014 at 07:01 AM.
GOAT AINEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 07:01 AM
Pegi90*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
He kept starting games after that as well. And he did poorly. Which is probably the reason why he wasn't allowed to keep starting games. This is not something that is unusual. He didn't stop playing many games in a row because the coach just decided that he didn't want to win. He stopped playing many games in a row because he didn't do well. This happens with every team that platoons goaltenders, and is definitely nothing unique for Marty. And yet, platooning goaltenders seldom end up with a .901Sv%.

No, the reason why Marty did better in #Winz was because he got more goal support. The team managed to win despite him allowing 3 goals, him allowing 4 goals, him allowing 3 goals on 9 shots and being replaced by Schneider. Brodeur had 7 wins in games he allowed 3 goals or more. Schneider had 1. Schneider had 5 wins in games he didn't have quality starts. Brodeur had 8. Brodeur had 2 OTL and 2 L while providing quality starts. Schneider had 8 OTL and 5 L while providing quality starts.

When Brodeur did poorly, the team found a way to win. When Schneider did well, the team found a way to lose. I would be amazed to see this happen again.
there was times when cory was constatly losing and marty was winning but they still shared to workload even schneider had absolutely horrible games agains the red wings and panthers and some other team, allowing like 16 goals in 3 games but he still got to play. if this happened to marty, he would sit month as he did even it was just a matter of 1 game.

those quality starts you are countin are the ones where our goaltender seems to have save % over 92 or something. you for example, didn't count the wins against bruins and ducks marty won by allowing 3 goals on both. not to mention that glove save marty robbed perreault in OT against the ducks, whole honda center stood up for celebrating the goal but replay showed it was marty's glove got the puck from goal line and devils nailed it few mins later, count that as a "non quality" start cause of save %, ok

cory won 6 playoff teams whole year, seems we got so much quality him being in the net. quality means in new jersey quality, not good or decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sachs View Post
The best part of this argument is the game that Marty was pulled against Florida because he was horrendous in the first period. Cory came in and shut the door.. Marty gets the win because of how stats are kept in the NHL.

Brodeur had a great two week stretch this season and was pretty subpar the rest of the way. I'm sure he's still capable of occasionally playing at that high level but it's not consistent enough to be an NHL starter anymore. He shouldn't have gotten anywhere near the amount of games he got this year.

I don't really want him in another jersey but its up to him. If he wants to continue playing for whatever reason, go for it. I'd love for the people who think he should retire to be told one day they can no longer work the job they love. He may not be able to do it well anymore.. but it's his right to try until he wants to give up.
still doesn't change a fact marty had better winning % and more wins with less games played so how on earth u base that assumption that marty shouldnt have had that many games when stats CLEARLY saying that when we won more games while marty being on goal?

imagine if marty didn't get this many starts this year? with cory's 37% winning percent out 5-6 won games out of 10 would have turned into 3-4, we would have been even further from playoff spot.

people are saying we should have played cory 20 games more and if we wanted to make playoffs, marty won 11 of those 20 games so cory would have needed to win about 15-16 of them so it would have meant 75% winning out of sudden. not to mention he couldnt pull off a longer winning streak than 3 games in whole year so where u got that assumption cory should have played more when facts speaking behalf of the fact marty should have played more?

Quote:
"As they should if it will improve the team"" This is where my point is getting completely ignored. Brodeur is not an improvement over Reimer to be quite honest. I'm not looking at his past and what he did 7-10 years ago. I'm looking at what he did last year, he had a .901 SV% pretty ****** if you ask me, even Reimer had a better SV% And I don't want to hear about GAA. SV% is the better indicator of a goalie's stature then GAA. Reimer had a SV% of .924 just two years ago. Brodeur has had SV%'s of .901, .901, .908, .903. How is that an improvement on what we've had??

The man is barely stopping 90% of the shots he faces...But hey let's ignore the stats
best indicator for goalie's stature is your own eyes. then comes wins which means you beat the opposite goalie aka you were better than him. then comes gga, the rate how many goals you allow in, the less goals you allow in = more games u will win. then comes sv %, this stat is made up those "stat freaks", such a stat wasnt even around few decades ago.

that's the golden recipe for winning the games for goalies and its all what matters.

the thing you seem not to understand is that bernier is your guy in the future so what on earth you do with the unhappy reimer there in background, backing up bernier for next 10 years meanwhile he has his whole career ahead of him.

brodeur comes to the leafs, plays that many games as he gets, based on the performance on the ice and giving great leadership on top of that and bernier's childhood idol mentoring him would just make him better goalie than he already is.

Pegi90* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 07:03 AM
bullsfan72

I don't know how you can say Reimer is as good as Brodeur? They don't play on the same team with the same players to make any comparison you need that . And to be honest if you watched the Leafs play they have no confidence whatsoever in Reimer

bullsfan72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 08:37 AM
Celly Hard

Don't want Brodeour anywhere near the leafs.. Porky little turd in my highschool was nuts about him. I hate that kid. Everytime I look at marty ill think about that ******.

Celly Hard is offline   Reply With Quote