Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

Swedish Leagues compared to Canada

Old
10-09-2011, 11:04 PM
pckstpr31

vCash: 500
Swedish Leagues compared to Canada

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of possibly spending some time in Sweden, and was wondering if you could give me a comparison of skill levels of leagues in Sweden to leagues in North America, specifically Canada? The leagues I'm wondering about would be

J18 Elit
J20 SuperElit
Swedish Div4
Swedish Div3
Swedish Div2
Swedish Div1
Hockey Allsvenskan
Elitserien

The only thing I think i know is that Elitserien is the Major league, and that some players are former NHL guys, or guys that are good enough that they could play in the NHL.
I would be 18 coming over, could you recommend a division that I might be able to tryout in?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by pckstpr31: 10-09-2011 at 11:13 PM.
pckstpr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:58 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pckstpr31 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of possibly spending some time in Sweden, and was wondering if you could give me a comparison of skill levels of leagues in Sweden to leagues in North America, specifically Canada? The leagues I'm wondering about would be

J18 Elit
J20 SuperElit
Swedish Div4
Swedish Div3
Swedish Div2
Swedish Div1
Hockey Allsvenskan
Elitserien

The only thing I think i know is that Elitserien is the Major league, and that some players are former NHL guys, or guys that are good enough that they could play in the NHL.
I would be 18 coming over, could you recommend a division that I might be able to tryout in?

Thanks guys!
What level did you last play at?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:15 AM
pckstpr31

Well, I've still got this year and another year left. I'm not set on going to tryout in Sweden, it was just something I'm looking into. I'm only 15 right now, second year midget. In Canada, you get 3 years of midget, and after that you have to go tryout and make a team or you can't play, unless you play like recreational. But say after my 3 years of midget are up, the last level I played was AA in Canada. Where would that leave me? Also, if you could, it would be great if you could give comparisons on leagues regardless of what you think i might make, it's always awesome to know. Thanks for the reply Wings!

Old
10-10-2011, 01:06 AM
joe89

Elitserien and HockeyAllsvenskan are the two professional leagues. HA works very much as a farm league for Elitserien, but with clubs looking to be promoted to Elitserien at the same time. HA and ECHL are probably pretty close in comparison when it comes to overall quality, however very different brand of hockey being played.

The first two leagues you mention, like their names would suggest, are the top junior leagues for respective age group. Those leagues carry most the Swedish top talent until they're mature/good enough to play in Elitserien & HockeyAllsvenskan. Difference between Sweden and North America is that the pro teams have their own junior teams aswell. To make a simple reference, J20 SuperElit is the Swedish equivalent to the CHL. Just like the men's leagues, there are lower juniors divisions aswell.

Division 1 is what I'd call a semi-professional league. Or rathers leagues because the teams playing on this level are divided into six regional leagues to begin the season. Some players get paid, some doesn't. Some clubs pay a decent amount of player salaries, some almost nothing. Still, a very competitive level with teams having up to 3000 spectators.

Division 2-4 are amateur/hobby local leagues, the full spectrum of different players. You'll find players and teams here who look to make a splash up the system, but most of them are just playing for their love to hockey.

I'll let others fill me in when it comes to try-outs(and how they actually work), but any of the J20-teams in the lower tiers or division 2-4 depending on your skill level and hockey background sounds reasonable to me. I really can't comment on how AA midget level compares into the Swedish system, but playing at any form of structured junior level guarantees you to at least get a try-out somewhere I would think. There are local teams to be found all over Sweden.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:10 AM
pckstpr31

Thanks Joe. I've done some more research on this since I posted, and figure J20 or J18 would work for me. Would you be able to give me a description of the level of play of either the J20 Elit or J18 Elit? If I'm correct those are the 2 second best junior leagues respectively, behind SuperElit? Thanks for your help!

Old
10-10-2011, 01:21 AM
joe89

That's correct, and it's a very high junior level here in Sweden. The clubs in these junior leagues have men's teams mostly playing in Elitserien, HockeyAllsvenskan and Divison 1, so they are all solid hockey clubs. J18 Elit is the highest level in Sweden for 18 year olds, J20 Elit is the second highest for its age group.

Old
10-10-2011, 01:32 AM
pckstpr31

Oh ok, so is there no J18 SuperElit, only a J20 SuperElit? Also, what is the level of play like in Divs 1 and 2 in J18 and J20? And if I'm 17 up until December the year I go, would that automatically only allow me to play J18? Sorry for all the questions, you've been a lot of help,thanks.

Old
10-10-2011, 01:44 AM
joe89

Yep, only J20 has SuperElit, which itself is divided into a North divison and South division. The league names are a bit complicated..

You're allowed to play J20 even when you're still eligible for J18, assuming you're good enough. Many of the best prospects make their way into the J20 squad when they're only 16-17. And as you might know, 17-19 year olds are no strangers to get a chance on the men's team, either.

I've never actually seen any games from the junior division 1 and 2, but players who haven't made it to one of the better local teams are likely the ones playing on that level. It's a step below for sure anyway.

Old
10-10-2011, 05:39 AM
Hockeyfrilla

I played both J18 Div 1 and J20 Div 1 and the level of play is alright. There isnt much attendance in swedish junior hockey, you play infront of friends and family. I remember Nyköping J20 had some fancy intro with flags and stuff, but there werent a ***** in the arena.

Last edited by Hockeyfrilla: 10-10-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Hockeyfrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:56 PM
pckstpr31

Thank you guys for your help. 3 last questions, if I was 17 up until December, than 18 after December during the year of play, would I be best suited to tryout for a J18 or J20 Squad? Second, is their a limit about import players trying out or being on the team? I don't know if I would classify as an import player because technically I wouldn't be going to Sweden just to play hockey, I'd be going either way but wanting to tryout, if that makes sense. Lastly, would you be able to give me a list of some J18div1 or J20div1 teams that play in the Stockholm area?

Thanks for everyones help, it's kind of hard to find a lot of info about this off the site, so thanks for answering all my questions and making it easier.

Last edited by pckstpr31: 10-10-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old
10-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Vant

Well since the structure of Swedish teams are different than in Canada it doesn't matter that much if you apply to a j18 squad or a j20 one. Since the team will send you up/down anyhow depending on how you play.

Some examples teams that got j18 and j20 squads @ decent level in Stockholm area:
Nacka HK(j20elit, j18elite)
Flemingsbergs IK(j20 elit, j18elit)
Sollentuna (j20 elit)
Järfälla (j20 elit)

The stronger juniorclubs that means j20 superelit, j18 elit
AIK(ES team)
Djurgårdens IF (ES team)
Huddinge HC (Div 1)

Though since teams change divisions in Swedish hockey this might have changed

Vant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Hi Guys,

J18 Elit
J20 SuperElit
Swedish Div4
Swedish Div3
Swedish Div2
Swedish Div1
Hockey Allsvenskan
Elitserien

Thanks guys!
...and your coming to Sweden to... go to school?.... hang out?.... visit family?
A problem you might run into is that you won't see alot of professional Jr. hockey players in Sweden, and if you have a vision of staying around for a whole season, you might need a work permit and a visa. If you try to combine hockey with school, the location of your university might dictate your hockey options.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:51 PM
pckstpr31

I would be going too just live there for a year before university, do something different. In which case I probably would be working.

Old
10-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Jonimaus

Ok off-topic here, but why Sweden? Is it partially because of hockey, or is it just a bonus?

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:16 PM
pckstpr31

I'm not really sure, I just think it would be a cool experience, and I figure I don't really want to give up playing hockey so soon, so why not tryout? It isn't a must that I make a team, I'll probably be going either way, like you said it would just be a bonus if I could continue playing while there.

Old
10-14-2011, 01:52 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
I would be going too just live there for a year before university, do something different. In which case I probably would be working.
You could study in Sweden if you want to:

http://www.studyinsweden.se/

There are an application fee 900 sek, and then tuition fees with variable cost (depending on uni and disciplin), but I do not think it is very expensive.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote