HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

The Eventual Ban on Fighting

Old
10-07-2011, 11:30 PM
jughead42

vCash: 500
The Eventual Ban on Fighting

I like everyone else here was saddened and shocked by the death of 3 of hockey's finest this offseason. Unfortunately instead of learning from these tragedies about the dangers of substance abuse and mental illness, many in the hockey community are just seizing upon their deaths to push their anti fighting agendas. Mental illness and substance abuse affect people in all walks of life and its a disservice to the men who died to blame their problems on the game they loved. How many of us have lost people close to us to the very same issues, and how many of them were NHL enforcers in their spare time?

I fear they will finally have the support to finally ban fighting thanks to the blatant exploitation of these 3 player's deaths. Meanwhile, the important lesson to be learned from this is ignored. Instead of treating the real disease and recognizing that mental illness and substance abuse affects everyone, they'll only be taking away a great element of the game to put up a superficial facade of actually caring. Screw you Ron Maclean and all the rest of the self righteous crusaders.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:12 AM
Burke

The league took a poll at the end of the season with all the players. One of the questions was if they want fighting in the game, something like 99% said yes. As long as the players feel this way then fighting will stay and I dont think there is going to be a huge shift anytime soon.

Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke View Post
The league took a poll at the end of the season with all the players. One of the questions was if they want fighting in the game, something like 99% said yes. As long as the players feel this way then fighting will stay and I dont think there is going to be a huge shift anytime soon.
Can you provide a source on that?

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
Can you provide a source on that?
I know its true, i remember seeing it on here from the NHL..
But fighting has its place in hockey.. However, the sideshow that is enforcer fighting should get out of the game..

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Get rid of it already. If I wanted to watch people get punched I'd watch MMA or boxing. It's not really safe for the players to be taking swings at each other on skates and it generally cheapens the sport.

Just my 2 cents.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:00 AM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Get rid of it already. If I wanted to watch people get punched I'd watch MMA or boxing. It's not really safe for the players to be taking swings at each other on skates and it generally cheapens the sport.

Just my 2 cents.
They should get rid of body checking too. Its not really safe for the players to be flying into each other at 40 miles an hour. Oh yeah, get rid of skates while we're at it. Its not safe to have sharp metal blades on your feet in a contact sport. Hell, ice is pretty slippery so we might as well just get rid of that. Its not really safe to play on a surface that has so little grip. Maybe we should make the puck out of foam rubber too, its not really safe that such a hard object gets propelled at those speeds. Somebody could seriously be hurt. Fighting cheapens the sport? I think pandering to sissies who don't understand the game cheapens the sport. Its a tough game and people get hurt playing it with or without fighting. Just my 2 cents.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Kagee*

It won't get banned.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:18 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Who, exactly, is pushing an anti-fighting agenda? I haven't seen anything of the sort. I think there remains much more concern about headshots than fighting per se.

10-08-2011, 10:58 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Who, exactly, is pushing an anti-fighting agenda? I haven't seen anything of the sort. I think there remains much more concern about headshots than fighting per se.
It was the biggest issue this summer after the deaths of Belak, Boogard and Rypien. Even papers in Europe was talking about that fighting needs to be banned and when a majority of media is pushing for something it usually means bad things for the thing they are opposing.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:44 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
It was the biggest issue this summer after the deaths of Belak, Boogard and Rypien. Even papers in Europe was talking about that fighting needs to be banned and when a majority of media is pushing for something it usually means bad things for the thing they are opposing.
I obviously follow hockey pretty closely, and I haven't seen anything suggesting that fighting was in anyway related to their death. So, if you have a column from a reputable journalist, feel free to post it, but I think this is a non-issue.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 12:01 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Boogard OD'd on Painkillers, Rypien was a headcase before the NHL, and lets be honest, he was not an enforcer. And even Belak's family say his dead wasnt Drug/Depressing related (Many reports say He was into a certain.... ya).

Im not a fan of goons, but these deaths were unrelated, no matter what people want to say.

X8oD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 01:25 PM
jughead42

Quote:
I obviously follow hockey pretty closely, and I haven't seen anything suggesting that fighting was in anyway related to their death. So, if you have a column from a reputable journalist, feel free to post it, but I think this is a non-issue.
How about this one: http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey...fighting071011

If you don't recognize that the tide is turning against fighting in hockey you aren't paying attention. A CBC poll showed 66% of respondents calling for a ban on fighting, its an issue that will not be ignored at this point. Spend a bit of time reading any of the articles about Belak, Rypien or Boogaard and I defy you to find one that doesn't make some connection between their death and their role in the NHL.

Old
10-08-2011, 01:30 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD View Post
Boogard OD'd on Painkillers, Rypien was a headcase before the NHL, and lets be honest, he was not an enforcer. And even Belak's family say his dead wasnt Drug/Depressing related (Many reports say He was into a certain.... ya).

Im not a fan of goons, but these deaths were unrelated, no matter what people want to say.
I know that. This wasn't about what I think, it was about what the drones in the media think.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
They should get rid of body checking too. Its not really safe for the players to be flying into each other at 40 miles an hour. Oh yeah, get rid of skates while we're at it. Its not safe to have sharp metal blades on your feet in a contact sport. Hell, ice is pretty slippery so we might as well just get rid of that. Its not really safe to play on a surface that has so little grip. Maybe we should make the puck out of foam rubber too, its not really safe that such a hard object gets propelled at those speeds. Somebody could seriously be hurt. Fighting cheapens the sport? I think pandering to sissies who don't understand the game cheapens the sport. Its a tough game and people get hurt playing it with or without fighting. Just my 2 cents.
I like the foam rubber idea. I think you might have something.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 02:01 PM
dronald

Quote:
This post is the pinnical of arrogance and let me explain why...

What this poster fails to recognize is that they should probably have foam sticks too... Talk about dangerous, those sticks can take an eye out!!!

dronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 02:05 PM
molsonmuscle360

I think they need to get rid of the staged fights that happen right off a faceoff or something like that. If two guys are just chatting with each other and decide to drop the gloves they should be kicked out of the game, but if it's in response to a dirty play, or a big hit on a superstar then I have no problem with it. I just don't see the place in the game for people that can barely play hockey at a beer league level but get to play in the NHL just because they can fight.

molsonmuscle360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 02:09 PM
dronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I think they need to get rid of the staged fights that happen right off a faceoff or something like that. If two guys are just chatting with each other and decide to drop the gloves they should be kicked out of the game, but if it's in response to a dirty play, or a big hit on a superstar then I have no problem with it. I just don't see the place in the game for people that can barely play hockey at a beer league level but get to play in the NHL just because they can fight.
That's the strange thing though, I don't really see the problem in two goons exchaning words and then going at it. Even though it's during a Hockey game there's no reason it still can't be exciting to watch two guys go at it on behalf of their team.

If the coach felt there was no need for player like this then they wouldn't be played, same goes for the gm's that bring them in.

dronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

I don't think the league will ban fighting but they will look for ways to minimize it in the future.

10-08-2011, 02:27 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
I don't think the league will ban fighting but they will look for ways to minimize it in the future.
Of course they will begin with rules similar to the OHL, such as suspensions for removing a helmet during a fight or for fights at the end of games or off a whistle. They will also follow their lead by throwing an instigator penalty at the first player to drop his mitts in a mutual fight, which is happening a lot now in the OHL. Once the junior leagues take the step of banning fights, and they will with Dave Branch running the show, the supply of fighters in the NHL will dry up and the NHL will eventually follow suit. The writing is on the wall, the media sensationalism from the 3 offseason deaths is going to get the ball rolling I'm certain.

Old
10-08-2011, 02:32 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

Fighting has been in the game longer than any one of us here has been alive.

Also, it's been in the game longer than our parents and our grandparents have been alive. Fighting isn't going anywhere any time soon.

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 02:39 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:

If you don't recognize that the tide is turning against fighting in hockey you aren't paying attention. A CBC poll showed 66% of respondents calling for a ban on fighting, its an issue that will not be ignored at this point. Spend a bit of time reading any of the articles about Belak, Rypien or Boogaard and I defy you to find one that doesn't make some connection between their death and their role in the NHL.
Ah, the junior hockey analyst for yahoo sports canada. How could I have missed it.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:

Unlike the other fighters Cherry mentioned, Thomson irks me. I listened to him on Off the Record and he basically is insistent fighting was the cause for his problems, thereby validating the criticism lobbied toward him. Stu Grimson made numerous points, citing that people are made aware of the risks and by choosing to sign a contract, they have accepted them. Thomson's retort was this fighting should be banned because "it hurts human beings." No, you don't get to make that decision. That is a strawman's argument. Leave the choice to the individual not some outside third party.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 03:05 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Ah, the junior hockey analyst for yahoo sports canada. How could I have missed it.
If you paid attention to Canadian media you'd know it was the topic de jour. She writes for the Toronto Star as well, and as this other guy mentioned it was a focus on at TSN program. I can't help it if the tractor pull gets better coverage than hockey in your area.

Old
10-08-2011, 03:29 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 50
First off, I'm very pro-fighting and I am definitely a fan of how the rules are now (with the exception of the instigator rule).

That being said if the NHL really wanted to minimize fights between two tough guys they could do what the junior hockey in my area does, limit the number of fights by a player per year. They could have a certain number of fights (5-7ish) for a player each year. After that they get a one suspension for the next fight over the limit and the suspensions get larger for every fight over the limit.

This of course would mostly get rid of most off the face off fights and would really make fighters have to pick their spots more carefully.

Just one suggestion for those who are a fan of fights, but not staged fights.

JustGivingEr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Papaspud
Bring on...

Quote:
Adam Proteau, an Editor at The Hockey News website, and magazine, has been on an anti-fighting crusade for the past 4 years. Not a "junior" hockey analyst in any sense of the word.

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote