HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Betts sent back to Philly - Failed Physical

Old
10-09-2011, 12:53 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I hope ol' Engqvist gets a shot now.

I think all he needs is some confidence and some time in the big leagues and he'll be a more than serviceable 4th liner. He already has some speed, he's very good defensively and he works hard, He just needs to play more physically and be more competent offensively and he'll be a good player.

Give him some time folks! Besides, what harm can he do playing 5 minutes a night anyway.
I have to agree, give the kid a chance. He has barely even played for the club and people are writing him off.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I hope ol' Engqvist gets a shot now.

I think all he needs is some confidence and some time in the big leagues and he'll be a more than serviceable 4th liner. He already has some speed, he's very good defensively and he works hard, He just needs to play more physically and be more competent offensively and he'll be a good player.

Give him some time folks! Besides, what harm can he do playing 5 minutes a night anyway.
For all the hate he gets Engqvist didn't have a bad game against the Leafs, the funny thing is he has the potential to be a Betts type of player.

The only thing I have against him is that experience matters for this kind of role.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:56 PM
PlayMistyForMe

You have to understand that Betts is the kind of player that most teams would like to have on their roster, yet for Montreal to pick him off waivers, more than half the teams in the league passed up on this opportunity... Obviously, many GMs thought that his two busted shoulders made Betts a liability.

I prefer to see a healthy Engqvist maybe progress in his fourth line center role, than having a battered Betts struggle through his injuries as the season progresses.

PlayMistyForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I think Pleks performs just as well in the playoffs as he usually does, he just focusses on other things, like defense. I think people are too focussed on straight point production (not that Pleks' really takes a significant dip when you really look at it).

And I think Cammy doesn't get ridiculous numbers of playoff goals playing on his wing completely by accident, either.
Plekanec even said it himself in an interview, that in the POs, his defensive duties become more important and he focuses on shutting down the opponents' top line more.

As for Betts, can't believe some people actually turn it into a big thing. Even more crazy, some decide to fault management for it. Goes to show you just how many people just love to hate management.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Gauthier'management is very short-sighted. He is just fixing the pot holes, giving away young players and good second-round picks.
Ok, the first second round pick was used to get Moore to close a big hole at the third line center position left by the previous management. Moor helped us to make playoffs and was an integral part of the team that went to ECF.
And you really complain about the second rounder traded for the Wiz, don't you? Wiz ended up top five in scoring among the league's D-men and made a big impact for the habs. By comparission, Boston gave up a first round pick and a first round prospect(Joe Colborne) for Kamberle who was a bust there.

Which young players did PG give away? Are you talking about SK? He had no trade value cause of his personality problems. I think we got a good return for D'Ago - Paluhaj would likely be in the NHL if not for the Habs' depth at forward.
Or maybe you don't like the return we got for O'Byrne, do you? Did you see Bournival play in preseason. He was better than many pros in the camp, including NHL exprienced players. And leads the Q in goals per game by a wide margin so far.

Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Celtic Cross

because Engvquist is a light hitter and dodges hits more then he dishes, skates quickly but has bad positioning. Only reason hes got a shot is his 6'4" frame he needs to start using it otherwise we need a trade for a player or even 2 with size, that can hit, drop gloves here and there, and is a tweener on a team he would be a starter on the habs bottom six,

Paul Bissonette Biznasty would be ideal but just signed new deal with yotes.

Lets name some names habs could pry away and put on the bottom 6 from other teams.

First name ill suggest thats possibility is

Eric Christianssen

Celtic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:03 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Cross View Post
because Engvquist is a light hitter and dodges hits more then he dishes, skates quickly but has bad positioning. Only reason hes got a shot is his 6'4" frame he needs to start using it otherwise we need a trade for a player or even 2 with size, that can hit, drop gloves here and there, and is a tweener on a team he would be a starter on the habs bottom six,

Paul Bissonette Biznasty would be ideal but just signed new deal with yotes.

Lets name some names habs could pry away and put on the bottom 6 from other teams.

First name ill suggest thats possibility is

Eric Christianssen
Those two players are not what the Habs need...

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Aurel Joliat

Why not Brian Sutherby ?

An other defensive center with much more toughness than Betts. He is still UFA.

Great guy in the locker room, former first round pick

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Gary320

So Brian Widle from CTV says that Bob McKenzie confirmed that Habs have sent Betts back to Flyers. The claim was reversed. However, I don't think Bob tweeted it.

Either way. Guess this is CONFIRMED.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:08 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377754

ok wait now, i don't get it. it says he's going back to philly, but his quote says "I hope that I'll be in the lineup in winnipeg"

whaddup

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377754

ok wait now, i don't get it. it says he's going back to philly, but his quote says "I hope that I'll be in the lineup in winnipeg"

whaddup
Read before the quote. It says last week, meaning they're quoting him saying his shoulder's fine.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

What a crappy start of season

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Andy

So the Flyers are officially once again over the cap. Curious to see their next move. Holmgren has to be or must have one of the worst cap management team in the nhl. He's been caught multiple times ****ing up ****.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Gary320

Confirmed by everyone now.

Flyers 51 players on contract.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Those two players are not what the Habs need...
WE NEED GOONS DUH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
So the Flyers are officially once again over the cap. Curious to see their next move. Holmgren has to be or must have one of the worst cap management team in the nhl. He's been caught multiple times ****ing up ****.
According to some posters here (who shall rename nameless), Holmgren's ineptitude at managing the cap proves he has "balls".

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-09-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: merged
Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:21 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy75 View Post
Here's what's happening:

The "it's only pre-season" defense is slowly eroding as:

1. Montreal loses to Toronto (a team that will get much better in a few weeks, and has won their first two games)

2. the meaning of early season trades sinks in... we're simply an average (perhaps with Markov in the line up) to below average (currently) team.

Small, lack of scoring and no grit. Our identity:

1. Nice and soft
2. Social media savvy (judging by all the tweets i.e. Cam, PK, etc)
I am so tired of whiny posts like this. Don't you feel as you write your silly post that it just feels so damn cliche and so whiny? And you don't even justify any of your points.

Let me provide some stats for you:

Montreal's average height was 72.9 inches last season. League average was 73.3. Add players like Cole, Engqvist and Emelin to our roster this season and we are significantly taller.

Montreal's average weight last season was 204.9 pounds, while league average was 204.6. We were heavier than the average team last year, and again we add players like Cole and Emelin and we are even heavier.

That stupid argument of us being small in height and weight is so annoying and completely wrong. Sure, we are shorter than the average team, but not by that much. It's not a big deal at all, and just because we don't have a useless fighter on our team it doesn't mean we are soft.

I find it pathetic that you also claim we are below average right now when this team went to the Eatern Conference finals two seasons ago and lost out to the eventual Stanley Cup Champions last season in the playoffs in game 7. Get a grip and stop making baseless claims.

EDIT: Source https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_GB#gid=0

Last edited by JohnLennon: 10-09-2011 at 01:35 PM.
JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
I am so tired of whiny posts like this. Don't you feel as you write your silly post that it just feels so damn cliche and so whiny? And you don't even justify any of your points.

Let me provide some stats for you:

Montreal's average height was 72.9 last season. League average was 73.3. Add players like Cole and Emelin to our roster this season and we are significantly taller.

Montreal's average weight last season was 204.9 pounds, while league average was 204.6. We were heavier than the average team last year, and again we add players like Cole and Emelin and we are even heavier.

That stupid argument of us being small in height and weight is so annoying and completely wrong. Sure, we are shorter than the average team, but not by that much. It's not a big deal at all, and just because we don't have a useless fighter on our team it doesn't mean we are soft.

I find it pathetic that you also claim we are below average right now when this team went to the Eatern Conference finals two seasons ago and lost out to the eventual Stanley Cup Champions last season in the playoffs in game 7. Get a grip and stop making baseless claims.

EDIT: Source https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_GB#gid=0
You add Cole and Emelin, but you forget Pouliot and Hamrlik who are gone...

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Clumsyhab

Betts gone not that big of a deal since Eller should be back this Thursday.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:24 PM
CGG

Can the Habs pull back Woywitka now just for fun? After all, he had to go away just because they claimed Betts and needed a roster spot. Would be nice to screw over the Rangers a bit too out of this whole mess.

Anyone whining about a 4th line centre, remember the Habs have 4 pretty good centers in Pleks-Gomez-Eller-Desharnais. The theory is Desharnais will move to LW, but Martin still had Enqvist and White to fight for 4th line C. Except White is hurt, Eller is hurt, so now all of a sudden it looks like PG is an idiot? I don't think so.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:27 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Then the difference would be negligible.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:28 PM
gusfring

No problem. Philly will bury M Walker in the minors. 1.7 mill off the cap. He already cleared.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:30 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
No problem. Philly will bury M Walker in the minors. 1.7 mill off the cap. He already cleared.
It's not a cap problem, it's a contract one. They're at 51 contracts with Betts.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:32 PM
gusfring

Quote:
It's not a cap problem, it's a contract one. They're at 51 contracts with Betts.
Pretty sure they'll be fine...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:32 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Pouliot was below average in weight with 199 and about the same height as Cole. Meaning Cole makes our team bigger at 205 pounds. Hamrlik is 6'2 and 206 pounds, while Emelin is 6'2 and 223 pounds, making our team even bigger. Both are above league average in height also, so they certainly didn't hurt.

I didn't forget them, I just didn't think it was necessary to point out every little fact for people instead of them being able to do a little research on their own.

Last edited by JohnLennon: 10-09-2011 at 01:38 PM.
JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
For sure but they have some very interesting players, if they decide to move one I don't think they will have much of a problem

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote