HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nedveds a Coyote

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2004, 04:55 PM
zamboni

vCash: 500
Not only is Ned a Coyote, but Langkow, an Oiler killer, comes to Calgary. Damnit, I wanted Lowe to go after Langkow, too. What a massive kick in the balls .

Good luck to Nedved in Pheonix. I'm very disappointed he's not returning, but he has the right to go where he feels is best for his career and family. Thanks for the short but effective stint here, Pete. You were a big part of our playoff drive.

In a way, I'm proud of Lowe. He stuck to 3.0 mil and refused to move higher. It's his responsibility now to adress our issue at centre.

Hopefully now Lowe can work on a nice long term deal for Smith, get Bergie locked up.

Old
NinjaSteve

Wow... this is crazy stuff here... I wasn't too mad about Nedved being a Coyote... but to see Langkow get traded to Calgary really hurts... ugh... now what do the Oilers do is the real question...

Old
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
phoenix didn't improve their lineup at all.

They added another soft centre (nedved, to go along with Comrie), and added a 5/6 defenceman in Gauthier, and yet another winger in Saprykin... they didn't add much there.

Then add to it, they gave up a darn good hockey player. Phoenix is worse now than they were 15 minutes ago.

edit:

That was a hell of a trade by Calgary though.
Thanks dawgbone, you've saved my typing fingers. :lol

IMO it just confirms what I've suspected:
* Sutter is clever.
* Barnett and Gretzky aren't.

I don't care about the Yotes signing Nedved. But the Langkow trade stings. It would sting less if it wasn't with Calgary. Freakin' ridiculous.

That PHX team is going to be bloody terrible ... but I bet they're going to be fun to watch.

Old
08-26-2004, 04:57 PM
Digger12

If Lowe's reponse to this is a press conference proclaiming that Adam Oates has come out of retirement, I'm gonna throw myself down some stairs... :mad:

Old
08-26-2004, 04:59 PM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
The Nedved to Phoenix part doesn't bother me as much as Lankow to Calgary does. Staios and Rita could have gotten us Lankow, a player I'd prefer over Nedved anyway...that's the killer.

Couldn't agree more. Calgary Sucks.

T

Old
08-26-2004, 05:00 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
If Lowe's reponse to this is a press conference proclaiming that Adam Oates has come out of retirement, I'm gonna throw myself down some stairs... :mad:
Adam Oates? Dont be silly...

Its time to bring out DOUG GILMOUR

Old
08-26-2004, 05:00 PM
igor*

Quote:

For Christmas sakes! Don't dare the hockey gods like that, Digger! :lol

Old
08-26-2004, 05:03 PM
zamboni

Well maybe Comrie and Nedved will become buds. Comrie can teach Nedved a thing or two about the real, communist Oilers. Maybe show Ned the room in his home devoted to his anti-Oilerism, full of Lowe voodoo dolls and Edmonton fan hate mail.

Old
Asiaoil

Quote:
He better pull something major because our competition is making themselves much better while we are sitting on our hands. You could see something was going to happen in Pheonix from a mile away - and losing Langkow to Calgary for comparative peanuts is a big kick in the balls.

Mr Lowe - you have some explaining to do.

Old
misfit

vCash: 50
DAMN!!! DAMN IT, DAMN IT, DAMN IT!!! WHAT THE CRAP!!!

Sorry guys, I'm at work so I can't freak out at my office. Had to let out the cyber-rage instead...still don't feel any better though. I need a stiff drink.

Old
08-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

**** you, too, Petr. :mad:

Old
08-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Wolfpack

Petr might want to keep a close eye on Veronika with MC around...

Old
08-26-2004, 05:30 PM
igor*

Barnett is on The Team right now.

He says its 3 years at a bit under $3M per year.

Started talking to Nedved a couple of days ago.

Initiated contact with Nedved after they agreed to the deal with Sutter. They were pursuing Gauthier, and when they realized that Sutter wanted Langkow to make that happen ... they pursued Petr.

Barnett used to be Petr's agent.

Old
08-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
:lol!

Old
08-26-2004, 05:39 PM
Jovo Cop

MC has already offered to let them crash at his pad ..till they find a place .

Old
08-26-2004, 05:42 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
I don't think Phoenix got better as a result of their day, but they have done a hell of a lot more than the Oilers to improve their club since missing the playoffs. To keep the Coyotes from getting too much better, Sutter was nice enough to fleece Barnett and make the gap between the Oil and their provincial rivals that much harder to swallow, and that much wider a chasm.

Since Paul Coffey left over 25k, I have had too much of this Oiler inflicted pain. Year after year, there is some indignity forced upon me that only Oiler fans can understand. And still I get that stupid euphoric hope every summer. Yes, Weight will get signed long term.... Lowe talking to the Flyers about Lindros?? Wow! Oh, no, Joseph resurrected his career here, he won't leave. And then when finally a gifted player comes from within, he turns out to be a crybaby who can't share his cereal at the same table as Kevin Lowe. So this summer, I convinced myself there was a real chance that K. Lowe would have learned his lesson about playing a year with Shawn Horcoff as the best center on his club. I was pretty confident that this would be the year that the free agent would be signed by my team, and things would for once be right in the universe.

So now Kevin Lowe, what are you going to do to bring back out the kid who used to cry when the Oilers got eliminated from the playoffs? Will I ever take a train to see the Oilers again, or fly outfor a playoff game? I don't really know right now, because I just swallowed another Oilers bitter pill. Is it the biggest one i ever had to choke back? No, of course not, but me old tummy is getting pretty full of em now, and I don't know if I can keep setting myself up to swallow more.

That's a pretty melodramatic rant, but I gotta tell you, this same old thing has gone on just too long. I hope Ryan Smyth doesn't have an oiler logo tattooed anywhere, cause I understand they're painful to get removed.

Old
08-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
I don't think Phoenix got better as a result of their day, but they have done a hell of a lot more than the Oilers to improve their club since missing the playoffs. To keep the Coyotes from getting too much better, Sutter was nice enough to fleece Barnett and make the gap between the Oil and their provincial rivals that much harder to swallow, and that much wider a chasm.

Since Paul Coffey left over 25k, I have had too much of this Oiler inflicted pain. Year after year, there is some indignity forced upon me that only Oiler fans can understand. And still I get that stupid euphoric hope every summer. Yes, Weight will get signed long term.... Lowe talking to the Flyers about Lindros?? Wow! Oh, no, Joseph resurrected his career here, he won't leave. And then when finally a gifted player comes from within, he turns out to be a crybaby who can't share his cereal at the same table as Kevin Lowe. So this summer, I convinced myself there was a real chance that K. Lowe would have learned his lesson about playing a year with Shawn Horcoff as the best center on his club. I was pretty confident that this would be the year that the free agent would be signed by my team, and things would for once be right in the universe.

So now Kevin Lowe, what are you going to do to bring back out the kid who used to cry when the Oilers got eliminated from the playoffs? Will I ever take a train to see the Oilers again, or fly outfor a playoff game? I don't really know right now, because I just swallowed another Oilers bitter pill. Is it the biggest one i ever had to choke back? No, of course not, but me old tummy is getting pretty full of em now, and I don't know if I can keep setting myself up to swallow more.

That's a pretty melodramatic rant, but I gotta tell you, this same old thing has gone on just too long. I hope Ryan Smyth doesn't have an oiler logo tattooed anywhere, cause I understand they're painful to get removed.
Great post - pretty much sums up the way I feel today too.

Old
08-26-2004, 05:45 PM
copperandblue

Like many here, my first reaction was more so about Calgary getting Lankow but the more I think about it the less worried I am.

Recap of Calgary's summer;

Conroy signs elsewhere for 3.1 mil
Calgary signs Weimer
Lets Oliwa walk
Sutter is forced to pony up 2 mil more for Kipper
trades for Lankow at 2.95 mil (200k less than Conroy who was supposed to be too much?)
giving up Gauthier and Saprykin

Not signed is Iginla and Phaneuf

Sooooooo,

Out - Conroy, Oliwa, Saprykin, Gauthier
In - Lankow, Weimer

Did they really get better?

Langkow is pretty much a wash for Conroy

If Phaneuf isn't ready then their Defence just got worse

There isn't even a spot for Weimer at this point

Oliwa is no big loss but Saprykin was turning into a servicable player

I don't know, on further review, I think this deal isnt all that impacting on Edmonton. It was simply a move to get Calgary closer to where they were at the end of the year.

Old
08-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovo Cop
MC has already offered to let them crash at his pad ..till they find a place .
:lol Anything to get a look at the woman.

Old
08-26-2004, 05:51 PM
dem

Apparently he signed for less than 3 a year...

LOWE YOU DUMBASS :mad:

Old
08-26-2004, 05:51 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
I can't express how *&%$#%&**%^$ing disgusted I am right now. If KL doesn't have something spectacular up his sleeve to make up for this, then I'm officially off the bandwagon. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Old
08-26-2004, 05:54 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Apparently he signed for less than 3 a year...

Maybe that says more about Nedved then.

Most of the stuff I was hearing is that Lowe was in that exact same ball park as well and Nedved was looking for MORE than 3 to stay here.

Old
08-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
Out - Conroy, Oliwa, Saprykin, Gauthier
In - Lankow, Weimer

Did they really get better?
Well Calgary was a Stanley Cup finalist, one might argue they don't need to improve themselves that much but I know you Oilers fans wouldn't agree

Just a couple points to add.

1. Byron Ritchie was also added as a depth centre (4th line centre, maybe spare forward.)
2. Lombardi (future 2nd line centre) missed a fair chunk of the playoffs so he's an addition if he's healthy
3. Reinprecht missed the entire playoffs, another addition, likely our #1 centre even with Langkow added, he's more purely skilled than Daymond
4. We'll get full years (assuming they're healthy) out of deadline acquisition Nilson and Simon along with Nieminen and Kiprusoff who didn't play the whole year with us.

Oliwa obviously isn't a huge loss.

So I guess it depends what version of the Flames you're trying to say isn't improved. If we're healthy the team is obviously better than the one that was in the cup finals. If you're talking start of last year again, obviously more depth. If you're talking last years team but ignoring the injuries then we never really saw that team so we don't know how good that team was.

As for Gauthier he was arguably 6th on the depth chart with Ference's solid showing in the playoffs (forced to play top 4 but will probably be our #5 guy next year.) Personally (and I've been saying this for a while now if you want to research it) I don't think that Montador and Commodore are that far behind Gauthier at all. Both are young and improving. They'll likely be our #6 and #7 guys. Phaneuf is likely ready IMO but we're not counting on him. Leo and Regehr are young and improving as well. Don't really see how the defense is any worse off.

Old
08-26-2004, 05:58 PM
oiler4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
LoL

Old
08-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
If Phaneuf isn't ready then their Defence just got worse

There isn't even a spot for Weimer at this point

Oliwa is no big loss but Saprykin was turning into a servicable player

I don't know, on further review, I think this deal isnt all that impacting on Edmonton. It was simply a move to get Calgary closer to where they were at the end of the year.
Phaneuf is ready. I'd trade Brewer and Smith straight up for him.

As for the Flames, remember that Reinprecht and Gautier were both hurt in the playoffs. They are infinitely better on paper than the Oilers right now. So are the Coyotes. Fortunately the Coyotes are as weak in goal as we are. Sigh...

So any bets on the next Dopita? I can't wait to see Kevin Lowes brilliant solution. I think he's really screwed if he has to trade. We will lose something of value, definately a top 6 forward or top 3 defenseman to land a LEGITIMATE no.1 centerman. Lowe did a horrible job last year. He sat on his thumbs while Salo took this team to the gutter. He signed Oates to replace Comrie, what a joke. Well at least he had his day in the sun in November when he relived past glory. Maybe he's more concerned with the past than the present and future (MacT and Simpson anyone).

I think you'd have to be nuts to see this team as it stands being capable of making the playoffs this year (or whenever). From my perspective it looks like were heading into another "rebuilding" phase. I'm starting to think tanking for Crosby wouldn't be such a bad idea. Management seems incapable of getting a star to commit to this team.

There is nothing wrong with being upset as a fan at this point. Kevin Lowe will have to pull a rabbit out of a hat to redeem himself. The saddest thing might be that Nedved wasn't really considering Edmonton. It's a slight against our city, a reality of his family life, and doesn't bring optimism.

Closed Thread