HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cory Schneider

Old
10-08-2011, 05:57 PM
glasgow26

vCash: 500
Cory Schneider

I'm sure most of you would be in favor of keeping this kid, but if you were to deal him, what would you realistically be looking for in return? I'm writing an article on him and would love some input from some Canucks fans. Thanks!

glasgow26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

If we can't get a roster player and a solid pick then there's no point in moving him IMO

He's a great goalie and he pushes Luongo to be better while offering a very solid backup and he'll be an RFA after this year

It makes no sense to move him unless we get an upgrade in the top 9 as well as a pick.

More realistically, he'd be packaged with picks to get a very solid top 6 roster player.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:33 PM
serge2k

Can we give you Luongo instead?

I Seriously don't think they want to move Schneider right now. He played well last season and having a good backup is a nice luxury.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:44 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post

I Seriously don't think they want to move Schneider right now. He played well last season and having a good backup is a nice luxury.
No, we don't want to trade Luongo. It's nice having an elite goalie as our starter.

As for Schneider, I would love to get a gritty 1st/2nd line forward for him.

10-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Guardian452

Top 6 power forward who is just enterring the prime of his career. Pretty much will have to be a player who can help the team right now and will be a member of the team for the foreseeable future. No players near the end of their careers (e.g. Shane Doan, Daniel Alfredsson) Examples of players who fit this mold - Milan Lucic, David Backes, Andrew Ladd, Jamie Benn, Ryane Clowe

Guardian452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:49 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian452 View Post
Top 6 power forward who is just enterring the prime of his career. Pretty much will have to be a player who can help the team right now and will be a member of the team for the foreseeable future. No players near the end of their careers (e.g. Shane Doan, Daniel Alfredsson) Examples of players who fit this mold - Milan Lucic, David Backes, Andrew Ladd, Jamie Benn, Ryane Clowe
I'd love a guy like that too, but that is a pipe dream if Ive ever seen one.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
A first and a good young roster player is what it would take, reportedly.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 07:04 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I'd love a guy like that too, but that is a pipe dream if Ive ever seen one.
Given your moniker, I'd be careful with statements like this.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 07:06 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Shane Doan would be amazing for this team, I'd do that in seconds. We're not get a Lucic, Backes, Ladd, Benn or a Clowe type player unless we add much more.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 07:11 PM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

Quote:
If Jensen projects like he's expected to in the next couple years, then he's that guy

So instead, a young offensive PP defensman suits the Nucks better
Throw in one of Schroeder or Rodin if need be

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
If Jensen projects like he's expected to in the next couple years, then he's that guy

So instead, a young offensive PP defensman suits the Nucks better
Throw in one of Schroeder or Rodin if need be
It'd probably be Schroeder. Gillis is higher on Rodin and planned to take him with our 1st pick instead of Schroeder but when Schroeder dropped that far, Gillis took a risk and went with him planning to trade up to get Rodin if he needed to.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 07:23 PM
timw33

Needs to be a player who can help now, plays physically, and hopefully slot into a wing spot next to Kesler.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Catamarca Livin

I would trade him for a lottery pick. I like what philly and washington did. Trading prospects for salary does not make sense when you are a salary cap team. Last year i wanted him traded with raymond for top six player. Now i like the pick better.

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 07:50 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Given your moniker, I'd be careful with statements like this.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
haha. Never thought of it like that. LOL

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:54 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

If we could somehow pry Benn from the Stars for futures/tweeners only, we'd be making deep runs until the Sedins retired for sure.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Bleach Clean

Like Kickassguy mentioned, a mid to late 1st rndr and a good prospect. The young player targeted would likely be a right side, right shot offensive Dman or a bigger top-6 potential winger.

I still think the team best suited to acquire Schneider is New Jersey or perhaps Phoenix. Turris and Merrill being obvious targets. But that's a trade that would likely happen at the end of this season.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:17 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
I'm honestly not trying to be a spelling nazi, but if you're writing an article on him you will want to know his first name is "Cory".

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:28 PM
timw33

We don't need a 1st round pick back, we need someone who can help now, now 2-3 years into the future.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
We don't need a 1st round pick back, we need someone who can help now, now 2-3 years into the future.

A vet that can help now and not later would only compound the problems the Canucks have developing talent. No, the return must help now _AND_ into the future, just as Schneider would help the destined team now and into the future. A younger prospect could do that. An older player would play 1 or 2 years and make everyone regret the return after that.

IMO it is imperative the Canucks target younger talent with any deal involving Schneider. That is how consistent contenders are built.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:14 PM
biturbo19

There's no 'e' in Cory's name btw.

As for trading him...i'm not sure if it's worth doing this year unless we're getting back some serious firepower in return. Personally, i'm far from sold on Luongo, so obviously my perspective is swayed a bit...I think it's fair to give Luongo another shot at proving himself, but if he drops the ball...this organization is going to be in a tough situation. Having Schneider around at least gives them some of Plan B if they can find some sort of way out of the Luongo thing.

It could be a challenge to keep him around and under contract in the offseason though, even as an RFA...the potential for offersheets is a bit anxiety-inducing.

If he's going to be moved, i agree with others who say, 'big/gritty top-6 winger' or 'top-4 RH-shot offensive d-man' is the targeted return. Those are the only real holes to fill at the moment.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:16 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Like Kickassguy mentioned, a mid to late 1st rndr and a good prospect. The young player targeted would likely be a right side, right shot offensive Dman or a bigger top-6 potential winger.

I still think the team best suited to acquire Schneider is New Jersey or perhaps Phoenix. Turris and Merrill being obvious targets. But that's a trade that would likely happen at the end of this season.
Merrill is a big part of the reason i was upset about trading that 1st rounder for Ballard. Really wanted him for the Canucks pick. But that's said and done. Would still LOVE to add him to the organization, but i don't see any way NJD let him go at this point.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:00 AM
JonnyCash

From San Jose?

If MG were to do it - It would probably be:
Clowe
for
Schneider + 1st/Raymond (Depending on his health)

(or something like that)

JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:01 AM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
There's no 'e' in Cory's name btw.

As for trading him...i'm not sure if it's worth doing this year unless we're getting back some serious firepower in return. Personally, i'm far from sold on Luongo, so obviously my perspective is swayed a bit...I think it's fair to give Luongo another shot at proving himself, but if he drops the ball...this organization is going to be in a tough situation. Having Schneider around at least gives them some of Plan B if they can find some sort of way out of the Luongo thing.
It could be a challenge to keep him around and under contract in the offseason though, even as an RFA...the potential for offersheets is a bit anxiety-inducing.

If he's going to be moved, i agree with others who say, 'big/gritty top-6 winger' or 'top-4 RH-shot offensive d-man' is the targeted return. Those are the only real holes to fill at the moment.
What is the Luongo thing?
Are you one of these guys that thinks that with Kesler, Burrows, the Sedins and more playing at their prime, we should ditch a top 5 goalie in lieu of a guy with 25 reasonably soft games who hasn't really proven anything in the NHL?

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:55 AM
RandomRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
If we can't get a roster player and a solid pick then there's no point in moving him IMO

It makes no sense to move him unless we get an upgrade in the top 9 as well as a pick.

More realistically, he'd be packaged with picks to get a very solid top 6 roster player.
This I agree with 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
and he pushes Luongo to be better
This I don't agree with. I don't think the notion that a good backup goaltender pushes the starter to be better applies in this case. Not with Luongo here. I'm a huge Schneider fan and I too would have prefered him over Luongo long term based on character alone. But when it boils down to it, this is Luongo's team. It has always and will always be Luongo's team while he is here.. Until he gets old anyways.

With this in mind, I think Schneider offers us few positives and one big negative.

I'll start with the negative. He's a distraction. He provides controversy after controversy and you know how the media (and fans) love to go down that road. Who's really going to play that big game? The answer has to be Luongo. Luongo is good enough to win a championship and I think the doubt that creeps in from all of the controversy is the only thing holding him back. It's time to go all in and support Luongo. Unfortunately this town cannot do that with schneider still here. Plus we can definitely put together a package to get a great forward to help us when it counts.

On the positive side, schneider will provide the team with more wins and more points than any backup we could possibly find, but do we really need those points? Is 1st place in the west and home ice really worth the Controversy and doubt in the playoffs? Is anyone else sick of this? Other positives include the fact that he is a great team guy and is a winner. But again, when it comes down to it you know who will play the big game so what's the point? It's not fair to Schneider and it's certainly not fair to Luongo.

If I'm the Canucks i get the best of both worlds this season by playing Cory all year and make a deal at the deadline. Whoever ends up with him has a winner on their hands.

RandomRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:42 AM
Shimoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post

Gillis needs to move Schneider now while teams think that they can get him in their system and sign him before he tests the free agent market (and he will). Like it or not, Luongo is a Canuck until HE decides to retire...period. No team is going to take on a 5.3 million dollar cap hit for the next TEN YEARS. Even if there werent valid questions about his mental game, he is in his prime NOW. I am not saying Luongo isnt a great goalie, he is. But the contract that Gillis offered Luongo was, and still is, insane. I know Luongo's contract was front loaded, but that isn't the issue here, the cap hit is.

There are multiple teams that are going to offer Schneider 3-4 million for five years and the Canucks are not going to be able to match that. Schneider is not stupid. There is major interest in him throughout the league. Do you really think that he is going to take 1.2 million to sit on the bench behind a starting goalie that is signed for ten years.

Gillis was a fool not to trade him before last years draft when he could have gotten a number one for him. Now teams will just wait and romance him at the end of the season. If Gillis doesn't move on trading Schneider now, he is going to walk after this year and the Canucks will get nothing for him.

Shimoe is offline   Reply With Quote