HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why isn't #12 under the rafters of the Verizon Center yet?

Old
09-30-2011, 02:35 PM
vlady

vCash: 500
Why isn't #12 under the rafters of the Verizon Center yet?

This question has been bothering me for a very long time. So I decided I would ask here. Can someone more educated please tell me why isn't Peter Bondra's number 12 retired by the Caps yet? Do they hold a grudge against him? If so, for what? Or have they entirely forgotten about him? I just can't get my head around it and to me this is just classless by the Caps management.

vlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:48 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Caps are weird about these things. I think Ted does it begrudgingly....I expect it sometime in the next 5-10 years.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:52 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

He's said before "Let's win a Cup first" about things like this (and about things like hosting the draft or the ASG). I'm not sure if that's the real reason internally but it's something that's been put out there.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:10 PM
txpd

a. i dont think he has been out of the game long enough to be hhof eligible. if he makes the hhof, he will be retired. no question.

b. no grudge. bondra is a regular at caps games. signing autographs during games. just played in the caps alum game. bondra, iirc, still owns his annapolis home and has a good relationship with the team.

my guess is that both bondra and kolzig are on the margin for retirement. that said i dont think the caps offer 12 or 37 as number options for their current players.

has anyone else worn 12 since bondra left?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:15 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Maybe Atlanta can retire his number.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:32 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Honestly the caps have too many numbers retired already. I sort of go along with Vogs on maybe creating a ring of honor or something. Doesn't Toronto only have two numbers retired? That being said Bondra is probably my all time favorite cap.

09-30-2011, 03:53 PM
txpd

who have the caps retired other than 7(a mistake), 5, 32 and 11? my threshold on retiring a # is whether its wrong for another player to wear it. the bears didnt retire butkus forever and every fall some poor young linebacker would end up on the kick coverage wearing that 51 and looking like an idiot.

i believe its smart to have both retired numbers and a team hall of fame. kolzig probably belongs in a team hall but not retired. bondra is borderline. gartner and langway are slam dunks.

i would hate to see some kid skating D wearing 5 or even 3. ray bourque looked silly wearing 7.

if the player is historic enough that players cant wear the number, then retire it.

Old
09-30-2011, 04:43 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Caps seem to have something behind the scenes of sort of not handing out some numbers that aren't retired from a former player. For prospects seems like only the 1st rounders have a chance at picking their number or being able to switch later. Wasn't alzner 47 early on? MoJo was able to choose his number. Carlson just stuck with his assigned number. I would think Kuz will likely get his #92 next season.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:51 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Bondra had more goals and points for the franchise than Gartner...but with that said, I don't think Gartner's number should have been retired.

09-30-2011, 04:52 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Caps seem to have something behind the scenes of sort of not handing out some numbers that aren't retired from a former player. For prospects seems like only the 1st rounders have a chance at picking their number or being able to switch later. Wasn't alzner 47 early on? MoJo was able to choose his number. Carlson just stuck with his assigned number. I would think Kuz will likely get his #92 next season.
I thought Carlson kept 74 because the digits added to 11, his intended number. Maybe I'm mistaken, but though not what I'd consider a traditional number, I thought it was more elective than assigned and retained.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Honestly the caps have too many numbers retired already. I sort of go along with Vogs on maybe creating a ring of honor or something. Doesn't Toronto only have two numbers retired? That being said Bondra is probably my all time favorite cap.
I agree, I wouldn't have retired Gartner and Labre shouldn't be up there, even though I've met him and he's a great guy.

I also agree with Leonsis when he said a year or so ago they have a lot of numbers retired for a team that hasn't won a championship.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Foy

Why should #12 be in the rafters? I could name a half dozen people that I would rather see up there.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Maybe Atlanta can retire his number.
I was thinking the Detroit Vipers could do it.

Old
09-30-2011, 08:54 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Why should #12 be in the rafters? I could name a half dozen people that I would rather see up there.
Bondra's goal scoring numbers are comparable to joey mullen who is in the hhof. i'd say that if Bondra makes the hall of fame, he'd belong in the rafters. are any of your half dozen in the hall or likely to be elected such?

there's no hurry to retire his number. langway is the only one that deserved that. but a hall of famer belongs.

Old
09-30-2011, 09:05 PM
pgreene

Quote:
i should like to see that list.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
i should like to see that list.
Johannson, Kolzig, Miller, Pivonka, Stevens

Old
09-30-2011, 09:32 PM
pgreene

Quote:
i would have come up with a few of those myself, though i'm not sure i'd say callejo meant more to the organization than did bondra.

i'm all for the ring of fir...er... fame or whatever the hell it's called. retiring numbers should be for absolute insane untouchables--i.e. you're such a damn badass no one is ever worthy of wearing your same shirt. caps have really never had anyone who's in that category.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Foy

I would say the only people that have deserved have been Rod and Maybe Dale.

Ring of honor is the way to go.

Old
09-30-2011, 09:38 PM
txpd

bondra is a 500 goal legit hall of fame candidate. calle johansson? michal pivonka? i love them. pivo was my neighbor. but were either of them even on an all star team?
kolzig at least was an all star with a vezina. none of those players have careers that compare to bondra.

is it that you have something against bondra?

Old
09-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Bondra's goal scoring numbers are comparable to joey mullen who is in the hhof. i'd say that if Bondra makes the hall of fame, he'd belong in the rafters. are any of your half dozen in the hall or likely to be elected such?

there's no hurry to retire his number. langway is the only one that deserved that. but a hall of famer belongs.
Moot point then as there is no chance in hell that Bondra goes in the HoF. Mullen has 3 rings and 1000+ points to go with his 500+ goals...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Foy

Bondra is not a HOF candidate. His best chance of ever going in is 30 years from now when people can better judge guys that played in the dead puck era of the 90s.

Old
09-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Moot point then as there is no chance in hell that Bondra goes in the HoF. Mullen has 3 rings and 1000+ points to go with his 500+ goals...
The fact that team achievements influence Hall of Fame voting...

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:24 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Only Kolzig would have a snow balls chance, IMHO. Honestly I think we are in an era where there will be no numbers retired for a while. Best chance is AO's number only after winning a stanley cup (sure the career caps numbers could tip the scale on the lack of a cup).

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:37 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Ovie will absolutely get his number hung. No doubt.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:30 PM
WanderingCapsFan

Quote:
Bondra is not a HOF candidate. His best chance of ever going in is 30 years from now when people can better judge guys that played in the dead puck era of the 90s.
Bondra's career almost perfectly spanned the "dead puck" era. If he had been born 10 years before or 10 years after, he would have scored 700 goals.

So he gets dismissed by know-nothings as a guy who barely scored 500 goals and doesn't belong in the HOF discussions.

Bull.

If you look at his stats, based on his peers, he is the second best goal scorer of his generation (after Jagr).

Langway saved the franchise.

After that, I'm not sure how you put anybody above Bondra.

WanderingCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote