IHOP @ Ducks 7pm

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2014, 09:31 AM
mighty all the way

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks8 View Post
That was awesome. Their reactions were priceless. It's one of those things where you had to be there.
Haha yeah my gf got a picture of them two laughing, I'll post it once she sends it to me. Who were you in the crowd?

Old
03-19-2014, 09:53 AM
evomacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
Haha yeah my gf got a picture of them two laughing, I'll post it once she sends it to me. Who were you in the crowd?
you got to post it.

Old
03-19-2014, 10:20 AM
El Zilcho
Still mighty

An Andersen/Gibson tandem next year would make no sense. Let Gibson start the majority of AHL games to develop him, he won't improve sitting on the bench as somebody else said, it's not NHL 14. Let Hiller walk, sign a veteran to split games with Freddie. If Gibson forces the issue of coming up so be it.

Old
03-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Snoop Dogg
Gin & Juice

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Frankly, I'd absolutely hate to see Giguere signed here. Not sugarcoating it. I think he's done, and I think he's a significantly below average backup at this point. I really wouldn't want him, even if we had a 60-game workhorse starter. He's a tremendous person, but I would not want him as a player.
I don't really want to sign him either, but I don't think I'd call him a "significantly below average backup". He's having a decent season for the Avs.

If Hiller doesn't re-sign (and I hope he doesn't), I think going after a guy like Brian Elliot or maybe even Tomas Vokoun (if healthy) would make sense.

Last edited by Snoop Dogg: 03-19-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old
03-19-2014, 10:29 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666Ducks666 View Post
I don't really want to sign him either, but I don't think I'd call him a "significantly below average backup". He's having a decent season for the Avs.
His numbers are still up from the hot start to the season. I think he has been quite atrocious over the past few months. There aren't that many backups that I wouldn't rather have.

Old
03-19-2014, 10:41 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

I'd love Greiss as a back up next year, he's put up some pretty solid back up numbers the last few years and shouldn't be too expensive to sign. Plus he's played his whole career in the Pacific division, so perhaps he'll be easier to sign. Though he's never played over 20 NHL games in a season on the other hand.

Elliot could be another interesting one, and since arriving in St Louis has shown the ability to be a guy who could pick up the slack if a starter falters for a little while. But I'd be somewhat worried his turnaround in St Louis is more due to system then becoming a better netminder, and perhaps a team is desperate enough to think he could be a starter and throw extra money and/or term at him.

Old
03-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Markus078

Still mixed feelings about Viktor being traded. The problem was the situation had to be cleared up. But to me it seems that Hiller needs to battle for his life. Andersen and Gibson for a whole season, come on, that's way too much risk. 2015 ok but not next year.

Old
03-19-2014, 10:59 AM
Emerald Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by broman View Post
Elsewhere, Vanek scores a hattie with 2 PP goals. Glad we didn't dish out for a rental that we do not need. Oh wait.
Just goes to show what skilled players can do in the right system

Getzlaf should not be on the point. His strength is on the half wall. However without Souray (or Vatanen when he can actually get his shot on net), we don't have any slapshot threat from the blue line. The only time we did score on the PP was when Maroon was blocking Halak as Perry usually does - except now Perry swings around the baseline and half way to receive a pass. If Getzlaf could win more faceoffs then we wouldn't need Bonino on the 1st PP and could use players with a better shot (Silf/Palmieri or a younger Teemu).

As much as I love Fowler's overall game, his spitwad of a shot is what is holding back our PP this year compared to last year and forcing Boudreau to play people out of their optimal positions. Lindholm did a good job last of getting his shot through traffic and on net, but I don't think a goalie or shot blocker fears his shot either. Sbisa has the shot but doesn't anticipate the play very well. Beach and Lovejoy can't hit the net.

We need a dman who can anchor the PP from the blue line with a shot that is actually productive. Whether Vatanen can fulfill that role or not remains to be seen, or do we have to wait for Theodore ?

Old
03-19-2014, 11:14 AM
quackquackquack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Duck View Post

Getzlaf should not be on the point. His strength is on the half wall. However without Souray (or Vatanen when he can actually get his shot on net), we don't have any slapshot threat from the blue line. The only time we did score on the PP was when Maroon was blocking Halak as Perry usually does - except now Perry swings around the baseline and half way to receive a pass. If Getzlaf could win more faceoffs then we wouldn't need Bonino on the 1st PP and could use players with a better shot (Silf/Palmieri or a younger Teemu).

As much as I love Fowler's overall game, his spitwad of a shot is what is holding back our PP this year compared to last year and forcing Boudreau to play people out of their optimal positions. Lindholm did a good job last of getting his shot through traffic and on net, but I don't think a goalie or shot blocker fears his shot either. Sbisa has the shot but doesn't anticipate the play very well. Beach and Lovejoy can't hit the net.

We need a dman who can anchor the PP from the blue line with a shot that is actually productive. Whether Vatanen can fulfill that role or not remains to be seen, or do we have to wait for Theodore ?
I'd argue against that...he might be a good option for this. He has a pretty hard shot and its fairly accurate. Only problem is the amount of minutes he'd log. He's basically getting #1 minutes even strength with PK minutes. We'd have to cut back somewhere

Easiest fix is just to have Vatanen in the lineup.

Old
03-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Frankly, I'd absolutely hate to see Giguere signed here. Not sugarcoating it. I think he's done, and I think he's a significantly below average backup at this point. I really wouldn't want him, even if we had a 60-game workhorse starter. He's a tremendous person, but I would not want him as a player.
Well, there might be better backups available. But once you admit you aren't looking to sign a #1, I think it becomes a pretty big crap shoot. At that point, even though you still want a guy who can stop the puck better than everybody else (which really isn't assured with any backup), leadership becomes larger in importance. On that account Jiggy would seem to be extremely qualified.

Old
03-19-2014, 11:40 AM
kducks
Duck Off

vCash: 840
Quote:
Jiggy has also struggled with back problems all year long. Health wise, I think it's time for him to hang them up.

Old
03-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Duck View Post

lets do that.

Old
03-19-2014, 11:54 AM
terranraida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks nation View Post
lets do that.
to the time machine!

Old
03-19-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackquackquack View Post
I'd argue against that...he might be a good option for this. He has a pretty hard shot and its fairly accurate. Only problem is the amount of minutes he'd log. He's basically getting #1 minutes even strength with PK minutes. We'd have to cut back somewhere

Easiest fix is just to have Vatanen in the lineup.
If I remember correctly, the PP sucked just as much as now with Vatanen on it at the start of the year.

Old
03-19-2014, 12:17 PM
Papaspud
Bring on...

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/...tty-images-nhl

Old
03-19-2014, 12:23 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaspud View Post

Old
03-19-2014, 12:24 PM
kducks
Duck Off

vCash: 840
Impossible! The Ponda is never full!

Ducks Nation, click on the link

Old
03-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kducks View Post
Impossible! The Ponda is never full!

Ducks Nation, click on the link

Old
03-19-2014, 02:19 PM
ducks8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
During warm ups I was right behind Hiller. I had the Ducks beanie on with the ball on top

Old
03-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Ramenbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaspud View Post
Deadspin posted it, too. http://deadspin.com/ghost-hockey-no-...1547290240/all

Old
03-19-2014, 10:27 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu