HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Windsor Spitfires 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 7)

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2017, 05:46 PM
tomschman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Agree with pretty much everything OHLTG,has written here to add some more views/ info.
Regarding Fallowfield, everything is settled he is a Spitfire,and yes he was very impressive this afternoon,can see he has higher level experience and I expect him to be in the thick of things regardless who returns or not.
31 players participated today,no current Spitfires,unlike other years,the team was given the weekend off,so youngsters drafted last year, Corcoran,Angle, Playfair did not take part.In fact only 4 players from last year's draft skated today,Bowler,Burns, Young and Aloise.Others away included,St Cyr,Elser,Baier,Farrandino,Silverio.
17 out of the 20 players drafted by Windsor this were here today.2 American D who are headed to US Development team,Webber and Fensone, along with 17 year old forward Evan Benwell who still is playing were not here.
There were 7 free agents here today,2 of them caught my eye,OHLTG,touched on one them,Dman Joey Tritone,a late 2000 born-Nov from Wisconsin was very physical,mobile,,with a good shot, definitely worth a look at main camp,and 99 born forward Davis Teigen-Katsumi from Tier 2 from Pickering,he scored a goal in the 2-0 scrimmage as well as goal in the 3 on the 3 session,was around the puck a good part of the day, another guy who deserves a look at main camp.The other 5 free agents worked hard but did not stand out for me.
Other players that I noticed or can can comment on,Bobby Burns who played D last year,played forward today, apparently did so the last part of this past season and did well, today he looked very good on the wing,was very physical, around the puck,made smart plays,he is now 6'2" or a shade under and nearly 220 Lbs,a handful to deal with ,would be shocked if he doesn't make the team this coming year.Another forward who caught my eye was the last player chosen by Windsor in the extra draft,winger Michael O'Brien,nice size,good scoring touch, physical,good hockey sense,a late born 99,-Nov,
I do think he has a chance come this fall.
16 year old dmen,Nathan Staios,Louka Henault,Erik Yelle,all had good days in my view,while 16 year old forwards, Daniel D'Amico,Markus Paterson, Jordan Frasca, Austin Brimmer,Mathew,Crasa,showed well today.Others such as Cameron Recchi and Mike Andrews had their moments but were not quite as good as the others listed above.
I agree about Michael Aloise,he was a presence,scored a goal in the 3 on 3, clearly his year at Ridley College helped him this past year.
Another forward who looked good all day was late 99 born forward William Sirman, drafted 2 years, showed good skill, hustle, physicality,could be one to watch in the fall.
The 2 goalies played very well especially in the 2-0 scrimmage,Lukas Patton and late 2000 born goalie ,Patrick O' Leary,who got the shutout in the 2-0 scrimmage really played well on this day,too bad for him,that Dipietro and Baier are ahead of him on the goalie depth chart.
All in all a pretty good

day of action,in fact one father of a
player told me,that London's camp last weekend was far less physical then the one today in Windsor, most everybody was finishing their checks,and their were some good ones today.
I wish Windsor had a 2 day camp like some of the others,to get maybe a more fair look at all the participants.
I agree with both comments. While the players mentioned all looked good, I did not see any of them that had the "wow" factor as players such as current Spits Villardi and Purboo did in the Prospect Camps. Fallowfield was definitely the best, but he is an 18YO with Junior B experience that was playing against mostly 15 to 17YO midgets. I was impressed with Trifone, a high school player from Wisconsin.

I don't know how many are ready for the OHL, but we could have as many as 8 from this camp on the team next season. So hopefully players from this Camp can make themselves ready. The Spits should be returning 12-15 players from this team, so that means 8 to 11 players will be new and that counts Playfair as a returnee, though he spent most of the year at LaSalle. The 3 question marks are Sergachev, Day and Villardi. Assuming none return, that means 11 bodies are needed. The new players will include Baier and probably 1 or 2 Imports, depending on Sergachev. Gauven and Rychel are other possibilities. Assuming there are no free agents signed or Veteran players traded for multiple players, we will need 6 to 8 players from this group. Add in the fact that Brown, Stanley and DiPietro (and possibly others) could be in NHL camps at the beginning of the season, there are a lot of opportunities for this group.

Old
04-23-2017, 06:02 PM
may know

Quote:
day of action,in fact one father of a
player told me,that London's camp last weekend was far less physical then the one today in Windsor, most everybody was finishing their checks,and their were some good ones today.
I wish Windsor had a 2 day camp like some of the others,to get maybe a more fair look at all the participants.
So Fallowfield's dad?

Old
04-23-2017, 08:19 PM
OHLTG

Looks like Trifone made an impression...

Rychel on Trifone...

Old
04-23-2017, 09:23 PM
hockeylegend11

Spits

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Looks like Trifone made an impression...

Rychel on Trifone...
Not surprised Rachel liked him,a big body guy with skill and physicality,might allow them to keep Bobby Burns upfront.
In fact one line I would use at main camp would be O'Brien with Aloise on the left wing,and Burns on the right,those 3 today we're the most physical by far upfront, O'Brien and Aloise both scored, while Burns made some nice plays all day,Aloise is 5'11",185,Burns almost 6'2"-220;and O'Brien 6'-195,they would be a wrecking crew with some skill tossed in,food for thought.

Old
04-23-2017, 09:33 PM
SpItFiReZ

Sounds like we could have a potential glut of defensmen though many are quite young and will need some seasoning.

Could see (depending on NHL, offseason moves): Sergachev, Stanley, Day, Nother, McEneny, Corcoran, Staois, Fallowfeild, Henault, Trifone, Gauvin, Robertson (not likely brought back as an OA).

Old
04-23-2017, 09:39 PM
OHLTG

I'm not expecting much from Gauvin, nor do I expect Robertson to make the club if McEneny is an option.

Old
04-23-2017, 10:12 PM
hockeylegend11

Spits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post
Sounds like we could have a potential glut of defensmen though many are quite young and will need some seasoning.

Could see (depending on NHL, offseason moves): Sergachev, Stanley, Day, Nother, McEneny, Corcoran, Staois, Fallowfeild, Henault, Trifone, Gauvin, Robertson (not likely brought back as an OA).
Of the 12 listed,and some will disagree,I still think that Sergachev and Day both are not ready for the pros,NHL for Sergachev and AHL for Day, Stanley not ready for NHL either,I can see Robertson and Gauvin out of the mix,and depending on camp or trades could see Henault in Jr B,and McEneny moved, depending on the the big 3 I spoke about.
The 8 that could start the year could be Corcoran, Nother, Stanley if not traded, Trifone, Staios, Fallowfield,Day, Sergachev,with Henault and McEneny in for Sergachev and Day if both don't return,if 1 does, McEneny goes.
Too bad Gauvin is 19, and not playing much the last 2 years,maybe a hard summer's work will put him in the mix,just don't know.
Another dman with upside is Eric Yelle,he did look good today,a bit of seasoning and I could see him here by 2018 season, ditto for Pizzuto too.

Old
04-23-2017, 10:27 PM
hockeylegend11

Based on mostly today's viewing the following players may IMO bid for a spot on Windsor next season,or beyond in some cases
On D,the likes of Staios, Henault, Trifone and Fallowfield all will be in the mix
Upfront look for the following to challenge for a spot
Sirman(99), O'Brien(99),Burns(2000), Aloise (2000),Loon-Stewardson,(2000),Brimmer(2001), D'amico (2001),guys we did not see today,Rychel(99), Playfair (2000)
And Evan Benwell who was the 1st pick in the extra draft.
Goalie Patrick O'Leary a late 2000 will become the 3rd tender in my view, behind Dipietro and Baier.
Forwards such as Frasca, Crasa and Paterson had some good moments and will be interesting to track their future,you can put winger Michael Andrews in that group too.
As mentioned before I liked the efforts of Pizzuto and Yelle,think both have a future especially Yelle just need season in B,as I am sure some of the others that spoke about can use seasoning too.

Old
04-24-2017, 03:30 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Based on mostly today's viewing the following players may IMO bid for a spot on Windsor next season,or beyond in some cases
On D,the likes of Staios, Henault, Trifone and Fallowfield all will be in the mix
Upfront look for the following to challenge for a spot
Sirman(99), O'Brien(99),Burns(2000), Aloise (2000),Loon-Stewardson,(2000),Brimmer(2001), D'amico (2001),guys we did not see today,Rychel(99), Playfair (2000)
And Evan Benwell who was the 1st pick in the extra draft.
Goalie Patrick O'Leary a late 2000 will become the 3rd tender in my view, behind Dipietro and Baier.
Forwards such as Frasca, Crasa and Paterson had some good moments and will be interesting to track their future,you can put winger Michael Andrews in that group too.
As mentioned before I liked the efforts of Pizzuto and Yelle,think both have a future especially Yelle just need season in B,as I am sure some of the others that spoke about can use seasoning too.
Appreciate the comments from those who attended the mini camp. Wish I had been there for a look myself...

Old
04-24-2017, 12:07 PM
tomschman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post

As I was watching the scrimmage in which the D and Goaltenders dominated, it looked like a Spits games. Where is the scoring?

I thought of an old baseball story in which the Brooklyn Dodgers had great pitching and no hitting. A scout called the GM to say he had just seen a amateur game in which the pitcher had struck out 26 of 27 batters and the other out was a foul pop up. The GM told him to sign the guy that hit the foul ball.

Old
04-24-2017, 12:39 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomschman View Post
As I was watching the scrimmage in which the D and Goaltenders dominated, it looked like a Spits games. Where is the scoring?

I thought of an old baseball story in which the Brooklyn Dodgers had great pitching and no hitting. A scout called the GM to say he had just seen a amateur game in which the pitcher had struck out 26 of 27 batters and the other out was a foul pop up. The GM told him to sign the guy that hit the foul ball.
Even Rychel said the skill they have is on D and not up front and that's the clear issue moving forward. Look at the Erie Otters and Owen Sound Attack and their top 6 D how they acquired them

Byrne 4th round pick
Sambrook 10th round pick
Cernak 1st round import 54th overall
Raddysh 5th round pick
Fergus 8th round pick
Headrick 14th round pick

Friend FA
Cameron FA
Durzi 12th round pick
Centorame trade 4th round OHL pick
Bourque trade 3rd round OHL pick
Phillips 1st round pick

12 D, only OHL 1st round pick was Phillips, Cernak 1st round import. After that you have a mix of 4th/5th round picks, couple FAs, and 3 guys selected after the 9th round. There really isn't a lot of value right now taking a D in the 1st round you need top notch forwards who can put the puck in the net, push the pace, play with speed.

Old
04-24-2017, 01:33 PM
EON

vCash: 400
Hit the 1000 post limit, on to Part 8: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...hp?p=131411391

Closed Thread