HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mick E Moose

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-08-2011, 03:48 AM
  #51
Jet
Moderator
Tony P-ver
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Whipanegg
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,557
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Okay, you have no right to say that. A failure? Get your facts straight! The Moose are the reason we have an NHL team and the MTS Centre so be careful what you say and recognize that many people, including myself were die-hard fans. Also, we had the third best attendance in the AHL during the regular season and our playoff games scored the highest for attendance. We produced many winning seasons and even went to the Calder Cup Final in 2009.

The Stanley Cup Finalists of last year, the Vancouver Canucks were comprised of 2/3rds of former Moose players. Some, that the Moose franchise searched out, scouted, and signed themselves, like Alexandre Burrows.
What I believe Paradise is saying, and something I totally agree with him about is the fact that the city losing it's NHL team and having to settle for secondary pro hockey is a dark time for many of us.

The Moose were a necessary evil and I said earlier that I think keeping Mick E is a nice tribute to that teams contribution to the return of the NHL.

__________________
Band Of Beavers
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:30 AM
  #52
spicy
Registered User
 
spicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...9&postcount=52

called this, quite a while ago actually. lol. I hoped it was going to be him, all along, and after seeing the CBC and MTS documentaries about TNSE, the loss of the jets, and the entire story, i am even more proud to have him as a mascot. Yes, it was a sad time when we lost Jets 1.0, but Mick E Moose marked the turn, when we began building the "31st best pro sports hock team" around. And hes a damn bad ass looking mascot to boot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I was wrong. I didn't think they'd keep Mick E Moose, and initially I didn't want them too. But after thinking about it when we first became officially the Jets, I can't think of a good concept for what a Jets mascot would be. So all in all I'm happy I suppose.
Im glad you ca eat crow. You were very against it when i first made that post. lol.

spicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:07 AM
  #53
Jaffray15
Registered User
 
Jaffray15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 390
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jaffray15 Send a message via MSN to Jaffray15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
What I believe Paradise is saying, and something I totally agree with him about is the fact that the city losing it's NHL team and having to settle for secondary pro hockey is a dark time for many of us.

The Moose were a necessary evil and I said earlier that I think keeping Mick E is a nice tribute to that teams contribution to the return of the NHL.
I disagree with that statement because we lost the Jets for the right reasons 15 years ago.

The IHL/AHL, got us to where we needed to be before the NHL could come back. That being new owners, arena and a better Canadian economy

Jaffray15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:18 AM
  #54
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 8,164
vCash: 500
Who really cares all that much about the team mascot? I stopped caring about them at about 8 years of age; apparently your own mileage may vary, for at least some of you.



Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:30 AM
  #55
Diatidialga
Registered User
 
Diatidialga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,062
vCash: 500
Wait, Mick E needs a fighter jet now! Get on it TNSE

Diatidialga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:38 AM
  #56
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote
 
Winnipeg Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: England
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post
Wait, Mick E needs a fighter jet now! Get on it TNSE
If T-Rex's can pilot fighter jets, then Mick E. Moose most certainly can. He's not going to be outdone by a species that went extinct 65 million years ago!

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:43 AM
  #57
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
What I believe Paradise is saying, and something I totally agree with him about is the fact that the city losing it's NHL team and having to settle for secondary pro hockey is a dark time for many of us.

The Moose were a necessary evil and I said earlier that I think keeping Mick E is a nice tribute to that teams contribution to the return of the NHL.
No, I understand what he said and I disagree with his post still and your take on it. The Moose were not a failure and most who felt that way were ignorant and too stubborn to get over the former Jets and accept the Moose as a good product, which they were. Of course it is nice that we got a new NHL team, but to say the AHL Moose were a failure, a club that had successful winning campaigns, who were great at developing players for their parent NHL club, even finding talent for the Canucks, not to mention the fact it brought us to today, where we can say we're an NHL city again, because its owners pushed so hard to get things done. Of course the fan support helped out. I simply did not like his post. And you know what, that's okay. It's the man's post I do not like or respect, not the man himself. For all I know I could drink beers with the guy and have a good time with him.

I love the homage paid to the Moose with the mascot choice. Keep in mind people, Moose are big in Manitoba, so this makes sense. Also keep in mind, it's just a mascot. So it's not the end of the world. I love the choice. It respects TNSE's old team and the fanbase that supported it.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:49 AM
  #58
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffray15 View Post
I disagree with that statement because we lost the Jets for the right reasons 15 years ago.

The IHL/AHL, got us to where we needed to be before the NHL could come back. That being new owners, arena and a better Canadian economy
Well said. Just noticed your post bud!

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 01:15 PM
  #59
peter sullivan
Winnipeg
 
peter sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Get over it sully, the Moose are part of this franchise's history. I for one am proud of such a history.

THANK YOU TO THE WINNIPEG JETS FOR CALLING UP MICK.E.MOOSE!!!
nah, the moose represent the dark times......i'd rather we just turned our back on the whole era....the mascot is not a big deal but i could have done without it.

mick e moose is also not a very creative mascot....a pun on a disney character....really?...if we really need a mascot, i would have preferred something a bit more original and creative.

i really hope they take all the moose banners down and replace them with the old jets ones...or at least amalgamate all the moose ones onto a single one....our NHL team shouldnt be skating under a bunch of minor league banners.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 01:21 PM
  #60
Jet
Moderator
Tony P-ver
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Whipanegg
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,557
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffray15 View Post
I disagree with that statement because we lost the Jets for the right reasons 15 years ago.

The IHL/AHL, got us to where we needed to be before the NHL could come back. That being new owners, arena and a better Canadian economy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
No, I understand what he said and I disagree with his post still and your take on it. The Moose were not a failure and most who felt that way were ignorant and too stubborn to get over the former Jets and accept the Moose as a good product, which they were. Of course it is nice that we got a new NHL team, but to say the AHL Moose were a failure, a club that had successful winning campaigns, who were great at developing players for their parent NHL club, even finding talent for the Canucks, not to mention the fact it brought us to today, where we can say we're an NHL city again, because its owners pushed so hard to get things done. Of course the fan support helped out. I simply did not like his post. And you know what, that's okay. It's the man's post I do not like or respect, not the man himself. For all I know I could drink beers with the guy and have a good time with him.

I love the homage paid to the Moose with the mascot choice. Keep in mind people, Moose are big in Manitoba, so this makes sense. Also keep in mind, it's just a mascot. So it's not the end of the world. I love the choice. It respects TNSE's old team and the fanbase that supported it.
I think you guys are missing my point. I never said the Moose were a failure. On the contrary, it's their great success that allowed us to get the Jets back.

However, for many of us that grew up loving and cheering for the Jets, the 15 years without them are a dark time for the city. Not just because we had a minor league in our city, but for much of that, the city was waning, stagnant and there wasn't a lot of hope or promise here.

That of course started to turn around at the turn of the century, and now when you look at is what is happening in Winnipeg, not just with hockey, but all over the place, there is a renewed faith, excitement and pride.

I know there are die hard Moose fans on these boards, and I thank you. I could never get into the team, even after attending several games, but if it weren't for you guys, Sunday would never be happening.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 01:26 PM
  #61
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7
 
Winnipeg Jets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Selkirk
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,497
vCash: 1125
Yeah, I actually like this move. Nothing wrong with keeping the mascot people are familiar with.

Winnipeg Jets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 02:04 PM
  #62
rymr66
Registered User
 
rymr66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: anyang
Country: South Korea
Posts: 181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRaven View Post
If the Arena wasn't dwontown I'd say he'd have a great season ... but with the all traffic IDK ?
peggers like to talk about traffic, but really?? y'all have no idea what A REAL TRAFFIC JAM LOOKS LIKE? try living in a small city with 30 million people, then you'll know what a REAL TRAFFIC JAM LOOKS LIKE? seriously, commute times in the peg are incredibly short, even with all this so called 'traffic'.

as for the mascot, meh, whatever. benny was a way better mascot, but i guess they want to keeps something from the moose alive. after all, if it weren't for the fans, that's what they would've name the team anyway.

btw, thank god they didn't name the team that!

rymr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 02:47 PM
  #63
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 33,575
vCash: 216
Maybe its the beer talking but I think Mick looks good in that uniform
this gets the King Woodballs seal of approval


King Woodballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 03:35 PM
  #64
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,540
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicy View Post
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...9&postcount=52

called this, quite a while ago actually. lol. I hoped it was going to be him, all along, and after seeing the CBC and MTS documentaries about TNSE, the loss of the jets, and the entire story, i am even more proud to have him as a mascot. Yes, it was a sad time when we lost Jets 1.0, but Mick E Moose marked the turn, when we began building the "31st best pro sports hock team" around. And hes a damn bad ass looking mascot to boot.




Im glad you ca eat crow. You were very against it when i first made that post. lol.
It's easy to have an opinion.
It's tough to admit you were wrong. I can glady admit that I was wrong.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:30 PM
  #65
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I think you guys are missing my point. I never said the Moose were a failure. On the contrary, it's their great success that allowed us to get the Jets back.

However, for many of us that grew up loving and cheering for the Jets, the 15 years without them are a dark time for the city. Not just because we had a minor league in our city, but for much of that, the city was waning, stagnant and there wasn't a lot of hope or promise here.

That of course started to turn around at the turn of the century, and now when you look at is what is happening in Winnipeg, not just with hockey, but all over the place, there is a renewed faith, excitement and pride.

I know there are die hard Moose fans on these boards, and I thank you. I could never get into the team, even after attending several games, but if it weren't for you guys, Sunday would never be happening.
This post sums up my sentiments best. 15 years of AHL hockey were dark days for Winnipeg. No, they were by no means a failure, but for many of us NHL fans, they were a reminder that we had to "settle" for second-rate hockey in comparison to what we had. This was like a kick to the crotch for many of us. It made Winnipeg feel like a larger version of Regina, and that is nothing to brag about! The NHL defined us as a major league city, and having that taken away from us was a major blow to the psyche of the city.

But now, we are a different city (except for the crime; get on that Dippers and Katz!). It's a much better city than what is was 15 years ago and I am hoping to one day make it back there for good now that the future is much brighter.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:47 PM
  #66
spicy
Registered User
 
spicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
It's easy to have an opinion.
It's tough to admit you were wrong. I can glady admit that I was wrong.
All good dude. Cheers.

And Jaffray, "the last 15 years being dark, and without promise"?

Too many people here to disagree with you. Me included. Chipman and company didn't think it was without promise, especially the last 5 years.

It's narrow minded stubbornness that partly put us into the situation we were in 15 years ago. And it's smart business men, and strong business sense that brought them back.

Hang all the moose stuff they want in the rafters. It keeps us reminded of what we web through to get these guys back. It represents great growing in the community, an a strong sense of support by our "hockey" fans, not just NHL band wagon jumpers.

The Moose, and the many nhlers who played for them all have a spot in my heart, as well as the city.

We did the absolute best with what we had. That's what Winnipeg is about. And we made it better, and are appreciative of it tha much more.

spicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:30 PM
  #67
Yukon Joe
Registered User
 
Yukon Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Posts: 1,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Looks fantastic!

He reminds me of Space Moose.

(anyone who read the Toban in the 90s knows who I am talking about)

Yukon Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:10 AM
  #68
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
I see a few stubborn people (yes, even you Jet) that couldn't allow themselves to enjoy a product that wasn't the NHL. I don't see those days as "dark days." The city should not be valued based on the sports league level we garner, but by the people itself.

Having said that, I appreciate and recognize the respect you gave towards myself and Jaffray15, because it was fans like us and many others who supported the former Moose, that we have an NHL team again. That, and great ownership that did everything in their power to make it happen.

I am proud of the Manitoba Moose product and what it brought to this city, your new Winnipeg Jets. Thus, making this mascot very appropriate. It stands for everything the fans supported all those years when we had no NHL product and yet still went to the games and cheered on the home team. It didn't matter if it was the best, it was something, and it was actually quite fun! And affordable! It also stands for the ownership and Jets history. The Moose were the new Jets roots, as are the Atlanta Thrashers. Plus, he's a looker that Mick! So all the girl Moosies (technically they aren't Moose, it's like calling a cow or chicken a bull and rooster respectively) and Puck Bunnies say.


Last edited by PensFan6687: 10-09-2011 at 02:17 AM.
PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:38 AM
  #69
spicy
Registered User
 
spicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
/\ well said.

spicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:25 PM
  #70
bigplay41
BIG MEECH
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,590
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
hes missing some nice Aviator shades!!

bigplay41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:35 PM
  #71
PostmanPat1919
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
hes missing some nice Aviator shades!!
If you look closely, he's wearing a pair of aviator's goggles.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:30 PM
  #72
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS
 
irunthepeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peg, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,842
vCash: 825
Fully behind the Moose. He's wearing the Jets jersey, he's wearing a pilot cap. Kids love him. In a kid's mind, why does a pilot have to be human?

I love the homage and unlike a lot of people, I love the Moose.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 04:06 PM
  #73
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine
 
OthmarAmmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
He reminds me of Space Moose.

(anyone who read the Toban in the 90s knows who I am talking about)
The UMSU Toban? Could never read it as it caused my eyes to roll violently.

OthmarAmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 04:31 PM
  #74
saskganesh
Registered User
 
saskganesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the Annex
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,115
vCash: 500
... A moose is fine. Imagine if they had sold the "mascot rights" to a pork processor?

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 04:35 PM
  #75
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 43,187
vCash: 500
The name of your mascot alone is the funniest thing ever. A moose with aviator goggles seals it though.

__________________
parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.