HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Ausgezeichnet!

Old
10-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Nobody's really arguing that. The bottom line is if this team is healthy when Hecht is ready to go, somebody's going to have to come out. At this point in the incredibly early part of the season, Ennis is a candidate. It has nothing to do with how important he'll be to the team in the future or what his potential is or what he can do sometimes or any of that. It's a logistics game, and in that game you take out who your current weak link is.

Of course, all of this could change in two weeks or whenever Hecht is ready to go.
With concussions, you can't set return dates. Hecht may be done for the year if the doctors say that's in his best interest. Hopefully he will be back in a week or two, but if the team continues to pump out wins he might not be able to crack the lineup!

When he does get back, they might have 2 or 3 other forwards out with injuries. There's no point planning on scratching Ennis right now.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Just randoms, 2.47 AM here, too tired for a proper analysis:

- completely blown away by Luke Adam... I didn't think he'd stick... he still might not, he might cool off etc... but certainly didn't expect this
- Vanek and Pommer have raced out of the gates
- pretty happy with the D, and Rej-Grags pairing, while playing "easier" minutes, has been relatively steady in their own zone to go with their offensive presence... goes with insane mobility I suppose
- I still miss Weber (and Hecht) in the line-up
- Boyes just... doesn't fit IMO...
- Roy, Ennis and some others still haven't gotten going
- Ehrhoff and Regehr... I loved the signings then, I'm loving them even more now

Very pleased with these two games, can't really ask for more.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Jeremy2020

They didn't score enough goals for my liking. I know they won, but they didn't win by enough or win in the way that I wanted them to do so. I am predicting DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:18 PM
umbertovanek

G:
  • the crowd - pretty awesome, seeing the European fan culture mesh with Northern american hockey. Like it.
  • Vanek. Nuff said.
  • Luke "the force is strong with you" Adam. Can you say "top six center"?
  • Overall consistency. Not for a single second I was afraid of them losing the game.
  • Miller. Silently great.
B:
  • Hating on the guys who were a bit less than overwhelming. Didn't see Boyes being awful at all, he was just not that spectacular. Same goes for Roy, Ennis, Leino. None of them made any blatant mistakes IIRC.
    Myers didn't wow me either tonight, yet, he did his job well, hence they won.
  • The anthem singer. Just don't like this overly make-believe enthusiasm. Good thing, they don't do this back in America. Oh wait, ...
U: Can't think of anything right now.

umbertovanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:08 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
If the team is clipping along at its current pace when Hecht is healthy, why mess with the formula? Give him rehab starts in the A until someone actually warrants a demotion.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:23 PM
gallagt01

I LOVE the Regehr/Myers pairing. I wish they'd get more IT than Leo/Hoff. These guys don't give anything up. Nobody's got the puck in front of the net. Everything kept outside, etc.

Kopitars second goal was slick. Guys a star.

Good W. Gerbe is the man. Miller is sound.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:26 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2020 View Post
They didn't score enough goals for my liking. I know they won, but they didn't win by enough or win in the way that I wanted them to do so. I am predicting DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
I'm in the mobile version doom stretches off the reply box and into oblivion. I laughed.

I was going to go Myers with the next jersey but it may have to be Gerbe or Ehrhoff. They've really brought it so far, Gerbe especially.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:44 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Regehr/Myers is sickeningly good. They just stifle everything. They powerplay also looks great, as does Miller.

Not going to nitpick individual guys two games into the season. Everybody has good and bad stretches, lots of hockey ahead of us.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:04 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Two games into the season (in Europe no less) doesn't make a trend. If anything, I'd just as soon leave Hecht on the bench if we keep beating good teams by multiple goals. I mean, seriously, the amount of hate in here after a 4-1 and 4-2 weekend is pretty hilarious.

I think you can make ONE change to the lines to get both Ennis and Boyes going. Flip Gerbe and Ennis.

Gerbe-Leino-Boyes
Ennis-Roy-Stafford

We know the ERS line was good last year, and Gerbe would create tons of room for Leino and Boyes to make things happen.

VAP should not (and will not) be broken up anytime soon. Guys have 13 combined points in 2 games.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:05 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Even better, when Hecht comes back we can move Leino to wing.

VAP
Ennis-Roy-Stafford
Leino-Hecht-Boyes (you get Leino a playmaker, Boyes a finisher, and the ultimate glue guy who can make it work)
GGK
McCormick

That would be one hell of a lineup to be icing.
Leino was brought in to play center. Theyre not going to stick him on the wing after 2 weeks in favor of Hecht.

Old
10-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogretzky View Post
Ennis is the most exciting player on our team. As he continues to mature, he'll be one of the best "create something out of nothing" guys in the league. He's got the hockey IQ to really excel. 2 low key games and we're bashing the guy already? why the **** is this fan base so critical?
i think Ennis will be to this era's contender, what Afinogenov was to the Drury/Briere era... which was exciting, sometimes important, but at the end of the day... mostly just window dressing

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:13 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i think Ennis will be to this era's contender, what Afinogenov was to the Drury/Briere era... which was exciting, sometimes important, but at the end of the day... mostly just window dressing
Max had 61 points in 56 games during the 05-06 season when everyone said we were supposed to win the Cup.

That's "window dressing?"

Old
10-08-2011, 11:23 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

I love Myers/Regher as well. I think in a one goal third period you see them a lot more, but with a two goal lead Lindy feels comfortable enough to "save" the big pairing.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:53 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
Gerbe-Leino-Boyes
Ennis-Roy-Stafford
good idea

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:59 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
Max had 61 points in 56 games during the 05-06 season when everyone said we were supposed to win the Cup.

That's "window dressing?"
IIRC that's 06-07. In 05-06 he led the team in scoring.

e: 50 points for a rook is a great start. Reading disaster in the chicken guts from some common "young player problems" is a bit premature.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Kevbeau

Can't complain on 2 wins over the pond.

Anyone thinking we're seeing a kinder, gentler Kaleta? Not that it's necessarily a bad thing considering his past injury issues and Judge Shanny. He played great the past two games, but it seems like he's pulling up on some checking opportunities he'd normally finish in prevous yers.

Kevbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:17 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbeau View Post

Anyone thinking we're seeing a kinder, gentler Kaleta? Not that it's necessarily a bad thing considering his past injury issues and Judge Shanny. He played great the past two games, but it seems like he's pulling up on some checking opportunities he'd normally finish in prevous yers.
I think Kaleta is trying to reinvent himself. I think he and the coaches realize if he stays strictly a banger/agitator, he has a short NHL career. By evolving into a player with other skills (PK, zone puck possession with a little offense sprinkled in for good measure). He makes himself a more needed player on the team, plus his career will be much longer. He will still bang and agitate. He'll just dial it down from 10 to a 6. I like it. He's effective out there. I hope he stays healthier than last year.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 05:17 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I think Kaleta is trying to reinvent himself. I think he and the coaches realize if he stays strictly a banger/agitator, he has a short NHL career. By evolving into a player with other skills (PK, zone puck possession with a little offense sprinkled in for good measure). He makes himself a more needed player on the team, plus his career will be much longer. He will still bang and agitate. He'll just dial it down from 10 to a 6. I like it. He's effective out there. I hope he stays healthier than last year.
He had a textbook shot block on the PK yesterday that really made me appreciate him as a player. Generally, when he blocks shots, he's laying out in an out-of-desperation manner. On this particular play, though, he stayed in the shooting lane (he was the only sabre in the lane so the block was crucial), dropped to one knee, and made the block while maintaining good foot position. It really was a thing of beauty, and I think we cleared the zone right away. PK is a good player.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 06:08 AM
ceky

Good:

Vaneks kick pass out of the sabres zone to clear the puck... very smart and in general a very strong overall game. his assist to the first goal was beastly

Adam proofes that the sabres really know how to draft/develop prospects

sabres look very well rounded, 4 strong lines... sabres i believe are a very hard team to match up against

some great teamplay, a lot of sound defense and i still had the feeling they can be even better with more chemistry

win against a very strong team

bad:

(more subotimal) i thought roy looked timid... and a little too slow for my liking. i hope he just has to find his rhytm

too many open lanes for the kings shooters after positioning mistakes, some bad bounces would have made the game much closer

the great:

i was blown away mid-second period by the boardplay in our own zone:

Mccromick-Goose-Kaleta
Myers-Regher

... just dominated. huge bodies and lots of energy. i loved it.

go sabres!

ceky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Mags19

The good: Crashing the net like a pack of wild demons in the 2nd period.

Mags19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 06:43 AM
bernsy74

Even though he has put up solid scoring numbers, Luke Adam has failed to impress me thus far. Everyone has him in the "Good" category, but I don't thing he falls into any of them - just mediocre. He is horrible in the face off circle and he seems to panic when he does get the puck. He definatly has alot of promise, but in my opinion, does not fit in with his wingers and needs to spend some time on the fourth line working on some finer points of the game.

bernsy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 07:49 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsy74 View Post
Even though he has put up solid scoring numbers, Luke Adam has failed to impress me thus far. Everyone has him in the "Good" category, but I don't thing he falls into any of them - just mediocre. He is horrible in the face off circle and he seems to panic when he does get the puck. He definatly has alot of promise, but in my opinion, does not fit in with his wingers and needs to spend some time on the fourth line working on some finer points of the game.
He's 42.8% on faceoffs.

Leino is 38.5.

Last edited by joshjull: 10-09-2011 at 12:14 PM.
SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbeau View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
He had a textbook shot block on the PK yesterday that really made me appreciate him as a player. Generally, when he blocks shots, he's laying out in an out-of-desperation manner. On this particular play, though, he stayed in the shooting lane (he was the only sabre in the lane so the block was crucial), dropped to one knee, and made the block while maintaining good foot position. It really was a thing of beauty, and I think we cleared the zone right away. PK is a good player.
He's been a lot more in control and still playing a straight-ahead, honest 2-way game. I liked that after Stoll's lump on Ehrhoff, he dialed it up a little bit and rattled a couple of Kings with some solid jolts. But he's keeping himself lower when he finished those. Picking his spots, I'm sure he'll get less retaliation (and thus be in the lineup more) and if anything can be taken from the first two games and the post-whistle scrums, opponents still don't like him at all.

10-09-2011, 08:29 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Kaleta made one really slick play I noticed yesterday. He was streaking down the left, really pumping, and closing in on one of the LA defenseman. One of those plays where you just KNOW he's going to plow a guy, or go flying into the glass and put himself out of the play.

At the last second, he peeled off and just tapped the guy on the leg with his stick. Brilliant play. Just let him know he was there, but didn't bury him.

That gets players thinking 'will he or won't he' every time he's on the ice. As we all should know, a player who is thinking instead of reacting is at a disadvantage.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsy74 View Post

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote