HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cory Schneider

Old
10-09-2011, 03:52 AM
Hal 9000*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Can we give you Luongo instead?
I Seriously don't think they want to move Schneider right now. He played well last season and having a good backup is a nice luxury.
Hey, I have an idea! Lets trade Henrik and give Hodgson the first line center position.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Shareefruck

I would actually prefer to give Schneider every opportunity to show how good he can be compared to Luongo before trading him away, too, actually.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:47 PM
canucks1982

if the canucks are not able to get top 6 forward or a top 4 defensemen for Schneider. there is no point in trading him. some teams might offer a 1st pick. the 1st pick is not going to help the canucks this season. why not just keep Schneider on the roster as an insurance for luongo. also a good backup will help the team win the president trophy. Schneider was 16 4 2. 34 points for your backup. many teams don't have luxary to play their backup and don't see a drop off. A lot of teams when they play their backup. there like giving away points.

the best time to trade schneider is after the season and before 07/01/11. after 07/01/11 when he a rfa. team might offer a offer sheet for a few million dollar and compensation is a 2nd round pick. so better to trade him after the season and before 07/01/11 to you could get more assets and still keep on the roster until season ends

canucks1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:18 PM
big boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
If we could somehow pry Benn from the Stars for futures/tweeners only, we'd be making deep runs until the Sedins retired for sure.
Not a chance. Benn is seen as a future franchise player in Dallas.

big boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:35 PM
JerkChicken

vCash: 50
If Mason in Columbus keeps showing a mediocre performance between the pipes... I'd be willing to bet a few bucks that the best offer for Cory comes from them.

If the BJ's aren't going to trust Mason, realistically who else is out there? Combine that with the fact that Columbus' head coach Scott Arniel had Cory as his goalie with the Moose - so there's already a connection there - and this makes even more sense.

The only other teams I could see making a play for Schneider are Phoenix or Tampa. I suppose SJ could too, but with Niemi locked up - why would they?

If any trade offer doesn't include a top 6 forward / top 4 D-man AND a fairly high draft pick - I'd say hold onto Cory and wait for teams to get desperate around the deadline.

JerkChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:40 PM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian452 View Post
Top 6 power forward who is just enterring the prime of his career. Pretty much will have to be a player who can help the team right now and will be a member of the team for the foreseeable future. No players near the end of their careers (e.g. Shane Doan, Daniel Alfredsson) Examples of players who fit this mold - Milan Lucic, David Backes, Andrew Ladd, Jamie Benn, Ryane Clowe
and a pony!

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Catamarca Livin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
What is the Luongo thing?
Are you one of these guys that thinks that with Kesler, Burrows, the Sedins and more playing at their prime, we should ditch a top 5 goalie in lieu of a guy with 25 reasonably soft games who hasn't really proven anything in the NHL?
No need to insult Scheider to defend Lu. 25 soft start included wins in SJ Anaheim and Minny.

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 04:36 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
A vet that can help now and not later would only compound the problems the Canucks have developing talent. No, the return must help now _AND_ into the future, just as Schneider would help the destined team now and into the future. A younger prospect could do that. An older player would play 1 or 2 years and make everyone regret the return after that.

IMO it is imperative the Canucks target younger talent with any deal involving Schneider. That is how consistent contenders are built.
Agreed.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 05:28 PM
VanTampaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimoe View Post
Gillis needs to move Schneider now while teams think that they can get him in their system and sign him before he tests the free agent market (and he will). Like it or not, Luongo is a Canuck until HE decides to retire...period. No team is going to take on a 5.3 million dollar cap hit for the next TEN YEARS. Even if there werent valid questions about his mental game, he is in his prime NOW. I am not saying Luongo isnt a great goalie, he is. But the contract that Gillis offered Luongo was, and still is, insane. I know Luongo's contract was front loaded, but that isn't the issue here, the cap hit is.

There are multiple teams that are going to offer Schneider 3-4 million for five years and the Canucks are not going to be able to match that. Schneider is not stupid. There is major interest in him throughout the league. Do you really think that he is going to take 1.2 million to sit on the bench behind a starting goalie that is signed for ten years.

Gillis was a fool not to trade him before last years draft when he could have gotten a number one for him. Now teams will just wait and romance him at the end of the season. If Gillis doesn't move on trading Schneider now, he is going to walk after this year and the Canucks will get nothing for him.
He's an RFA at end of this year.

VanTampaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 05:39 PM
mossey3535

First of all, let's not even talk about Luongo in this situation.

Schneider appears to be a very talented goalie. The problem here is 'appears'. I really like the guy, but Nashville and San Jsoe have made a living out of trading goalies like him who then go on to have mediocre careers at best.

If we can't get an impact player right away, I really believe that a good first-rounder and a prospect would be great for Schneider.

We might have gotten lucky with Jensen but hopefully this franchise will only be picking in the bottom 20 of the first round for years to come. This would be a perfect way to get some young guns that we would never be able to draft otherwise.

I also feel that Cory is ripe to be traded due to demand, his perceived value and the fact that Lack seems very strong right now.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 06:02 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
A vet that can help now and not later would only compound the problems the Canucks have developing talent. No, the return must help now _AND_ into the future, just as Schneider would help the destined team now and into the future. A younger prospect could do that. An older player would play 1 or 2 years and make everyone regret the return after that.

IMO it is imperative the Canucks target younger talent with any deal involving Schneider. That is how consistent contenders are built.
I agree. Someone like Moreau or Doan would undoubtedly help short term, but we have put so much time into developing Schneider, we have to get a younger player who is still on an RFA contract and not going to be gone in 2 years.

The core veterans on our team are mostly between 28 and 33. We need some 22 or 23 year old talent.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Shimoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabee88 View Post
He's an RFA at end of this year.
Yes, which means the Canucks can match an offer. That is why I made the point that the Canucks will be unable to match what he is offered due to cap constraints. I did state that he will be gone at the end of this year and my hope is that Gillis will at least get something of value for him. The low end teams with Cap room will be able to just wait until July to hit him with a big long term contract. They won't be offering anything of value at this point. I think Gillis might be playing a high stakes game of chicken in hoping that a contender has serious goalie issues and will offer a valuable asset for their Cup run this year. But if that is the case, its a gamble.

Shimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:21 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimoe View Post
Yes, which means the Canucks can match an offer. That is why I made the point that the Canucks will be unable to match what he is offered due to cap constraints. I did state that he will be gone at the end of this year and my hope is that Gillis will at least get something of value for him. The low end teams with Cap room will be able to just wait until July to hit him with a big long term contract. They won't be offering anything of value at this point. I think Gillis might be playing a high stakes game of chicken in hoping that a contender has serious goalie issues and will offer a valuable asset for their Cup run this year. But if that is the case, its a gamble.
It's a gamble

1) if we keep him there is a chance he passes Luongo and that is good for us if we end up with him and move Lou (unlikely and all but still)

2) If teams are going to throw money then they are going to be in the 1st round pick + range anyway.

3) the fact Schneider could be offer sheeted if he is an RFA is more reason for buyers to get a Schneider deal done before Scheider becomes a RFA. Gillis might not want to lose him as an RFA but at least he gets picks, buyers get nothing unless they win the RFA bidding war. Buyers would be better off not taking that risk a paying a bit more to get him in a trade.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:32 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
It's a gamble

1) if we keep him there is a chance he passes Luongo and that is good for us if we end up with him and move Lou (unlikely and all but still)

2) If teams are going to throw money then they are going to be in the 1st round pick + range anyway.

3) the fact Schneider could be offer sheeted if he is an RFA is more reason for buyers to get a Schneider deal done before Scheider becomes a RFA. Gillis might not want to lose him as an RFA but at least he gets picks, buyers get nothing unless they win the RFA bidding war. Buyers would be better off not taking that risk a paying a bit more to get him in a trade.
Not necessarily. A $3.1 million deal would be awfully tough to match, but that's still only in 2nd round pick territory.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:34 PM
nuckfan insk

id look at moving him to columbus for johanson or dorsett plus a first. or to tampa for ashton +. if it were to say phoenix id want turris +
or wait and recieve rfa compensation for him after the season.

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:49 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
What is the Luongo thing?
Are you one of these guys that thinks that with Kesler, Burrows, the Sedins and more playing at their prime, we should ditch a top 5 goalie in lieu of a guy with 25 reasonably soft games who hasn't really proven anything in the NHL?
Pretty sure that's the thing. Im glad we have a sensible GM.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:28 AM
canucks1982

if canucks still have Schneider after july 1st and somebody gives an offersheet. the compensation is most likely a 2nd round pick. his value is more than a 2nd round pick. what if we match the offer and it's for 1yr. we can't trade him until a year later which he will become a ufa. that means canucks just a lost an asset

i say keep schneider until the season ends. trade schneider after the season and before july 1st. so you still have Schneider for the whole season and if we trade him after the season and before july 1st. You will mostly get more than a 2nd round pick

canucks1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:05 AM
Askel

Cant the Canucks take Cory to Arbitration to avoid offersheats?

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:58 AM
OldSchoolCupChamp

is starting tonight!

OldSchoolCupChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Hey, I have an idea! Lets trade Henrik and give Hodgson the first line center position.
That's not a similar situation at all.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
First of all, let's not even talk about Luongo in this situation.

Schneider appears to be a very talented goalie. The problem here is 'appears'. I really like the guy, but Nashville and San Jsoe have made a living out of trading goalies like him who then go on to have mediocre careers at best.
You mean like when they traded away Kiprusoff for a 2nd rounder? Toskala was pretty good too up until he started getting injured.

Nashville does not count, you put me in goal and I'd look good in Barry Trotz's system.

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:10 PM
JerkChicken

Hmmmm...Cory's starting tonight. IN COLUMBUS.

Showcase much?

JerkChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
That's not a similar situation at all.
It's exactly the same. Trade an established top 3-5 (league wide) guy in his position and replace him with a prospect who's been reasonably sheltered. My sarcastic proposal might even be better considering that you Luongo haters actually believe that no one could or would want him.

Schneider might be good, then again, he might be the next Raycroft, Lalime, or Boucher. He's worth a gamble for a lot of teams, but were certainly not giving up a an established top 3-5 goalie to take that chance. Luongo is a winner and if we can't win with him, we certainly can't win without him. Unless you believe Schneider would have got 3 or maybe 4 shutouts in the finals. Time to find another scapegoat people.

People need to stop getting manipulated by an anti-Vancouver media.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:46 PM
gsharpe

I atill cant believe people think Luongo lost us the finals.

He had two shutouts and yet peopld seem to think he didnt steal any games for us.

News flash: winning 1-0 is stealing a game!

/ Sorry for derailing.

Back on subject. I agree with a high first and a solid prospect. I'd like a tough forward prospect. What about Brett Connolly for Schneider straight up?

gsharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:32 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsharpe View Post
I atill cant believe people think Luongo lost us the finals.
Luongo was given a whopping five even strength goals to work with in the finals.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote