HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Doug Wilson shop for a 3rd line winger (TDL p/u)

Old
10-10-2011, 05:51 PM
sweHockeypunk21

vCash: 500
Should Doug Wilson shop for a 3rd line winger (TDL p/u)

If you were in Doug Wilsons shoes, who would you target. By the trade deadline, the Sharks will have 8 million in cap space. The only problem is next year Couture and Burns are paid another (very close to) 3.8 million. I personally would go after someone like Scott Hartnell. He would be very useful for making one of the best 3rd lines. Also can fill in on the top-6. I would offer Mcginn and a 2nd (maybe go a little more if required) for him.

The lines would look like:
Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Clowe-Couture-Havlat
Mitchell-Handzus-Hartnell
DIRTY!!!!!
And when Havlat or other forwards are injured we can use Hartnell in the top-6 and call up forwards like Wingels or Ferriero.

sweHockeypunk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:56 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 401
Doan 1 year rental! (dreaming)

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:59 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

I'd pay for Korpikoski from Phoenix. They are in rebuild mode and he'd be the perfect 3rd line Winger for us.

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Kitten Mittons

Wow, misleading title is misleading.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:02 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
LOL, it got me to click too

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:04 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Got me too.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:07 PM
hateseed
TentacleGrapeSoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
yes you're certainly dreaming, but Clowe/Couture/Doan is some rough stuff.

hateseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:08 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Quote:
^ both of these.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:10 PM
sweHockeypunk21

Quote:
Well I think everyone on HF boards agrees that DW should upgrade that sooner or later. Its just a matter of when and how.

sweHockeypunk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Kitten Mittons

What the hell is p/u?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:13 PM
ChubbChubby
My life is a gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateseed View Post
yes you're certainly dreaming, but Clowe/Couture/Doan is some rough stuff.
Well if we're still fantasizing about Doan, I'd put him on the first line with Marleau and Thornton and leave the second line as Clowe/Couture/Havlat. Doan on the first line gives Thornton another right-handed shooter to pass to, and he's physical and would be great on the forecheck. Havlat is more of a passer first from what I hear, so he would fit better with Couture/Clowe who both like to shoot the puck when they can.

Thing is that puts Pavelski back on the third line and that sucks for him. Theoretically that would make it Handzus/Pavelski/Mitchell and that looks sad. It doesn't have the size, speed, or physicality that an energy line should provide.

ChubbChubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:22 PM
68 Z-28

Quote:
What the hell is p/u?
TDL = Trade Dead Line
p/u = pick up

Too much Philly messin with your head.

68 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:25 PM
SJSharks2010

No to hartnell.

**** yes to Doan. I honestly don't care what we'd have to give up to get him, adding Doan to this roster would give us the best odds we've ever had at the cup, ever.

I think it's certainly realistic. Phoenix has absolutely no chance at the playoffs this year. I don't care what people say about their system, they lost Brunette, Jovanovsky, Bryzglov and Fiddler and didn't do much in the way of properly replacing any of them. This wasn't a great team before the offseason either, they were just good. No way they recover from losing all that depth and an elite goalie.

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:33 PM
redfish
awesome hockey dude

after one blowout win, we are speculating on lineup changes......can you spell fickle fans?

if we had lost game 1, would we be shipping off Thornton for a 7th round draft choice?

redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkytalk View Post
after one blowout win, we are speculating on lineup changes......can you spell fickle fans?

if we had lost game 1, would we be shipping off Thornton for a 7th round draft choice?
I don't think it's a bad thing to constantly look for better ways to improve the team. Since the off-season, we've speculated we'd need another 3rd line winger.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:45 PM
SJSharks2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkytalk View Post

What the hell are you talking about?

We've been talking about this since the offseason. Why would we speculate about getting a rental based on one game? It was blatantly obvious since the offseason we're in win now mode, and we have a giant hole on our third line.

Old
10-10-2011, 06:47 PM
hockeyball

Doan is the obvious answer, but you have to wonder what it would cost. As the Coyotes are run by the league it's a tough sell to believe they are going to do him a 'favor' and let him go where he wants. They must get maximum return for the guy. I honestly don't know if we could afford him.

Korpikoski would be great, but he's still an RFA and part of the youth group they need going forward, doubt he is moved at this point.

The Flames are going to tank hard I expect, so you could have Iginla in play, but same or worse situation than Doan.

Semin, Hemsky, AK, Whitney, Stempniak, Wolski... lots of options.

Honestly, if I'm going to have a pipe dream, I'm dreaming of Chris Stewart. Talk about a perfect choice. Never going to happen though.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Pinkfloyd

Don't know yet. We need to wait and see how Havlat fits into the lineup before we worry about the third line. Guys like McGinn and Wingels are going to need more than a few games to see where they're at overall. If Havlat turns out to be a complete bust that can't be relied upon to stay healthy this year, we need to worry about filling his spot in the top six over the 3rd line.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:48 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
Well if we're still fantasizing about Doan, I'd put him on the first line with Marleau and Thornton and leave the second line as Clowe/Couture/Havlat. Doan on the first line gives Thornton another right-handed shooter to pass to, and he's physical and would be great on the forecheck. Havlat is more of a passer first from what I hear, so he would fit better with Couture/Clowe who both like to shoot the puck when they can.

Thing is that puts Pavelski back on the third line and that sucks for him. Theoretically that would make it Handzus/Pavelski/Mitchell and that looks sad. It doesn't have the size, speed, or physicality that an energy line should provide.
Funny how everyone has different ideas if somehow by a miracle we could land Doan. I would put Doan on the third line on the Sharks team. Leave MTP alone and CCH, but if you add Doan to the third line all of a sudden you have a third line that can score the way you want a third line to score (And then some). Doan's best days are behind him so on this Sharks team (and many other top teams), he's not a first liner, more of a second liner, but if you put him on a deep team you can have a killer third line.

Marleau-Thornton-Pavs
Clowe-Couture-Havlat
Mitchell-Zeus-Doan

Wow. Too bad we'll never get Doan via trade with the Yotes.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:49 PM
hateseed
TentacleGrapeSoda

to be fair, wasn't all the chatter re: Doan during the last game that yes he was in the last year of his contract, but that we would likely re-sign with Phoenix.

That said, he's a monster and I really have a thing for his game/tenacity. He's like a (slightly) poor-man's Thornton in terms of size, possession and passing. But shoots more better.

Old
10-10-2011, 06:50 PM
SJSharks2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Doan is the obvious answer, but you have to wonder what it would cost. As the Coyotes are run by the league it's a tough sell to believe they are going to do him a 'favor' and let him go where he wants. They must get maximum return for the guy. I honestly don't know if we could afford him.

Korpikoski would be great, but he's still an RFA and part of the youth group they need going forward, doubt he is moved at this point.

The Flames are going to tank hard I expect, so you could have Iginla in play, but same or worse situation than Doan.

Semin, Hemsky, AK, Whitney, Stempniak, Wolski... lots of options.

Honestly, if I'm going to have a pipe dream, I'm dreaming of Chris Stewart. Talk about a perfect choice. Never going to happen though.
I can't see Stewart being moved, I'm not really sure why St. Louis would even consider.

Iggy really is out of our proce range. Our entire farm and a first round pick may not be enough to get him.

Plan A: Shane Doan

Plan B: Ales Hemsky

There, now I'm done my wishlist for the trade deadline.

Old
10-10-2011, 06:52 PM
SJSharks2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Funny how everyone has different ideas if somehow by a miracle we could land Doan. I would put Doan on the third line on the Sharks team. Leave MTP alone and CCH, but if you add Doan to the third line all of a sudden you have a third line that can score the way you want a third line to score (And then some). Doan's best days are behind him so on this Sharks team (and many other top teams), he's not a first liner, more of a second liner, but if you put him on a deep team you can have a killer third line.

Marleau-Thornton-Pavs
Clowe-Couture-Havlat
Mitchell-Zeus-Doan

I don't get why it's so farfetched. Phoenix is being run by the NHL, they let so many UFA's go for nothing because they couldn't sign anyone it's not even funny. Shane Doan, if he does decide to return (why would he) may not even get a contract anyways because of the financial and ownership situation.

I can definetly see Phoenix moving him for the right price.

Old
10-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post

Marleau-Thornton-Pavs
Clowe-Couture-Havlat
Mitchell-Zeus-Doan

I wouldn't be so sure. It's his last year on his contract. The Coyotes are not projected to do very well this year and if that happens to pan out as such, I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved at the deadline. Nobody questions Doan's loyalty to the franchise but he deserves as many chances at the Cup as he can get. It would help the franchise if they could get something to rent him out. And he could always re-sign in Phoenix in the off-season and nobody would blame him.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:54 PM
hateseed
TentacleGrapeSoda

If Doan hadn't scored twice in our first game, would we be talking about him? yes, but maybe not a much.

Old
10-10-2011, 06:56 PM
stalockrox

I don't think anything will be settled on what the team needs for a couple of months, but if you want to know who I think they should target...Frans Nielsen would be a perfect fit next to Zeus and Mitchell.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote