HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011/2012 Prospects Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-14-2012, 05:12 PM
  #326
King In The North
Sean Bennett
 
King In The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,180
vCash: 500
Awesome, I hope he can continue to translate this success into the pros. What's your overview of him Renegade?

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:31 PM
  #327
StreakingRed
Win For Gio
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 11,030
vCash: 500
Congrats to Brossoit on winning MVP. He looks like the real deal.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:57 PM
  #328
Fleury14
Kipper
 
Fleury14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Brossoit nominated as CHL goalie of the week after being named WHL playoff MVP last night.

You guys might just have your Kipper successor right here.
Were you watching the WHL regularly when Irving was playing? If so, how do you think the two compare long-term?

Fleury14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:11 PM
  #329
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,362
vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
Awesome, I hope he can continue to translate this success into the pros. What's your overview of him Renegade?
Well, he's a big body who plays his angles well, controls rebounds well and appears to have a fantastic mental ability while in the net. He doesn't get rattled and always has a calm demeanor, an underrated trait for a goalie. I've compared his style to a guy like Jon Quick.

He's been something special this year for Edmonton and long term he could be the guy you guys look to between the pipes.

More of my thoughts can be found here:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1190029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
Were you watching the WHL regularly when Irving was playing? If so, how do you think the two compare long-term?
Sorry, haven't seen a ton of Irving as that was a bit before my time.

__________________
Scout based in Western Canada - find me on Twitter:

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:53 PM
  #330
johnnystormcgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
I read in a scouting report that Joey Leach would probably benefit from an overage year in the dub. Would there be room on the Heat blueline for him? If you sign a prospect does he have too leave to the pro's after his 4th year or can he play in whl? Any news on him?

johnnystormcgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:36 PM
  #331
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,083
vCash: 50
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-ncaa-forwards

According to HF we have drafted 3 of the top 10 wingers in the WHL and have 2 of the top 2 top forwards in the NCAA (link above) and Graudeau in the second best prospect on the list.

Perhaps the scouting department isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:29 PM
  #332
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,729
vCash: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Perhaps the scouting department isn't as bad as some make it out to be.
I really do believe that the scouting department has improved, but our prospect pool is still in rough shape.

I'm happy with our selections in the past two drafts, but the problem is that we don't always have picks. No first or second rounder in 2010, no third in 2011 (and wouldn't have had any seconds either had we not been forced to trade Erixon). This organization has the tendency to bleed picks and fails to recoup the when given the chance (2011 and 2012 trade deadlines). A 1st for Jokinen, two 2nds to get rid of Primeau and Kotalik, a 5th for Letourneau-Leblond, a 3rd for Staois. It's totally unacceptable and is seriously hurting our ability to fill out the roster with cheap talent.

Our defensive pool is in shambles and we have no high-end centers other than Reinhart to speak of. The Flames still aren't close to having a good prospect pool.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:50 PM
  #333
Janks
Pope Janks
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,316
vCash: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
I really do believe that the scouting department has improved, but our prospect pool is still in rough shape.

I'm happy with our selections in the past two drafts, but the problem is that we don't always have picks. No first or second rounder in 2010, no third in 2011 (and wouldn't have had any seconds either had we not been forced to trade Erixon). This organization has the tendency to bleed picks and fails to recoup the when given the chance (2011 and 2012 trade deadlines). A 1st for Jokinen, two 2nds to get rid of Primeau and Kotalik, a 5th for Letourneau-Leblond, a 3rd for Staois. It's totally unacceptable and is seriously hurting our ability to fill out the roster with cheap talent.

Our defensive pool is in shambles and we have no high-end centers other than Reinhart to speak of. The Flames still aren't close to having a good prospect pool.
I fully agree with this.

We have made good selections with what we have, but we need to stop throwing picks away. I can understand giving the first away for Jokinen, as he was supposed to be our 1C, but we shouldn't be getting rid of players and shipping off picks. We could have kept/buried both Kotalik and Primeau. If we hadn't have given our 2010 pick, we could have gotten Spooner, Pickard etc. And our 2011 pick could have gotten us Tatar, Pirri etc.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:08 PM
  #334
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,083
vCash: 50
I didn't know where to post this but here is as good as any I guess

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ing-2012-21-30

Hf now has ranked at 23rd for organizations we were 26th last and 28th the year before it looks like we are trending in the right direction thanks to some good drafts now hopefully we can get a few more picks and continue our drafting ways.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:14 PM
  #335
StreakingRed
Win For Gio
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 11,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystormcgy View Post
I read in a scouting report that Joey Leach would probably benefit from an overage year in the dub. Would there be room on the Heat blueline for him? If you sign a prospect does he have too leave to the pro's after his 4th year or can he play in whl? Any news on him?


Flames will not sign Joey Leach, as per John Weisbrod on the Fan 960 right now. He will re-enter the Draft.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:35 PM
  #336
Fleury14
Kipper
 
Fleury14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Flames will not sign Joey Leach, as per John Weisbrod on the Fan 960 right now. He will re-enter the Draft.
Hmm. I've never actually seen him play but heard some good things. Seems somewhat surprising considering the current lack of early 20's youngsters on the blueline under contract. Right now, we have like Brodie, Breen, and Martin (who hardly played last year; ironically an ex-teammate of Leach).

Oh, and Lamb, who we just signed out of the NCAA.

Fleury14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:42 PM
  #337
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
Hmm. I've never actually seen him play but heard some good things. Seems somewhat surprising considering the current lack of early 20's youngsters on the blueline under contract. Right now, we have like Brodie, Breen, and Martin (who hardly played last year; ironically an ex-teammate of Leach).

Oh, and Lamb, who we just signed out of the NCAA.
Weisbrod stated that he is at least 3-4 years away and thus they would rather not waste a contract on him.

from talking to an ice fan that I have dealt with at work quite regularly he mentioned Leach being undisciplined several times, this could have played a part in it too

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 06:30 PM
  #338
nogger
TherapyforDusters
 
nogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,221
vCash: 50
Let's just re-draft him.

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:11 AM
  #339
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,083
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
Hmm. I've never actually seen him play but heard some good things. Seems somewhat surprising considering the current lack of early 20's youngsters on the blueline under contract. Right now, we have like Brodie, Breen, and Martin (who hardly played last year; ironically an ex-teammate of Leach).

Oh, and Lamb, who we just signed out of the NCAA.
Don't we still have Ramage's rights?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:42 AM
  #340
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
Let's just re-draft him.



Maybe it would confuse 29 other teams so much that it would cause them to make poor picks.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:53 AM
  #341
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post



Maybe it would confuse 29 other teams so much that it would cause them to make poor picks.
if he is available in the 6th or 7th round and it gives us 2 years more years to sign him to an ELC I would take the risk. Let him go back to the WHL as a 20 year old and then sign him to an AHL deal in year 2, then re-evaluate. However if we have less time to sign him I wouldn't pick him

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:32 AM
  #342
Fleury14
Kipper
 
Fleury14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Don't we still have Ramage's rights?
"under contract"

Fleury14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:46 AM
  #343
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Stewie Hockey™
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,935
vCash: 428
You know it's a slow offseason when Joey Leach is being discussed in three seperate threads.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:00 AM
  #344
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,083
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
"under contract"
Yes but my question stands do we not still have his rights?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:36 AM
  #345
Northern Heat
Registered User
 
Northern Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
You know it's a slow offseason when Joey Leach is being discussed in three seperate threads.
You read my mind....

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:00 AM
  #346
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Stewie Hockey™
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,935
vCash: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Don't we still have Ramage's rights?
Yes, I think there are special provisions for college players

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:10 PM
  #347
Fleury14
Kipper
 
Fleury14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Yes but my question stands do we not still have his rights?
oh, yeah... Players that go the NCAA route, you have for 4 seasons after they are drafted instead of the 2 years for CHLers/most euros.

Fleury14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:46 PM
  #348
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
oh, yeah... Players that go the NCAA route, you have for 4 seasons after they are drafted instead of the 2 years for CHLers/most euros.
its less if they leave school early a la Schultz

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 06:07 PM
  #349
Fleury14
Kipper
 
Fleury14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
its less if they leave school early a la Schultz
no, still 4 years. Schultz played an extra year in the BCHL after his draft year, as Blake Wheeler and Jason Gregoire did in their respective leagues. That's the loophole, playing an extra year at the junior A level after being drafted and before going to the NCAA.

Fleury14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:40 AM
  #350
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
no, still 4 years. Schultz played an extra year in the BCHL after his draft year, as Blake Wheeler and Jason Gregoire did in their respective leagues. That's the loophole, playing an extra year at the junior A level after being drafted and before going to the NCAA.
oh my bad, didn't realize he did that. I guess it would be similar situation if a player spent an extra year in the USHL.

But the loophole works both ways because if Schultz had stayed in school the Ducks would have retained his rights for another year.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.