HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Sabres - 10/08/11 - POST GAME THOUGHTS

Old
10-10-2011, 01:48 AM
LAX attack*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Maybe Berenson was playing to Johnson's strengths?

Isnt that what good coaches do?

The Kings have a very defensive coach/system.

Is that playing to Johnson's strengths?

Who is the good/bad coach in this equation?

One that recognizes a player's strengths and uses them accordingly?

Or one that tries to get them to play away from their strengths and focuses on making them play to their weaknesses?

What kind of gm throws a player's college coach under the bus after they have already played three and a half years for their team?

Im sorry, but that is ****ing ridiculous, and should be called out as such.
I don't know what to say. DL forgot more about hockey after a wild night than you have known your whole life. I think the dude is right when he's talking about a man he'd been working with for 3 years at that point.

And if you had watched the Kings in JJ's early days (obviously you didn't) then you'd realize that Jack pretty much didn't realize that he had to play in this thing called a system which uses these guys called teammates to occasionally help him out. JJ still doesn't really seem to understand this principle many times but he's getting better

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:31 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
If you are going to speak at least know what you are talking about. He was drafted in 2005 and has played 284 games. You don't like him, you've made it obvious for years. But if you are going to further your agenda get it right.
Oh forgive me, his 5th season. If that makes you feel better.

For years many Kings fans are complaining about Jack Johnson already. Own fans. Than you know something is wrong.

You do like him and you've made it obvious for years. Now you even dare to say that Doughty is more dangerous in his own zone than Jack.

No offense no name, but saying stuff like that, should be fined. Its ridiculous and an insult to unbiased (Kings) fans who have been watching Jack Johnson for years. I always tried to talk positive about him, you know that's true. I have come to the point that's not possible anymore.

Last edited by Frolov 6'3: 10-10-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:56 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Yawn, this debate again. Someone who has sent more players to the NHL than any other college coach can't develop or the NTDP can't develop.

How many people saw Johnson play as a freshman at UM?
He was raw, he made a lot of mistakes, he was a maniac, he made stupid decisions. The progression he made from his freshman to sophomore season was incredible. So maybe you guys can blame Ron Rolston at the NTDP, but then again he is probably the biggest influence on this generation of American players like Kane, J Johnson, E. Johnson, Fowler, Mueller, Kessel, JVR etc. To say these guys can't coach is simply ridiculous, the results of the kids they have coached say otherwise.

Adjusting to the NHL is not easy, especially on a god awful team like the Kings with a god awful coach like Crawford.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:14 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Why would a college coach care about development? They aren't paid to develop NHL players. They're paid to get to the NCAA and roll into the frozen four.

You get a guy with the talent of Jack Johnson it's better to have him run around and be successful just because of pure physical ability. Having to take the time to build the on ice awareness and positioning just means losing a year or two as he figures it out. You don't have a year or two with a 1st round pick. Even JJ who loved college wasn't going to be around long enough to train. So it's throw him on the ice and know that in the college game that level of talent out-weights training.

I think Major Juniors are a better route for prospects. It's in the best interests of a junior team to work on the prospects like the NHL team wants them to do. They make more in the long-run due to that level of connection. College doesn't need to care.
Different methods work better for different schools and programs. Michigan appears to draw top athletic talent and gives them their head to let their natural ability win games for them.

Contrast that to what Lombardi said about Forbort and how he expects him to be developed at North Dakota. There is a big difference at least in Lombardi's opinion.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Asheru

Quote:
That's big talk for a one-eyed fat man.

How many Jack Adam's has Lombardi won?
Oh look, the Edmonton fan derailing stuff into an anti-DL tirade again. What a surprise.

Johnson did have a lot to learn. He is also a physical force and has some great offensive skill. He was acquired because if he can put it all together, he will be a force. But if not there are others to take his place.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:05 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheru View Post
Oh look, the Edmonton fan derailing stuff into an anti-DL tirade again. What a surprise.

Johnson did have a lot to learn. He is also a physical force and has some great offensive skill. He was acquired because if he can put it all together, he will be a force. But if not there are others to take his place.
You better go back and read through thread again.

It wasnt me that brought up Lombardi.

Thanks for thinking so highly of me though.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:15 PM
DaAnimal

Love it how when we lose, JJ becomes the scapegoat.

I missed the game but luckily i tevoed everything.

Pros:
We still look fast
We finally made some improvements on the PP! But it still needs to get better
J Ber did pretty well for the most part

Cons:
A lot of players were invisible. It could be the time difference!
Passing needs to get better

Thank goodness we don't play the sabres agian, 2nd period was really bad for us, 3rd period we turned on the lights but a little too late

Last edited by DaAnimal: 10-10-2011 at 12:21 PM.
DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:24 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:

hug!

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
is this how this place is going to be this season? JJ scores the game winner in game 1, game 2 we lose and people want him traded?
no, it's just one moron fan of some other team...

move along.

It's been a while since I've actually had an HF poster on "ignore" but I am almost at that stage again. I can only take so much uninformed and useless yelling (but it is some comic relief at times as well)

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:24 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Oh forgive me, his 5th season. If that makes you feel better.

For years many Kings fans are complaining about Jack Johnson already. Own fans. Than you know something is wrong.

You do like him and you've made it obvious for years. Now you even dare to say that Doughty is more dangerous in his own zone than Jack.

No offense no name, but saying stuff like that, should be fined. Its ridiculous and an insult to unbiased (Kings) fans who have been watching Jack Johnson for years. I always tried to talk positive about him, you know that's true. I have come to the point that's not possible anymore.
I am no more of a fan of Jack as I am of Drew Doughty. It's impossible to like Jack more than Drew considering what Drew has done. I'm just a fan of young defenseman. I have just been outspoken in defending Jack because some people expected him to immediately come in and be a star and any objective person knew that wasn't going to happen. He's improving each year and at this stage of his career is not a poor defensive player as it is.

Drew does in fact take just as many chances as Jack. His passes up the middle were a staple of peoples irritation with him last season. The game day threads were filled with people calling him on it. In his case it was a case of overconfidence while in Jack's case he's just not an overly smart hockey player to begin with coupled with him being overconfidence.

Jack is the type of guy you want on a team. Everyone loves him, he works harder than anyone, is young, talented and improving while already being a dynamic offensive player. All that while taking a sweetheart deal.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Jack is the type of guy you want on a team. Everyone loves him, he works harder than anyone, is young, talented and improving while already being a dynamic offensive player. All that while taking a sweetheart deal.
Not to mention he hates to lose. That's probably the part that I like the most about him, especially when our captain is spouting off crap like "sometimes you have to lose before you can win" and he's saying "**** that, you never have to lose".

I just wish he was smarter in his own end. He has been the recipient of some bad luck over the years, but his plus/minus is getting harder to ignore and the window is shrinking on whether or not he will grow into a better defensive player.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

on the bright side, Jack has been awesome in the playoffs/olympics so far, which is a good sign

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
I agree with Willie Mitchell's take on JJ

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I agree with Willie Mitchell's take on JJ
link? or a summary instead?

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
can we stop bashing Johnson here ???????????

It's not that we lose because Johnson is on our team.
If you hate him for some reason you will always find a stat that speaks against him.

The problems are so0mewhere else.
Someone mentioned one of the team plus is speed.
Of course we are playing a hockey style that takes out any speed.

I can't believe someone is blaming the defense for that

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
can we stop bashing Johnson here ???????????

It's not that we lose because Johnson is on our team.
If you hate him for some reason you will always find a stat that speaks against him.

The problems are so0mewhere else.
Someone mentioned one of the team plus is speed.
Of course we are playing a hockey style that takes out any speed.

I can't believe someone is blaming the defense for that
Clearly, it's all Stoll's fault. Right?

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:55 PM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Clearly, it's all Stoll's fault. Right?
No its Westgarths fault!

BehindEnemyLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Unless it's something bad I find teammates' comments completely useless. They will always say something great about anyone. You get a feeling there are 20 Hall of Famers in every locker room.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:19 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Unless it's something bad I find teammates' comments completely useless. They will always say something great about anyone. You get a feeling there are 20 Hall of Famers in every locker room.
Unless you are Derek Jeter who is supposed to be sports greatest captain. He rarely says nice things about his teammates.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Cruel11
Maximoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
I think he's talking about Willie's interview about JJ and DD over the summer.

Basically, he said that JJ’s game is evolving and he may be more talented than Doughty. Jack's skating and skill is comparable to Scott Niedermayer.

Fast forward to the 46:07 of the podcast.

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/brady...-7am-hour).mp3

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Asheru

Quote:

You're not the person who brought him up -- you did take the opportunity (once again) to criticize him.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:11 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Unless you are Derek Jeter who is supposed to be sports greatest captain. He rarely says nice things about his teammates.
Why should he? Those guys get paid a ton of money to do their job, that's their reward. When they don't do their job the captain should remind them of that fact. The Kings could use a captain like that, somebody who isn't afraid to speak.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:51 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Why should he? Those guys get paid a ton of money to do their job, that's their reward. When they don't do their job the captain should remind them of that fact. The Kings could use a captain like that, somebody who isn't afraid to speak.
I think as a captain you should support a teammate going through a difficult time. Instead he not only doesn't keep it diplomatic but he throws people under the bus unless it's one of his boys.

Old
10-11-2011, 02:10 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
I think as a captain you should support a teammate going through a difficult time. Instead he not only doesn't keep it diplomatic but he throws people under the bus unless it's one of his boys.
We all go through difficult times. Leave that **** at home and play the game. I'm sure Jeter has had his tough days, like going home to Jessica Alba or Biel.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 06:17 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheru View Post
You're not the person who brought him up -- you did take the opportunity (once again) to criticize him.
Because I disagreed with the notion that somehow Red Berenson is responsible for Jack Johnson's poor defensive play three and a half years into his nhl career.

Is that not allowed?

Should Lombardi be referred to from now on as "he who shall not be named"?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote