HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Make no mistake: L-Lowe screwed it up

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2004, 11:52 PM
PunjabiOil*

vCash: 500
Make no mistake: L-Lowe screwed it up

Kevin Lowe,

There's a UFA that WANTS to play in Edmonton. A solid offensive game, great wrist shot, excellent on the PP. Not a defensive liability either. Way to low ball him at 8 million Lowe! If I were Nedved, I'd be pretty disgusted too.

If reports are correct, the Oilers were 1 million apart over 3 years. JUST 1 million....do the math...that's 333K per season? You just lost some ticket sale revenue by not taking advantage of your number one option for the number one center position.

What amazed me is you lost Nedved over 333K a year, despite knowing that the lack of a number one center was a key reason why the team missed the playoffs.

It was a dumb risk to low ball the offer, assuming their wouldn't be any interest out there.

1 million over 3 years isn't that much, and when you look at it, those horrific signings of Dopita (1 million buyout) , and Oates (1.5 million) should have encouraged you to get a deal done.

What also hurts is that now we'll have to give up our assets to get that number 1 center we really need.

With no Salo (3.9 mill), Oates (1.5 million), and 500K paycut to Brad Isbister, there is no way Lowe should be crying about the budget. You had room Lowe....you had it.

Speaking of budget, it was you who overpaid Conklin by about 400K. It was you giving JDD a 650K signing bonus, paying him more than Cam Ward. If was you who extended Staios contract too quickly, overpaying him. It was you who gave Jani Rita a 1 million dollar signing bonus, even though you didn't plan to use him, except for the odd time with Scott Fergueson as his linemate.

What hurts more is that Sutter outsmarted you again. He fills his lack of a number 1 center priority, by trading away for a pretty low price. Calgary and Phoenix became better teams today. Columbus, Chicago, Minnesota are all going to become better. What the hell have you done this offseason? Get out there and improve your team....this city will not put up with another playoff miss.

This mistake is one that will hurt uf for the next 3 years if you don't do something now.

I plan to not to go to any Oilers game until you clean up his own mess and find that number on center. There is no way this team is going to be any successful with York and Horcoff as the 1/2 centers.

It's one thing to have a Lowe budget, but a different thing if you shoot yourself in the foot. A Nedved last year could have added us 6-8 more points, IMO. That could have been the difference from 9th to 5th.

I am just disgusted right now. I spend tons of time following the team, reading newspapers and message board for Oiler content. Heck, I even risked spending a year more in University (it was possible I wouldn't have been have accepted into the B-com program at the U), by going/watching Oilers games night before midterms and finals. This was a perfect time for Lowe to reward loyal fans, and instead we get this.

Last edited by Jim_Harnock: 08-27-2004 at 03:36 PM.
Old
08-26-2004, 11:57 PM
outKast*

Thanks Sundeep. You're saying everything i've been trying to say but you have way better communication skills than I. Great work. Lowe is a dumbass. His head is not in the right place. The Oilers should be his main priority. Not Team Canada

Old
08-26-2004, 11:58 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

very good points. I can't agree with you more. Let's hope plan B doesn't include grave robbing again.

Old
08-27-2004, 12:07 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I'll say what I posted in another thread:

Although I'm not as angered as many others around here, I can understand why many are questioning whether current management is really doing everything they can to win. I don't happen to think this is the end of the world, even if the Oilers don't acquire another centerman before next season. Improved goaltending should at the very least give us better chances to win on more nights; whether it'll be enough to get us into the playoffs is another matter entirely though. However, the team as it stands now is not good enough to make it far into the playoffs, if they should even make them.

And THAT is why I think many fans are disgusted with this turn of events. It seems as if the team is stuck in a perpetual loop, forever destined to finish 7th to 12th and get knocked out in the first round. This is the very definition of spinning your wheels, and it's only a matter of time before the engine overheats and the car has to go in for a massive overhaul.

Signing Nedved would have been a move that indicated some sort of forward progress, IMO, and since it didn't happen, fans are frustrated, and rightly so.

Old
08-27-2004, 12:10 AM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
I agree with most of your points but there's not much we can do about it now.

Hopefully Lowe will have a statement soon that speaks his side of the issue because it doesn't look too great at the moment. I don't think it's as huge a loss as some people are making it out to be though. Although Nedved was great here for the 15 or so games he was he has shown a lot of inconsistency during his career. Who knows what would have happened over the next three years.

Old
08-27-2004, 12:16 AM
SerbianEagle

After thinking about it, I am kinda glad they didn't sign him. Why?

Well when there is a Oilers "PowerPlay" next season, I can do either of:

1)Go for a washroom break;
2)Get a beer;
3)Use the phone to call someone;
4)Check other scores tha night

because I won't be missing any Oiler scoring.

Old
08-27-2004, 12:28 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
After thinking about it, I am kinda glad they didn't sign him. Why?

Well when there is a Oilers "PowerPlay" next season, I can do either of:

1)Go for a washroom break;
2)Get a beer;
3)Use the phone to call someone;
4)Check other scores tha night

because I won't be missing any Oiler scoring.
You forgot "boo as the other team scores again to complete a remarkable comeback"

Old
08-27-2004, 12:39 AM
oiler4ever

You are overreacting.

Old
08-27-2004, 12:40 AM
SerbianEagle

Aren't we all today.

Old
08-27-2004, 12:41 AM
The Rage

Do we have to have 50 Nedved threads? C'mon, if you want to say something there's alot of threads already there.

Old
08-27-2004, 12:42 AM
Cerebral

Just as many people would be complaining that Lowe overpaid on a contract again if he signed Nedved to what he was demanding. It was a no-win situation... Lowe just better have an alternative option ready...

Old
08-27-2004, 12:46 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Just as many people would be complaining that Lowe overpaid on a contract again if he signed Nedved to what he was demanding. It was a no-win situation... Lowe just better have an alternative option ready...
And they'd be complaining about something miniscule and not really important, let them whine over 400k a year.....

Old
08-27-2004, 01:09 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
And they'd be complaining about something miniscule and not really important, let them whine over 400k a year.....
I think you're over-reacting a smidge. I will be disappointed as well if Lowe hasn't dealt with our problem down the middle by the time the season starts but give him a chance to address the situation. He may have an alternative option that he feels will help the Oilers more than paying Nedved $3.3 million/year. I'm going to wait until the season starts to see if Lowe deserves being criticized... there are still a number of possibilities out there.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:14 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
I'm going to wait until the season starts to see if Lowe deserves being criticized... there are still a number of possibilities out there.
That may be a long wait...

And I think that is what Lowe is banking on.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:30 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned
That may be a long wait...

And I think that is what Lowe is banking on.
It could be very interesting if Lowe is correct as well...

Old
08-27-2004, 01:39 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep Malhi
Way to low ball him at 8 million Lowe!
Uh... that's what Nedved signed for in Phoenix...

Old
08-27-2004, 01:43 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
I think you're over-reacting a smidge. I will be disappointed as well if Lowe hasn't dealt with our problem down the middle by the time the season starts but give him a chance to address the situation. He may have an alternative option that he feels will help the Oilers more than paying Nedved $3.3 million/year. I'm going to wait until the season starts to see if Lowe deserves being criticized... there are still a number of possibilities out there.
And as I pointed out, they are inferior, or cost more assets.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:49 AM
The Rage

Quote:
The goal of hockey is to score more goals than your opponent. Nedved doesn't really help you do that, certainly not so much that he is worth 3 million.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:59 AM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Nedved doesn't really help you do that, certainly not so much that he is worth 3 million.
He would without a doubt help this team score goals. What are playoffs worth nowdays?

Old
08-27-2004, 02:03 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
It could be very interesting if Lowe is correct as well...
Not as interesting as if he's wrong...

But I do agree with you generally. I will wait until the season begins before criticizing Lowe. If he makes a move before then that impresses, then this whole Nedved/Langkow affair may eventually be replaced with threads about another centerman.

Old
08-27-2004, 02:13 AM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by York16
Uh... that's what Nedved signed for in Phoenix...
Really? link?

If you're right, I have some crow to eat.

Old
08-27-2004, 02:13 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
I personally feel that Zhamnov > Nedved. Granted he isn't the goal scorer that Nedved is but he would definitely help Smyth get back over the 30 goal mark. A healthy Lindros/Allison would both be better than Nedved but that is just a pipedream... Demitra would be an awesome acquisition for Lowe if he could get him to sign for around $3.5 million/season but I don't think that's going to happen. I stand by my stance, I'm going to wait and see how Lowe responds to this till I criticize. Other teams in the West have made a lot of moves to get better and I'm certainly hoping that Lowe at least addresses our situation up the middle before the season starts...

Old
08-27-2004, 02:29 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
He would without a doubt help this team score goals. What are playoffs worth nowdays?
Scoring goals doesn't helping you win, scoring MORE goals than the other team helps you win. That's where Nedved has problems (i.e. he licks a nut defensively).

Old
08-27-2004, 02:44 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep Malhi
Really? link?

If you're right, I have some crow to eat.
Right here: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1830559&postcount=38

Old
08-27-2004, 09:06 AM
Meanashell11

If Lowe had any kind of track record of pulling rabbits out of his hat I may say wait till the season starts and see what he does by then before blaming Lowe, but he has not proven that he can bag us a #1 center since weight left. I am very disappointed and no longer think he is the guy to lead this team back to where it belongs. This sucks, Lowe sucks...

Closed Thread