HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Patrik Elias, HOF?

View Poll Results: Patrik Elias, HHOF?
Yes 64 64.00%
No 36 36.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-16-2013, 03:43 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
He's been a good player for a long time, had some great seasons, has won, but I don't see him in the HOF. He never had that stand-out individual performance that I think an HOFer needs.

Mind you, he's better than a few of the guys they put in there, so who knows.
In 2000-01, Elias was 3rd in scoring behind Jagr and Sakic, despite playing on a team that rolled 4 lines. He led the 2000 and 2001 Devils teams that went to back to back finals in scoring in both the regular season and playoffs both years.

When did Mats Sundin, Dino Ciccarelli, or Joe Niewuendyk (just to name a few) ever reach that height?

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Kershaw

Unfortunately due to playing for a lesser market team and having no individual accolades, Elias will probably get boned by the HHOF committee.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:04 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Unfortunately due to playing for a lesser market team and having no individual accolades, Elias will probably get boned by the HHOF committee.
Quite possible, though he's exactly the type of player that a future Veteran's Committee would love, as a major contributor to a team that won 2 Cups and went to 4 finals while he was there.

Look at it this way - the Devils went to 3 finals in 4 years from 2000-2003. Elias led them in regular season scoring all 4 years, and led or tied for the lead in playoff scoring in 3 of the 4 years (all but the 2003 Cup win).

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 08:55 PM
Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
this is where you lose me. one shouldn't have to mention the "elite" wing of the HOF. by it's nature, the entire HHOF should be elite and it's sad how diluted the place has become. Elias has been an excellent player but to me he is not one of the best to ever play the game and I wouldn't vote for him.

I wish we could take players out of the hall of fame and make it an elite hall for the best of the best, and not just the "hall of very good players and/or those who have played a long time"
If your criteria is "best to ever play the game", your Hall is going to have like 20 members. It's an absurd criteria. The true criteria is, were they one of the best players of their era? How do they compare to their peers?

And as I said above, Elias compares very well. As others have said, if he played for Detroit with *exactly* the same numbers he would have been a multiple time Selke finalist and in Detroit would be revered as a demigod. As I said, the difference between the *perceived* accomplishments of Elias, and his true value, is just mind-blowing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
In 2000-01, Elias was 3rd in scoring behind Jagr and Sakic, despite playing on a team that rolled 4 lines. He led the 2000 and 2001 Devils teams that went to back to back finals in scoring in both the regular season and playoffs both years.

When did Mats Sundin, Dino Ciccarelli, or Joe Niewuendyk (just to name a few) ever reach that height?
Indeed. Elias is truly one of the best of his generation, but the following factors will IMO kill his HOF chances:
  • Played for a team that garners almost no national media attention
  • Individually as a player, was almost ignored totally by national hockey media during his career even when he was at his best
  • Played in one of the lowest scoring eras in NHL history, hurting his career totals by a large amount
  • Missed 1.5 seasons due to lockouts - both when he was scoring at a PPG pace
Elias will finish with around 400 goals and 1000+ points...but it if wasn't for lockouts he'd probably have had a real good shot at 1200 points. If you analyze properly it's very difficult to make the case that he was not a HOF player.

But circumstance and playing for the Devils, one of the most overlooked franchises despite being the 2nd most dominant franchise of the past 20 years, will probably kill his Hall chances.

If he played for an Original Six team, and the lockouts didn't happen, this question wouldn't be being asked. It would be considered a joke for him to not be in the Hall if not for circumstance.

Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 08:59 PM
rocketxav9

kariya before elias

rocketxav9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Eisen

Is he worse than Nieuwendyk? I think not but then again, I don't think he should be there either.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryHank View Post
Name me one player that had "star" power that played for the Devils.
Stevens?

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:28 PM
startainfection*

if he retired today no, when he retires with well over 1000 points he will

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Evincar
I have found the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
if he retired today no, when he retires with well over 1000 points he will
I have never really understood this logic.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:54 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
I have never really understood this logic.
because he is lacking in individual accomplishments and being a 1000 point scorer will help him get some more recognition for being a great player that wasn't just playing on a consistent contender through out his career

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote