HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on Mike Rupp so far?

Old
10-10-2011, 12:24 AM
NickyFotiu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
I brought it this up last night.

Rupp is actually a lot worse in the penalty department. Sean actually took fewer penalties per 60 minutes of play and drew more. Sean's a lot better with respect to penalties.
The link you posted last night showed Avery was the worst Ranger fwd in regards to taking/drawing penalties differential last season

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:26 AM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
Avery: 565 games - 1512PIM

Rupp: 499 games - 661PIM
Changed my initial post. Here are the facts again.

Rupp:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...2+43+44+45+46#

Avery:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...42+43+44+45+46

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:29 AM
stan the caddy

Quote:
The link you posted last night showed Avery was the worst Ranger fwd in regards to taking/drawing penalties differential last season
I'll remind you that Rupp wasn't on the team last season.

Old
10-10-2011, 12:31 AM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
I'll remind you that Rupp wasn't on the team last season.
Ill remind you that Sean Avery isnt in the NHL this season.

Old
10-10-2011, 12:33 AM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Ill remind you that Sean Avery isnt in the NHL this season.
Good one. Doesn't change the reality. You don't have to want Avery on the team but you can't cite the penalty garbage. Sean Avery is better than Rupp with regards to penalties. He always has been.

Old
10-10-2011, 12:35 AM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Okay so few issues...One, you're now using a subjective category like "intangibles" to try and prove the point that Rupp is a better hockey player? Do you see the problem there?
That's more my fault, improper wording on my part...when I say "intangibles", I refer to hitting, defensive play, and fighting skills, all aspects that Rupp is superior to Avery in. Avery is a horrible defensive player who is constantly out of position, a liability in his own zone. Rupp certainly isn't a Selke candidate, but he's good positionally and with the stick.

Quote:
Two, Rupp has skating ability that Weise does not? Is that a joke?
Nope. Rupp is a better techincal skater than Weise. He's not as fast (although the difference is marginal), but he's much stronger on the puck in the corner and his balance is far superior to Weise's/.

Quote:
Third, you're bringing up the locker room when during Avery's time here we never heard about any issues of him in the locker room? We did however know all about his friendships with many players on the team. If anyone's locker room cred should be discussed, it's EC, with his throwing Avery under the bus for doing nothing wrong last year. And who was the first guy to come to EC's aid after that? Oh wait....I know....
As I said, I was speculating. For whatever it's worth, we never seem to hear about any locker room problems involving this team. I cannot remember the last time we had a player who was publicly revealed as a "locker room cancer" in their time here.

Quote:
Fourth, John Tortorella's decision speaks for itself? This is the same guy who benched Avery for being undisciplined and then got himself suspended for a clinching game in the same playoff series.
It may be somewhat hypocrtical, but should Tortorella not bench Avery simply because he was "undisciplined"? That isn't how it works. And, yeah, his decision speaks for itself.

Quote:
Is it an insignificant move in the grand scheme of things? Sure. But if we're discussing Mike Rupp and his play, it makes sense to compare that to a player who could have been here.
It was never between Avery and Rupp. The Rangers weren't going to sign Rupp to a 3 year contract worth $4.5M only to bench him in favor of what the organization considered a side-show attraction. It was between Avery, Christensen, and Zuccarello. Zuccarello outplayed both, Avery outplayed Christensen, and Christensen, well, just flat out was unimpressive. Avery getting cut in favor of Christensen is disappointing, but, as has been pointed out, it is an insignificant move, nothing to continually harp over.

10-10-2011, 12:38 AM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Good one. Doesn't change the reality. You don't have to want Avery on the team but you can't cite the penalty garbage. Sean Avery is better than Rupp with regards to penalties. He always has been.
I will give you that one since Rupp takes fighting majors in a low amount of minutes per game.

How did Rupps goals per minute compare to Averys goals per minute last season?

The bottom line is if 30 NHL teams all dont want a player on their team there must be a reason.

Old
10-10-2011, 12:49 AM
stan the caddy

Quote:
I will give you that one since Rupp takes fighting majors in a low amount of minutes per game.

The bottom line is if 30 NHL teams all dont want a player on their team there must be a reason.
How did Henrik Sedin's goals per minute compare to Brian Boyle's? There's a lot more to look at than goal totals when comparing offensive ability. Sean Avery is a better offensive player, you shouldn't even need to look at stats to formulate that opinion.

Old
10-10-2011, 01:15 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:

Don't act so oblivious. No one wants him because he did his job, atleast in the first stint, so damn well. Made so many enemies while playing his balls of for us, for our benefit (in most circumstances).

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:29 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

RUPP

WE'RE TALKING ABOUT MIKE RUPP

Look, just because the Sean ****ing Avery got sent down to the minors thread got locked up, doesn't mean this entire god damn forum needs to be Ruckus (nothing personal, but you are easily the most outspoken and persistent advocate for Sean) arguing with the rest of the fan base about Sean Avery.

As I mentioned, Rupp had a fantastic preseason, but has been invisible or worse in the two regular season games. I think we'll see an entirely different player against the Islanders on saturday, a more rested, meaner Rupp.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:34 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0flames View Post

As I mentioned, Rupp had a fantastic preseason, but has been invisible or worse in the two regular season games. I think we'll see an entirely different player against the Islanders on saturday, a more rested, meaner Rupp.
I really hope so. He can be an important player for us.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:40 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I really hope so. He can be an important player for us.
Against a young team like the Isles, I'd like to see a well rested Boyle Prust Rupp line just grind away at them. I think the uninterrupted week of practice and being in NY will do wonders for the team. I don't know about you, but even if i'm traveling first class, it wipes me out. I'm not surprised the boys looked dead against the california combo. If they show up like zombies in their own state, then we have cause for concern.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:43 AM
chosen

Quote:
So you can't actually even bring yourself to try and defend any of the aforementioned players against little ol' Sean Avery huh? That should tell you something.
It's not about defending one's opinion. It's about the fact that nobody wants Avery except you. You should start a new league and make him the first draft pick and prove everyone else wrong.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:58 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I like Rupp.

Plus I think it's a little early to ve piling on to our new 4th liner...

10-10-2011, 08:02 AM
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15

vCash: 485
What's the point of judging a new player after two awful game by the whole team?

EuroFlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:06 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Rupp is slow, has no skill to speak of... and doesn't seem like a very bright player...

That said, ill wait to see if this all changes... doubtful.

Bourque and/or Hagelin would provide more in a niche role. They both bring more as players. The only difference is size and price.

Id replace Wolski and Rupp as 'starters' with Bourque and Hagelin.

Fedotenko. Richards. Gaborik
Dubinsky. Anisimov. Callahan
Hagelin. Stepan. Zuccarello
Bourque. Boyle. Prust

Add speed, skill, and smarts to the lineup.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
My thoughts? 3 years, 1.5 per is a disgusting overpayment. He's a nice guy, and I thought it was a little overpayment at first, but from what i've seen this contract is bad.
I am actually impressed by him!

Better player than what I expected really. Very good shot from close range. Good hands. Natrually strong, but also good along the boards (IE, not just a roadblock like some fighters).

I think it will be exciting to see if he can grow a little here in NY if we invest in him long term. If a unit with him and Brian Boyle can start to find ways to get a hold of the puck and the other team down low, they would be very hard to stop.

Good signing. A fighter is BTW definitely needed these days. Atleast by our team (IE, I don't buy any arguments that starts with "Detroit...").

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:55 AM
NickyFotiu

Rupp had a goal or 2 in the preseason. He has averaged over 10 goals a season the last 2 seasons. He will take the responsibility of fighting heavyweights off Prusts shoulders. If he scores 8-10 goals and wins his fights most fans will be happy with him. If he scores 3 goals and loses his fights (or worse runs away from them) then most fans will be disappointed. From all reports he has been well liked on every team he has played on. Having another good locker-room guy doesnt hurt. I havent heard of him having a bunch of drama following him on or off the ice. I hope he has a good season. He seems like a good guy and he is a Ranger so there is no reason for me not to root for him.

Old
10-10-2011, 08:56 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Ola, I respect your opinions, so don't take this the wrong way... but ugggggh. Watching Rupp play is like watching paint dry. Im not sure which is slower. Less productive, and less rewarding.

Rupp is awful.

Id love to be proven wrong by him, however.

The fighting thing... he was supposed to prevent Prust from fighting more, yet Prust still fought.

Im not sold on Rupp providing anything significant to this team on the ice.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Garv23

Hard to judge after two lousy games, but he likes to battle. I think after a couple weeks we'll all be happy with what he offers. Unless of course you're one of those still hypnotized by Avery's cute blue glasses.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

As of right now, garbage. He seems very out of place and slow. Maybe it was the fatigue from that euro trip that messed him up.

He gotta play better.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:39 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
Hard to judge after two lousy games, but he likes to battle. I think after a couple weeks we'll all be happy with what he offers. Unless of course you're one of those still hypnotized by Avery's cute blue glasses.
If that's directed at me, it's pretty stupid considering I don't give a crap about Avery not being on the team. And have stayed out of the Avery threads.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Garv23

Settle down tiger, wasn't directed at you at all.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:47 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
Settle down tiger, wasn't directed at you at all.
He is actually a Monkey........

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:47 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I apologize, I couldn't tell because there wasn't a quote.