HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Padding in helmet

Old
09-29-2011, 04:51 PM
OpenIceHit42

vCash: 500
Padding in helmet

I've got an RBK 8k helmet that I've had for about a year now and some of the padding is starting to come unglued and peeling back a little bit. Is there anything out there that someone can recommend besides super glue to keep the padding from falling out?

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 05:31 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
I've got an RBK 8k helmet that I've had for about a year now and some of the padding is starting to come unglued and peeling back a little bit. Is there anything out there that someone can recommend besides super glue to keep the padding from falling out?
on another board, it was mentioned by one of the owners that liquid nails (for small jobs) is a good choice.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 06:26 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
on another board, it was mentioned by one of the owners that liquid nails (for small jobs) is a good choice.
I've used Liquid Nails before, but not their "small projects" product, I used their "home repairs" product. Haven't used it for this specific purpose, but has generally worked great for me for plastics in general.

I had the same problem with a CCM V10 helmet, but it happened right after I bought it and the store just gave me a new one (which has held up), so never tried to repair it myself. Rbk/CCM (same company) make nice helmets, but they really gotta improve the glue they use, it blows.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:07 PM
mhkehoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I've used Liquid Nails before, but not their "small projects" product, I used their "home repairs" product. Haven't used it for this specific purpose, but has generally worked great for me for plastics in general.

I had the same problem with a CCM V10 helmet, but it happened right after I bought it and the store just gave me a new one (which has held up), so never tried to repair it myself. Rbk/CCM (same company) make nice helmets, but they really gotta improve the glue they use, it blows.
Yep, the rear pad in my 6K has always been a little loose (doesn't seem like they applied the glue very far out from the center. I have had it for about a year, and it still hasn't fallen off but it is likely a matter of time.

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:13 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
My M11 just uses staples... o.O

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:14 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post

yeah, had issues with my 6k and ended up getting rid of it in favor of a bauer 5100 for the vn, which surprisingly fit my head well.
but to be fair, i saw the same issues with a few bauer 9900's in a lhs that were brand new.

if i'd have known about the liquid nails thing back then, i'd probably still have my 6k.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would just use cheap super glue...used some last week to glue some foam to plastic for an electronic drum trigger and it's held up really well considering I'm beating on it with a drumstick.

Almost every helmet I've had the padding comes unglued at some point. Theoretically you're supposed to replace it every few years, but you could re-glue if it falls off early. So long as the foam's in good shape you'll be fine.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Stickmata

Gorilla glue. I use it for everything I glue and the stuff's amazing. I've used it to add padding to existing helmets that had gaps as well. Follow the instructions to the letter though.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:46 PM
CGNY87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Gorilla glue. I use it for everything I glue and the stuff's amazing. I've used it to add padding to existing helmets that had gaps as well. Follow the instructions to the letter though.
Gotta watch out for that stuff tho. If you put too much on it will expand like crazy. Based on the amount of expansion even on small amounts, I would try to find something else

CGNY87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGNY87 View Post
Gotta watch out for that stuff tho. If you put too much on it will expand like crazy. Based on the amount of expansion even on small amounts, I would try to find something else
Yup. You gotta follow the instructions exactly. If you just slap it on like Elmer's it makes a mess and doesn't hold well either. I've used it for all sorts of stuff and it holds like a weld if you do it right.

I always add a little padding to my helmets to customize the fit and it works great for that.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:41 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I just use super glue.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:30 PM
mfd1068

Contact Cement. Works very well,waterproof as well.

mfd1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 06:18 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

My 4 year old 8K is in perfect condition inside... Guess I must be the only one then!

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote