HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hurricanes vs. Capitals. 7pm. Verizon Center. 10.8.2011.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Dirtbag59

vCash: 500
I loved the work by the third line (aka the Checking line that can score). Probably my favorite group on the team.

You could tell Mathieu got the energy part down but he was 1 for 5 on faceoffs and took way to much time on that semi-empty net chance. MaJo would have said f-it and fired it as soon as he got a chance.

Halpern's 41% on faceoffs was another key part of the game. If I recall correctly he lost the empty net faceoff that led to the game tying goal and a couple of PK faceoffs that also led to goals rather then clears.

I spent most of the first period looking for the game but Nuevy seemed pretty human from the start of the 2nd until the 6th goal that led to OT. After that he became Superman.

Having Wideman and Green in the same game was quite a treat. IIRC this is the first game where they've both dressed.

2 for 5 on the Powerplay. Very happy they got that fixed, to bad the PK was terrible.

Much better opener this year then last years loss to the Thrashers.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 10-08-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Brouwer made one great backhand stretch pass to semin but otherwise they didn't mesh well offensively. If this is his game he might end up fitting better with Ovie. Would have liked to see Hamrlik shoot more, especially on the pp. Liked Perreault's hustle but he didn't follow the flow of play well enough. Overall not as bad as the score sufgests I think.
I was kind of wondering that with the whole unit in general. Going back to 24/7 BB kept talking about wanting to get a lot of pucks on net and complaining about guys holding on to the puck to long, scared to make a move. Sometimes it seemed like they were doing a whole lot of nothing, but two goals including a game winner not to much to complain about.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:26 PM
TRASHCAT

Those powerplay numbers are a bit misleading.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRASHCAT View Post
Those powerplay numbers are a bit misleading.
What's misleading about sucking a**?

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Fallschirmyager

Colorado lost. Varly looked very solid and kept them in it.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:43 PM
SameOld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
What's misleading about sucking a**?
The fact that we scored at all on it.

SameOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:03 PM
MoJoSauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
Colorado lost. Varly looked very solid and kept them in it.
Suck for NAIL. If they lose and varly wait until varly gets inconsistent like normal or brittle groin takes over

MoJoSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Our blue line sure looks like it's 2009-2010. 2 of the 3 Carolina goals came from lazy clearance attempts by our defenders.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:35 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
Before he took that penalty I thought Semin was the best Cap on the ice. He scored, he backchecked, he moved the puck, he won board battles. Brouwer looked better with Ovi because he pretty much only played the boards and in front of the net. Semin likes to pass and cycle the puck. He gave a lot of good passes to Brouwer, who could not control almost any of them.
It'll take time on Brouwer. I remember Laich's comments on playing with Semin and he said you really don't know that he can actually see you or knows where you are on the ice and then somehow the puck comes flying at you.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:45 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
The good:

-Good Sasha - even the penalty wasn't that bad, he played till the whistle and it wasn't a stick penalty
-Carlson's pass to Semin - perfect
-Nick on the PK in overtime - was taking the game over
-the 3rd line - 3 guys that can not only grind it out but have additional skillsets (Chimera - speed, Laich - dangling, and Ward - power, net presence)

The bad:
-Both Carlson minors - and they went for goals against
-Bruce being clueless on the lineup
-the 4th line - wanted to see more after they harped on improving it so much

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:58 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
Only one game, but I am really impressed. Backstrom and Green looked great. I loved Backstrom stepping into Tlusty during the 2nd Period. Semin took that penalty, but he just seems like a different guy. I really am excited this season has started. Looking forward to Monday.
I agree.

I also enjoyed Wideman @ point. Moving well, handling puck well.

Always get nervous when I see Ovie taking off his glove and flexing his wrist, but all in all, yes, good game, good result.

Where was Mojo? Healthy scratch or sick/injured?

Also, been meaning to ask this for a year -- where did the Purrutu nickname come?

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:11 AM
mad4comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
Suck for NAIL. If they lose and varly wait until varly gets inconsistent like normal or brittle groin takes over
I think you mean the "Fail for Nail" Sweepstakes.

mad4comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Atlas

Backstrom looked like an all-star, thank goodness. Green was at his best.

The team was tighter than I expected. Good passing, good anticipation along the boards and accepting passes.

I don't see a Stanley Cup threat here but the Caps looked better tonight than they did most of last season. Neuvy is not my guy. He's solid but IMO isn't acrobatic enough to dominate in the NHL. Hope he proves me wrong. Your goalie has to be your best player.

There's still something goofy about this team. Maybe coaching, maybe questionable hockey sense. Obviously they are thin at C. If Backstrom is back that at least solidifies the 1C. Good test for the boys Monday against the Bolts.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4comp View Post
I think you mean the "Fail for Nail" Sweepstakes.

Thats classic.

Yeah, for the most part I want Nail but any of the 3 Russians will do. And to think of the possibility (albeit slim possibility) of Ovi, Semin, Backs, Evengy, and Nail all on the same team one day.

Old
10-09-2011, 01:01 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

In the 2C watch, 85 went 1 for 5 in the dot, and came away with no points, including over 2 minutes on the PP. Not helping his cause.

By contrast, Joel Ward went 3 for 3 on draws.

10-09-2011, 02:25 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Nice to see the top line with dominate stretches tonight.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post

Also, been meaning to ask this for a year -- where did the Purrutu nickname come?

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 06:29 AM
The Lawyer

Hey guys,

Sens fan here. Was wondering why Vokoun didn't start. I took him first overall in my pool this year because of his amazing salary, so I was kind of pissed when I saw I didn't get the 2pts.

THanks.

The Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 06:30 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
I agree.

I also enjoyed Wideman @ point. Moving well, handling puck well.

Always get nervous when I see Ovie taking off his glove and flexing his wrist, but all in all, yes, good game, good result.

Where was Mojo? Healthy scratch or sick/injured?

Believe it accidentally came from gloves aka Varlamov... who's now Miller...., he loves his goalies. He displayed an ability at butchering player's names, i.e. Blaska instead of Bieska and then Perreault. But I actually recall it being far worse than Purrutu for Perrreault.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 07:23 AM
txpd

my first game watched on the actually tv.

ovechkin looked decidely smaller.
backstrom's face decidely smaller. backstrom throttling tlusky. great sign.
chimera-laich-ward. everybody loves it. i agree. big part of that is the oft hated chimera. this could create interesting dynamics.
we saw all there is of green last night. the first ppg against was a result of hamrlik and green blowing a coverage switch. it looked to me more like hamrlik was confused but green took the criticism. new partners...stuff happens. green with major movement on both of the ppg's. green moved to the slot on the first one and got hammered by allen and didnt play again til the pp where he won the game.

backstrom looks like he's back.
schult has already taken sloans slot in the hate file. jfs?
why was carlson behind the net leaving laich with a two on one in front on the tying goal?

last...just watching nhl on the fly recap of teh sabres game. they showed the crowd doing the wave and right in the middle was a guy rocking the red(caps jersey)

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 07:40 AM
bonzaibondra12

Backstrom was flying around, laying hits, took over a pk, and had 2 assists. His shot was inaccurate, but at least he was pulling the trigger.

MP was small, bad on the faceoff, and terrible along the boards. MaJo was a big part of our pk last year (which sucked last night), better on the boards, and was getting better in the dot. You don't bench that for a 6th rounder who wildly spins and throws pucks to look dazzling.

The 3rd line is going to be a mismatch for a lot of teams. I loved it. Chimera looks great, and if he keeps that up people will think 1.8 mil is a bargain. He blew by that defense.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:30 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touche View Post
Hey guys,

Sens fan here. Was wondering why Vokoun didn't start. I took him first overall in my pool this year because of his amazing salary, so I was kind of pissed when I saw I didn't get the 2pts.

THanks.
Neuvirth played better in the preseason, so it may have been as simple as rewarding him for that. It may be that the matchup fit Neuvirth better (Vokoun wasn't great vs. Carolina last year). It may be that they're saving Vokoun for the two better teams, the Bolts and Pens, this week. It may be that they wanted to start the guy who's ingrained in the organization vs. the guy who's more or less a one year mercenary for the home opener and all the fan hoopla.

Only Bruce really knows. Would still be surprising if Neuvirth started more games than Vokoun given equal health.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:41 AM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
The good:

-Good Sasha - even the penalty wasn't that bad, he played till the whistle and it wasn't a stick penalty
-Carlson's pass to Semin - perfect
-Nick on the PK in overtime - was taking the game over
-the 3rd line - 3 guys that can not only grind it out but have additional skillsets (Chimera - speed, Laich - dangling, and Ward - power, net presence)

The bad:
-Both Carlson minors - and they went for goals against
-Bruce being clueless on the lineup
-the 4th line - wanted to see more after they harped on improving it so much

I mostly agree with all of these... Backstrom back in form was the biggest relief for me... We need him to be elite... Also loved the third line (like pretty much everyone has said, they were all over the ice)...

Also, I'm not as high on the PP... I'm not disappointed by it, I mean they went 2 for 5, but lets keep in mind one of them was a 5 on 3 and the other one was a 4 on 3... I want to see more one man advantage time to see where the PP is really at..

Excited for Mon night

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:46 AM
txpd

i dont expect boudreau to put everything on the table for us to see. but i do believe him when he said that both goalies were going to play in the first two games. that neuvirth getting game 1 was a reward for his preseason play.

i didnt see 28 on the game winning power play. could well be that he was left on the bench as punishment for the penalty.

i will say that maybe boudreau is making good points with who is playing and not playing, but the penalty kill needs the kid to be effective and it would be helpful having him in. that said, the first ppg against was the result of a good carolina bounce of the puck that put the pk behind the 8 ball. the second ppg against was the result of a bad switch by hamrlik and green which i would is probably nothing more than a getting to know each other thing. hamrlik appeared to have a confused look and his body language backed that up.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about. He had no shot on any of the 3 goals allowed, unless he was going to pull one of those Tim Thomas full layout dives across the crease and snag the puck out of midair. All 3 goals were 1 in 100 save situations from the goalie's perspective. At best. Then he stopped the other 28 shots he faced, including a couple of tough shots through traffic. How is that "very very average"?
I was at the game and haven't gone back to watch the replays yet but IMO Neuvirth was slow getting over on the 2nd goal and I have no idea why he was flopping around like a fish on the ice on the 3rd goal. The 1st goal? Yeah no chance as the Canes shredded the PK with the end result a one timer from the other side of the ice but the other 2 I definitely think he could have played better.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote