HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Where in the World is Kirill Kabanov ?

Old
10-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Lucky Luke

vCash: 500
Kabanov arrives in Shawinigan today.
The Cataractes will host this year's CHL Memorial Cup, the crown jewel of Canadian Junior hockey.

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:46 AM
swedishhockeysupport

He might take a holiday wherever he wants to. He shall be ready for his first game in Sweden this thursday as it is right now. You shall not be so certain of this until Islanders have spoken.

swedishhockeysupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:53 AM
swedishhockeysupport

I see that he has made official statements about playing in Shawinigan Cataractes. He and the junior system can't decide this. I wait for Islanders, but i think you will win this one! They will hush it down, maybe some money under the table ( or another player ) from Islanders to Farjestad.

NHL misuse of power once again. I would never tolerate this.

edit. Probably your NHL team will act like chickens and not comments this at all? ( they think that they have to much class, can't get dirt on their hands because of some junior player? ) Let's see. Money under table, hush hush or another player from AHL or so will be my guess. I hope the Islanders organisation will prove me wrong.

Last edited by swedishhockeysupport: 10-15-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old
10-15-2011, 10:35 AM
JKP

Thrilled KK is going to Shawinigan. A nice small town to keep him focused on hockey (and learning french) and with the Mem cup experience to boot! This is the best possible scenario, IMO.

As for whether he should be playing in Sweden or not, once he was cut from the Isles, if he stays in North America, he belongs to his junior team. I can get why if I was a Swedish hockey fan I'd be annoyed at this, but we don't know the particulars (or if it even violates the contract given that he's playing amateur hockey in the CHL) and, more importantly, going to Shawinigan is the best fit for the player's development at this point.

And the best part is I'll get to see him play in Halifax in Feb against the Mooseheads!

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:20 AM
pattyb91

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishhockeysupport View Post
He might take a holiday wherever he wants to. He shall be ready for his first game in Sweden this thursday as it is right now. You shall not be so certain of this until Islanders have spoken.
The Islanders had NO say in any of this....they finished their job when they assigned him to Juniors weeks ago. Kabanov had many offers on the table from SEL, KHL, and QMJHL teams...he narrowed it down the Shawinigan, Farjestad BK, and one other SEL club (I can't say which)....It came close with Farjestad BK, but he ultimately decided to go to Shawinigan because he wanted to play in the Memorial Cup and because he REALLY wanted to stay in North America.

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:25 AM
swedishhockeysupport

I see, it is Islanders that is to blame then. They contacted Farjestad and promised Mr Kabanov. They will pay for this in one way or another.

Old
10-15-2011, 11:30 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
I see, it is Islanders that is to blame then. They contacted Farjestad and promised Mr Kabanov. They will pay for this in one way or another.
How can the Isles promise the rights to a player that they do not currently own? KK cannot play in the AHL, and did not make the NHL team. He was sent down to the Q, at which point he was no longer on the roster due to foreign player limitations.

This was either done by KK's camp or loaned out by his QMJHL team. Am I missing something here?

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Isles72

Quote:
dude , get over it .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:38 AM
swedishhockeysupport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
How can the Isles promise the rights to a player that they do not currently own? KK cannot play in the AHL, and did not make the NHL team. He was sent down to the Q, at which point he was no longer on the roster due to foreign player limitations.

This was either done by KK's camp or loaned out by his QMJHL team. Am I missing something here?
Yes, this sounds no good, but the fact is that Mr Rundqvist, according to him, has been contacted by the Islanders managment, and they have done a deal ( behind Kabanovs back perhaps? I don't know at all ).

FBK didn't hunt for Kabanov at all, Islanders just contacted the club and the contract seems valid according to swedish sources., But i understand if Islanders have nothing to say about this. Fine, send another good player and i think FBK will feel alright with this. What about Franz Nielsen?

Old
10-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
They will pay for this in one way or another.
I LOL'd at this!

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:43 AM
swedishhockeysupport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
dude , get over it .
You get over it. This isn't 20 years ago. If Farjestad insists, Islanders will pay up in one way or another ( i don't say they will care, but sure they will pay something ). They have broken the rules it seems according to you.

Old
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
I see that he has made official statements about playing in Shawinigan Cataractes. He and the junior system can't decide this. I wait for Islanders, but i think you will win this one! They will hush it down, maybe some money under the table ( or another player ) from Islanders to Farjestad.

NHL misuse of power once again. I would never tolerate this.

edit. Probably your NHL team will act like chickens and not comments this at all? ( they think that they have to much class, can't get dirt on their hands because of some junior player? ) Let's see. Money under table, hush hush or another player from AHL or so will be my guess. I hope the Islanders organisation will prove me wrong.
i wouldn't read too much into this.

I wouldn't think Farjestad would care that much, it's not like they would be getting Pavel Bure. Kabanov isn't really worth any fighting over. Kabanov is best suited for the Q, playing against junior players - it's at THAT LEVEL that he needs to prove himself.

I'd say the SEL is probably a notch above the AHL in quality of competition (at least it's close), this would be a big jump for Kabanov, a good test for him for sure, but I don't think anyone would have the expectation that he'd be a difference maker in a men's league.

At absolute best, I'd expect an Anton Lander type player in Sweden - but probably not as good. Certainly not as good as, say, Linus Omark was. Rob Schremp is a modest player in that league, statistically anyway, and he's 26.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OpAck

Quote:
Fine, send another good player and i think FBK will feel alright with this. What about Franz Nielsen?
Haha! lol That's a good one...I'm sure the Islanders org, NHL and especially NHLPA would go right along with that.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:44 AM
KO21

Quote:
Yes, this sounds no good, but the fact is that Mr Rundqvist, according to him, has been contacted by the Islanders managment, and they have done a deal ( behind Kabanovs back perhaps? I don't know at all ).

FBK didn't hunt for Kabanov at all, Islanders just contacted the club and the contract seems valid according to swedish sources., But i understand if Islanders have nothing to say about this. Fine, send another good player and i think FBK will feel alright with this. What about Franz Nielsen?
haha..good one..

KO21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:50 AM
swedishhockeysupport

I think you got my joke about Nielsen. Let's see what comes out of this, but i don't understand your arrogance ( some of you )?

If you don't follow the rules you pay ( how much or little is another question ). Sure you could be nice some times and not follow the rules just as strictly, but i don't like this particular situation, at all.

Old
10-15-2011, 11:50 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:

You already have two barely-prospects in Jesse Joensuu and Robin Figren, they are having modest success in the SEL, played poorly in the AHL.

I think you're over-estimating how important Kabanov is/would be to Farjestad. All the Islanders care about is player development, regardless of where it happens. They pulled Okposo out of College (Minnesota NCAA) because they felt he wasn't developing. Yet they were fine with Ness staying in the same program even though he hadn't show much improvement. (This is ultimately a player's decision but the NHL team certainly has influence).

Farjestad has much better options than Kabanov. There must be dozens of players that will not stick with their NHL clubs, that won't want to play in the AHL, that would be prime targets for the SEL. Jeff Tambellini TYPES.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 12:33 PM
pattyb91

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:
I think you, or the media is confused.....when Kabanov's agent was negotiating with Farjestad, they needed permission from the Isles because what would be the point of negotiating with Kabby if the Isles would say no once it was agreed upon. The Islanders said sure if he wants to go there its fine by us, but nothing came out of those negotiations so the Islanders permission means nothing.

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 12:41 PM
IslesNorway

What exactly is the point of arguing over this? I think the simple facts of this case is that the Isles signed KK to actually have some control of his future. They knew his QMJHL team had folded and that he could actually end up with nowhere to play. Then they kept him in camp for as long as possible whilst trying to figure out a place for him to play.

As he can't play in the AHL the answer was either juniors or Europe and as he could not play for his junior team because they had no room they contacted Färjestad and made some kind of deal with them. Then all of a sudden he's traded to Shawinigan and this comes a day or two after the FBK deal.

I can only assume that it is KK's agent who's behind the trade to Shawinigan to keep him from going to Sweden but ultimately it will be Isles (or their lawyers) who'll make the final decision as they are his employers now. Why on earth would the Isles trigger a trade days after doing a deal in Sweden? That makes no sense so I think it must be someone in KKs camp behind it all

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post

I don't think that's quite accurate. Even though he was sent down, the Isles still own Kabanov's rights, and ultimately have final say on where he plays. I'm sure his agent can approach the Isles and ask if he can go somewhere (ie. to Sweden), but the Isles, as far as I know, have final say.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:02 PM
JKP

Who cares. He's in Shawinigan. He's where he should be. He'll play in the Mem cup, great experience. Enough with the Sweden silliness.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I don't think that's quite accurate. Even though he was sent down, the Isles still own Kabanov's rights, and ultimately have final say on where he plays. I'm sure his agent can approach the Isles and ask if he can go somewhere (ie. to Sweden), but the Isles, as far as I know, have final say.
The Isles don't really have final say. With the transfer agreement, he can't play in Europe without the Islanders permission since he's under contract. But if the Islanders want him to play in Europe and he wants to play in the CHL, there's really not a lot the Islanders can do to force him to do so, they can't really block him from playing in the CHL other than to keep him on the NHL roster.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 05:43 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
The winner takes it all.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:46 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
The Isles don't really have final say. With the transfer agreement, he can't play in Europe without the Islanders permission since he's under contract. But if the Islanders want him to play in Europe and he wants to play in the CHL, there's really not a lot the Islanders can do to force him to do so, they can't really block him from playing in the CHL other than to keep him on the NHL roster.
Why don't the Islanders have the final say? He is technically an Islanders player and as such they should decide where he plays. Is he contacted to his junior team in a deal that's more legally binding than the one with the Isles? I'm sure they're happy with the Shawinigan trade but if they'd rather want him in Sweden then that's where he'll end up although I think they're gonna keep him closer to home.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 05:26 AM
drive45

loan to FBK?

word has it on the Swedish board that KK might be on loan to Färjestad till Nov 6, when he will report to Shawinigan.

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:35 AM
swedishhockeysupport

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1003949

If you mean this, it's mean nothing at all. Eliteprospects it's just a site, swedish i guess which will report transfers. They have reported both Mr Kabanovs Transfer to Farjestad and to the other Q team. He stands listed as of now, as both FBK and Q player. They will remove him from the FBK rooster as soon as official news will come about him playing this year in North America ( if this is the case which i believe ).

I have looked at the Bridgeport rooster, but i don't know which forward i shall pick, will you help me? Top secret: They say, if we don't find anyone at Bridgeport, maybe just maybe they have a free pick from the Islanders! Maybe even 2picks!