HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Bouchard Suspended Two Games

Old
10-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

vCash: 500
Bouchard Suspended Two Games

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377742

Two games for the high stick on Calvert. Too much? Not enough? Just right?

Discuss!

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 05:13 PM
CBJ Tiffin

Sounds about right for the guys first offense.

CBJ Tiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Flyersfan139

Edit: Meh changed my mind you can tell he takes a swing, I don't think he meant to hit him in the face though.

Last edited by Flyersfan139: 10-09-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
When you look at the replay, doesn't it look like Calvert lifts Bouchard's stick into his own mouth?

Zoom to about 1:30

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Doesn't matter, he shouldn't have been swinging his stick at Calvert's upper body period. Wild fans can feel free to scram now, we got what we wanted. Calvert should have done a Clutterbuck maybe he would have gotten a lot more games.

Doug19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Hipster Letestu

Two games seems about right, taking into account Calvert somewhat helped his stick come up as high as it got. Sucks to lose teeth as the result of something you were partially responsible for.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
When you look at the replay, doesn't it look like Calvert lifts Bouchard's stick into his own mouth?

Zoom to about 1:30
That certainly determined the severity of the injury (and why I'm actually happy with 2 games), but why is Bouchard taking 2 handed swings at players in the first place?

10-09-2011, 05:46 PM
CT*
WOLF GANG

Unfortunate turn of events, freak accident, should have been no suspension at all.

CT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 05:49 PM
blahblah

It's done, have no comment beyond that.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 05:50 PM
jktsfan*

It's fun to go to the Wild board and see the complaining. Best part is the majority of posters there cannot string an entire sentence together. I LOL'd

jktsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 05:54 PM
FiveHole23

Note to self: hit people in the face with stick = less suspension than without.

Should have been 5 imo.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 06:07 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Its fair. I like it

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 06:09 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

As I said in another thread a few hours before the suspension was announced, the head was the primary point of contact of a two-handed slash, so it's a suspension. The head was NOT the target however, so 2 games in just about right for a first-time offender.

leesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktsfan View Post
It's fun to go to the Wild board and see the complaining. Best part is the majority of posters there cannot string an entire sentence together. I LOL'd
I've long felt comforted by the fact that we're the only fans who aren't homers, too.

CT, I'm with you up until the last part. In my perfect world, honest mistakes only require some type of male/female/co-ed bonding experience to put things right. In the real world, though, and that includes our real hockey world, mistakes are frequently punished.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 06:25 PM
JacketFanInFL

Rimer has his subject for half of the next game.

JacketFanInFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...d=60&id=127216

I like it. Anger over Wiz suspension is fading fast.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 07:09 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Huh?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Socks
HeadFake

2 games works for me.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...d=60&id=127216

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Huh?
Don't want to speak for Sam but I said this exact thing in a thread on the mains. It makes Wiz's suspension more acceptable when Shanny continues to be very consistent with his rulings. Headshots, intentional or not will not be tolerated and repeat offenders will be dealt with in a more harsh light. The suspension that convinced me was the Brendan Smith suspension (5 games non repeat offender compared to Wiz's 8 games repeat offender). This suspension is in line with others for non repeat offenders.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 07:53 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
Don't want to speak for Sam but I said this exact thing in a thread on the mains. It makes Wiz's suspension more acceptable when Shanny continues to be very consistent with his rulings. Headshots, intentional or not will not be tolerated and repeat offenders will be dealt with in a more harsh light. The suspension that convinced me was the Brendan Smith suspension (5 games non repeat offender compared to Wiz's 8 games repeat offender). This suspension is in line with others for non repeat offenders.
I would agree with this if the suspension was 8 games but it was 12. This suspension is fine but Wiz's was at least 2-4 games to many.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
I would agree with this if the suspension was 8 games but it was 12. This suspension is fine but Wiz's was at least 2-4 games to many.
Well to be fair Smith's was seven games. I didn't include games that don't count.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:08 PM
5StringBuzz

It was an intentional swing with the stick. Two games is not enough. Judging that it wasn't his intent to hit him in the face is too soft. I think he got his target. Five games should have been the minimum.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5StringBuzz View Post
It was an intentional swing with the stick. Two games is not enough. Judging that it wasn't his intent to hit him in the face is too soft. I think he got his target. Five games should have been the minimum.
So then we can conclude that Wiz either should have used his stick or should have told Shanny that it wasn't his intent to hit Clutterbuck in the head

JUST JOKING

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:47 PM
TwInS1095

vCash: 950
A couple of things...

1) The Jackets are a pretty dirty team. The whole game, Bouchard specifically, was getting pounded with elbows to the face and slashes. I was at the game and sat on the glass. This happened a foot and a half in front of me so don't tell me I am wrong. The whole fan section was booing as your "goons" were totally cheap shotting Bouchard the entire game.

2) Calvert clearly started the little scrum that often happens when players jockey for position during the face off. He hit Bouchard with his stick in the shins and then Bouchard tries to do the same back when Calvert decided to lift Bouchard's stick. Techinically, Bouchard shouldn't have been swinging his stick in the first place, but those types of things happen on every single play and if Calvert hadn't lifted the stick mid-swing to the shins nothing would have happened.

Obviously it probably should be a susupension just based on the "swinging-motion" and the outcome of the injury, but really if you just look at what happened it really shouldnt. Especially since Bouchard is probably the least likely guy to do anything like that in the league.

3) You can't honestly say that you've never seen someone take two handed slash to another player. It happens every single shift and during every single little face off scrum, scrum in front of the net, corner, or whatever. It's part of the game of hockey. If you say otherwise your either oblivious or have never played hockey.

Obviously the outcome looked bad. But, in no way can you honestly say Bouchard had any intent to injure, took a baseball swing, or actually did anything wrong.

I'm sorry that your guys coach was tweaking and P***ing his pants when it was basically Calverts fault. And then you guys scream and cry when your guy hits Cluttberbuck cheaply, from behind, in the head, and after the game is over. You blame it on Clutterbuck. Clutterbuck is not a dirty player. He hits a lot of players and finishes his checks, but his hits are clean. You make him out to be this huge goon who doesn't have a place in the league...while you have a guy who has multiple offenses who obviously cheap shots him and you he is innocent. While Bouchard, who has never had an offense and rarely ever takes a penalty, is made out to be this killer when if you actually watch the play the severity of the injury was your own players fault.

Peace.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins1095 View Post
And then you guys scream and cry when your guy hits Cluttberbuck cheaply, from behind, in the head, and after the game is over.
You may want to watch the hit again. Clutterbuck was not hit "From Behind"

He was skating directly at Wisniewski. Wisniewski only took 1 step towards him when he made the hit.

Was Wisniewski wrong. Absolutely. He couldn't control his emotions and threw a shoulder into Clutterbucks head. But if Clutterbuck isn't skating directly at him after the buzzer sounds, Wisniewski has nothing to hit.

Bouchard couldn't control his temper and took a 2 handed slash at Calvert. If Calvert doesn't raise his stick at the same time Bouchard gets 2 minutes for slashing. But he was deliberately committing a penalty which due to circumstances became worse.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote