HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

10/10/11 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Washington

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Well there's the keyword Boucher CTRL+Fed on Wiki.
He has a Google News Alert set for that too.

Do NHLers do any training on the VO2 bikes I see in combine videos? That seems pretty intense.

Old
10-11-2011, 09:38 PM
daboltz
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
I'm hoping for either that or Shannon. I love Shannon's work ethic and speed and he plays a strong two way game that would complement Stamkos and Marty well; only issue is having two diminuitive players on one line.
Shannon has been quite impressive and considering he's a diamond in the rough, good things to come. Just curious why we were completely 180-degrees on how we played the Canes and then the Bruins, and then against the Caps we're back to what we were with the Canes. Against the Bruins we looked like the wrong end of intimidation (I am sure that has been hashed over but just found your board... and glad to of found it).

Roli was okay vs. Caps but in the shootout I have not seen him shine. Face down on the ice is no way to hear the crowd yelling

Old
10-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Shootouts have never been Roli's forte. Ironically enough though, Garon is one of the best shootout goalies in the league.

Old
10-11-2011, 10:10 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Shootouts have never been Roli's forte. Ironically enough though, Garon is one of the best shootout goalies in the league.

And thats something that Boucher might need to investigate. I know its only been done ONCE in the entire history of the shootout, but I wonder how off the wall it would be to have Garon go in for the shootouts if Roli is in net. I also wonder what that would do to Roli's psyche if anything at all.

Im not saying its an answer, but Id be lying if I said I didnt think it was an interesting thought. Have Garon start warming up in the hall during OT. If it doesnt get to the SO no big deal, if it does at least hes stretched a bit before going in. Its not a true game situation so I would think putting him in cold like that isnt the worst thing in the world.

Old
10-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Hey guys, just curios..how has Gilroy been thus far?

Old
10-11-2011, 10:34 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Hey guys, just curios..how has Gilroy been thus far?
Not great. You can see the skills he has, it WILL work with this system and he will shine IMO. But right now hes struggling a little bit with the mental side of the game and learning the system and when and where he should be doing something. It will come. Hopefully sooner rather than later though.

Old
10-11-2011, 10:41 PM
daboltz
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
And thats something that Boucher might need to investigate. I know its only been done ONCE in the entire history of the shootout, but I wonder how off the wall it would be to have Garon go in for the shootouts if Roli is in net. I also wonder what that would do to Roli's psyche if anything at all.
Hopefully Roli would do what's best for the team. Can we sub a goalie just for the shootout? If not, stick Garon in for OT (as long as we have some D to stick in front of him which didn't seem to happen in Boston).

Old
10-11-2011, 10:44 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboltz View Post
Hopefully Roli would do what's best for the team. Can we sub a goalie just for the shootout? If not, stick Garon in for OT (as long as we have some D to stick in front of him which didn't seem to happen in Boston).

We can put a goalie in just for the shootout its just a very very very unconventional move. It might not even be the smartest thing but I think its interesting to think about.

Old
10-11-2011, 11:05 PM
daboltz
Rookie User

Quote:
We can put a goalie in just for the shootout its just a very very very unconventional move. It might not even be the smartest thing but I think its interesting to think about.
The Lightning and Boucher do something unconventional???

Just kidding, I think that is often what gives us the edge. If Roli can't cut it during the shoot outs, I would hope Boucher would do whatever is needed. Don't know the history of Garon but saw some of him giving up a load of goals to the Habs in pre-season and then to the Bruins, but that one I put more on the (lack of) D. You think he's slated to be a starter (I don't see Roli doing this for many more years)?

Old
10-11-2011, 11:37 PM
LateNightOilerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Quote:

Im not saying its an answer, but Id be lying if I said I didnt think it was an interesting thought. Have Garon start warming up in the hall during OT. If it doesnt get to the SO no big deal, if it does at least hes stretched a bit before going in. Its not a true game situation so I would think putting him in cold like that isnt the worst thing in the world.
Actually, I think it's been done twice - the Oilers did it with Ty Conklin replacing Mike Morrison and the Leafs did it with Cujo replacing Toskala. Both ended up losing.

Over the years I've seen Roli do very well in the SO, but yes he has had some bad ones, like last night. I think I would be very cautious with that strategy though.

If you look at the stats season by season, for the each of the past 3 years Roli has been better than Garon (10/11 .750 vs .667; 09/10 .615 vs .556; 08/09 .792 vs .667). Overall for the past 3 years Roli is .701 vs .606 for Garon. Mind you, perhaps Garon's stats are skewed because he has been in fewer SO's compared to Roli over that span (33 shots vs 87 for Roli).

Garon did very well in 07/08 in the shootout, in fact he was downright amazing & led the league that year - he only gave up 2 goals in 32 attempts. He was also very good in 05/06. but he hasn't been all that impressive statistically since 07/08, not sure why.

What's funny about the stats is that Garon is better than Roli on the road (.838 vs .654) and Roli is better than Garon at home (.714 vs .694). Overall, career wise Garon is .748 vs Roli .678 but I'm curious why the past few years he hasn't been that great.

Career stats are here and if you want to look at season by season you change the report to 'Goalies' instead of 'Active Goalies-Career':

http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats...ieCareerTotals

My personal view is if you pull any goalie from the SO, you're going to have a very unhappy goalie, but if he continues to struggle and you decide to go that way, it had better be explained in advance. Roli knows the win for the team is the most important thing, but he is so competitive and into the game that I think he'd have to know in advance of the possibility of being pulled. I think you are flirting with the danger of injury to the guy going in cold though. Garon relies on a lot of split saves, might not be as simple as warming up in the hallway. But unless there is a marked difference between the two in the current year, it's kind of hard to justify the decision when Roli has done better than Garon in recent years.

Hopefully Roli will be ok if he gives up on the poke check approach. I don't remember him using that too often in the SO before now.

Old
10-12-2011, 06:39 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

The thing about pokechecking in the SO is that it's something that a goalie can come to subconsciously rely on from doing in practice.

I'd say it has as much to do with the Lightning players falling for it when they're doing those SO type competitions.

Roli might think that because he knows the situation is coming, he can be a participant, and he's right, but he's also the one who has to protect the net first, and to jump on opportunities that prevent a shot from happening, second.

Nate Thompson had a good run in camp with the SO, but when he tried to do that for realz, it wasn't nearly enough. He also grossly overestimated the amount of space he had left.

They've probably figured all this out by now though. I'm surprised Guy let Gary handle the SO. They should just get rid of that him (Gary), he's useless.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-12-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old
10-12-2011, 10:17 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
More actual shooting the puck and less trying to go for a pretty move next time please.

Edit:
Quote:
TBLightning Tampa Bay Lightning
Mattias Ritola will play tomorrow against the Islanders.
http://twitter.com/#!/TBLightning

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 10-12-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old
10-12-2011, 11:15 AM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
More actual shooting the puck and less trying to go for a pretty move next time please.

Edit:
I am just curious why this is tweetable news? Will his 6 min make a difference? Why is he just reported on? Who else will play 3rd and 4th lines? Weird.

Old
10-12-2011, 11:34 AM
BoltsFan2000

Anyone going to the game next monday? Will be there excited for all the new changes made to the forum!

Old
10-12-2011, 06:46 PM
daboltz
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltsFan2000 View Post
Anyone going to the game next monday? Will be there excited for all the new changes made to the forum!
We were there at the only pre-season home game, knocked the Panthers around pretty good. Going Monday and hope to see it again. Also went to the Lightning Launch but lots of construction still around but good to see the players all there. Got the hockey juices flowing.

So what's up with the Van der Graaf generator? Where's it gonna be? And when they gonna us it?

Old
10-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:

Edit: [Ritola]
Speak of the devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTownUSA View Post
I am just curious why this is tweetable news? Will his 6 min make a difference? Why is he just reported on? Who else will play 3rd and 4th lines? Weird.
We have a few minutemen waiting to go at forward. Ritola is 1/3. The other two get to participate in the Guy Boucher Pressbox Experience.

I don't get why they're doing this tomorrow. SFY or Boucher should probably just tell Ritola he's being demoted before letting Jones and Pyatt know.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-12-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Closed Thread