HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Something is "off"

Old
10-11-2011, 03:35 AM
TheZec

vCash: 500
I don't think we can be called a bad team right now. With the sole exception of Mottau, our defence has played great (or at least, well above our expectations) and Montoya seems to be for real.
The question is the offense, but the talent is here and I think they will show it. Just a matter of time.
For those who wants to bring back an enforcer, I don't think it is really necessary. If you play determinated no matter your size, you will win battles for the puck and hit players anyway. I like it better to beat them on the scoreboard than on fights won!

TheZec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 03:42 AM
bigdom1012

the problem is this there young kids and there is alot of pressure on them to do good this year...the veterans need to calm them down...there trying to do to much if they simplify there game they will get there spark back

bigdom1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Brunomics

Well I know what's on and that's Al Montoya, who would've thought our best player through the first 2 games wouldn've been him?

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:47 AM
LAPPY13

The Islanders have a lot of talent up front and its just a matter of time before we start scoring a lot of goals! Our defense has been better than I thought at this point. As for Mike Mottau I still would rather have him in our own zone than Gervais or Hillen! Two games does not make a season!!!!!

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:43 AM
IslesNorway

Apart from taking some penalites against the Panthers , what exactly has Mottau done to deserve all the crap he is getting? Against the Wild he did fine as far as I could see. He's a no. 6 or 7 guy so let's keep it real - he's better than many others who's played for this team the last few years

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Here we are after game 2, and you can tell that on our worst nights, we have what it takes to stay competitive. Al was fantastic, and maybe we will have the reliable goaltending for the duration.

But something else is "off". I just can't put my finger on it, but they completely imploded after 20 tonight, and it's just like they are skating through mud.

Where is this team quickness?
Where is this creativity that Jack's system caters too?
Where is the desire to compete?

It doesn't seem fair that, as fans, we should be asking where the desire to compete is after only the 2nd game of the season.

Whatever it is, it's something. Anyone have an idea of wht we could do to shake things up here? The schedule really picks up starting Thursday, and our opponents aren't the types to play 2 goal games. These are high offense teams, and teams with great goaltending.

We had 7 shots on net the last two periods today.

Confused, really.
"Shake things up?" Are you serious? Have we become so ADD that we need to "shake things up" every TWO games??!!! Jesus Christ...

No time for knee-jerk reactions.

BUT, what is "off" about this team is the talent. Or more accurately, the lack thereof. This team is thin and inexperienced and weak in many areas. Unfortunately it will in all likelihood be a loooong season and not much can be done about it. The horses we got just ain't good enough...

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Top Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
We have a winner

The team is not that good. That should answer most of questions many have about NYI.

We didn't address major needs in the offseason.
A little too strong, I think a better reply would be "not as good as everyone thinks
they will be including the GM"

Snow will sell you on the idea that a deal wasn't there but to the real truth is a givaway wasn't to be had.

Remember guys, last seasons win bonanza came when there was really nothing to
be had and the guys were playing without a care. Helmets on backwards during shootouts etc.. but now when a mistake happens that could cost you 2 meaningful points, the stick gets held tighter, everything is more magnified.

But the truth is, there are some decent talents but not many "Superstar" talents like a Tavares and soon to be Harmonic. Its time to inch that cap up by giving away a younger talent for a more proven and more expensive player. Time to make a deal for a relatively young under 30 Dman for a young budding forward that can be replaced by the excess of forwards coming

Top Corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner View Post
A little too strong, I think a better reply would be "not as good as everyone thinks they will be including the GM"
Good call. I agree with this. I think the Isles have a lot of pieces in place, but I think people might be kidding themselves if they think the "rebuild" is done. There's still a long way to go.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 12:14 PM
okie21

Well any body who thinks the "rebuild" is over isn't kidding them selves, they're just not realistic. To think that the rebuild is over when Nino, Strome, and deHaan have played a total of 9 NHL games combined is crazy. Those 3 are all pieces that Snow has drafted with an eye on them being a part of the core of this franchise. The top 5 draft pick part of the rebuild should be over. If the team stays healthy and gets good net play they can definitly chalange for a playoff spot. It's time to take the "next step". The next step isn't winning championships though. You have to learn to crawl before you walk. And you deffinitly gotta learn to walk before you go buy a sports car.

okie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie21 View Post
Well any body who thinks the "rebuild" is over isn't kidding them selves, they're just not realistic. To think that the rebuild is over when Nino, Strome, and deHaan have played a total of 9 NHL games combined is crazy. Those 3 are all pieces that Snow has drafted with an eye on them being a part of the core of this franchise. The top 5 draft pick part of the rebuild should be over. If the team stays healthy and gets good net play they can definitly chalange for a playoff spot. It's time to take the "next step". The next step isn't winning championships though. You have to learn to crawl before you walk. And you deffinitly gotta learn to walk before you go buy a sports car.
To elaborate on your metaphor, this team is a 25 year old Down Syndrome, cerebral palsy, paraplegic patient confined to a wheel chair. No running, walking or crawling that I can see...

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 12:21 PM
LAPPY13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Apart from taking some penalites against the Panthers , what exactly has Mottau done to deserve all the crap he is getting? Against the Wild he did fine as far as I could see. He's a no. 6 or 7 guy so let's keep it real - he's better than many others who's played for this team the last few years
You are 100% correct!

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Isles1

My main concerns on offense are Bailey as mentioned, Comeau, and Okposo.

Bailey still looks lost out there, and I am not sure what else can be done with this kids progress which may or may not have been impacted by us rushing him too quickly. Regardless, he needs to show some more offensive instinct and display some passion. It is not enough to just be out there skating your shift, he needs to be smarter with the puck...something he has shown flashes of.

Comeau hustles, but just needs to be more consistant. He just needs to stick with what works for him in digging out pucks and forechecking to create chances....each and every shift.

Okposo is not someone I am even close to giving up on, or even considering to be in the same situation as the two above, but I really believe he needs to prove something this year as well. His speed and passing have never been his forte, but some of his telegraphed passes can leave someone scratching their head.

He needs to use his body more, and setup just outside, or in front of the net where he is most effective if not working the boards....seems to miss the net more often than not when coming into the zone with some speed and letting one go...seems to be missing that one last move to give him a better scoring chance, I seem to say this quite often when he has a chance. He also needs to get that puck on net more consistantly.

As far as defense, I am happy with Streit, AMac, Hamonic and Jurcina once he returns, and am willing to keep Staios as a number 7, problem is, it's as if we are carrying 3 number 7's with Eaton and Mottau....really need a number 4 defencemen to rectify this glaring hole...another solid play transition player with some toughness and something that resembles a shot. It has been quite evident when the latter are on the ice and the transition game seems lethargic with blind or risky passes, or using the pathetic attempts at blind dumps and handing over posession more often than not. I believe Cap wants to stress puck posession as one of his big changes this year, and It seems the opposite when that Eaton and Mottau pairing are out there.

I know it's early and I am hoping for the stars to align just right with what I mention, if not, we will see how things look come trade deadline, and hopefully address at least our defensive need, and possibly more.....

Isles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Wow 2 games, really? Some people need to stay off the internet

You cannot judge a team off that small of a sample size its basic probability and statistics. Come on man.

Well, you can't judge a team off two games, absolutely agree. But I don't think it's a crime to give thoughts on what we've seen go right and wrong in those two games. The season's clearly not doomed, and there'll be games later on where everything clicks and the team looks unbeatable for a stretch, but I agree with the OP that they looked a bit off in the games so far. They're not the only team, but there are some that really look to have everything going out of the gate.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
Thx for update cant wait to see the 13/14 Stanley Cup 30th anniversary OILVs Islanders rematch
I was thinking that the other day. With both teams looking so bright in the future, it would be awesome if they get good around the same time. Lets bring the 80's back! Hopefully were not playing in the same arena's though.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 07:33 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
"Shake things up?" Are you serious? Have we become so ADD that we need to "shake things up" every TWO games??!!! Jesus Christ...

No time for knee-jerk reactions.

BUT, what is "off" about this team is the talent. Or more accurately, the lack thereof. This team is thin and inexperienced and weak in many areas. Unfortunately it will in all likelihood be a loooong season and not much can be done about it. The horses we got just ain't good enough...
I think you nailed it. When I say shake things up, I think I mean that there needs to be an influx of talent somewhere. Quite honestly, I've raised the bar with this team, and they just aren't ready to delivered (or prepared).

There is still plenty of time - obviously - but this is not a team that looks like it can make the playoffs. And that's what I was led to believe.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Andong Wang

Quote:
I think you nailed it. When I say shake things up, I think I mean that there needs to be an influx of talent somewhere. Quite honestly, I've raised the bar with this team, and they just aren't ready to delivered (or prepared).

There is still plenty of time - obviously - but this is not a team that looks like it can make the playoffs. And that's what I was led to believe.
What led you to believe the Islanders to make the playoffs? It certainly wasn't the first third of last season.

Andong Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 07:40 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
What led you to believe the Islanders to make the playoffs? It certainly wasn't the first third of last season.
A mixture of things, I guess. The second half where we played really well, and the rest of the hockey world said "Do that when there's pressure, bet you can't!" and I just didn't believe to be true. You had Grabner, Tavares playing on godly levels, you had the return of Streit, etc.

But man, when the games mean something, you can see just how far off the mark we are. I've been watching plenty of hockey over this past week, and we are so far behind some of the teams in the Eastern Conference in terms of how we play the game, that it's not inconceivable to believe that we are doomed.

Again, early, yes. Get it. But this isn't going to cut it. It's not something that I think we can work harder at. Quite simply, this just isn't a very good lineup.

Let's see if we start picking things up and the preseason/early going here is just an aberration. But where there's a pattern, a social scientist will tell you there's a correlation and theory.

My personal belief is that we are going to get ****smacked by Tampa. They will EAT US ALIVE if we play the way we have. No outrageous prediction here, just that we are not going to play this turnover, pansy ass type hockey against Tampa and escape with a W. No way in hell. Than you have the Rags, who on an off night, are still better than we are. Than you have Penguins 2x.

You see where I'm going with this. And it's not up.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

It's so simple. What's off is the 3rd line hasn't done anything and Grabner hasn't been sent on any breakaways. The 2nd line is still generating chances though.

Granted teams are playing closer attention to Grabner now, but he's a notoriously slow starter.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:02 PM
BeMoney

Quote:
A mixture of things, I guess. The second half where we played really well, and the rest of the hockey world said "Do that when there's pressure, bet you can't!" and I just didn't believe to be true. You had Grabner, Tavares playing on godly levels, you had the return of Streit, etc.

But man, when the games mean something, you can see just how far off the mark we are. I've been watching plenty of hockey over this past week, and we are so far behind some of the teams in the Eastern Conference in terms of how we play the game, that it's not inconceivable to believe that we are doomed.

Again, early, yes. Get it. But this isn't going to cut it. It's not something that I think we can work harder at. Quite simply, this just isn't a very good lineup.

Let's see if we start picking things up and the preseason/early going here is just an aberration. But where there's a pattern, a social scientist will tell you there's a correlation and theory.

My personal belief is that we are going to get ****smacked by Tampa. They will EAT US ALIVE if we play the way we have. No outrageous prediction here, just that we are not going to play this turnover, pansy ass type hockey against Tampa and escape with a W. No way in hell. Than you have the Rags, who on an off night, are still better than we are. Than you have Penguins 2x.

You see where I'm going with this. And it's not up.
Was there not a thread started just last last week about this lineup being a top 5 team in scoring this year?

BeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
It's so simple. What's off is the 3rd line hasn't done anything and Grabner hasn't been sent on any breakaways. The 2nd line is still generating chances though.

Granted teams are playing closer attention to Grabner now, but he's a notoriously slow starter.
They aren't passing to Grabner like they used and aren't passing to him in stride. Now they just throw it too far in his direction and he is still. Last year, they could lob it in his direction when he was already starting to skate.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Top Corner

On the positive side, we are .500 and can't play much worse.

As for Wang & Snow, stop playing the fans like dumb ass fools, get a functioning # 4D even if you overpay slightly, I can't see the positive of playing in 3/4 empty building. Bring the fans back, stop crying about the colisieum. Build a winner before you are too old to enjoy it.

Top Corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Bert Marshall days

The only thing "off" is some fans expectations.

Every summer NYI does nothing significant to improve the team yet every fall/winter some fans expect significantly improved results. Go figure.

This is basically the same team as last year except Streit is back. There's a reason why a better franchise didn't want Rolston or Pandolfo. Staios and Reasoner aren't going to solve much.

The win when there's no pressure of after last Xmas shouldn't have raised expectations either. Ya get what ya pay for.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:15 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Jeese we are 1-1 to start the year you would think this is right after that huge losing streak last year.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:06 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles1 View Post
My main concerns on offense are Bailey as mentioned, Comeau, and Okposo.

Bailey still looks lost out there, and I am not sure what else can be done with this kids progress which may or may not have been impacted by us rushing him too quickly. Regardless, he needs to show some more offensive instinct and display some passion. It is not enough to just be out there skating your shift, he needs to be smarter with the puck...something he has shown flashes of.

Comeau hustles, but just needs to be more consistant. He just needs to stick with what works for him in digging out pucks and forechecking to create chances....each and every shift.

Okposo is not someone I am even close to giving up on, or even considering to be in the same situation as the two above, but I really believe he needs to prove something this year as well. His speed and passing have never been his forte, but some of his telegraphed passes can leave someone scratching their head.
He needs to use his body more, and setup just outside, or in front of the net where he is most effective if not working the boards....seems to miss the net more often than not when coming into the zone with some speed and letting one go...seems to be missing that one last move to give him a better scoring chance, I seem to say this quite often when he has a chance. He also needs to get that puck on net more consistantly.

As far as defense, I am happy with Streit, AMac, Hamonic and Jurcina once he returns, and am willing to keep Staios as a number 7, problem is, it's as if we are carrying 3 number 7's with Eaton and Mottau....really need a number 4 defencemen to rectify this glaring hole...another solid play transition player with some toughness and something that resembles a shot. It has been quite evident when the latter are on the ice and the transition game seems lethargic with blind or risky passes, or using the pathetic attempts at blind dumps and handing over posession more often than not. I believe Cap wants to stress puck posession as one of his big changes this year, and It seems the opposite when that Eaton and Mottau pairing are out there.

I know it's early and I am hoping for the stars to align just right with what I mention, if not, we will see how things look come trade deadline, and hopefully address at least our defensive need, and possibly more.....

Maybe it's just me, but I think KO has been one of the better Isles after each of the two games.

Granted, I still think he can be much, much better (the team as a whole is and can), but he's hustled, made some good plays with the puck, has been aggressive on the forecheck.

He'll never be a dynamic player, but more of a Ryan Callahan'ish type player who gets a number of ugly goals.

I think most fans are still waiting to see that 'edge' emerge that will take KO to the next level.

But again, I think he's been decent thus far.

Bailey and Comeau on the other hand.... bleh. Brutal. These are the guys that need to sit in favor of others (eg, Strome, Nino, etc) and get a wake up call.... and fast.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:31 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Some of you really need to step away from the ledge. Early season hockey is always sloppy, especially with the lack of preseason games we are seeing now. Give them a few more games before anything drastic is done. Sure Bailey and Comeau have played like crap, and Okposo/Grabner aren't far behind them right now, but they will be soon.

I for one have confidence that this team will be competitive every game this season, and will likely be close to being a playoff team. They just need to get in a few more games together and everything will start clicking.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote