HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Mason the answer? (All goaltending suggestions/solutions here)

View Poll Results: Is Mason the Answer?
Yes- Stick With Mason 61 34.27%
No- Trade him and get what we can 117 65.73%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-09-2011, 12:21 PM
alphafox

vCash: 500
Is Mason the answer? (All goaltending suggestions/solutions here)

Hi everyone,

First I would like to state that this is not meant to be a doom and gloom post. Looking at the games at the beginning of the season mason has not looked good (much of which is due to a god-awful defensive performance) but the potential is still there. Do you guys think he is the answer in goal for the future as we try to win a cup in 3 years (My guess for when we make a deep playoff run) or should we be looking to package him for defensive help and look for our goalie elsewhere?

alphafox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Voted yes, but will add to that:

We should stick with Mason, as he's only 23 years old and has obvious talent. However, for the immediate future, what the kid needs is a mentor. Someone to come in and play the bulk of the games while helping Mase round into the professional athlete that he's capable of being.

I think if we trade him now, the return is going to be **** and we'll all kick ourselves if he ever does pan out.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:44 PM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

If Mason is the answer, it must have been a stupid question! Just kidding. I don't think we have given Clark enough time to see what he can accomplish with Mase. Mase looked good in preseason, had what I would consider a couple of average games. He didn't stink but wasn't gee-wiz either. If our defense would keep shots to the outside, start clearing the crease, and quit letting shooters get behind them, Mase would be fine. Too early for this poll IMO. Check back mid-season.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
fox2usp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Agree with the two previous posts.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:13 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Is he the answer? Maybe, but it's still too early to tell. As foxy said, we should give Mason and Clark more time to see if they can work it out.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:13 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Live and die

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:16 PM
FANonymous

Depends on what the question is...

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:22 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I mistook I wanted to poll for stick mason and not for this can someone correct it? thanks.

IMO give him a chance... still... but this year would be his last chance here.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
He hasn't just been bad the last 2 games, he's been bad the last 2 years PLUS the last 2 games.

Time for him to go. We won't be a playoff team with Steve Mason as the starter.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:29 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

I think the Jackets should have and very well may have signed a goaltender that can be a #1, when they signed Dekanich. I suspect Mason can become a very good goalie in the coming years, I'm not sure it's smart for Howson to bet so many chips on him at this time.

What makes me a bit nervous is that Dekanich has no track record, but we have lots of posts where people are begging for or demanding Schneider, who is barely more proven than Dekanich.

I would have liked to see Howson sign an older fringe #1 type- Giguere or Nabakov or one of the guys who seem to play musical chairs annually. An even better answer would be a defense like Detroit, Nashville or Philly, but that's probably not reasonable to achieve in one or two years. It looks like Burke did it in 3.5 though.

For those reasons I didn't vote at all. There are more options than yes or no.

Mason could be the answer in 2-3 years, but perhaps not the answer this season.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:36 PM
BluejacketNut

Considering Mason has looked like the Mason of the last 2 years so far, it needs to be considered.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:39 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I think the Jackets should have and very well may have signed a goaltender that can be a #1, when they signed Dekanich. I suspect Mason can become a very good goalie in the coming years, I'm not sure it's smart for Howson to bet so many chips on him at this time.

What makes me a bit nervous is that Dekanich has no track record, but we have lots of posts where people are begging for or demanding Schneider, who is barely more proven than Dekanich.

I would have liked to see Howson sign an older fringe #1 type- Giguere or Nabakov or one of the guys who seem to play musical chairs annually. An even better answer would be a defense like Detroit, Nashville or Philly, but that's probably not reasonable to achieve in one or two years. It looks like Burke did it in 3.5 though.

For those reasons I didn't vote at all. There are more options than yes or no.

Mason could be the answer in 2-3 years, but perhaps not the answer this season.
Schneider would be getting for some price, Dekanich was free... it is difference. And if we had to sacrife players not for g-men without experiences.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:49 PM
alphafox

By the way I just wanted to clarify that if we traded Mason I would like to see it as part of a package for a #1 d-man. I posted a proposal for yandle in the trade forum, it should be getting flamed right about now.

alphafox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:57 PM
jacketsinDC

i don't think this is about mason, who has stopped the easy shots so far but not stepped up and stolen goals yet. he's getting victimized because of our defense

we need to look into trading an asset (center, pick, or prospect) for a number 2 or 3 D-man, who can allow our subpair currently-signed D-men to be paired where they actually belong.

we should go out and get someone like luke schenn. sorry, but the 'logjam at center' problem looks pretty foolish since we can't get the puck out of our own zone.
its not about losing two games, its about getting taken out behind the shed and whooped by non-contenders in our own division.

jacketsinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:21 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
By the way I just wanted to clarify that if we traded Mason I would like to see it as part of a package for a #1 d-man. I posted a proposal for yandle in the trade forum, it should be getting flamed right about now.
I can't blame anyone who might flame that offer. It looks like a typical Leafs:

Bozak (Mason)
Gunnarson (Vermette)
2nd (2nd)

for

Your star player (Yandle)

Phoenix needs a top 6 center, and a true #1 Goalie, plus they probably would need a young defenseman with upside.

It's hard to make a Yandle deal work, you also have to address Phoenix's issues and send over $5 million back to make it work under the cap.

Old
10-09-2011, 03:21 PM
FreeBoomer61

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post

We should stick with Mason, as he's only 23 years old and has obvious talent. However, for the immediate future, what the kid needs is a mentor. Someone to come in and play the bulk of the games while helping Mase round into the professional athlete that he's capable of being.

I think if we trade him now, the return is going to be **** and we'll all kick ourselves if he ever does pan out.
would turco be a good immediate answer?

FreeBoomer61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:31 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBoomer61 View Post
Wow you know people are over reacting when someone wants Turco over one of the three goalies the jackets have.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:34 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Schneider would be getting for some price, Dekanich was free... it is difference. And if we had to sacrife players not for g-men without experiences.
I was trying to say Schneider is almost as unproven as Dex. Either is risky- Well Dex is now riskier. He's also injured.

The answer is : Pronger, Weber, Suter, etc.

Old
10-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

My follow-up question:
If he's not the answer, who's going to want him in a trade?

Old
10-09-2011, 04:25 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
My follow-up question:
Plenty of teams might, but not for a significant asset. Someone might want him as a project and willing to send a problem type child or a 3rd/4th round pick.

Let's see, who could take a flyer on him:

Tampa? Edmonton? maybe the Devils?

A team with a 30 something plus #1 with time to develop Mason?

Old
10-09-2011, 04:32 PM
36kap36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post

This is why I wanted Vokoun or Turco or Giguere or anyone with the experience during the off season....it would have been good for Mase. But he went with Dekanich. I'm not convinced yet that it was a good choice.

36kap36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox2usp View Post
If Mason is the answer, it must have been a stupid question! Just kidding. I don't think we have given Clark enough time to see what he can accomplish with Mase. Mase looked good in preseason, had what I would consider a couple of average games. He didn't stink but wasn't gee-wiz either. If our defense would keep shots to the outside, start clearing the crease, and quit letting shooters get behind them, Mase would be fine. Too early for this poll IMO. Check back mid-season.
Nice post, I think you made some really nice points here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBoomer61 View Post
Not a fan of Turco, and never was when he was in Dallas. A guy like Dwayne Roloson would have been a great fit on a 1-year deal, or maybe like Craig Anderson - someone who has seen many peaks and valleys in their career, and can more or less humble Steve Mason. Yet, if he struggles mightily, then you can always throw the other guy in and he can watch how they do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
My follow-up question:
I hinted at this in my first post, very much agreed. What are we going to get if we trade him now? A mid-round draft pick for a guy who was a Vezina finalist just three years ago?

Stick with him guys, he's 23 years old and it's two games into the season - without our big ticket free agent defenseman, one of our top-6 forwards, and no defensive zone help.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Plenty of teams might, but not for a significant asset. Someone might want him as a project and willing to send a problem type child or a 3rd/4th round pick.

Let's see, who could take a flyer on him:

Tampa? Edmonton? maybe the Devils?

A team with a 30 something plus #1 with time to develop Mason?
Fair enough. My follow-up question would be (and my original follow-up should maybe have included this):
Do the Jackets want or place enough value in anything they might be able get in return for Mason? Especially given their current depth chart at the position.

Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 04:40 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

At this point in his career, Mason is a good #2. Yes, we're overpaying. Yes, we'd be better off with a veteran as the #1. We're not going to get anything significant in return for him, especially with his salary, at this point. Might as well hold onto him, and groom him for the job.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 04:42 PM
tijuana knuckles
Pierogi eater

Yes he just needs more support around him. If CBJ trades it will come back to haunt them for the next 15 years as they search for a #1 goaltender

tijuana knuckles is online now   Reply With Quote