HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs win 5-1, spoil the party

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2011, 09:54 AM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Missed the first period again, got home to see Gomez being useless and Cole pretty much invisible.

These two need to step it up. Game 1 where they sucked was fine, because everyone but Price sucked.
Gomez played fine. Made some really nice backchecks, set up two pretty plays that weren't converted. Had a good shot on net. I really only saw a couple giveaways, and the penalty on him was bull crap.

Honestly, it never ends. I often wonder what he needs to do to be praised around here.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:00 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Gomez played fine. Made some really nice backchecks, set up two pretty plays that weren't converted. Had a good shot on net. I really only saw a couple giveaways, and the penalty on him was bull crap.

Honestly, it never ends. I often wonder what he needs to do to be praised around here.
This.

Can't believe Cole is getting lynched after 2 games as well.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

I don't know what Gomez needs to do in order to see his negatives outweigh his positives.

It's 2 games in. So, no Cole and Gomez aren't crap, or getting lynched. That's great he back checked, but then in typical Gomez fashion he'll do something stupid shortly after.

I forget who said it, but from the 2nd period on every time Gomez did something good, he'd follow it up with 1-2 things bad.

Home opener, Cole will probably be flying. I mean, we all knew Cole wouldn't be good for 41 games.

Gionta is a slow starter, so about game 6, or 7 Gionta will start to get going helping Gomez get more points.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:14 AM
beaverBFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan85 View Post
Winnipeg got out played at times, Montreal got out played at times.. unfortunately for Winnipeg (me), some bad defensive moves resulted in easy break ins for Montreal. Price played really well I'll admit that.. Pavelec...well ..didn't. Don't get too used to killing the Jets 5-1 ..this is just the first game.. lots of nerves surrounding this game. Can't wait to play Habs again!
I will be at that game December 22nd! So pumped my first habs and jets game. Though I'm torn, don't know if I should wear my subban jersey or a white shirt?

Old
10-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I know I'm on the minority here, and that's exactly how it's suppose to be, but other then our lack of physical defensmens, I really, really our D right now. I love the fact that we pitch in Diaz and Emelin in tough situations right off the bat in the regular season, it shows where they are and gives priceless experience for later on in the season. 2 things we can't complain right now is mobility and puck creativity. Having Subban, Weber and Diaz all on the pp doesn't hurt us at all for now, and once Markov is back we'll have a lot of (cheap salary cap wise) assets on the back-end to use.
Posted that in another thread, just wanted to give props to our demolished D squad.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:18 AM
guest1467

Quote:
I don't know what Gomez needs to do in order to see his negatives outweigh his positives.
Seriously?

The guy is the most bashed forward on the team because he has a big paycheck. Even single comment about him is borderline biased, or at the worst completely subjective.

That line played well tonight, they had some really good chances, and defensively, they gave the Jets absolutely nothing. And Gomez was a big part of it, he didn't get any points(largely due to his line mates not converting), but he was a +2, and you really can't ask anymore from him.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Habs

Great game, Cole looks lost and overpaid.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:25 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Seriously?

The guy is the most bashed forward on the team because he has a big paycheck. Even single comment about him is borderline biased, or at the worst completely subjective.

That line played well tonight, they had some really good chances, and defensively, they gave the Jets absolutely nothing. And Gomez was a big part of it, he didn't get any points(largely due to his line mates not converting), but he was a +2, and you really can't ask anymore from him.
That line was easily our most dangerous, they could have scored 3-4 goals last night with a little more luck. Your also 100% correct on Gomez's defensive effort, it was top notch. His backcheck that resulted in a penalty (which was completely bogus, btw) was very nice.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Andy

Quote:
Seriously?

Of course he can ask for more...he's going to come right back and say with a 7.3 million dollar paycheque, he needs to play like a 7.3 million dollar player.

Just do what I've done man, stay away from the Gomez stuff. Everyone's already made up their minds before the game starts.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

It's 2 games in. So, no Cole and Gomez aren't crap, or getting lynched. That's great he back checked, but then in typical Gomez fashion he'll do something stupid shortly after.

I forget who said it, but from the 2nd period on every time Gomez did something good, he'd follow it up with 1-2 things bad.

Home opener, Cole will probably be flying. I mean, we all knew Cole wouldn't be good for 41 games.

Gionta is a slow starter, so about game 6, or 7 Gionta will start to get going helping Gomez get more points.
If Gionta converts his chances, Gomez could easily have a couple more assists and if you get points people notice you more even though your play remains the same.. Gomez has played just fine these past two games. People are just blinded by their dislike of him.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:48 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
That line was easily our most dangerous, they could have scored 3-4 goals last night with a little more luck. Your also 100% correct on Gomez's defensive effort, it was top notch. His backcheck that resulted in a penalty (which was completely bogus, btw) was very nice.
This.

and give Cole some time... He'll break out. He's adapting to a new team, system and its the start of the year and he's known to be a slow starter. I'd rather have him top shape in Feb. March and PO's than him scoring hat tricks on his first 10 games and being out of fuel by January. Big guys like Perry, Ryan and Getzlaf got no points in 2 games with the Ducks. Does it mean they are bust?

Old
10-10-2011, 10:58 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
This.

and give Cole some time... He'll break out. He's adapting to a new team, system and its the start of the year and he's known to be a slow starter. I'd rather have him top shape in Feb. March and PO's than him scoring hat tricks on his first 10 games and being out of fuel by January. Big guys like Perry, Ryan and Getzlaf got no points in 2 games with the Ducks. Does it mean they are bust?
I can't help but think that in Cammalleri's absence that Kostitsyn will get shifted up to the top line (maybe not first game, but he will) and that he and Cole will get larger roles. I happen to think this line Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Cole could end up being very good, surround Plekanec with two big bodies could end up serving him very well.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:04 AM
kojiro

Did anyone else caught Price grooving to that Stevie Wonder song between plays in the second period ? That was awesome ! I wish somebody would make a video out of that Here i was thinking he only liked country music , turns out he's got some funk in him

Old
10-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
This.

Cole also had some nice scoring opportunities that missed the net. He's a good shooter and that shouldn't be the case most of the time.

As for Gomez, his main job on his line is to get the puck into the offensive zone so Gionta and Pacioretty can work he did that well last night. They generated some great chances but only converted on one.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojiro View Post
Did anyone else caught Price grooving to that Stevie Wonder song between plays in the second period ? That was awesome ! I wish somebody would make a video out of that Here i was thinking he only liked country music , turns out he's got some funk in him
He was having fun all night. Chatting with the people behind the net, dancing to music, joking around with the refs/linesmen. It was fun to watch him like that.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
10-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
One of the benefits of all these injuries to start the season is that its going to force Martin to play the young players ( Weber, Diaz, Emelin, Enqvist ) so we will see what they have...
this is what im most excited about as well

Old
10-10-2011, 11:23 AM
guest1467

We all know how good Price is. But sometimes I think we need to just take a step back and realize how freaking good this kid is. He will, no doubt, become the best goaltender in the league.

He is a superstar, and one day he might bring the cup back home.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:27 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Quote:
We all know how good Price is. But sometimes I think we need to just take a step back and realize how freaking good this kid is. He will, no doubt, become the best goaltender in the league.

He is a superstar, and one day he might bring the cup back home.
this

Old
10-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I really don't understand how we re-signed Gill over Hammer, what a colossal mistake. Hopefully PK starts focusing a little more and calms down a bit, Gill needs him to be great.
mind blowing really.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

Why are people saying Gomez was terrible? I thought he played just fine.

If Gionta wasn't off his game and actually finished, people would be singing a different tune about Gomez.

IMO Gionta was bad, missed an open net and couldn't seem to receive any passes. Gomez had a decent game, definitely doesn't merit getting bashed on.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Kinda wondered why the Jets fans were booing PK? He has never played there and he did not do anything tonight that would have prompted the boos? Why were they booing him?

Most Jets fans probably watched the Moose.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:53 AM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post

Most Jets fans probably watched the Moose.
LOL PK with the triple low five at the end.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post

If Gionta wasn't off his game and actually finished, people would be singing a different tune about Gomez.

IMO Gionta was bad, missed an open net and couldn't seem to receive any passes. Gomez had a decent game, definitely doesn't merit getting bashed on.
I only watch part of the games and at one point in the first period Gomez did not look that good. I saw him cough the puck and did not even backcheck. He was literally sliding back in the neutral zone, his feet wasn't even moving.

After that, he was fine. Gionta is the weakest link on that line so far.

Old
10-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post

If Gionta would have scored on the tic-tac-toe... man, highlight of the night, for sure.

Old
10-10-2011, 12:33 PM
paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
If Gionta would have scored on the tic-tac-toe... man, highlight of the night, for sure.
Funny how lots of people base their analysis on stats and then try to find the arguments after to support the stats.

Gomez has 0 points, so he played like crap.
Weber gets a couple of points and is the best defenseman out there.

Closed Thread