HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings AHL / Manchester Monarchs 2011-2012 Update Thread

Old
02-24-2012, 06:45 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
At least they are scoring goals now, too bad they get more goals against.

I like Vey's improvment over the season.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 06:56 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Yes after a rough start Vey seems to show some promise. Makes me think Manchester isn't completely barren of legit forward prospects.

BigBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:00 AM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
At least they are scoring goals now, too bad they get more goals against.

I like Vey's improvment over the season.
Ya just noticed his +5 last night too! Pretty impressive in a 7-6 game. Last 10 games he has 5G-7A-12PTS and +7. Like most first year pros it looks like he's adjusting very well.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Highlights from the Monarchs' 4-3 win against Providence.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:28 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Highlights from the Monarchs' 4-3 win against Providence.
Looked like a fun game. Vey is really starting to come into his own, I'd say. That'd be great if he can be a solid offensive option for the Kings down the road.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernKing View Post
Ya just noticed his +5 last night too! Pretty impressive in a 7-6 game. Last 10 games he has 5G-7A-12PTS and +7. Like most first year pros it looks like he's adjusting very well.

Though Vey now leads the Monarchs in scoring, I remain unconvinced.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 01:12 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Looked like a fun game. Vey is really starting to come into his own, I'd say. That'd be great if he can be a solid offensive option for the Kings down the road.
Yeah, I just noticed he's tied for team lead in points with Cliche.

I also noticed that Hickey, in addition to leading in plus/minus which he has from the beginning of the season, he's also now second on team with 19 assists.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:34 PM
hockeynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Yeah, I just noticed he's tied for team lead in points with Cliche.

I also noticed that Hickey, in addition to leading in plus/minus which he has from the beginning of the season, he's also now second on team with 19 assists.
Hickey has so many defensive lapses, I don't see him ever going up...Campbell is playing much better, more consistently than hickey.

hockeynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:56 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynutz View Post
Hickey has so many defensive lapses, I don't see him ever going up...Campbell is playing much better, more consistently than hickey.
Campbell seems to be a steady improver. I remember Manchester fans hating his guts

Old
02-29-2012, 09:15 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Another JJ?

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:42 PM
Johnny Utah

Well, now that JJ is gone; Voynov, Doughty and Martinez look to be the guys for many years now in terms of puck movers.

Scuderi is the next Kings UFA and no one really plays his style of game in Manchester....So it will be interesting to see what happens with Muzzin and Hickey...Deslauries is a ways away I assume.

I noticed Hunter has 1 goal in 3 games. No sign of Moreau still.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:42 AM
hockeynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Well, now that JJ is gone; Voynov, Doughty and Martinez look to be the guys for many years now in terms of puck movers.

Scuderi is the next Kings UFA and no one really plays his style of game in Manchester....So it will be interesting to see what happens with Muzzin and Hickey...Deslauries is a ways away I assume.

I noticed Hunter has 1 goal in 3 games. No sign of Moreau still.
Deslaurier has made huge progress since the beginning of the season. Assuming he continues to improve, he'll be good sooner rather than later.

moreau is done for the season, we've been told. Many of us think he's faking - where did he get hurt? On the plane??

Hickey needs to go. He won't crack the lineup in LA, so he needs to be given an opportunity elsewhere.

Hunter is a great addition...big, veteran presence. By all accounts, his attitude is positive & the hockey staff loves him. He 's the antithesis of Moreau.

hockeynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Deslaurier has made huge progress since the beginning of the season. Assuming he continues to improve, he'll be good sooner rather than later.

moreau is done for the season, we've been told. Many of us think he's faking - where did he get hurt? On the plane??

Hickey needs to go. He won't crack the lineup in LA, so he needs to be given an opportunity elsewhere.

Hunter is a great addition...big, veteran presence. By all accounts, his attitude is positive & the hockey staff loves him. He 's the antithesis of Moreau.
I really like to hear the two notes about Deslaurier and Hunter. I have high hopes for Deslaurier, and it's great the Hunter has come in and fit into the role the Kings wanted him to. The Monarchs need someone like that on their roster.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:58 AM
TKFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Campbell seems to be a steady improver. I remember Manchester fans hating his guts
I agree that Campbell has improved, but many of us still don't care for him.

TKFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:04 PM
TKFAN

Quote:

Deslaurier - thrilled about how much progress he has made.

Moreau - "fake" concussion.

Hickey - just go away.

Hunter - gives 110% every shift. Could use a couple more Hunter's on the team

Unfortunately, I really don't think the Monarchs will make the playoffs this season, wasn't that long ago and the team was near the top of the league. Seems as though the call ups have really hurt the team and now they aren't really playing like a team.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Vey was named rookie of the month.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Capn Brown

There's a lot of Hickey hate.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:53 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
There's a lot of Hickey hate.
There was a lot of Voynov hate too and he's looking mighty fine. But he still might be running on them rookie fumes though, hopefully he keeps sharp.

Old
03-02-2012, 11:22 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
There was a lot of Voynov hate too and he's looking mighty fine. But he still might be running on them rookie fumes though, hopefully he keeps sharp.
That's the thing about the minor leagues. Alot of players seem to be totally different players at different levels. People complained that Voinov wasn't ready defensively for the NHL and for the most part he's proven us wrong. Sometimes the more chaotic and less structured AHL makes people look worse or somtimes better. Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that the AHL is a developmental league and that some players can be focusing on certain aspects of their game the same way they do in Juniors. Hickey is one of those where I remember people being up in arms when his last year in Seattle he wasn't putting up points like he had been. But if you watched him at all that year, it was very clear that he was focusing on developing the defensive side of his game and learning to make better reads and work on his positioning. Just because a guy struggles in the AHL doesn't mean there isn't more going on and that may explain those struggles at least in some cases.

With Voinov being in the NHL and then getting sent down and now being back again, I'd imagine most of those rookie fumes are gone and that the Voinov we are seeing now is the real deal. As opposed to King and Nolan who are probably still running on the momentum of being called up.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I think Voynov playing with Mitchell has been huge for his game. Mitchell was interviewed and said that he was impressed with how much Voynov wants to learn. Voynov is very dedicated to improving his game. He has all of the physical tools to be a top 4 NHL defenseman and he appears to make good defensive reads most of the time, especially for a rookie.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:08 PM
TKFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
That's the thing about the minor leagues. Alot of players seem to be totally different players at different levels. People complained that Voinov wasn't ready defensively for the NHL and for the most part he's proven us wrong. Sometimes the more chaotic and less structured AHL makes people look worse or somtimes better. Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that the AHL is a developmental league and that some players can be focusing on certain aspects of their game the same way they do in Juniors. Hickey is one of those where I remember people being up in arms when his last year in Seattle he wasn't putting up points like he had been. But if you watched him at all that year, it was very clear that he was focusing on developing the defensive side of his game and learning to make better reads and work on his positioning. Just because a guy struggles in the AHL doesn't mean there isn't more going on and that may explain those struggles at least in some cases.
All I can say about this is Hickey has quite a ways to go.

Old
03-02-2012, 05:29 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFAN View Post
All I can say about this is Hickey has quite a ways to go.
I've been hearing that and yet,
Stats for the Monarchs d-men:

Patrick Mullen 53GP 7G 23A 30P -7 35PM
Thomas Hickey 59GP 2G 20A 22P +12 28PIM
Jake Muzzin 54GP 5G 14A 19P -12 34PIM
Nic Deslausiers 48GP 1G 8A 9P -11 43PIM
David Kolomatis 41GP 4G 15A 19P -1 8PIM
Andrew Campbell 59GP 2G 13A 15P +2 42PIM
Jordan Hill 38GP 1G 2A 3P -6 33PIM

He must be doing something right because his +/- jumps out everytime I look at stats. He's really the only Monarchs d-man that is on the ice for more goals for than goals against. It's not like his offensive numbers are great either so that's not covering his bad defensive play (look at Muzzin and his -12 with 3 less points) There isn't even someone else that has an absurd +/- to match his, so it's clearly not a case of him benfiting from his partner. Unless you want to make the argument that management and the Narchs coaching staff is somehow protecting him, I'd think you can make an argument that the Monarchs are a better team when Hickey is on the ice as I can't think of another way to explain it.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:35 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Maybe he consistently gets to play with the scoring lines or something? No clue... But I guess he must be doing something right.

Old
03-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Johnny Utah

The scouting review on Voynov was always Kronwall type comparisons...He had that one fight and a couple Doughty-esque checks. We will see how that part of his game progresses.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:08 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I spent the entirety of my last weekend in Colorado watching Forbort v N Shoreplay in person (even caught the Kings game too). Forbort keeps getting better and N Shore keeps looking like a 3rd line player who has some better than average skills.

He doesn't look like anything special just yet but it is early to tell. Forbort has improved allot. To see my thoughts on both of them scroll back a page or so.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote