HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Ausgezeichnet!

Old
10-08-2011, 04:53 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

vCash: 500
G -
Miller positionally strong today
Loved Kaleta ... Another strong game
Gerbe transformed into the Tasmanian Devil for this game
Adam continues to impress, I am not sold on him ... Yet

B -
Not a full 60 min. Effort

U -
Nothing too glaring to consider it ugly

Nice win, nice Europe trip... Come hope safe guys!!

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:01 PM
chi777

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
If I were a betting man I would put my money on Ennis or McCormick sitting ahead of him. Fair or not thats how I see it playing out.
I'll take that bet on Ennis. There's almost no chance he comes out for Hecht. IMO it would be Boyes to come out if he continues to look lost.

chi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Afinogretzky

Ennis is the most exciting player on our team. As he continues to mature, he'll be one of the best "create something out of nothing" guys in the league. He's got the hockey IQ to really excel. 2 low key games and we're bashing the guy already? why the **** is this fan base so critical?

Afinogretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:05 PM
barcs

For the first time in a while we can all agree on a whipping boy this year. Thank you Brad!

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:06 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogretzky View Post
Ennis is the most exciting player on our team. As he continues to mature, he'll be one of the best "create something out of nothing" guys in the league. He's got the hockey IQ to really excel. 2 low key games and we're bashing the guy already? why the **** is this fan base so critical?
He seemed to take a step forward towards the end of last season in terms of limiting his own zone turnovers and not trying to do too much in the neutral zone and his own zone - and that translated into more offensive zone time for his line and increased offensive production - but he seems to be back to the way he played in the middle of last season right now.

He hasn't proven he can be consistent over the course of a season yet, and sometimes it just doesn't happen. I see nothing wrong with what Jame said. Right now on this roster there are 9-10 guys who have accomplished more at this level and are more important than Ennis. If he has a great season he makes an already strong season stronger.

I also don't see a problem with criticizing a player for playing two relatively poor games. I don't think many people think he should be taken out of the lineup (although if the poor play continues into the 10-15 game mark it certainly shouldn't be out of the discussion), but I'm not going to sit here and sugarcoat my criticism because of a vague "ability to create something out of nothing". Fact is, he's the only guy in the top 9 that didn't record a point on this trip, and he turned the puck over in the defensive 2/3rds of the rink far too often.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:06 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Ennis is the most exciting player on our team. As he continues to mature, he'll be one of the best "create something out of nothing" guys in the league. He's got the hockey IQ to really excel. 2 low key games and we're bashing the guy already? wtf is wrong with this fan base.
So we're supposed to bow down to Ennis?

I call 'em as I see them, and Ennis has for the most part not been good out there. Yes, he probably will get better, but that doesn't mean he should be immune from criticism right now. Just as Roy and Boyes are getting called out.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Wayyyyy too hard on Ennis. It's been 2 games for ****s sake. We know he's one of our top players.
Figures a guy with "Afinogretzky" would love Mini-genov.

(no one point out the hypocrisy of my post )

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Afinogretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post

i don't get it. is it a bad thing if he has some afinogenov in him? fast players with his kind of lateral movement are going to turn it over more, mainly because they carry the puck so much. Max was no where as effective at Ennis' age - I mean, the kid is 23 years old and he didn't even play "bad". doesn't he deserve some slack?

Afinogretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

2 down

96 wins to go

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:20 PM
chi777

I think our fans can be pretty insane. I have no idea what they're looking at sometimes. Ennis has not been bad at all. He's been doing a pretty good job of creating chances and his points will come. He hasn't been a defensive liability or looked lost or turned the puck over an excessive amount.

He's not going to sit in favor of Hecht.

chi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:24 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi777 View Post
I think our fans can be pretty insane. I have no idea what they're looking at sometimes. Ennis has not been bad at all. He's been doing a pretty good job of creating chances and his points will come. He hasn't been a defensive liability or looked lost or turned the puck over an excessive amount.

He's not going to sit in favor of Hecht.
I don't think he's going to sit in favor of Hecht either (that will be Boyes atm or more likely Kaleta will get himself hurt again), but he certainly has turned the puck over more than his fair share in the defensive zone and trying to get into the offensive zone. His turnover was the tipping point in the 3rd period yesterday that got the Sabres hemmed into their own end and taking penalties which spirialed into a poor 3rd, and he turned the puck over a couple more times in his own end today.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:53 PM
glassjaw*

Good:
Apparently Adam and Grags

Bad:
Apparently Ennis and Boyes

Ugly:
I missed the game because I was at work and there won't be another one until Friday. ****.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:56 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

G - Pretty much the entire EuroTrip. Adam making Darcy sweat about cap space.

B - Roy admiring Gagne instead of checking Kopitar.

U - Fans whining about individual player point production two games in after landing at 3:30am in the middle of a back to back. In Europe.

(Lighten up folks. It's frigging October.)

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:59 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
Good:
Apparently Adam and Grags

Bad:
Apparently Ennis and Boyes

Ugly:
I missed the game because I was at work and there won't be another one until Friday. ****.
same here, work was worth it for me though: OOOOOOOVVEEEERTIME !!!!

I hope the have the replay on at 7 again like last night though ..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:02 PM
glassjaw*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
same here, work was worth it for me though: OOOOOOOVVEEEERTIME !!!!

I hope the have the replay on at 7 again like last night though ..
Yup, I'm watching it right now, though I'm tempted to just watch the highlights and catch another game.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:11 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
Yup, I'm watching it right now, though I'm tempted to just watch the highlights and catch another game.
ya since I know when there going to score I am going to keep flipping back and forth with the Leaf/Senators game..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
I don't think he's going to sit in favor of Hecht either (that will be Boyes atm or more likely Kaleta will get himself hurt again), but he certainly has turned the puck over more than his fair share in the defensive zone and trying to get into the offensive zone. His turnover was the tipping point in the 3rd period yesterday that got the Sabres hemmed into their own end and taking penalties which spirialed into a poor 3rd, and he turned the puck over a couple more times in his own end today.

Vanek has had some pretty horrible turnovers as well....

I think the point is... team is 2-0 ... Ennis will come around..... He was probably our best forward for the majority of preseason ...

To rip the guy (I know that wasn't you) seems a little absurd at this point ...2 games into season.

Overall I'm pleased with everyones play pretty much... even Grags (tho i'd rather have Weber in) .

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Myers defensive play really stood out, Miller was excellent once again, and Gerbe is just awesome. I just love watching that guy play, so much hustle and toughness.

I was irritated by the Ehrhoff no goal, because I don't think Cody touched it at all. From the LA feed it looked like Bernier just fumbled it.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:22 PM
joshjull

Pommer breaking out an added dimension to his game. Two solid games in a row at the dot. 3 of 5 yesterday and 3 of 4 today.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:23 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Couple of things

1) this is a GBU thread breaking down his play in this game. It's not a commentary on his career

2) I mentioned Ennis and McComick coming out based more on line implications than Boyes playing better. Neither of Ennis or Boyes was particularly sharp today IMO.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

I think we all need to remind ourselves of the TEAM concept, and be at peace with the fact that every single player on the team will never have their best games at the same time.

Ennis is fine. I think he just needs more PP time to really show how dangerous he can be.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I think we all need to remind ourselves of the TEAM concept, and be at peace with the fact that every single player on the team will never have their best games at the same time.

Ennis is fine. I think he just needs more PP time to really show how dangerous he can be.
Nobody's really arguing that. The bottom line is if this team is healthy when Hecht is ready to go, somebody's going to have to come out. At this point in the incredibly early part of the season, Ennis is a candidate. It has nothing to do with how important he'll be to the team in the future or what his potential is or what he can do sometimes or any of that. It's a logistics game, and in that game you take out who your current weak link is.

Of course, all of this could change in two weeks or whenever Hecht is ready to go.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

U: Stoll's hit on Ehrhoff. First Shanaban of the season coming up???

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 356
I was not expecting much from Adam. I viewed him as too slow for the NHL. I will reassess this opinion.

I have been a Roy apologist for years. With this team, I would consider moving him if a Spezza or Stasny is available. There is something about Derek that doesn't shout TEAM.

I see nothing of worth from Brad Boyes. I hope he turns a corner. It will be hard on a 3rd or 4th line, but he needs to man up.

The above aside, this could be my favorite Sabres team to watch in decades.

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 07:20 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post

Wouldn't dream of it Afino

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote