HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Fernholm & Salmonsson Update Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2004, 04:52 AM
Roholte

vCash: 500
Fernholm & Salmonsson Update Thread

Hey folks.

I plan on keeping a close eye on Djurgården's SEL team this year, since we currently have two great prospects playing there - Daniel Fernholm and Johannes Salmonsson. So I thought I'd create a thread for updates on how Djurgården is doing, and specifically how the two Penguins prospects are doing (both are Penguins fans too btw, in case some of you didn't know).

Djurgården is currently participating in a pre-season tournament in Finland. After this they're off to another pre-season tourney in Norway, and then it's on to Switzerland for the final pre-season games (with a short stop back in Sweden in between). They open the season on September 21st at home against Södertälje.

So far Djurgården has played two pre-season games. They started off by beating the Allsvenskan team Almtuna 7-1. Salmonsson scored two goals (the first and fourth) and added an assist (on the final goal). Fernholm scored the fifth goal on a slapper right after a Djurgården power-play had expired.

The second game was on Wednesday against TPS Turku in the current tournament in Finland, a game which ended in a 5-1 loss for Djurgården. As I understand it the Finnish teams are further ahead in their season preparations, so I wouldn't put much in the result. Besides, Djurgården is working in a new system this year. From what I gather they're not completely abandoning the torpedo system, but rather they're taking the best from that system while adding some new ideas and changing the positionings on the ice a bit.

Anyway, Salmonsson was one of the three players, who coach Niklas Wikegård singled out as "bright sides" in the game. In both games Salmonsson has been playing with team captain and veteran, Micke Johansson, who's played several major tournaments with Team Sweden over the years, and is considered one of the best playmakers in the league. I'd expect Salmonsson to learn a lot from him if this continues. In addition, he's stated that his shoulder hasn't bothered him at all.

I'm not sure Fernholm played in the game. He's normally in the top fiver, and most of the top fiver were listed as substitutes (they also played the back-up goalie). Btw, Fernholm got a chance to practice with the Swedish World Cup team on Monday. They needed an extra defenseman (mainly for special teams practices), and asked Djurgården to help them out.

In case some of you shouldn't know about Fernholm's terrific season last year (I doubt it, but anyway...), all you need to know really is coach Wikegård's answer to the question of who he thinks will be Djurgården's MVP this season: Daniel Fernholm. Remember, this is a guy, who didn't start with the team last year. Anyway, Wikegård pretty much praised everything about Fernholm last season. From his mental and physical development to his hockey sense and positioning on the ice, and to his hands and mobility. Fernholm was also presented with the club's 'Ambition & Attitude' award.

It'll be very interesting to see how both players will handle themselves this year. If there isn't an NHL lockout, Fernholm should be playing a major role on the team, and Salmonsson should be getting plenty of ice time as well. In case of a lockout, Fernholm still has a job to lose (and will likely still be an important part of the team), while Salmonsson probably has a job to win. And, of course, it'll be particularly interesting to see whether they can stay healthy, since injuries was probably the only thing keeping both of them from being picked in the top half of the first round of their respective drafts (or at least much higher than they went).

Next game for Djurgården is tonight against Helsinki.

If there are any Swedes posting here, you could likely present better and more well-rounded updates on the two than I can. I mainly go by DIF's official website, but I'll try to find other articles as well.

Old
08-27-2004, 05:57 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Thanks a lot!

Old
08-27-2004, 09:36 AM
tom_servo

Roholte!

Old
08-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Good stuff; thanks for sharing all the info with us. Look forward to more updates.

Old
08-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Jacob

Where do each players stand on Djurgarden's depth chart?

That is, is Salmonsson a 3rd line winger? 2nd line? Is Fernholm a top 4 or possibly even top 2 guy?

Old
08-27-2004, 06:10 PM
KungFuPenguin

I believe Fernholm played the defensive defenseman on the top 5-man unit for long stretches last season. He also saw time on the power play.

If the NHL is in for a long lock-out, I'm going to try to catch some DIF games on canal+ instead. I'm not a scout though, it'd be very helpful if some of you more experienced amateur scouts ask for specific things to watch for.

Salmonsson will be a very interesting player to watch.

Old
08-27-2004, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuPenguin
I believe Fernholm played the defensive defenseman on the top 5-man unit for long stretches last season. He also saw time on the power play.

If the NHL is in for a long lock-out, I'm going to try to catch some DIF games on canal+ instead. I'm not a scout though, it'd be very helpful if some of you more experienced amateur scouts ask for specific things to watch for.

Salmonsson will be a very interesting player to watch.
Yeah, I think that he's going to be a great prospect. I love give and go players so I'm hoping that he can get over the injury bug and get to Pitt ASAP.

Old
08-27-2004, 09:15 PM
DJ Spinoza

Thanks Roh, we appreciate it.

Old
08-28-2004, 01:03 AM
Fleuryfan29

Good Read...nice to hear about our prospects once in a while!

Old
08-28-2004, 02:24 AM
WVP

thanks Roholte, I definitely appreciate this thread

Old
08-28-2004, 05:42 AM
Roholte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Where do each players stand on Djurgarden's depth chart?

That is, is Salmonsson a 3rd line winger? 2nd line? Is Fernholm a top 4 or possibly even top 2 guy?
It's a bit difficult to place Fernholm on a depth chart, since half of the guys he's competing with now didn't really play as defensemen last year - at least not the "traditional" role of a defenseman. But I think it's safe to say that he's a top 4 guy right now with the possibility of being a top 2 guy before the season is over, if he continues on the same path as last year (or moving out of the top 4, if he doesn't).

If you were to break Djurgården's 1-3-1 system last year into a more normal hockey setup then, as KungFuPenguin said, Fernholm played the last month and a half on the top pairing with Lintner. With Nichlas Falk and Mika Strömberg assuming a more normal defenseman role again, I'd say those two are ahead of Fernholm. After that it's probably a battle between Fernholm, Oduya, and Staffan Kronwall, and Fernholm seemed to finish last year ahead of the other two.

So far it seems that Falk will be playing with Oduya, and that Strömberg will be playing with Kronwall in a couple of experience & youth setups (both Oduya and Kronwall are very young as well). This could mean a 3rd pairing role for Fernholm if it continues, but it could also end in a top pairing role if he ends up getting paired with Daniel Tjärnqvist, who I believe is signed in case of a lockout.

Salmonsson I'd say is a 3rd liner right now if everyone's healthy. However, I believe that the team has signed Marcus Nilsson, Czerkawski, Ekman, and Mathias Tjärnqvist to lockout contracts, so Salmonsson will likely have to move up on the depth chart to get a 3rd line job this season (I know that Djurgården's coach is expecting a lockout). With that in mind it's nice to see him make a good impression right from the start of the pre-season, and it's another reason to like the fact that he's been playing with Micke Johansson, 'cause that's one guy who's got a secure job on the team. Some nice chemistry between the two, and Salmonsson could see plenty of ice time this year.

As for last night's game against IFK Helsinki, Djurgården lost the game 4-1. The report on the game didn't mention the two prospects, but apparently Djurgården had played a good game. Not exactly a friendly match however with 162 penalty minutes.

Old
08-28-2004, 05:50 AM
Roholte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
Roholte!
Hey, Servo.

I must say, you look a lot better on this board.

Old
08-28-2004, 09:10 AM
Kronblom

August 27th - Mariehamn, Åland

Djurgårdens IF - HIFK 1 - 4 (0-1, 1-1, 0-2)

Period 1:
0-1 (7.05) Arttu Luttinen (Brett Harkins)

Period 2:
1-1 (26.58) Tomas Kollar (Daniel Fernholm)
1-2 (38.30) Pasi Saarinen (Kim Hirschovits, Jere Karalahti) PPG

Period 3:
1-3 (49.27) Joonas Vihko (Kim Hirschovits)
1-4 (53.49) Eetu Holma (Kimmo Kuhta) ENG

Shots: 30-37
Penalties: DIF 23x2, 2x5, HIFK 18x2, 2x5 (various reports...)

Game Misconducts:
Roman Vopat, HIFK & Kristofer Ottosson, DIF (04.22 min),
Heikki Laine, HIFK & Christian Sjögren, DIF (14.57)

Djurgården had this lineup in the game:

Goalkeeper
39 Björn Bjurling
(30 Rolf Wanhainen)

1st line
15 Johnny Oduya
16 Nichlas Falk
10 Robert Nilsson
9 Kristofer Ottosson
19 Jimmie Ölvestad

2nd line
33 Daniel Fernholm
42 Johan Silfverplatz (not under contract)
13 Johannes Salmonsson
25 Mikael Johansson
14 Daniel Rudslätt

3rd line
4 Staffan Kronwall
6 Ronnie Pettersson
48 Fredrik Abrahamsson (not under contract)
20 Christian Eklund
18 Tomas Kollar

4th line
38 Christian Sjögren (not under contract)
41 Patrick Thoresen
23 Fredrik Bremberg

Scratches:
Rikard Franzén, d (MVP in the SEL 1999/00)
Mika Strömberg, d
Espen Knutsen, f
Marcus Kristoffersson, f

Old
08-28-2004, 12:04 PM
Roholte

Ha!

To quote Dave: Fernholm > Chara

Thanks man, I couldn't find an official scoring report on the game. Just the comments on the DIF website.

Old
08-30-2004, 09:22 AM
Roholte

Okay, apparently Mathias Tjärnqvist hasn't signed with Djurgården but with HV 71.

Old
08-30-2004, 10:44 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

thanks for the update. i was very happy with the Salmonsson pick at the draft, and am very itnerested in seeing how he develops

Old
09-02-2004, 06:38 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66
Yeah, I think that he's going to be a great prospect. I love give and go players so I'm hoping that he can get over the injury bug and get to Pitt ASAP.
He isnt established so he already IS a great prospect. It isnt a question of whether he will be or not since that is what he currently is.

I am so high on this kid that it is unbelievable. I think he has the makings of a top 2 guy in this league. A guy who can do it all for your team. And a DEFINITE STEAL in the 4th round. Kind of reminiscant of when Elias was picked up by New Jersey in the second round ONLY because a knee injury dropped him that far down. He was a top ten candidate that season.
Other than the injury concerns (which are, of course valid concerns and I am not attempting to minimize them in any way) I have yet to read one bad thing about this kid. I cant wait to see him in North America. He really is an important part of our teams future and I for one, am drooling over the thought of a Welch/Fernholm pairing as a great all around pairing for years to come.
Alot of you know I can be cynical with certain prospects at times but I really have a great feeling of this kid. A GREAT feeling.
And dont forget Malenkhyk in this equation. He too, is a wild card. A pairing of him and Orpik could provide us with a physical pairing that has the potential to POUND into other teams while the final pairing of Jackman/Whitney would provide an incredible offensive punch.
Of course this is far to early to tell and all the above is hypothetical and dependant on alot of unknown variables, but could you imagine that top six if they all pan out some day (like I am talking four or five years down the road-thus, no Tarnstrom- when they all are in thier prime and have a few years experience in them)?
And then you still have guys left over in people like Scuderi, Schneider, Nemec, Koci, Bissonette, Lannon and Goligoski. It seems that if half of these guys pan out we should be in awesome shape.
I really like the look of our defensive depth (including goalies in Maffy, Duba, Chiodo and Caron) when talking about our prospects. We have high end guys in every facet (offensive, defensive and all around) of the game. Not just guys who could be average at thier particular specialty, but guys who COULD (and I cant stress that word enough because in no way am I counting chickens before they become Penguins) be GREAT for this team in each facet that counts.
Anyways, I think Fernholm and Welch will be guys who are simply going to be very good all around players at each end of the rink. Kind of like a Ohlund type pairing someday. Fernholm is oftenly overlooked on here and it is undeserving (I do it as well). Perhaps it has to do with his draft position or that he gets little press on this side of the ocean, but I have a feeling that in a couple of years he is going to be one of the steals of that draft.

Very good post to the thread starter BTW, and keep the info coming. Very informative and I always like hearing things about our over seas prospects from a first hand type view.

Old
09-02-2004, 06:48 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronblom
August 27th - Mariehamn, Åland

Djurgårdens IF - HIFK 1 - 4 (0-1, 1-1, 0-2)

Period 1:
0-1 (7.05) Arttu Luttinen (Brett Harkins)

Period 2:
1-1 (26.58) Tomas Kollar (Daniel Fernholm)
1-2 (38.30) Pasi Saarinen (Kim Hirschovits, Jere Karalahti) PPG

Period 3:
1-3 (49.27) Joonas Vihko (Kim Hirschovits)
1-4 (53.49) Eetu Holma (Kimmo Kuhta) ENG

Shots: 30-37
Penalties: DIF 23x2, 2x5, HIFK 18x2, 2x5 (various reports...)

Game Misconducts:
Roman Vopat, HIFK & Kristofer Ottosson, DIF (04.22 min),
Heikki Laine, HIFK & Christian Sjögren, DIF (14.57)

Djurgården had this lineup in the game:

Goalkeeper
39 Björn Bjurling
(30 Rolf Wanhainen)

1st line
15 Johnny Oduya
16 Nichlas Falk
10 Robert Nilsson
9 Kristofer Ottosson
19 Jimmie Ölvestad

2nd line
33 Daniel Fernholm
42 Johan Silfverplatz (not under contract)
13 Johannes Salmonsson
25 Mikael Johansson
14 Daniel Rudslätt

3rd line
4 Staffan Kronwall
6 Ronnie Pettersson
48 Fredrik Abrahamsson (not under contract)
20 Christian Eklund
18 Tomas Kollar

4th line
38 Christian Sjögren (not under contract)
41 Patrick Thoresen
23 Fredrik Bremberg

Scratches:
Rikard Franzén, d (MVP in the SEL 1999/00)
Mika Strömberg, d
Espen Knutsen, f
Marcus Kristoffersson, f
Dude thanks alot. If you get a chance to see them play this year I hope you can really keep an eye on these two and report what you saw. Like I said, first hand knowledge is good to read from.
So if you have a shot at watching thier team play it would be cool if you could keep an eye out for our guys and tell us what you thought.

Old
09-03-2004, 04:22 AM
Roholte

Well, Djurgården's played two games in Norway in the last two days, and will play again tonight back in Sweden against Färjestad.

The team beat Vålerenga 6-2 on Wednesday with Fernholm scoring a power-play goal, but lost 2-0 against Storhamar yesterday. Fernholm played both games in the top fiver paired with veteran Rikard Franzén with Espen Knutsen, Fredrik Bremberg, and Patrick Thoresen up front. Thoresen didn't play because of a minor injury yesterday though, and Christian Sjögren took his place instead. Sjögren was in the team because both Salmonsson and Robert Nilsson have joined the Swedish junior team for the 4-nations tournament in the Czech Republic, and thus didn't play in Norway.

With five test matches played so far both Salmonsson and Fernholm are in the top 4 in scoring on the Djurgården team with 2 goals and 1 assist each.

Old
09-03-2004, 05:37 AM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
I noticed some questions about Djurgården's depth chart.
I would think it is pretty much this way right now, before the start of the season:

Goaltenders
1. Björn Bjurling
2. Rolf Wanhainen

Defensemen
1. Nichlas Falk
2. Rikard Franzén
3. Johnny Oduya
4. Mika Strömberg
5. Daniel Fernholm
6. Ronnie Pettersson / Staffan Kronwall

comment: IMO Djurgården's defense is very average. None of the players above are stars in the SEL and youngsters like Oduya, Fernholm and Kronwall could climb a lot during the season.

Centers
1. Espen Knutsen
2. Mikael Johansson
3. Christian Eklund
4. Patrick Thoresen

Right Wing
1. Fredrik Bremberg
2. Kristofer Ottosson
3. Jimmie Ölvestad
4. Marcus Kristoffersson

Left Wing
1. Daniel Rudslätt
2. Robert Nilsson
3. Johannes Salmonsson
4. Tomas Kollar

However, it is important to know that most wingers in Sweden can play on both wings and on this roster several wingers can be used as centers as well.

Preseason scoring:
Salmonsson 3gp, 2+1 points 6pim
Fernholm 5gp, 2+1 points 2pim

Old
09-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Jeff Goldblum

Thanks Predatore! It's good to know that Fernholms development won't be hindered because he's stuck behind an all-star defense. He can move up if he improves. Salmonsson with a point a game in preseason? Very nice. Coming off an injury none the less. I'm ecstatic the Pens drafted this guy.

Old
09-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore
Defensemen
1. Nichlas Falk
2. Rikard Franzén
3. Johnny Oduya
4. Mika Strömberg
5. Daniel Fernholm
6. Ronnie Pettersson / Staffan Kronwall

comment: IMO Djurgården's defense is very average. None of the players above are stars in the SEL and youngsters like Oduya, Fernholm and Kronwall could climb a lot during the season.
I have to say the defense looks quite good. A good mix with experienced players and youngsters, and some pysichal players, and some creative. Nice to see DIF has the guts to play so many as 3 young d-men, where all of them, IMO, is big parts of the team.

Old
09-13-2004, 04:12 AM
Roholte

I've been busy lately, so I'm behind on the updates.

Since the last update Djurgården's played one game away at Färjestad (winning 2-0), and four games in five days in Lugano, Switzerland (won 2 and lost 2). Fernholm didn't play in the first match in Switzerland (a 2-1 loss against Lugano), but played in all the other games, and scored a power-play goal in a 5-3 victory against Ambri-Piotta.

Salmonsson played in all four games in Switzerland, but not in the game against Färjestad (he and Robert Nilsson was playing with the Swedish junior team in the 4-nations tournament in the Czech Republic). He didn't register a point in any of the games, but would likely have added an assist in the 3-2 win over Timrå, if it had been a North American game (according to the report he basically set up the 2nd goal in that game from behind the net, but he's not credited with an assist). However, he did score a goal in the 4-nations tournament, and had a strong tournament according to the coach. Robert Nilsson scored 3 goals and assisted on one, btw.

Fernholm has been paired with Rikard Franzén, who I must say (in regards to my previous attempt at a depth chart) I hadn't thought was that good anymore. I'd figured that he was brought in to play sort of a Bergevin-like role, but he's still going strong, and the Fernholm-Franzén pairing has been by far the most productive pairing in the pre-season. Fernholm led all Djurgården's defensemen in scoring with 3 goals and 4 points. Franzén and Nichlas Falk each registered 4 points too (all of them assists).

Since coach Wikegård previously stated that the team would be working more with intact fivers (or five-blocks or whatever you call it in English ?) this season, it's worth noting that in the six games that Espen Knutsen has played this pre-season, Fernholm has started behind him in five of them. Knutsen is Djurgården's best forward and scored 12 points (!) in his 6 pre-season games. If my math is correct Fredrik Bremberg (who plays on Knutsen's line) was 2nd in scoring with 7 points (he led the team with 4 goals). Fernholm was fourth on the team with his 4 points, and tied for 2nd with his 3 goals.

Anyway, if Fernholm and Franzén continues to play mostly behind Knutsen's line, it smells like at least top 4 playing time for Fernholm, especially since he seems to have become a more prominent figure on the power-play too. In fact, he was 2nd on the team in power-play points in the pre-season, and was tied for the team lead in power-play goals with Daniel Rudslätt (2 PP-goals each). And I can't imagine him not being a solid part of the PK too.

Salmonsson played with various linemates in Switzerland. He still says that he's not bothered by the shoulder at all (playing 4 games in 5 days without any problems should back up his statement). He and Fernholm almost connected on a goal in the final game against Espoo, but Salmonsson put the rebound from Fernholm's shot just wide of the goal. Btw, Espoo won the game 3-0 with Landon Wilson scoring twice, and Lauri Tukonen scoring a goal and an assist.

In other news Djurgården seems to have signed Mariusz Czerkawski for the upcoming season whether there's a lockout or not.

Next scheduled game for the team is the season opener against Södertälje on the 21st. It seems that www.hockeyligan.se will have live radio broadcasts from the games. I'll have to check that out. They seem to present video clips from the games as well. If that's true I'll try to let you know when there are clips involving the two Penguin prospects. I also hope that I'll be able to go to one of Djurgården's games in Malmö (they play there in November and January, I believe).

Old
09-13-2004, 04:21 AM
clefty
What a nice fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roholte
In other news Djurgården seems to have signed Mariusz Czerkawski for the upcoming season whether there's a lockout or not.
How much do you think this will affect Salmonsson's ice time this season?

Old
09-13-2004, 10:39 AM
Roholte

Quote:
How much do you think this will affect Salmonsson's ice time this season?
Quite a bit I fear. I think the first line was supposed to be Thoresen-Knutsen-Bremberg, but Thoresen is injured at the moment and is probably out until early October. Daniel Rudslätt took his place in the final test matches, and you would expect either him or perhaps Czerkawski to play on that line in the season opener. Ottosson, Ölvestad, and Robert Nilsson have played a lot together in the pre-season, so that looks like another one of the top 3 lines. That leaves Micke Johansson, Rudslätt or Czerkawski, and ? for the 3rd line.

And while I was happy with the fact that Salmonsson was playing with Micke Johansson early in the pre-season, I'm a bit worried about the fact that of the final four games that Johansson played, three of them were with Kollar and Kristoffersson and only one was with Salmonsson. I'd still expect him to get that '9th spot' (especially if Czerkawski claims the top line job). But if he doesn't, or if Thoresen coming back will push Salmonsson out of the top 3 lines, it certainly doesn't look particularly good for him - especially if you assume that there will be a lockout.

He will get his chances though, I'm sure.

Closed Thread