HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Betts sent back to Philly - Failed Physical

Old
10-09-2011, 12:26 PM
NewEraGM

vCash: 500
wowwww. it never ends....

NewEraGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Andy says no one takes me seriously on this fan board.

Again, I'm crushed.
It's not my problem, it's yours. I don't have to spend 2000 of my 3000 posts justifying why I act stupid. If you enjoy people calling you out on stupidity after every single post you make, that's your problem, though it's a pretty pathetic problem and childish one especially for an older poster.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Et le But

When you do nothing but criticize everything the management does, no matter how petty or how common it is in the league, and try to dramatize every minor event, yes, you are a troll. When you offer nothing to the discussion but hysterics and hyperbole, that's trolling.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
He loves to roll 4 lines, and he would surely prefer to have Betts and Moen (Or like before, Pyatt and Moen) killing penalties than Pleks who is exhausted when playoffs arrive.
Martin never rolls 4 lines. Never ever. Every line is matched against an opponent's line and the top lines get way more ice time then the bottom ones. Did you get bumped on the head and confuse Martin with Carboneau?

Penalty killing would be the reason Betts was brought in but that's not necessarily the province of the 4th line center in Montreal's system either. The players that are good penalty killers get that job, be they the team's best overall forward in Plekanec or a weaker one like Moen. If they have to use Engqvist as the 4th and he isn't good on penalty kills then expect Gomez to get that job, he's pretty good at it actually.

Last edited by Talks to Goalposts: 10-09-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:29 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It's not my problem, it's yours. I don't have to spend 2000 of my 3000 posts justifying why I act stupid. If you enjoy people calling you out on stupidity after every single post you make, that's your problem.
Could not care any less what people who spend all day on message/fan boards think.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
I hope ol' Engqvist gets a shot now.

I think all he needs is some confidence and some time in the big leagues and he'll be a more than serviceable 4th liner. He already has some speed, he's very good defensively and he works hard, He just needs to play more physically and be more competent offensively and he'll be a good player.

Give him some time folks! Besides, what harm can he do playing 5 minutes a night anyway.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Andy

Quote:
Could not care any less what people who spend all day on message/fan boards think.
Then why come here if you don't care what others have to say. Talk to yourself and do us a favor and stop sharing your opinion.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:32 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Then why do you keep responding to him claiming how much you don't care?

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:36 PM
neofury*

Please just go get Glen Metropolit. At this point I don't want us giving up assets for a 4th line plug.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:37 PM
phoque taupe

Betts wouldnt have been the savior we are waiting for anyway.

Honestly, i think its funny everything happening lately, but im not pressing the panic button.

It just sucks, that something as trivial as taking face-offs, is holding us backward.

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:37 PM
izzy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Once again the reactions are funnier than the actuality.
Here's what's happening:

The "it's only pre-season" defense is slowly eroding as:

1. Montreal loses to Toronto (a team that will get much better in a few weeks, and has won their first two games)

2. the meaning of early season trades sinks in... we're simply an average (perhaps with Markov in the line up) to below average (currently) team.

Small, lack of scoring and no grit. Our identity:

1. Nice and soft
2. Social media savvy (judging by all the tweets i.e. Cam, PK, etc)

izzy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Please just go get Glen Metropolit. At this point I don't want us giving up assets for a 4th line plug.
John Madden.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:39 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
This is not a 1st line winger we're talking about, we're talking about a 4th line center. It was clear that they had the intentions of giving that spot to Engqvist, but he failed. Had they signed a 4th line center, that would have meant the end of Engqvist's chances. Then we would have had posts complaining about our GM always signs vets and doesn't give the chance to young players in our system to prove themselves and that after we trade them away from nothing. It's an endless cycle of whinning.

There's no reason to blame anyone in this case...Gauthier picked up a guy that filled a hole. He didn't have access to injury info because he can't do physicals to players on other teams. Second, why would Holmgren tell Gauthier that Betts was injured since doing so would be admittal of Holmgren to breaking the rules since it's illegal to put an injured player on waivers.

Basically, we're looking for littlest thing to whine about management. You guys are praising Burke for doing the same thing, waiting until the last minute to get a 4th line center...and he had to give up an asset to do so. Gauthier did the same as him at the same time, without giving an asset and he's an idiot.
I don't think PG is an idiot but IMHO insufficient attention was given to the 4th line. (and the backup goalie but that's another story) We knew we needed a center, we should have known we needed a tough one who could do PK duty and maybe drop the gloves. We had cap space and we had time. But we dragged our feet then the last-minute grab failed, and now we have Moen-Engqvist-Weber. I am not impress. Yes there are excuses but this happened on PG's watch he's responsible.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:40 PM
PlayMistyForMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I think Pleks performs just as well in the playoffs as he usually does, he just focusses on other things, like defense. I think people are too focussed on straight point production (not that Pleks' really takes a significant dip when you really look at it).

And I think Cammy doesn't get ridiculous numbers of playoff goals playing on his wing completely by accident, either.
Pleks plays well defensively in the playoffs. No doubt. But he has been our top scorer in the regular season for the past two years, and considering that Montreal is somewhat offensively challenged, having sub-par offensive performances from our top scorer in the playoffs hurts our chances. As for Cammy, he has twice as many points as Pleks in the playoffs in the past two years, so I guess he was not relying on Pleks as much as one would think.

PlayMistyForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:41 PM
izzy75

Quote:
amandacstein Amanda Stein
My apologies, that should read Betts already on PLANE back to Philly from Montreal.
Mother ********r... there goes the cup

Old
10-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Take your pissing matches to PM. They have no place here.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Gary320

Renaud Lavoie says.
Blair Betts n'a pas été renvoyé aux #flyers puisqu'il a été réclamé au ballottage blessé. Reste que #canadiens étudient cette possibilité.

Betts wasnt sent back to the Flyers. But since he was claimed injured on the waivers, Canadiens are studied this possibility.

So I would believe Lavoie over TSN Radio.... but this case is freaking strange.

So.. in short. HE WASNT SENT BACK.. but the Canadiens are thinking of doing it.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:44 PM
izzy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
insufficient attention was given to the 4th line.
And you'd justify the zero goals scored against Toronto via????

Or how about our piss poor record of 5 on 5 hockey?

How much more evidence do we need that we are not a powerhouse offensive threat?

Old
10-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Celtic Cross

John Madden is exactly what I had been thinking. Or even yes former hab Steve Begin bot can play mentor/PK role on 3rd/4th line. Madden could even make push for 2nd line, although unlikely.

John Madden is the most attractive possibility we possibly could have

Celtic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:47 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I hope ol' Engqvist gets a shot now.

I think all he needs is some confidence and some time in the big leagues and he'll be a more than serviceable 4th liner. He already has some speed, he's very good defensively and he works hard, He just needs to play more physically and be more competent offensively and he'll be a good player.

Give him some time folks! Besides, what harm can he do playing 5 minutes a night anyway.
Honest question: How hard can it be to make your game more physical? When you approach the guy with the puck, don't stop, ram instead.

If I were JM I'd spell it out for Engqvist: You have a shot at a regular spot on hockey's most glorious franchise. If you grind and hit you can stay. If not, my boss will probably go out and sign John Madden, who is 15 years older, 10 pounds lighter, and six inches shorter than you. What you think, Andreas, can you ramp up the physical aspect of your game?

Old
10-09-2011, 12:48 PM
shello
@WShello9

Madden said it's Minnesota or retirement. I beleive I read that in june. Hope I'm wrong since I'm a big fan of his.

Last edited by shello: 10-09-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Forgot to put something in.
shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:49 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy75 View Post
And you'd justify the zero goals scored against Toronto via????

Or how about our piss poor record of 5 on 5 hockey?

How much more evidence do we need that we are not a powerhouse offensive threat?
That's another issue.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Madden said it's Minnesota or retirement. I beleive I read that in june. Hope I'm wrong since I'm a big fan of his.
I read that right now. Lets hope he changed his mind.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:52 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I don't think PG is an idiot but IMHO insufficient attention was given to the 4th line.
Like I said in another thread, if your player development network failed to produce a regular 4th liner any year, I think there is a problem.

I mean, Habs weren't even able to develop a Pyatt? A Betts?

I bet PG is surprised how little the guys brought into the camp (I'm talking about Engvist and Palushaj, mainly).

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Celtic Cross

John Madden
Chris Clark
J.P Dumont

These three are all available, who would you be more interested in signing and think would have most impact, I might just say Chris Clark out of these 3 options if the Madden Wild/Retirement is true

Celtic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote