HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Markov ,is it worth the wait ??

Old
10-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Patccmoi

vCash: 500
To me it's simple : what's the ceiling of your team with Markov vs without Markov? The ceiling with Markov is so much higher than with pretty much anyone you could trade him for.

Frankly, I would be happy that they kept him even if he is hurt all season if he is ok next season. Because winning a cup is all about having a team peaking at the same time and everything going your way. If for one season we can have our team healthy (let's say all the core pieces anyway, obviously you might miss 1-2 decent players at some point, but say you have 8/9 of your top forwards, your top 2 D and 3/4 of the others healthy that's good enough), than having Markov is what can push us over the top and allow us to win the Cup.

Because Markov + Subban is one of the strongest #1-2D in the league if both are healthy (no matter if they're paired or not, if they aren't then it means you have one or the other on the ice something like 50 min per game). Having those 2 + Price in net alone makes us a scary team to play against.

Markov is worth the wait. Yes it sucks that he's been injured so much lately, but unless it turns out he never plays again (which is unlikely) then I'm happy we kept him because of where it puts our potential. You don't win a cup by being a 'pretty good' team, which the Habs are without him. You win it by being a powerhouse, and I think that a healthy Markov (with the rest of the line-up in decent shape obviously) actually makes us pretty close to that.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:09 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
What can you do for me TODAY...
If you be talking to Markov...

"Heal quickly and be in top shape as soon as possible to make my team win easier. Also help the integration of young Emelin into an alien society that will soon enough adorate him."

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:38 PM
paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
If you be talking to Markov...

"Heal quickly and be in top shape as soon as possible to make my team win easier. Also help the integration of young Emelin into an alien society that will soon enough adorate him."
Was just being sarcastic about people who keep crapping on the Markov signing.

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:39 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
To me it's simple : what's the ceiling of your team with Markov vs without Markov? The ceiling with Markov is so much higher than with pretty much anyone you could trade him for.

Frankly, I would be happy that they kept him even if he is hurt all season if he is ok next season. Because winning a cup is all about having a team peaking at the same time and everything going your way. If for one season we can have our team healthy (let's say all the core pieces anyway, obviously you might miss 1-2 decent players at some point, but say you have 8/9 of your top forwards, your top 2 D and 3/4 of the others healthy that's good enough), than having Markov is what can push us over the top and allow us to win the Cup.

Because Markov + Subban is one of the strongest #1-2D in the league if both are healthy (no matter if they're paired or not, if they aren't then it means you have one or the other on the ice something like 50 min per game). Having those 2 + Price in net alone makes us a scary team to play against.

Markov is worth the wait. Yes it sucks that he's been injured so much lately, but unless it turns out he never plays again (which is unlikely) then I'm happy we kept him because of where it puts our potential. You don't win a cup by being a 'pretty good' team, which the Habs are without him. You win it by being a powerhouse, and I think that a healthy Markov (with the rest of the line-up in decent shape obviously) actually makes us pretty close to that.
This. Plus the doctors must have seen that he'd be ok over the long haul. Easily our most valuable player (in all three zones and in all situations) when healthy.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Great play that they should have traded when his value was at its highest. The recent GM's in this city have a bad habit of hanging on to people way too long instead of trading them when they can receive a nice return.

Serge Savard was decent at this. I know it doesn't always work out, but I gotta give credit to other teams that share the same philosophy like Philly, Colorado etc.
Congrats, only after 2 games, you've already managed to have one of your post nominated for the "WTF post of the year" award handed out at the end of the year

Ya, Serge Savard was great for this, trading Chelios for Denis Savard was probably is best trade EVA!

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:03 PM
habsrule22

yes the wait will be worth it

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Gainey#1*

I think why people are getting frustrated is the lack of coverage on Markov's recovery by our management.

If they came out and said Markov won't return until January, I think a lot of us would relax knowing that we have a timetable to refer to.
However, nobody has the slightest clue about how Markov is doing. We don't know if he will be back the 1st week of November, or the 1st week of February. That is what is frustrating on my part.

Not to mention, now rumors are surfacing that Markov isn't skating period? Not even on his own...

I wish the team would clarify everything for once and for all, instead of all this speculation.

Having said all of this, Markov is our BEST player. He is worth the wait, and I can't wait to see him return 100% healthy and ready to go.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:26 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
One word: Overreaction!

People forget that Markov is the best PP general in the NHL and able to shut down other teams top lines.

Of course if he is never coming back or his injury affect his game in a way that he is not able to help us (which I very doubt since markov game was not about his physical or skating game and a more cerebral one) then yes we could say that markov was not worth the wait.
Lmao

Is this real life?

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:31 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Lmao

Is this real life?
When he plays our team is usually a top PP team. When he doesn't we aren't. Who else changes a teams powerplay that drastically, list some good examples please.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:35 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
When he plays our team is usually a top PP team. When he doesn't we aren't. Who else changes a teams powerplay that drastically, list some good examples please.
Chara, Thornton, Weber, STamkos.

Old
10-10-2011, 04:37 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
you know what "General" means right ?

besides, note the quality of players you listed as better than Markov on PP...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:38 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you know what "General" means right ?

besides, note the quality of players you listed as better than Markov on PP...
You think those PPs aren't based around those players?

Old
10-10-2011, 04:40 PM
icerocket

And I like how the Habs still finished 7th in PP % without Markov.

Old
10-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Lmao

Is this real life?
I see you are from atlantis so on your parallel life Markov might not be but on todays life yes he was when healthy the top PP General / Quarterback whatever term you prefer.

He is the best at distributing the puck and creating scoring chances no matter what you might believe.

As for your examplesn they are laughables.
Stamkos, Weber, Chara are well known for their shots but not their puck distribution. And Thornton is a great playmaker but no where near as effective as Markov was.

Markov surrounding cast over the years was very crappy(and clearly not on par with what we currently have) but he still was the main piece in the best PP 2 years running.

Markov never really had the chance to play for a long period with likes of Cammalleri , Gionta, Subban and all.

Last edited by Jeffrey: 10-10-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:48 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
And I like how the Habs still finished 7th in PP % without Markov.
In his last full season Markov led all defensemen in PP points, including more than Mike Green. He was 6th overall also, only behind Crosby Ovechkin Malkin Backstrom and Kozlov(lol). If you discount Kovalev Markov even had more than double the PP points of the next Hab.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:54 PM
icerocket

JM's system for the PP is what makes the Habs such a good PP.

Last year's 7th place is proof of that.

Old
10-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Andy

Quote:
JM's system for the PP is what makes the Habs such a good PP.

Last year's 7th place is proof of that.
What explains the high PP% under Carbo? Was it martin's system then as well?

You do realize that every time Markov got hurt, the PP immediately plummeted until we got Subban and Wisniewski.

Also under Martin's 1st year with the team, the PP was pretty average until markov returned.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
I think why people are getting frustrated is the lack of coverage on Markov's recovery by our management.

If they came out and said Markov won't return until January, I think a lot of us would relax knowing that we have a timetable to refer to.
However, nobody has the slightest clue about how Markov is doing. We don't know if he will be back the 1st week of November, or the 1st week of February. That is what is frustrating on my part.

Not to mention, now rumors are surfacing that Markov isn't skating period? Not even on his own...

I wish the team would clarify everything for once and for all, instead of all this speculation.

Having said all of this, Markov is our BEST player. He is worth the wait, and I can't wait to see him return 100% healthy and ready to go.
This sums it up for me. I don't appreciate being sold a theoretical Markov whose return date and effectiveness remain in limbo. I'm okay with a delay, as long as I know how the real Markov is progressing.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:27 PM
JIMVINNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
What explains the high PP% under Carbo? Was it martin's system then as well?

You do realize that every time Markov got hurt, the PP immediately plummeted until we got Subban and Wisniewski.

Also under Martin's 1st year with the team, the PP was pretty average until markov returned.
It wasn't average at all. If I remember correctly, it sucked. Like bottom 5 in the league sucked. When Markov came back, the improvement was so drastic that the PP was top ten by the end of the year.

JIMVINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:29 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He is worth the wait now that the team has him for 3 more years. He just wasn't worth the 3 years.
Pretty much sums it up. We have no choice but to wait for the next 3 years.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:35 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Alright and what rank were those teams PP in the regular and post season?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:37 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
He is worth the wait and with any luck it should not be much longer. I prefer they wait a little longer and make sure things are 100% then rush him for nothing and risk setting him back.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Beendair Donedat

It all depends which Markov is coming back and IF he's coming back anytime soon.

If its the Markov that can play at an elite level and dominate the game like before than sure he's worth the wait.... If its a Markov that is a shadow of his former self, continues to be injury prone and can't produce at similar levels than quite frankly the answer is a resounding No.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:22 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Great play that they should have traded when his value was at its highest. The recent GM's in this city have a bad habit of hanging on to people way too long instead of trading them when they can receive a nice return.

Serge Savard was decent at this. I know it doesn't always work out, but I gotta give credit to other teams that share the same philosophy like Philly, Colorado etc.
Agreed 100% ....wake up dudes Markov will never be the Markov of old

a waste of money

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:30 PM
sampollock

they are playnig it safe, and you can blame them,

p.s. but hurray , lol

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote