HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Artem Anisimov: Where do you rank him?

Old
10-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Artem Anisimov: Where do you rank him?

Figure this should be a good discussion for a guy so often forgotten around here (and especially on the main boards). What do we actually have in Anisimov?

There is a thread on the NHL board about the best 3rd line centers in the league. Artem is, technically, our 3rd line center. He's got elite defense to go with 40+ points (and likely to increase). The kid is so damn quiet and unassuming, though, that he just gets forgotten.

Someone basically laughed at the assumption that Anisimov is equal or at least around guys like Bolland and Helm (something which is laughable to me -- I would take Artem over both of them).

Where do we see this kid? What do we see of his development? He's one of the most intriguing players on the team, in my honest opinion. You don't come across players with his size, defensive instincts and offensive skills very often. If he ends up playing with offensive players this year, I'd expect over 50 points and fantastic defense. If we play him as more of a third line role, I'd expect over 45 points (and probably right around 50-55) along with fantastic defense.

He's such an interesting player to have watched develop. But I think there is just so much more talk about other guys on even our own board that he is somehow not as respected as he should be.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Figure this should be a good discussion for a guy so often forgotten around here (and especially on the main boards). What do we actually have in Anisimov?

There is a thread on the NHL board about the best 3rd line centers in the league. Artem is, technically, our 3rd line center. He's got elite defense to go with 40+ points (and likely to increase). The kid is so damn quiet and unassuming, though, that he just gets forgotten.

Someone basically laughed at the assumption that Anisimov is equal or at least around guys like Bolland and Helm (something which is laughable to me -- I would take Artem over both of them).

Where do we see this kid? What do we see of his development? He's one of the most intriguing players on the team, in my honest opinion. You don't come across players with his size, defensive instincts and offensive skills very often. If he ends up playing with offensive players this year, I'd expect over 50 points and fantastic defense. If we play him as more of a third line role, I'd expect over 45 points (and probably right around 50-55) along with fantastic defense.

He's such an interesting player to have watched develop. But I think there is just so much more talk about other guys on even our own board that he is somehow not as respected as he should be.
Technically, Artem is our 2nd line center. Not third.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:14 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I take Arty over Bolland and Helm, too.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Technically, Artem is our 2nd line center. Not third.
That's not really true. We rotate Artem, Stepan, etc. He's usually playing a more 3rd line-esque role as he goes against scoring lines more often than not.

Old
10-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I take Arty over Bolland and Helm, too.
EASILY over Helm. Bolland is a tougher choice, but Artem's age and size brings him above Bolland for me. I think he's also more skilled offensively.

Old
NYR Viper

IMO he would have topped 50 points last season had Dubinsky, Gaborik and Callahan all not missed as much time as they did. People forget that Anisimov and Stepan were really the (2) constant offensive players. Anisimov especially gets overshadowed by Callahan and Dubinsky.

I think he can be a 60-70 point center in this league. He is still SO young.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
That's not really true. We rotate Artem, Stepan, etc. He's usually playing a more 3rd line-esque role as he goes against scoring lines more often than not.
It is true. Technically speaking, he is our 2nd line center with Callahan and Dubinsky/Fedotenko/Wolski

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:17 PM
NYR Viper

Hopefully Richards will have a Thornton-like effect on Anisimov (Pavelski).

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
It is true. Technically speaking, he is our 2nd line center with Callahan and Dubinsky/Fedotenko/Wolski
Basically. But I think that he's an IDEAL 3rd line center whereas Stepan is an IDEAL 2nd line center. Eventually, once Stepan gets some more seasoning, I think we see that transition begin.

Old
10-06-2011, 08:20 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Basically. But I think that he's an IDEAL 3rd line center whereas Stepan is an IDEAL 2nd line center. Eventually, once Stepan gets some more seasoning, I think we see that transition begin.
Frankly, if Arty becomes a 60 point presence with his defense I put him on the top line with two offense-first guys.

If we didn't have BR now i'd say i'd put Arty on a line with guys like Gabby soon. I know his game has checking elements but if he can bring the offense he does he's more than a 3rd line center.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I would take Bolland over Anisimov, only because he really steps his game up to another level in the playoffs. Other than that, I say he is on par with the other elite 3rd line centers like J.Staal and J.Stoll.

However in my opinion, he is the team's 2nd best center, therefor 2nd line center. Stepan is the 3rd line center IMO.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:21 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Seems like a good number of people are expecting a big year from him. Most think (and I'd agree) that Stepan will probably get more PP time, while Artem will get more ES time. If he plays with Callahan and another decent offensive player for a substantial portion of the year, I would not be surprised to see 20-25 goals and 25-35 assists (along with the fantastic defense you already mentioned).

I would absolutely take him over Darren Helm. Helm is an excellent player, but one I can't see cracking 40 points consistently. Bolland is a bit tougher, but I'd probably still go with Anisimov because I think he's just as good defensively, but a little more skilled. Anisimov could be a solid second line center, and the only reason I think he may not put up 2C numbers is because we have another excellent center in Derek Stepan who is going to take minutes away from him (and Brad, obviously).

All in all, Artem is a great young player, and I'd agree that he seems to be underrated around the boards/league. I'm alright with it, though, because we'll be the ones laughing when he's our Cup winning #2/#3 center.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

As of right now, we have two #2/3 centers. Stepan will definitely be looked upon to move up into that #2 spot, which is why I do consider Artem a #3 center, regardless of where he plays.

I really do see Artem being barely less of a player than Staal, even. Staal is the best 3rd line center in the league, and there really is not all that much separating him and Anisimov (other than a Cup).

Once Stepan is able to step up into the #2 role which we all see in his future, we will all look at Artem as a PREMIER 3rd line center in the league.

Old
10-06-2011, 08:25 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I originally believed AA was a 2nd line center, and he may very well be when he's done developing. But, I believe he can become one of the better two-way centers in the league, especially with Callahan on his RW. Ideally, Boyle fills the LW with Dubi moving next to Richards and Gaborik. I think Stepan is potentially the better offensive player, but, I believe Tortorella currently has more trust in AA. It is conceivable that the 1st and 3rd lines are close to being built, while we await the further development of Stepan at the NHL, and, (IMO) Kreider and Miller as his future linemates.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I originally believed AA was a 2nd line center, and he may very well be when he's done developing. But, I believe he can become one of the better two-way centers in the league, especially with Callahan on his RW. Ideally, Boyle fills the LW with Dubi moving next to Richards and Gaborik. I think Stepan is potentially the better offensive player, but, I believe Tortorella currently has more trust in AA. It is conceivable that the 1st and 3rd lines are close to being built, while we await the further development of Stepan at the NHL, and, (IMO) Kreider and Miller as his future linemates.
That's the way I see it in the future.

If everything pans out:

Wolski/MZA/UFA/Me - Richards - Gabby
Kreider - Stepan - Miller
Dubinsky - AA - Callahan

You don't have a true 2nd or 3rd line. You rotate them with equal ice time. But you always put them against the best players of the other team.

Old
10-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Until I see Stepan consolidate his rookie season i'm not going to declare him a lock for future 2A center.

He has that Weiss potential, but for right now that is all it is.

Anisimov is probably the 2nd or 3rd best #3 guy in the league at even strength. It is his special teams that could see improvement.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:56 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Until I see Stepan consolidate his rookie season i'm not going to declare him a lock for future 2A center.

He has that Weiss potential, but for right now that is all it is.

Anisimov is probably the 2nd or 3rd best #3 guy in the league at even strength. It is his special teams that could see improvement.
PP, yeah. PK, for Anisimov, is already top-notch, given his excellent defensive awareness and good reach.

Agree with the second to last statement -- he's a very good even strength player. I don't think he'll ever be a very good PP producer, given his style, but he'll be up there in even strength points. He has the talent to put up 55-60 points, along with about 40 ES points. If he can mold himself into more a PP type of player, the sky is the limit...but, for now, I see him becoming a top-notch "behind" center, in that he's an excellent compliment to a top-notch center.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
As of right now, we have two #2/3 centers. Stepan will definitely be looked upon to move up into that #2 spot, which is why I do consider Artem a #3 center, regardless of where he plays.

I really do see Artem being barely less of a player than Staal, even. Staal is the best 3rd line center in the league, and there really is not all that much separating him and Anisimov (other than a Cup).

Once Stepan is able to step up into the #2 role which we all see in his future, we will all look at Artem as a PREMIER 3rd line center in the league.
Wholeheartedly agree. I've been saying the same thing for the past year. Anisimov reminds me of Sergei Nemchinov in a lot of ways and although it was a much different era, Nemchinov had at least one 75-80 point season if I remember correctly and he was a great two-way checking center who could come up with a big play when needed. Anisimov is bigger and silkier offensively, but I think the role he's going to be most effective in is very comparable to Sergei.

Stepan has top-end vision and offensive awareness. Both players are going to be major keys to any success we enjoy over the next decade (barring any trades). Were very lucky to have both playing behind Richards where they can continue to progress without unrealistic expectations (see: every young and talented player on the islanders).

I also make the comparison to Jordan Staal because of the fantastic two-way play and because the Penguins depth falls into a similar flow, despite Crosby being a generational talent.

CROSBY-MALKIN-STAAL
RICHARDS-STEPAN-ANISIMOV

Two offensive playmakers and then a big two-way player who excels in a shutdown role but can also produce offensively at an above average level.

The best way to put it is how one poster (I forgot who) once said it:

Final minute of the game, trailing by 1, you want Stepan out there.

Final minute of the game, with a one-goal lead, you want Anisimov out there.

(note: these are not considering that we have Richards. Its just between Anisimov and Stepan as a hypothetical situation)

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:30 PM
ColonialsHockey10

If he keeps improving like he has been there's absolutely no reason he can't be a 70 point center. The defensive side of his game is much more cerebral then anything, it's not like Drury or someone else where his forechecking and shot blocking will severely limit his offensive potential. The best two-way centers in the game are effective offensively because they lose little to no time on the defensive side, like Dastyuk, Zetterberg (both of whom turn that defense straight back into offense), Zajac and Crosby.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I don't know where he would be ranked, but, he is a player that put up nearly 40 goals and over 80 points as a 20 year old in the AHL, and he wasn't even developed or that strong.

He could potentially be that at the NHL level, given the ice time.

Getting second line minutes and not top PP unit, though, I believe 60+ points isn't out of the realm of possibility.

So far this year, in camp, he's looked stronger and faster, and more confident. He could be ready for a break out season.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I don't know where he would be ranked, but, he is a player that put up nearly 40 goals and over 80 points as a 20 year old in the AHL, and he wasn't even developed or that strong.

He could potentially be that at the NHL level, given the ice time.

Getting second line minutes and not top PP unit, though, I believe 60+ points isn't out of the realm of possibility.

So far this year, in camp, he's looked stronger and faster, and more confident. He could be ready for a break out season.
i wouldnt be surprised in a few years if Anisimov gets nominated for the selke award. he is that good of a 2 way player..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
I think that he is a very good 2 way center with the ability to hit 60-65 points if everything comes together for him offensively. I see him as a Datsyuk-lite.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 10:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i wouldnt be surprised in a few years if Anisimov gets nominated for the selke award. he is that good of a 2 way player..
I hope so.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:24 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
That's the way I see it in the future.

If everything pans out:

Wolski/MZA/UFA/Me - Richards - Gabby
Kreider - Stepan - Miller
Dubinsky - AA - Callahan

You don't have a true 2nd or 3rd line. You rotate them with equal ice time. But you always put them against the best players of the other team.
it'll be a VERY long time before a line of kreider-step-miller play above dubi-aa-cally. Let me reiterate VERYYYYY long time

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Pizza

Of the 29 other GM's in the league, how many do you think have asked about Artie?

Answer: If their smart, every damn one of them.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote