HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs win 5-1, spoil the party

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2011, 03:01 AM
stides*

vCash: 500
Habs score 5 against wpg and 0 against the Leafs. Is Reimer or the Leafs really that good?

Old
10-10-2011, 03:08 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Nobody complaining about the 1st Habs goal...clearly offside.
i guess they made up for it with the Jets goal where Price was CLEARLY interferred with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stides View Post
Habs score 5 against wpg and 0 against the Leafs. Is Reimer or the Leafs really that good?
Neither Montreal was just that poor that game. Also, bounces werent going Montreals way that game. How many pucks went through Reimer in that first period plus two goals posts i believe. That Toronto game could easily have been different if Montreal gets a favorable bounce in that first period.

This game everything they shot went in. They came out on the good side of the posts and crossbars.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 10-10-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Merged
Old
10-10-2011, 03:15 AM
Kovatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
But as we all know there's a good reason for that:

Plekanec is one of the few #1 centers (whether or not he is a legit one is not the question, is our best and most important center after all) who also tends to lead his team in shorthanded mins.

Other Selke-award worthy players, from Bergeron, Kesler, J. Staal, Nielson, and Pavelski are all 2nd line centres on their respective teams, and therefore also face lesser D-man on ES.

Remember that Pleks is routinely playing against Chara, Myers, Schenn, Letang, M. Staal, Carlsson, and co. as well.

The only #1 centres who are a legitimate first wave penalty killers are probably M. Richards, Toews, Kopitar, and Giroux. And no, Datsyuk doesn't often play on the PK (but I'm sure he easily could).

Gangsta was 11th in total SH mins last season among all forwards, and every player ahead of him were bottom-6 guys.

It must seem like a pretty thankless job at times, and I won't be the first one to tell you that it must take quite a toll on your body to be playing that many PK mins. But you're right, until we get a legitimate two-way 2nd line centre (or first line), Pleks will most likely continue to slow down offensively during the second half of the season, but I'll refrain from faulting him for it.
Oh ya, I'm in complete agreement with you. He may not give you 'top center' point totals but with everything else he brings he contributes just as much if not more than most top centermen in the league. I just think if we had a legitimate second line or 1b type centerman it would take a bit of the burden off Plex and would probably improve his point totals. Plus, when he slows down offensively he still gets it done defensively and on the pk.

Old
10-10-2011, 03:29 AM
The Right Price

It was a good game by most skaters and a really phenomenal game by Price and Plekanec, who had a 3 pt night!

Jets didn't really have the best of nights. Pavelec's movement in the net was average, and really bad compared to Price. And I was really mindblown by the Oduya-Byfuglien pairing.. why not pair Buff with Enström like last season? Well, it's going to be a tough season for the Jets no doubt, being in the SE division at all.

Subban's game is still not quite there. IMO it looks like he's trying to hard to create something, a bit like last season when he played badly. He should just concentrate on the simple things and make those work in a way few d-men can.

The Gomez line looked really good. Although I don't understand how Gionta can miss the net again again and again. Pacioretty was really solid.

Emelin looked a bit shaky, and I understand if JM prefers Diaz over him. I would too.

Old
10-10-2011, 05:15 AM
RNiner

Its great to see Weber taking his chance and running away with it. I thought he had played really solid when called upon down the stretch last year, and thought it was pretty crappy that he was relegated to 4th line/PP duties after a so-so camp. Especially after that 1st game when he wasn't even out there for PP1.

Not saying I like or ask for injuries, but Campoli and Spacek are not our future. If we had to watch Weber being misused for half the season I would've entered rage mode.

Now Cole can get his 1st line shot too. Injuries suck, but these ones are fillable and well-timed, for once.

Old
10-10-2011, 05:56 AM
Jimmy_Dugaz
The KrEMELIN Wall

I missed the game 'cause i was working...

How was...

Gomez ?

Cole ?

DIaz ?

Emelin ?

Weber ?

Thanks !

Old
10-10-2011, 06:03 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Dugaz View Post

How was...

Gomez ?

Cole ?

DIaz ?

Emelin ?

Weber ?

Thanks !
Bad
Bad
Good
Good
Great

Old
10-10-2011, 06:26 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
It was a good game by most skaters and a really phenomenal game by Price and Plekanec, who had a 3 pt night!

Jets didn't really have the best of nights. Pavelec's movement in the net was average, and really bad compared to Price. And I was really mindblown by the Oduya-Byfuglien pairing.. why not pair Buff with Enström like last season? Well, it's going to be a tough season for the Jets no doubt, being in the SE division at all.

Subban's game is still not quite there. IMO it looks like he's trying to hard to create something, a bit like last season when he played badly. He should just concentrate on the simple things and make those work in a way few d-men can.

The Gomez line looked really good. Although I don't understand how Gionta can miss the net again again and again. Pacioretty was really solid.

Emelin looked a bit shaky, and I understand if JM prefers Diaz over him. I would too.
It was his first NHL game! Give him some time to adjust more. KHL is quite different(The swiss league is much closer to NA game). The rink size is a factor. And
with AkBars he new exactly what his role is. All the moves were well plotted. Here he has to adjust in all aspecs of the game. Yemelin looked cautious, yes. But that what I would expect him to be. Tried not to make something stupid. He did with the penalty. After he came out you could actually see how hard he tried to make up for his mistake. AND he drew 2 penalties himself too. One of his qualities the opposition always was whining about. He can sell it to the refs.

As for Diaz you can see he's going to be OK, but he also made some mistakes typical for a young guy learning.

Old
10-10-2011, 07:26 AM
aqsw
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
Seeing Weber back playing in his natural position was an eye opener. The kid really stepped up when the team needed someone to.

Good win, let's hope we get everyone back soon.

Weren't the officials from in and around the Winnipeg area? And the Wpg fans are crying the officials were against them? Hilarious...
I think it's actually worse to have home team referees. They don't want to look biased. Andy Van Hellemond was the worst for this. I cannot remember him ever giving Wpg. a break in a game. When he reffed we knew we were doomed.

Old
10-10-2011, 07:28 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
Give him time. I remeber Subban last year, his first 20 games...ishhh. Time.

Old
10-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Protest the Hero

So do we call up a top 6 guy like Palushaj, or do we move Kostitsyn/DD up in the top 6 and call up a bottom 6 guy?

Old
10-10-2011, 07:44 AM
jetsfan85*

Winnipeg got out played at times, Montreal got out played at times.. unfortunately for Winnipeg (me), some bad defensive moves resulted in easy break ins for Montreal. Price played really well I'll admit that.. Pavelec...well ..didn't. Don't get too used to killing the Jets 5-1 ..this is just the first game.. lots of nerves surrounding this game. Can't wait to play Habs again!

Old
10-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Belenos

Quote:
How was...
Gomez ?
Cole ?
Diaz ?
Emelin ?
Weber ?
Gomez and Cole.... Cole's pass, where Weber had to take a penalty, was just horrible. A veteran should never ever even try a pass like this. (It was so obvious)

Diaz and Emelin were both good. Diaz had some problems in front of the net, but offensively he was good. Emelin looked solid too. But both will need some games to adjust to NA-ice rinks and hockey. Be patient.

Weber was probably the best D on the ice yesterday. Good passing, nice shot and solid defensively. I really hope for him, that he can play on like this.

Old
10-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Kriss E

I really don't understand how we re-signed Gill over Hammer, what a colossal mistake. Hopefully PK starts focusing a little more and calms down a bit, Gill needs him to be great.

Old
10-10-2011, 08:33 AM
headliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Kinda wondered why the Jets fans were booing PK? He has never played there and he did not do anything tonight that would have prompted the boos? Why were they booing him?
People who worship at the Church of Cherry. Quite the Subban smear campaign that bigot ran last year.

Old
10-10-2011, 08:38 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I really don't understand how we re-signed Gill over Hammer, what a colossal mistake. Hopefully PK starts focusing a little more and calms down a bit, Gill needs him to be great.
If Hammer would have stayed for 2.25M for 1 yr I am sure they would have kept him, but he went for more money and more term...Gill is a good leader, and a calming influence, but man for a guy his size, he doesn't play tough at all...

Old
10-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Ginu

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Desharnais - Eller - Palushaj
Moen - Engqvist - Darche

I don't see Palushaj's talents being wasted on a checking line. Put him with players he can play with.

Old
10-10-2011, 08:49 AM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Kinda wondered why the Jets fans were booing PK? He has never played there and he did not do anything tonight that would have prompted the boos? Why were they booing him?
Scored an OT winner 2 years ago in the playoffs and was just a beast against them. Don't blame them for hating. He torched them.

Old
10-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Cole
Desharnais - Eller - Palushaj
Moen - Engqvist - Darche

I don't see Palushaj's talents being wasted on a checking line. Put him with players he can play with.
With Moen's play last game and JM's mancrush for him, I wouldn't be shocked to see him stick with line #1. I also wouldn't be shocked if Blunden got the call over Palushaj.

Moen - Plekanec - Cole
Desharnais - Eller - Kostitsyn
Darche - Engqvist - Blunden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
Gomez and Cole.... Cole's pass, where Weber had to take a penalty, was just horrible. A veteran should never ever even try a pass like this. (It was so obvious)

Diaz and Emelin were both good. Diaz had some problems in front of the net, but offensively he was good. Emelin looked solid too. But both will need some games to adjust to NA-ice rinks and hockey. Be patient.

Weber was probably the best D on the ice yesterday. Good passing, nice shot and solid defensively. I really hope for him, that he can play on like this.
I'm not joking when I say Weber has been the best Hab so far. I know it's only two games, but it's a good sign. He was one of the best Habs (if not the best) against Toronto as well, as far as I'm concerned.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:

How was...

Gomez ?

Cole ?

DIaz ?

Emelin ?

Weber ?

Thanks !
Gomez: Not good. For every good play he made, he followed it up with 1-2 bad plays. Clearly noticeable out there too, but in a bad way.

Cole: Eye sore. Not much effort to his game last night, didn't hustle, lost easy battles and took bad shots on rushes. Hope he bounces back from this bad game.

Diaz: Quite good. Did a lot of good things right in his own end, including winning a battle against Big Buff along the boards. He's improving with each game.

Emelin: One of the best defencemen out there last night. Imposing his size and strength, winning battles and at one point clearing out three guys in front of the net when the puck was loose. He too is getting better with each game.

Weber: I hope last night's performance was an indication that Weber belongs not only on the point but on the powerplay as well. He was solid in the defensive zone and creative in the offensive zone. Great goal too. No more fourth line, please!

Old
10-10-2011, 09:09 AM
jetsfan85*

Quote:
Originally Posted by headliner View Post
People who worship at the Church of Cherry. Quite the Subban smear campaign that bigot ran last year.
people booed PK when he was playing for Hamilton too and they were playing in Winnipeg vs the Moose. Nothing new

Old
10-10-2011, 09:18 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
If Hammer would have stayed for 2.25M for 1 yr I am sure they would have kept him, but he went for more money and more term...Gill is a good leader, and a calming influence, but man for a guy his size, he doesn't play tough at all...
If we'd offered Hammer a one year deal before June 28th maybe he would have taken it.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:40 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stides View Post
Leafs are just too strong for the league,specially Reimer.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:41 AM
guest1467

You know how Cammy always points to the person who passed him the puck on his goal? I was really hoping just out of habit he would point to Oduya. Would have been hilarious.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Missed the first period again, got home to see Gomez being useless and Cole pretty much invisible.

These two need to step it up. Game 1 where they sucked was fine, because everyone but Price sucked.

Closed Thread