HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Vancouver Canucks' Open Practice

Old
10-08-2011, 12:40 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

vCash: 500
Vancouver Canucks' Open Practice

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm...t-openpractice

Anyone going to that? I've never had the opportunity to personally see our guys skate (broke UBC student/foreign parents) so I want to use this chance to snap up some nice pictures.

For those too lazy to click the link, it's tomorrow at 10 AM, Rogers Arena. Theoretically free, but you're charged 6 bucks from handling fees.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I went to the free training camp sessions, it was great! Except for the stupid puck bunnies....ugh. Just let them do there thing goddamnit!

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 01:08 AM
thefeebster

If you are a UBC student and have never seen them up close, have you ever tried to go to Thunderbird Sports Center? They practice there for like 3 weeks in the summer and sporadically during the year. You can just waltz right in and watch them. When i went, they just put Canucks on the calendar so you know the time and rink they are on.

Just another option for you if you don't want to pay to see them.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 01:09 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
If you are a UBC student and have never seen them up close, have you ever tried to go to Thunderbird Sports Center? They practice there for like 3 weeks in the summer and sporadically during the year. You can just waltz right in and watch them. When i went, they just put Canucks on the calendar so you know the time and rink they are on.

Just another option for you if you don't want to pay to see them.
I knew about them practicing at Thunderbird, it's just that I was summer schooling/working and wound up forgetting about hockey for a while. :/ I'll keep an eye on them during the school year, though.

Old
10-08-2011, 08:52 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

T'was pretty cool.

As a "free-goer" I was limited to the upper bowl (apparently the lower bowl seats were sold earlier and at a higher price) and because bus schedules on weekends are extremely different than weekday ones I wound up getting to Rogers Arena pretty late (only 20 minutes before practice). Still had time to take a photo with the Clarence S. Campbell Bowl. I would also take one with the Selke but was too tight on time. Line ups for the Lindsey and Art Ross were way too big.

Was nice to see all of our guys skating - except Kesler and Raymond, of course. RK17 was on the locker room, though.

It isn't a joke when they say Hansen is the best practice player, he pulled off a few moves and bullet-like wristers. Higgins was very intense on the ice, too.

There was a shootout, too, with Bieksa providing commentary and delivering gems like :

(After Manny failed on a weak snap shot) - "You made it look effortless! Because it really was."

(After Samuelsson sniped Luongo top shelf) - "Why didn't you do that on Thursday, Sammy?"

Bieksa was actually the first to shoot after being "challenged" to do so, promising that his teammates would "watch and learn from me". He then skates up only to shoot wide and get booed by the crowd.

In terms of attendance, I would say the house looked about 33-40% full, but there were people doing stuff elsewhere in the arena as well so there were easily 10,000+ people around. Crazy for an open practice.