HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Labarbera trade value??

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2004, 12:33 PM
Sather Hater

vCash: 500
Labarbera trade value??

Well with the Weekes signing, and figuring Dunham will be back, and Blackburn scheduled to be in hartford next year (December or hopefully sooner), what do you think Labarbera's trade value is? He was phenomenal in the AHL last year (MVP). It might no be a bad time to get something for him while we still can, it's obvious he has no future in a Ranger's jersey. Maybe a draft pick or prospect??

Old
08-26-2004, 12:46 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater
Maybe a draft pick or prospect??
Maybe a pan of eggs?

Old
08-26-2004, 01:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater
Well with the Weekes signing, and figuring Dunham will be back, and Blackburn scheduled to be in hartford next year (December or hopefully sooner), what do you think Labarbera's trade value is? He was phenomenal in the AHL last year (MVP). It might no be a bad time to get something for him while we still can, it's obvious he has no future in a Ranger's jersey. Maybe a draft pick or prospect??
For the time being he has more value in Hartford to the Rangers than he would on the trade market.

Old
08-26-2004, 01:15 PM
vbox81

Agreed, he needs to help Blackburn in HFD and provide injury security behind Dunham and be Weekes backup in those situations.

Old
08-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Onion Boy

His value is as high now as it every will be. Deal him. Valiquette can provide injury insurance both with the Rangers and with the Pack.

Old
08-26-2004, 01:23 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
His value is as high now as it every will be. Deal him. Valiquette can provide injury insurance both with the Rangers and with the Pack.
Deal him for what? I don't think he will fetch all that much....Better off keeping him with the thought that he can still kick ass in the AHL (with or without Blackburn) and maybe, just maybe, that at 24 he matures and improves over the next few years to where he could be NHL calibre goalie--which was not evident from his play/reflexes last year (and thus low trade value)..

Old
08-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Deal him for what? I don't think he will fetch all that much....Better off keeping him with the thought that he can still kick ass in the AHL (with or without Blackburn) and maybe, just maybe, that at 24 he matures and improves over the next few years to where he could be NHL calibre goalie--which was not evident from his play/reflexes last year (and thus low trade value)..
Deal him for a B/B- level prospect if possible. Though we wouldn't have gotten a return even remotely comparable to Belle, we should've jumped on a deal with St. Louis before they traded for Bacashihua. LaBarbera for Stempniak?

Old
08-26-2004, 01:39 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
:lol

what can get back? look what the rangers traded holvmist for? btw valiquette is a florida panther now.

Old
08-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Deal him for a B/B- level prospect if possible. Though we wouldn't have gotten a return even remotely comparable to Belle, we should've jumped on a deal with St. Louis before they traded for Bacashihua. LaBarbera for Stempniak?
If that B level prospect has a better chance (be it so small) of succeeding in the NHL then Hanna and Labarberra then I would do it to, but not sure it will be a match..BTW, I like Stempinak too...Too bad we couldn't have drafted that D-man from Dartmouth (Grant Lewis)

Old
08-26-2004, 02:16 PM
vbox81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
:lol

what can get back? look what the rangers traded holvmist for? btw valiquette is a florida panther now.
McLennan is a Panther, I think we still have Valiquette

Old
08-26-2004, 02:33 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

What a shame, i was actually looking to see Valiquette get a legit shot at some real time. Guess he will not. I'm sure weekes was signed for 3mill per if not more ( probably 2 seasons , just till blackie is ready to go ), so that now leaves NYR with 2 goalies making 3 mill which one gets big time? Wait, i did say 2 goalies at 3mill atleast , well hope dunham is moved then. Maybe there is some sort of deal on the table for dunham so thats why he signed weekes. I dont know. But 2 goalies at that price what a waste.

Old
08-26-2004, 02:35 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbox81
McLennan is a Panther, I think we still have Valiquette
dude your right. damn i wish i valiquette wasn't on the team but i guess it means labarabbra and valiquette will start the season at hartford until blackburn comes back in december.

Old
08-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
look what the rangers traded holvmist for
"Larry" Nycholat. Holmqvist went on to lead the Aeros to a Calder Cup and grabbed the MVP trophy on the way. What's Lawrence done for us lately?

Old
08-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
"Larry" Nycholat. Holmqvist went on to lead the Aeros to a Calder Cup and grabbed the MVP trophy on the way. What's Lawrence done for us lately?
about as much as holvqvist has done for minnesota.

Old
08-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
What a shame, i was actually looking to see Valiquette get a legit shot at some real time. Guess he will not. I'm sure weekes was signed for 3mill per if not more ( probably 2 seasons , just till blackie is ready to go ), so that now leaves NYR with 2 goalies making 3 mill which one gets big time? Wait, i did say 2 goalies at 3mill atleast , well hope dunham is moved then. Maybe there is some sort of deal on the table for dunham so thats why he signed weekes. I dont know. But 2 goalies at that price what a waste.

But goalie is our deepest position! :lol

Old
08-26-2004, 05:02 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
On the other hand, Melrose, keeping Holmqvist wouldn't have helped the Rangers either--he would have been a free agent and needless to say, would not have re-signed with the organization. Nycholat is still young and played, I thought, solid hockey last year, both for the Rangers and Wolfpack (I thought he was the "best" defenseman for the Pack in the playoff series MSG showed). He's never going to be a star in the NHL but clearly can keep up with pace and may turn out to be a more solid version of Bouchard.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if LaBarbera had even less value on the trade market. Holmqvist proved to be a solid AHL goalie from the time he came over, but LaBarbera has had one breakout year--before that, he couldn't even stick in the AHL for a full season. And Holmqvist also showed that he can be a big game goalie--at least at the AHL level--whereas, LaBarbera didn't play up to his regular season level in the playoffs.

We'd be lucky to get more than a marginal prospect or lower draft pick for LaBarbera. His value to the organization is much higher. Hartford needs a solid goalie until Blackburn is ready to play and even then, chances are, will be needed until Blackburn is physically ready to get the majority of starts. And if Blackburn needs the whole year to recover, Hartford still has someone who can play the vast majority of the games and give the Wolfpack a solid chance to repeat their success of last season. And maybe even increase his trade value in the process.

Old
08-26-2004, 06:54 PM
NYR469

holmqvist got us nycholat and until labarbera shows that he can play in the nhl his value won't be much higher than that...so there really is no benefit to moving him now, ESPECIALLY since blackburn might not be ready to start the year...

if you are going to trade someone, the ideal situation is to cross your fingers and hope that dunham has a good start to the season. then trade dunham for something, promote labarbera to ny and leave hartford to blackburn...

Old
08-26-2004, 06:55 PM
Edge

But Labarbera in the same category as Labbe and Holmqvist. Guys who can play at the AHL level but have almost no chance of being NHL players.

I dont see how anyone can complain about Holmqvist considering he was moved so that Labarbera could be the AHL goalie in the first place......

If you don't move Holmqvist we don't even have this topic.

Jason is worth more as a stopgate at the AHL level than trading him for an 8th round draft pick at this point.

It's the same theory behind signing minor league vets to round out your ahl roster.

His trade value is just about nonexistent, even if it is at an alltime high.

He might very well turn out to be an nhl player someday {heck i never expected manny legace to turn into one} but it's gonna be because some team happened to get lucky. That's just the way the sport works and you could sit there and debate and hope all you want for something, but if people aren't gonna pay it than that's the end of the story.

Old
08-26-2004, 08:13 PM
gkrangers

You won't get more than a 5th round pick for him or a C/D level prospect.

Old
08-26-2004, 09:06 PM
majicpixie

Send a message via ICQ to majicpixie Send a message via AIM to majicpixie Send a message via MSN to majicpixie
Since Weekes was signed, there could be a trade in the works. I think Valiquette should be traded, and move LaBarbera up to NY to backup the starter (depending on who it is now between Dunham and Weekes). Have Blackburn and Osaer split the job in Hartford. Blackburn has to get back into the swing of things, and I don't think it would be a good idea to make him the starter for the Pack this season.

Old
08-26-2004, 09:20 PM
NYR469

rangers don't need to trade anyone until blackburn returns...

until blackburn is back, we'll have 4 goalies for 4 spots in ny & hartford

Old
08-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
But Labarbera in the same category as Labbe and Holmqvist. Guys who can play at the AHL level but have almost no chance of being NHL players.

I dont see how anyone can complain about Holmqvist considering he was moved so that Labarbera could be the AHL goalie in the first place......

If you don't move Holmqvist we don't even have this topic.

Jason is worth more as a stopgate at the AHL level than trading him for an 8th round draft pick at this point.

It's the same theory behind signing minor league vets to round out your ahl roster.

His trade value is just about nonexistent, even if it is at an alltime high.

He might very well turn out to be an nhl player someday {heck i never expected manny legace to turn into one} but it's gonna be because some team happened to get lucky. That's just the way the sport works and you could sit there and debate and hope all you want for something, but if people aren't gonna pay it than that's the end of the story.
LaBarbera got lucky and trading Holmqvist had nothing to do with it. As I said in my post above, Holmqvist was a group V free agent at the end of the season we traded him. It was clear from comments he made (mostly in Sweden, but I can't imagine the Rangers hadn't heard about it) that he had no interest in re-signing with the organization.

LaBarbera got lucky because Blackburn was going to play the majority of the minutes in Hartford--that much was clear once Sather traded for Markkanen. If Blackburn hadn't hurt his shoulder, who knows if LaBarbera even plays well enough to back him up.

Old
08-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Edge

Which is another aspect everyone needs to remember. Blackburn will not be starting the season anywhere right now. At best he's a november return and possibly more like December.

Once he comes back and plays a little, then this team can consider roster moves.

Old
08-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicpixie
Since Weekes was signed, there could be a trade in the works. I think Valiquette should be traded, and move LaBarbera up to NY to backup the starter (depending on who it is now between Dunham and Weekes). Have Blackburn and Osaer split the job in Hartford. Blackburn has to get back into the swing of things, and I don't think it would be a good idea to make him the starter for the Pack this season.
What happened to Dunham? It's not like he has any trade value to speak of and so far there is no indication that Blackburn will be ready to play by the beginning of the season, much less play the majority of the minutes when he does return to action. Also Osaer had a fairly serious injury, didn't he? And there's no indication that he is capable of being anything more than a backup in the AHL and that's not enough to leave him as the only starter at the beginnng of the season.

Clearly, all things being equal, Dunham and Weekes fight it out at the NHL level and LaBarbera and Valiquette start the season as the goalie tandem in Hartford. Once Blackburn is up to speed, then the situation is revisited, but chances are it only means that one of the AHL goalies is either moved or loaned to another club. Trading any of the "starting" 4 only puts more pressure on Blackburn--especially if either Dunham or Weekes is hurt for more a few games.

Old
08-26-2004, 10:56 PM
majicpixie

Send a message via ICQ to majicpixie Send a message via AIM to majicpixie Send a message via MSN to majicpixie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Also Osaer had a fairly serious injury, didn't he? And there's no indication that he is capable of being anything more than a backup in the AHL and that's not enough to leave him as the only starter at the beginnng of the season.
Osaer suffered a dislocated kneecap after 21 games. He started skating with the team during the playoffs. Blackburn, on the other hand, suffered nerve damage to his shoulder and couldn't play for a year. I think Blackburn's injury was worse than Osaer's, that's why I think they should split time in Hartford. Valiquette was acquired because of Osaer being on the IR, right? He's not really needed now, and I think the Rangers could get something good in return for him.

Why not move LaBarbera up to NY, and have Osaer and Blackburn in Hartford?

Closed Thread