HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NY Yankees/Mets Discussion

Old
03-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

vCash: 500
2011 NY Yankees/Mets Discussion

New season, new thread.

03-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Renbarg

The Mets suck

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:30 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

The Yankees will be back on top in November.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:27 AM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
The Mets suck
I feel the same pain brotha..

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 05:29 AM
islandersfan1677

another season of misery

go mets

islandersfan1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Well Luis Hernandez will be the starting second basement for the mets.. So long Castillo.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:44 AM
mapes

I opened another Yahoo league, as one of my leagues was dropped.

12 person roto league. Draft is the 27th,

ID: 151557
PW: baseball

Hope to see you there

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:06 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

This is all you need to know...

Mets are gonna suck like always. And even if they didn't suck, the Phillies can't be beat.

Yankees are gonna suck too (by Yankee standards). Zero starting pitching beyond CC and maybe Hughes. Also, the **** sox got a lot better.

There. Now lets fast forward to next hockey season.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:07 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
This is all you need to know...

Mets are gonna suck like always. And even if they didn't suck, the Phillies can't be beat.

Yankees are gonna suck too (by Yankee standards). Zero starting pitching beyond CC and maybe Hughes. Also, the **** sox got a lot better.

There. Now lets fast forward to next hockey season.
I think the AL east is going to be much closer than people think. The Yanks bullpen is stacked. All they need to get from their starters is a solid 6 innings then the let the bp take over.

The Red Sox lineup got better, but there bullpen isn't as strong as the Yanks. Also they have some question marks regarding their starting pitching. They need Beckett to rebound as well as Lackey. They also have a big question mark in dice-K.

That being said, I don't think anyone beats the Phils.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
I think the AL east is going to be much closer than people think. The Yanks bullpen is stacked. All they need to get from their starters is a solid 6 innings then the let the bp take over.

The Red Sox lineup got better, but there bullpen isn't as strong as the Yanks. Also they have some question marks regarding their starting pitching. They need Beckett to rebound as well as Lackey. They also have a big question mark in dice-K.

You are correct. All the Yanks need is 6 solid innings. But getting 6 solid innings from Sergio Mitre, an unproven Ivan Nova (if he is given a spot), AJ "headcase" Burnett and one of either Freddy Garcia/Bartolo Colon is easier said than done. There are no two ways around it... our rotation is thin. So thin that the dynamite bullpen might not matter. I still like our lineup but the sox lineup got worlds better this offseason.

But like you said, it doesn't matter who comes out of the AL this year. The Phils won't be beat. They CAN'T be beat. The old saying "pitching wins"... well if that holds true, there is no way the Phils can lose. It's basically impossible for them to lose... unless they suffer injuries. To me, that's the only way they don't win the world series.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:09 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
You are correct. All the Yanks need is 6 solid innings. But getting 6 solid innings from Sergio Mitre, an unproven Ivan Nova (if he is given a spot), AJ "headcase" Burnett and one of either Freddy Garcia/Bartolo Colon is easier said than done. There are no two ways around it... our rotation is thin. So thin that the dynamite bullpen might not matter. I still like our lineup but the sox lineup got worlds better this offseason.

But like you said, it doesn't matter who comes out of the AL this year. The Phils won't be beat. They CAN'T be beat. The old saying "pitching wins"... well if that holds true, there is no way the Phils can lose. It's basically impossible for them to lose... unless they suffer injuries. To me, that's the only way they don't win the world series.
Agree with everything you said Twine.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Brunomics

Baseball needs a salary cap, once that happens it'll become interesting again.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

The Yankee fan side of me disagrees with you because really as a Yanks fan, I can't fathom having a payroll under $200 million. Spoiled, I know. But I'm an Isles fan so cut me some slack

But the baseball fan in general also disagrees. Why? Because money doesn't buy winning. Does it help? Sure it does. But just look at the world series participants the past few years... Excluding the Yanks and Phils you have Colorado, Tampa Bay, San Fran and Texas. Add teams like the Twins who make the playoffs every year (yes the Twins are a semi-large market team now with the new stadium but they weren't in 2003 and 2004 when they started being very good). All those teams I mentioned have/had lower to reasonable payrolls. They spent their money wisely and developed great young talent to win. Hell, the freakin Marlins beat the Yanks in the 2003 world series. So it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Teams like the Pirates and Royals are bad year in, year out because their owners take the revenue and put it in their pocket. With revenue sharing, teams like the Yanks, sox and Phils are basically paying those teams payrolls.

Old
03-17-2011, 01:13 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
The Yankee fan side of me disagrees with you because really as a Yanks fan, I can't fathom having a payroll under $200 million. Spoiled, I know. But I'm an Isles fan so cut me some slack

But the baseball fan in general also disagrees. Why? Because money doesn't buy winning. Does it help? Sure it does. But just look at the world series participants the past few years... Excluding the Yanks and Phils you have Colorado, Tampa Bay, San Fran and Texas. Add teams like the Twins who make the playoffs every year (yes the Twins are a semi-large market team now with the new stadium but they weren't in 2003 and 2004 when they started being very good). All those teams I mentioned have/had lower to reasonable payrolls. They spent their money wisely and developed great young talent to win. Hell, the freakin Marlins beat the Yanks in the 2003 world series. So it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Teams like the Pirates and Royals are bad year in, year out because their owners take the revenue and put it in their pocket. With revenue sharing, teams like the Yanks, sox and Phils are basically paying those teams payrolls.
This. They don't even spend the money they get in revenue sharing. I don't feel bad for those teams at all.

Old
03-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
This. They don't even spend the money they get in revenue sharing. I don't feel bad for those teams at all.
Nope. They get checks from the big teams a few times a year and instead of investing that money into a player or two, they buy themselves another boat. Or plane. I don't feel bad for those teams either. I do however, feel bad for the fans of those teams. Any fans that are left at this point.

Old
03-17-2011, 02:55 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:

IMO the importance of the bullpen is overstated. A great bullpen can maybe add a few wins to your total but individually Soriano will only be worth about two wins.

That being said, offense is important too and the Yankees have the best year after year.

.................................................. .................................................. .............

In terms of the revenue sharing discussion, although I am a Yankee fan, it is impossible to deny the huge adavnatge that the Yankees, Sox, Phillies, etc. have over other teams.

Yeah, yeah the Rays...but their management has to be incredibly smart in order to maintain at the very most a five year period of excellence. Then the fact that they will not be able to restock due to low draft position, not be able to pay free agents such as their own Crawford will destroy them. What do the Yankees do? They develop a few players in one year and sign a bunch of free agents, fifteen years later rinse/repeat. A team without the resources the Yankees have will NOT make the playoffs 19 out of 19 years, and the Yankees most certainly DO NOT have the best management in baseball.

Revenue sharing...well it's not as black and white as you guys put it. A lot of the money is lost to taxes and other crap while teams like the Pirates finally ARE spending money (They lead the league in spending in amateur ranks).

Management 50%
Resources 50%

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Isles Junkie

Thank god, Castillo was released today

Everyone on the planet knew that his contract was undeserved the second it was announced. He literally had no other suitors. He would have accepted a 2 year 8 million dollar deal.

At least he isn't our problem anymore. Ollie is next.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Brunomics

Quote:

So were you against the salary cap in the NHL then? The reason I ask is that you are right some smaller market teams do win once in a while but I just think overall it makes things much more competative. Going into the season you just know that 20 out of 30 teams don't even have a shot and another 4 are bubble teams for the championship. Hell look at the NHL now and it's just so much more wide open. Makes everything that much more exciting.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Thank god, Castillo was released today

Everyone on the planet knew that his contract was undeserved the second it was announced. He literally had no other suitors. He would have accepted a 2 year 8 million dollar deal.

At least he isn't our problem anymore. Ollie is next.

Old
03-31-2011, 03:37 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
I can never be a Mets or Jets fan.. God only punishes me with the Islanders.

With that said - YANKEES WIN... DAAAAA YANKEES WIN!!!!!!!!!!

6-3 over the Tigers

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 05:08 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

The Yankees quest begins!!!

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
So were you against the salary cap in the NHL then? The reason I ask is that you are right some smaller market teams do win once in a while but I just think overall it makes things much more competative. Going into the season you just know that 20 out of 30 teams don't even have a shot and another 4 are bubble teams for the championship. Hell look at the NHL now and it's just so much more wide open. Makes everything that much more exciting.
The salary cap in the NHL works (in theory) more due to the floor than the cap. In theory. But really if you look at things now, we are pretty much right back to where we were before the lockout. The cap keeps rising every single year. That's what happens when you tie player salaries directly to revenue at a set percentage. Revenues keep increasing, player salaries increase proportionately and we have what we had before the lockout... the rags, flyers, wings, etc being able to add to their teams at will. "We are up against the cap this year? That's cool, because next year we will have another 5-6 million to play with". In my opinion, it's not working in the NHL.

Sure, there are more chances for upsets in the NHL because of the sheer amount of teams that make the playoffs. Anything can happen in a 7 game series. But really, you have the same teams making the playoffs every year for the most part. Maybe not seeded like they were the previous year but close enough. The pens, caps and hawks were all bad before the lockout. Very bad. The reason those teams are good now has nothing to do with the salary cap and everything to do with how they drafted.

The only way a cap would work in baseball is if a floor was included as well. But that can't happen. Why? Because in order for that to work, there would have to be a DRASTIC reduction in player salaries. You now have a large amount of teams with rising payrolls. You have 12 teams this year with payrolls over $100 million and 6 more teams with payrolls over $85 million. That's not chump change. Then you have 5 teams under $50 million. That's a huge gap. The numbers in the NHL had a much lower range. The problem is, the cap and the floor can't be too far apart because that defeats the whole purpose.

Lets say for arguments sake... MLB and the players association agreed to a $150 million cap. Right off the bat the Yanks, Phils and **** sox would have to trim their roster. That's fine. Understandable. But you can't drop it to $125-130 million because not only would the players association never agree, the top payroll clubs would have to completly dismantle their teams. So lets say $150 is as low as the cap can go. In order for it to work, you can't have a $60-70 million floor. That's way too much of a gap. The floor would need to be closer to $90-100 million. In 2011 we have 12 teams under $70 million. That's a huge problem. Asking a team to spend another $20-30 million... money that they might not have. And for the bottom 5 teams all under $50 million, might as well contract them as they will be bleeding money every year.

I know why people push for a cap in baseball. I get it. I just don't think it could work. Aside from the players never agreeing to it, it's pretty much gone past the point of no return. When you have the Yankees spending $200 million and the Royals spending $35 million, there is no way to find a common ground that won't end up screwing one team or the other. There simply isn't enough middle ground. I understand the frustration. But this is baseball's fault for letting it get to this. It's now at a point where it's unfixable. 10-15 years ago, before these salaries went completely insane, a cap/floor structure could have worked. Not anymore.

Old
04-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Renbarg

The Metsies won their opening series, on the road no less.

Even so, the bullpen will be tortuous to watch this year. I hope Collins can pull the plug on FRod if and when he starts f'ing it up. You can always tell with him within the first three or four pitches what kind of day it will be. I hate the way baseball is using the closer and literally managing to a stupid statistic (Save Rule). Its so ridiculously illogical.

Wright looks good. Reyes, not so much. I hope Harris can become a Chavez-like sparkplug.

We shall see, I'm just praying they somehow give me something to watch into August.

Last edited by Renbarg: 04-03-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Hipietro

Mets take two from the Fish on the road.

Can't say I expected that, but I'll take it.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
If krods option is allowed to vest I will eat my effing hat... Nice way to start season mets didn't get road series victory last year until June! I agree bullpen is gonna be up and down as it always seems to be with the mets.. Dickey looked great today his knuckler was insane.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote