HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fernholm & Salmonsson Update Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2004, 06:20 PM
clefty
What?

vCash: 500
Daniel Tjärnqvist, Nils Ekman, Marcus Nilson, Mats Sundin (joins in Dec) have all apparently signed with Djurgården.

Pretty weak for Salmonsson.

Old
09-18-2004, 02:17 AM
Jacob

The Pens should bring him over to the CHL.

Old
09-19-2004, 12:28 AM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
The Pens should bring him over to the CHL.

What CHL team was he drafted by?

Does anyone think he could stand up to a season in the AHL? I doubt it, but I've also never seen him play.

Old
09-22-2004, 09:03 AM
Roholte

Djurgården won their opener against Södertälje 4-2. Salmonsson assisted on the final goal by Ottosson (an empty netter). Fernholm hit the crossbar on the power-play in the first period. Nils Ekman scored twice, and Daniel Tjärnqvist had a goal and an assist. Dick Tärnström didn't register any points for Södertälje but spent four minutes in the penalty box.

Next game for Djurgården is on Thursday against Färjestad.

Old
09-30-2004, 09:14 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
Salomonsson have started the season quite well, and have been on Djurgårdens top-12 forwards for the entire season, despite the additions of Czerkawski, Ekman and Nilson. The first two games he spent on the fourth line along with Christian Eklund and Islanders prospect Robert Nilsson. The last game he skated on the top-line with former-BlueJacket Espen Knutsen and former-Islander Mariusz Czerkawski, due to a injured Fredrik Bremberg (former Lindqvist, played 8 games for Edmonton a couple of years ago) and a suspension to Jimmie Ölvestad (last three seasons in Tampa). I haven't seen him play so far but the thing that he was choosed to the top-line ahead of Robert Nilsson says he has been good so far. Nilsson now skated along with veteran Nichlas Falk and Dallas prospect Marcus Kristoffersson.

The swedish TV will broadcast some Djurgården games the upcoming month, and I'll try to catch my eye on Salomonsson. I'm myself very high on this kid.

Daniel Fernholm have been paired up with SEL veteran Rickard Franzen in the beginning of the season, and are holding Toronto prospect Staffan Kronwall on the bench as 7th d-man.

Old
09-30-2004, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
Salomonsson have started the season quite well, and have been on Djurgårdens top-12 forwards for the entire season, despite the additions of Czerkawski, Ekman and Nilson. The first two games he spent on the fourth line along with Christian Eklund and Islanders prospect Robert Nilsson. The last game he skated on the top-line with former-BlueJacket Espen Knutsen and former-Islander Mariusz Czerkawski, due to a injured Fredrik Bremberg (former Lindqvist, played 8 games for Edmonton a couple of years ago) and a suspension to Jimmie Ölvestad (last three seasons in Tampa). I haven't seen him play so far but the thing that he was choosed to the top-line ahead of Robert Nilsson says he has been good so far. Nilsson now skated along with veteran Nichlas Falk and Dallas prospect Marcus Kristoffersson.

The swedish TV will broadcast some Djurgården games the upcoming month, and I'll try to catch my eye on Salomonsson. I'm myself very high on this kid.

Daniel Fernholm have been paired up with SEL veteran Rickard Franzen in the beginning of the season, and are holding Toronto prospect Staffan Kronwall on the bench as 7th d-man.
Great to hear and thanks for the updates. I just can't wait till this kid comes over to the Pens. From what little I've seen of him I've become a huge fan. He kind of reminds me of some of the 80's Swedes like Loob and Naslund. I'm not sure if he'll put up points like those two but he plays that "always in motion" style and seems to have a sense of getting open.

Old
09-30-2004, 04:28 PM
Robertsson 4-ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66
Great to hear and thanks for the updates. I just can't wait till this kid comes over to the Pens. From what little I've seen of him I've become a huge fan. He kind of reminds me of some of the 80's Swedes like Loob and Naslund. I'm not sure if he'll put up points like those two but he plays that "always in motion" style and seems to have a sense of getting open.
And he's got the size Loob and Näslund never had!

Old
10-07-2004, 03:35 PM
KungFuPenguin

Djurgården faced Timrå tonight and I caught the Canal+ broadcast. It was an entertaining, back-and-forth game until the third period when Timrå took over and absolutely dominated Djurgården, ending up with 6 goals in the final period and winning 7-1.

Here's a few thoughts on the two Pittsburgh prospects. Fernholm played on the third pairing with Ronnie Pettersson. Salmonssen played mostly on the 4th, 'energy-line'.

Despite the score, I think Fernholm had a decent game. I looked mostly for signs of improved offense and physical play. He dealt out a couple of impressive hits, although I think he may have to work on timing them better as he took himself right out of the play once.

He skates well for a big man, and carried the puck very competently at times. He also pinches well, and positions his huge frame in the opposing crease. I'd like him to be more assertive along the boards -- with his size and strength he should win more of those battles. Still looks a bit hesitant.

He handles odd-man breaks well, and showed plenty of heart and courage dropping to block an intimidating slapshot. Color commentator Calle Johansson of Capitals fame didn't like it though, saying it was too risky for his tastes (Fernholm being the only defender in the play). I guess he should know.

No signs of any budding finishing ability, and a couple of fumbled outlet passes decreases the overall impression, but he shows good signs of becoming a very good all-round defenseman.

Salmonsson skates very well, and more importantly, seems to always be moving. His line had a couple of great shifts, cycling the puck down low. However, his board play did not impress, and he kept losing the puck whenever he got it. He did make a couple of nice moves thundering down the wing, once making a pretty cross-crease pass that unfortunately didn't make it through the traffic, the other time flipping the puck past Aki Berg in a delightfully cheeky manner and almost catching it again as he dodged around the big Finn.

Johansson mentioned in passing that he figured we'd be seeing a lot of Salmonsson in the NHL in time.

Old
10-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Robertsson 4-ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuPenguin
Djurgården faced Timrå tonight and I caught the Canal+ broadcast. It was an entertaining, back-and-forth game until the third period when Timrå took over and absolutely dominated Djurgården, ending up with 6 goals in the final period and winning 7-1.

Here's a few thoughts on the two Pittsburgh prospects. Fernholm played on the third pairing with Ronnie Pettersson. Salmonssen played mostly on the 4th, 'energy-line'.

Despite the score, I think Fernholm had a decent game. I looked mostly for signs of improved offense and physical play. He dealt out a couple of impressive hits, although I think he may have to work on timing them better as he took himself right out of the play once.

He skates well for a big man, and carried the puck very competently at times. He also pinches well, and positions his huge frame in the opposing crease. I'd like him to be more assertive along the boards -- with his size and strength he should win more of those battles. Still looks a bit hesitant.

He handles odd-man breaks well, and showed plenty of heart and courage dropping to block an intimidating slapshot. Color commentator Calle Johansson of Capitals fame didn't like it though, saying it was too risky for his tastes (Fernholm being the only defender in the play). I guess he should know.

No signs of any budding finishing ability, and a couple of fumbled outlet passes decreases the overall impression, but he shows good signs of becoming a very good all-round defenseman.

Salmonsson skates very well, and more importantly, seems to always be moving. His line had a couple of great shifts, cycling the puck down low. However, his board play did not impress, and he kept losing the puck whenever he got it. He did make a couple of nice moves thundering down the wing, once making a pretty cross-crease pass that unfortunately didn't make it through the traffic, the other time flipping the puck past Aki Berg in a delightfully cheeky manner and almost catching it again as he dodged around the big Finn.

Johansson mentioned in passing that he figured we'd be seeing a lot of Salmonsson in the NHL in time.
Very accurate, as I also saw the game. I also thought Fernholm had a decent game and wasn't to blame for all the goals.

I expected more from Salomonsson though. Ok, his line was the best in the first period but he didn't touch the puck many times, as most Kristoffersson and Eklund skated along the boards with the puck. He also, as you said, lost puck when he got it, and didn't manage to do anything special. He got some nice skating though, and some nice moves at times. He'll need some more time, but he'll grow as the season goes on.

Old
10-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Robocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuPenguin

I also saw the game and I wasnt impressed with either one of them, but its pretty good by Salmonsson to even be on that team. Robert Nilsson is playing in the juniors...
Johannes is as you said pretty weak around the boards but you have to remember that Elitserien is a pretty good league right now, man NHLers on the ice.
Eventually I think both of them will play in the NHL...

Old
10-08-2004, 06:41 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocop
I also saw the game and I wasnt impressed with either one of them, but its pretty good by Salmonsson to even be on that team. Robert Nilsson is playing in the juniors...
Johannes is as you said pretty weak around the boards but you have to remember that Elitserien is a pretty good league right now, man NHLers on the ice.
Eventually I think both of them will play in the NHL...
Robert Nilsson is out with a mild concussion, that's why he isn't playing.

Old
10-08-2004, 11:06 AM
KungFuPenguin

I too was quite disappointed in Salmonsson after his first couple of shifts, but his tenacious playing style grew on me, and the two moves he pulled hints at deeper talent. So in the end I came away with a much more positive impression.

He really wasn't doing very well winning or controlling the puck though.

Old
10-11-2004, 12:39 AM
Robocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
Robert Nilsson is out with a mild concussion, that's why he isn't playing.
But when he´s playing it´s in the juniors...

Closed Thread