HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs win 5-1, spoil the party

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2011, 09:27 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Beautiful goals by Plekanec and Moen tonight, also a couple of rockets from Weber and Pacioretty.

Couple areas of concern. Defense gets better with some addition by subtraction with Spacek out, hopefully he's done for the year. Emelin looked lost out there and Weber played tough for a small guy.

Lack of size/toughness still an area of concern. Habs were pushed around badly before getting a couple of generous calls. This will result in more injuries longterm and wear down our smaller players.

Do not like Plekanec on the point on the PP. Guys are keying on Subban because Plekanec doesn't have a great shot and he looks uncomfortable in that role.
I don't understand why they aren't using Subban with Weber or Diaz, it's essentially the same setup as last season with Wisniewski this way. If paired up with Weber they could even switch up on the fly and let Weber take one-timers as well. I just think it works better, Weber will end up being the beneficiary because they will over-commit Subban and rapidly discover that Weber's shot is also a dangerous weapon and in the end it'll be a Subban-Wisniewski 2.0 .

Old
10-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Habit11

Great to see them convert their chances tonight. Weber has to play with P.K. on the PP point as i'm sure it's been mentioned. Two guys who can fire the puck is better than 1. Pleks back there is a nice idea, but you're also taking your best forward out of the equation at the same time, which IMO is not a beneficial trade off. MaxPac scoring a beauty has to be good for his confidence. Engqvist had a second quiet, but efficient game, I think Betts getting sent back isn't a big deal. If he can be efficient on the penalty kill and faceoffs, he should hold down the 4th line C spot. I'd say that's two good games for him. Emelin and Diaz to me, look like two guys who are going to be even better once they get comfortable. The speed of the game is all they need to get used to. Eric Cole will get better, once this team takes less penalties. Going to be hard for him to find chemistry playing otherwise reduced 5 on 5 time, but not worried about him at all.

On the Cammy injury... a fluke play, could have happened any other time of the game, but I really never understood why he's killing penalties (Gionta too). Not blaming JM, but I always had a feeling he would eventually get hurt playing there (thought a puck of the foot as a likely culprit). Forwards on the PK are in the line of fire, I don't get why you're big money scorers who are nearly impossible to replace if injured, are asked to do that, unless they are exceptional like Plekanec. If the bottom 6 they have isn't capable of doing it, then find guys who can.

Old
10-09-2011, 09:55 PM
JohnnyB11

Nice game by the Habs, too bad the bad luck continues as the injury list grows.

Loved the play of Plekanec, Price, and Weber.

Also love to not have to read the same old posts calling for the Habs to fire Gauthier, fire Martin, and on and on. Thanks for the break, however short it may be!@

Old
10-09-2011, 09:59 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I don't understand why they aren't using Subban with Weber or Diaz, it's essentially the same setup as last season with Wisniewski this way. If paired up with Weber they could even switch up on the fly and let Weber take one-timers as well. I just think it works better, Weber will end up being the beneficiary because they will over-commit Subban and rapidly discover that Weber's shot is also a dangerous weapon and in the end it'll be a Subban-Wisniewski 2.0 .
i agree with ya, pleks up front would be better than DD

Old
10-09-2011, 10:00 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I saw what you're referring to, but I hope you don't consider that a missed call. You say it's 'clear' but considering the circumstances of the play, I hardly consider that a blown call or obvious without looking for it in replay.
I've got to go hunt down the video of Cammy's goal to check this out as I didn't notice it while watching the game..

I think it would be a good idea if a mod added all of Fel's video's of the goals to the first post of the PGT so we don't have to go hunting around for them..

Old
10-09-2011, 10:03 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I've got to go hunt down the video of Cammy's goal to check this out as I didn't notice it while watching the game..

I think it would be a good idea if a mod added all of Fel's video's of the goals to the first post of the PGT so we don't have to go hunting around for them..
Well, it was up on rds a while back. Check tsn or whatever now.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Cherry says Price is the best goalie in the world right now.
I did not expect that.
Sometimes he's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
See, sometimes we discuss about how +/- are relevant or not....Can we say that Oduya -3 is incredibly relevant? That should count for -6.....
You mean he was in Komisarek's neighborhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I know they are thrilled the Jets are back .. but seriously .. Antropov gets the 1st goal? Antropov will be the answer to the trivia question for eternity? That sissy? lol

Would have been much better if Ladd, Kane or even Schaefelle had got it

Maybe even Scheifele?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Cole is struggling for sure. I think he will come around soon enough though.
He may even get to play as well as Kostitsyn and stay on the first line.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-09-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: merged
Old
10-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
2 of 3 goals scored against Price have occured while players were laying on top of him inside of the net.
You noticed it, of course. Only a Bruins fan would have denied seeing it.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
So next game are we looking at;

Moen - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Desharnais - Eller - Kostitsyn
Darche - Engqvist - ??

Emelin, Weber, Gorges, Diaz, Gill, Subban

... Any word on Spacek? I could see us signing another UFA D if Spacek isn't ready.
I doubt PG would do that. Spacek won't be out forever. Most likely a farmhand will be called up.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:26 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Well, it was up on rds a while back. Check tsn or whatever now.
I just found fel's video of the goal in the GDT.. That play was way to close to call from the angle I saw in the video posted.. Actually it even looked like Pleks was on the line before Cammy entered the zone but a replay looking across the blueline would be much better..

IMO that wasn't a missed call. It was bang bang play and not really conclusive that it was offside from the angle I saw..

Old
10-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Moen obtained more puck skills over the summer.

Maybe Cole is injured or something...he clearly looks off and he's being played like a 3rd/4th liner.
I think he just hasn't settled in.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I saw Cammy picking off a puck from (Oduya) in the neutral zone with Plkanec still in the offensive zone and Cammy enters the zone before Plecs exits. Pretty clear to me.
If only the Habs can catch these types of breaks in playoff games...would trade meaningless game breaks for those any day.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:29 PM
habsrule22

I think were gonna see on thursday against the flames
moen - pleks - cole
patch - gomez - gionta
andrei - eller - dd
darche - engqvist - call up

gill - pk
emelin - gorges
weber - diaz

Old
10-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
You see he's not really top 6 in strength time. Even with Cammalleri's injury: Gomez, Plekanec, Gionta, Desharnais, Pacioretty, Kostitsyn all had as much if not more even strength ice and significantly more total icetime. He never averaged 14 minutes/game in any of his successful seasons. If you look at his icetime in his good seasons and bad seasons you'll notice he's best when playing 18+ (like he was in preseason). He played 9 more even strength seconds than Moen too. His icetime is definitely closer to being a 3rd liner than a top 6 forward.
I pointed out last week that Cole isn't an elite player. That doesn't mean he doesn't have a role. He'll prove useful.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Celtic Cross

Great game but when gionta got laid out I cringed in hope a third player didn't get injured today yet it neon our captain. And gill to the rescue no thanks

PG add some grit ASAP dude a big hitter who would stand up for his mates maybe Hartnell

Old
10-09-2011, 10:32 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I think he just hasn't settled in.
This...100%agree

Old
10-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Cole is going to do just that. Skate up/down, shoot, park in front of the net. Think of a better Darche. Or an older Pacioretty. Dont expect miracles? Hes a 20 goal scorer. See Andrei.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:33 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Cole is going to do just that. Skate up/down, shoot, park in front of the net. Think of a better Darche. Or an older Pacioretty. Dont expect miracles? Hes a 20 goal scorer. See Andrei.
and this too!

Old
10-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Beautiful goals by Plekanec and Moen tonight, also a couple of rockets from Weber and Pacioretty.

Couple areas of concern. Defense gets better with some addition by subtraction with Spacek out, hopefully he's done for the year. Emelin looked lost out there and Weber played tough for a small guy.

Lack of size/toughness still an area of concern. Habs were pushed around badly before getting a couple of generous calls. This will result in more injuries longterm and wear down our smaller players.

Do not like Plekanec on the point on the PP. Guys are keying on Subban because Plekanec doesn't have a great shot and he looks uncomfortable in that role.
There is nothing wrong with Spacek, he is a very good 6/7th dman. We need him at least until Markov comes back.

For now..

Subban-Gill
Gorges-Diaz
Emelin/Spacek/Weber

When Markov comes back, two of Diaz getting sent down, Weber plays forward, Spacek sits needs to happen.. If we are all healthy when Campoli comes back, it gets confusing, as Spacek would be sitting most games, so I wouldn't be surprised(although I would be disappointed) if Spacek gets flipped at the deadline.

We really do have a lot of defensive depth, when healthy(key word)

Old
10-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
I thought Habs would have had more class and win by 1 goal or lost by design.
the Habs are quite capable of losing without a design. However, winning is the object, even if it spoils the party, n'est çe pas?

Old
10-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
So far Plek has a 57% faceoff win. If he keeps this up he'll get serious Selke consideration.
He's also playing defenseman minutes averaging almost 23min a game.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
I think were gonna see on thursday against the flames
moen - pleks - cole
patch - gomez - gionta
andrei - eller - dd
darche - engqvist - call up

gill - pk
emelin - gorges
weber - diaz
If White can't play, the 4th line spot will be Palushaj's IMO

Old
10-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Next games lines:

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Cole

Darche - Eller - Desharnais

Moen - Engqvist - (doesn't really matter)

Old
10-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Next games lines:

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Cole

Darche - Eller - Desharnais

Moen - Engqvist - (doesn't really matter)
With Moen's performance tonight, I wouldn't be surprised to see him with Plekanec and Cole and AK with Eller and DD.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

To be honest, I would like Desharnais or Palushaj to play with Cammy/Cole and reunite the AK/Eller/Moen line

Closed Thread