Don Cherry

Old
10-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Agreed, he called them names, He never slandered them. He didn't damage their reputations with false statements.
Actually he pretty much did. I'm not saying it's lawsuit-worthy, because I think that there's far too much frivolous litigation these days, but he did make false statements about (two of) them in a public format which called their integrity into question.

I'm pretty sure that if the lawyers they talked to didn't think they had a possible case, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 07:07 PM
howaryuh

There is a lot of broohaha over the words of Cherry, and in this case he probably did go over the top a bit.
But I get his context, and agree with him. The players involved are like thieves telling others it's just not right to steal, but only after there is nothing left for them to steal or they have no purpose for it anymore.
Even their actions of 'threatening to sue' gives me a poor impression of them.
I have a feeling we'll see Cherry/McLean on a different station though after all this, CBC has enough scandals and drama to deal with.

howaryuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 01:38 AM
nORRis8*

[QUOTE=BBB24;37905511]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nORRis8 View Post
[B]Don Cherry has never slandered first nations people, the quote you used in a previous post is exactly what Ted Nolan said when he talked to first nation people who complained about the white man.
Cherry asks "So what you are saying is that natives have a inferiority complex when something happens to them...?"

McLean interrupts "Why wouldn't they when they're not given a fair shake in life"

Cherry "Fair shake in life, go get your own fair shake in life and work for it, don't give me that stuff......"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5p5r...layer_embedded

Last edited by nORRis8*: 10-15-2011 at 05:27 PM.
nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:57 AM
jgatie

Don Cherry racist against First Nations people? You've got to be kidding me!! His favorite player of all time is a full blooded Tuscorora, from the Six Nations reservation in Ontario. A man so admired, Grapes draped his #17 Jersey over the staute of his beloved dog Blue. The greatest pound for pound fighter in NHL history, who could actually play the game (was Jean Ratelle's left wing) - Mr. Stan Jonathan.

Silly accusations against Cherry are just as biased as Cherry is himself. But at least Cherry admits it.

jgatie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Btown

Cherry for Prez!!!
Law suit really?
Y not bring them all on judge Judy, so that bit** can rip those low life goons a new one.
Even she knows how frivolous of a law suit that is..
I think Cherry has said enough things to every minority to balance it's self out I don't hate 1 race I hate them all equally style..
Ps especially lazy flag burning "hippies".
Vote Cherry!

Btown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btown View Post
Cherry for Prez!!!
Law suit really?
Y not bring them all on judge Judy, so that bit** can rip those low life goons a new one.
Even she knows how frivolous of a law suit that is..
I think Cherry has said enough things to every minority to balance it's self out I don't hate 1 race I hate them all equally style..
Ps especially lazy flag burning "hippies".
Vote Cherry!
Hippies? What year is this, 1968?

Not to mention that Canada doesn't have a president, but a prime minister.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Nice by Don tonight admitting he was dead wrong.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Interesting apology and retraction by Cherry.

Old
10-16-2011, 12:20 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
He seems scared ****less after lawsuit. Seems like he's practically begging "don't sue me and don't get me fired" IMO.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:55 AM
nORRis8*

Cherry straaaaaaaained out an apology. Hmmmm.

And in other news....winter jackets are selling fast........in hell.

Old
10-16-2011, 02:06 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

For anyone who missed it. The quality is poor and audio is really quiet, but it's the only thing I could find on yt right now.

Direct result of a backroom "make an on-air retraction and apology, and we can keep this out of the courtroom" deal, if I had to guess. I like his "...I got it, and that's best I can do."

Edit: better video on the player here: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=378173

Last edited by Dogberry: 10-16-2011 at 03:24 AM.
Old
10-16-2011, 03:29 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Chris Nilan retweeted a tweet from JTISportsManagement that says he's happy and he and Cherry and "friends again".

Quote:
Happy to see Don Cherry appologized to @KnucklesNilan30 @asgrimson @JimThomson33. Sitting with knucks now and very pleased. Friends again
http://twitter.com/#!/KnucklesNilan30

So yay, this story is basically over.

Old
10-16-2011, 03:50 PM
nORRis8*

Yes this story is over....until Cherry decides to stab other former players in the back or call down another nationality and then beat is chest and tell everyone how great he is.

Time to retire Don.

Old
10-16-2011, 04:00 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nORRis8 View Post
HWJr. should have said " It would be like Bobby Orr playing golf with Alan Eagleson."...for us Canadians so we can get a better perspective.
Okay Mister Faux News, he did compare and admitted it during the interview. But I guess when you say stuff on Faux News, you can always twist and pretend you didn't say what you said and clowns in North America will believe you. And why in the **** would you ever invoke that name? Guess he should have used your name...but alas he didn't HE USED THE NAME of the most despicable person in the 20th century and said it on purpose. Yeah...keep going Faux News

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:22 PM
nORRis8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
Okay Mister Faux News, he did compare and admitted it during the interview. But I guess when you say stuff on Faux News, you can always twist and pretend you didn't say what you said and clowns in North America will believe you. And why in the **** would you ever invoke that name? Guess he should have used your name...but alas he didn't HE USED THE NAME of the most despicable person in the 20th century and said it on purpose. Yeah...keep going Faux News
Okey dokey.

Old
10-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Turk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatie View Post
Don Cherry racist against First Nations people? You've got to be kidding me!! His favorite player of all time is a full blooded Tuscorora, from the Six Nations reservation in Ontario. A man so admired, Grapes draped his #17 Jersey over the staute of his beloved dog Blue. The greatest pound for pound fighter in NHL history, who could actually play the game (was Jean Ratelle's left wing) - Mr. Stan Jonathan.

Silly accusations against Cherry are just as biased as Cherry is himself. But at least Cherry admits it.

Absolutely true. I don't agree with Don all the time, but I nearly always disagree with his detractors. They are more self righteous than DC ever thought of being.

Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:58 AM
hubofhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBruin View Post
For anyone who missed it. The quality is poor and audio is really quiet, but it's the only thing I could find on yt right now.

Direct result of a backroom "make an on-air retraction and apology, and we can keep this out of the courtroom" deal, if I had to guess. I like his "...I got it, and that's best I can do."

Edit: better video on the player here: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=378173

Wonder why he keeps looking to his right? Very odd. Clearly uncomfortable. Gives whole thing a contrived, awkward feel.

And still believe threat of suit had ZERO to do with it. Smacks of employer telling employee to make things right, or make plans to work elsewhere.

- hub

hubofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubofhockey View Post
Wonder why he keeps looking to his right? Very odd. Clearly uncomfortable. Gives whole thing a contrived, awkward feel.

And still believe threat of suit had ZERO to do with it. Smacks of employer telling employee to make things right, or make plans to work elsewhere.

- hub
Dont know who he is looking at because I am pretty sure it is just them and a camera in the room because having people around messes up Cherry. I think Don gets to info about how much time is left in his ear piece, hence why he always ends it.

Morris Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 04:36 PM
howaryuh

Quote:

- hub
TSN would have a blank cheque ready in hand in no time. Ron MacLean has also gone on record as saying if one of us falls on the sword, we both do. CBC needs Cherry more than he needs them.
Case in point, a project within CBC had gone over budget by some $30MM, they chose the timing of this to release blank documents. Politically astute bunch they are! They owe Cherry big time for providing a distraction.
My daughter commented on Mike Milbury's tie on the Hotstove segment last Saturday night. "Is he trying to be like Don Cherry?" I thought, hmmm......

Old
10-17-2011, 04:48 PM
DaveFromNB

Quote:

- hub
He always does that "to the right thing", as an example you can look at the video on page 1. He and McLean are sort of having a conversation on Coaches Corner, so he talks that way.

I'm not sure any of us would be comfortable being on national TV apologizing...

DaveFromNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFromNB View Post
He always does that "to the right thing", as an example you can look at the video on page 1. He and McLean are sort of having a conversation on Coaches Corner, so he talks that way.

I'm not sure any of us would be comfortable being on national TV apologizing...
Yeah, he is always glancing over in McLean's direction on every Coach's Corner. At the same time, it's obvious someone told him to apologize. That's made obvious by the the "I got it, and that's the best I can do" comment.

I always feel a bit bad for McLean on Coach's Corner. I wouldn't want to be stuck holding that guy's leash.

Old
10-17-2011, 04:54 PM
howaryuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBruin View Post
I always feel a bit bad for McLean on Coach's Corner. I wouldn't want to be stuck holding that guy's leash.
Don't feel bad, they are best buds on the road.

Old
10-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Btown

Cherry come on buddy, man up, ur old enough to get away with it... Somebody take away his "man card". U let me down Don .

Old
10-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btown View Post
Cherry come on buddy, man up, ur old enough to get away with it... Somebody take away his "man card". U let me down Don .
Was this post done on a Commodore 64?

This is now turned into Don can't win. He does apologize, everyone is all over him. He doesn't apologize, every one is all over him.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Btown

The man has to stick to his beliefs and not let others sway him. Commodore 64?