HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Something is "off"

Old
10-12-2011, 01:27 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
The only thing "off" is some fans expectations.

Every summer NYI does nothing significant to improve the team yet every fall/winter some fans expect significantly improved results. Go figure.

This is basically the same team as last year except Streit is back. There's a reason why a better franchise didn't want Rolston or Pandolfo. Staios and Reasoner aren't going to solve much.

The win when there's no pressure of after last Xmas shouldn't have raised expectations either. Ya get what ya pay for.

I remember posts on here after the 07 season, and how much better the team was going to be (and the team was gutted)...

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:05 AM
HookeyPookey*

Got a questoion thats bugging me when was the last time anyone 'GOOD' chose to come to the Islanders?... not average not needing superannuation but actually good.

We would be way better with Erhoff and yet people I read some people congratulating Snow on not spending the money on Erhoff make up your mind 'keep cap space' and be last every year or spend some money!!

And since the Islanders have been the worst team for a while and have the worst Stadium you have to spend even more money to lure anyone that isnt mediocre here? Why does this never happen?

I agree with the person that said this is essentially the same team that lost 17 in a row last year and finished comfortable last and although small amounts of development may have happened in the 3 month off period the Islanders are essentially still the whipping boys.

HookeyPookey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:31 AM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
The only thing "off" is some fans expectations.

Every summer NYI does nothing significant to improve the team yet every fall/winter some fans expect significantly improved results. Go figure.

This is basically the same team as last year except Streit is back. There's a reason why a better franchise didn't want Rolston or Pandolfo. Staios and Reasoner aren't going to solve much.

The win when there's no pressure of after last Xmas shouldn't have raised expectations either. Ya get what ya pay for.
Sometimes you get less than what you pay for.

The Isles have about $22MM in cap hits on:
DiPietro, Yashin, Witt, Nino, Strome, Rolston, Staios, Jurcina, Pandolfo.

6 haven't played (and most think DP should never play)
The other three are hardly impact players that were brought here to improve the team.

The cap hit on the players that are playing the game is embarrassing.

The payroll on those players is even more disgusting, if not pure CBA circumventing. These guys must have the Enron DVD box set on repeat in all the TVs at the Coliseum.

These 18 players, the CORE of this team, will earn about $26MM this year (there are some phantom bonus clauses in there as well, not likely to be paid out)

Very close to HALF THE CAP FLOOR.

Moulson - Tavares - Parenteau
Grabner - Nielsen - Okposo
Comeau - Bailey - Martin
Reasoner - Pandolfo

Streit - Staios - Hamonic - MacDonald - Eaton - Mottau

Montoya - Nabokov

TIME TO OPEN OUR EYES PEOPLE.

THIS IS A REBUILD IN NAME ONLY.

And I'm an OPTIMIST when it comes to this team...because I happen to LIKE the players a great deal. Even Parenteau is growing on me.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:17 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
I'm glad to see some people are changing their perception on the motives behind this rebuild.

Imagine if this team is managed this way until the lease runs out? I suspect we'll see a team with loads of unfulfilled/plateaud potential.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Islanders1932

The fact is that we can't sign those big names so the rebuild is going to take much longer than people want because we need to draft guys who can become those other guys. I think the team we have put together now will compete though and then add in Nino, Strome, DeHaan, Donovan and others and we are looking good

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Sheva7

hey guys, Isles fan here from T.O,

Whats 'off'??? 2 things. Here's my take:

1. Defence
2. 3rd line

Eaton and Mottau aren't good enough, plain and simple. If this team wants to take the next step, neither of those guys can be part of it....well...maybe Eaton....maybe only as a 6th or 7th D.

Capo needs to fix Comeau. The guy turns over the puck almost every time he gets it. It just kills momentum. You seen it happen last game. He's so skilled, but having the other 2 guys he plays with stand around and watch him skate in circles with the puck just sucks the energy out of the game. And it's such a shame that one of the guys he plays with has such a high ceiling.
Honestly, if the Isles want to make the playoffs this year Capo needs to get that guy on board, and get that 3rd line cranked and revved up for every game. They gotta learn that when a play isnt there, they have to keep it simple. Chip pucks deep, hammer guys on forecheck, play with energy and good will come.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:55 AM
original islander

Hi, this is my first post although I've been reading this forum for the past two years especially around draft time. I've been an Islanders fan since the very first game in 1972 which I listened to on radio and remember Eddie Westfall getting the first goal and my favorite player Billy Harris getting the second goal. Billy also got the first exhibition goal and the first goal in the playoffs. I strongly agree with the approach of building with young players.
I felt that something was off in the very first period of the first game but I don't think that the players were off, it was the system. Jack employed a 1-3-1 neutral zone trap in the first 2 periods of the first game before the players got a green light to forecheck more aggressively in the 3rd period. In the second game the Islanders again used the creative offensive approach in the first period but employed a trap in the final 2 periods. The trap will not work well with our players since the young forwards prefer to forecheck and play more offensively. If you noticed in the post game conference, Capuano was cautioning the players not to be selfish and worry about playing time and scoring goals. I was afraid that this would happen when we added a few older Devils in Rolston, Mottau and Padolfo. Hopefully Jack will revert back to a more offensive system that is more suited to our talent. Good luck for a great season

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:20 AM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
I blame Yashin, DP, Millbury and Wang...

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:22 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Hi, this is my first post although I've been reading this forum for the past two years especially around draft time. I've been an Islanders fan since the very first game in 1972 which I listened to on radio and remember Eddie Westfall getting the first goal and my favorite player Billy Harris getting the second goal. Billy also got the first exhibition goal and the first goal in the playoffs. I strongly agree with the approach of building with young players.
I felt that something was off in the very first period of the first game but I don't think that the players were off, it was the system. Jack employed a 1-3-1 neutral zone trap in the first 2 periods of the first game before the players got a green light to forecheck more aggressively in the 3rd period. In the second game the Islanders again used the creative offensive approach in the first period but employed a trap in the final 2 periods. The trap will not work well with our players since the young forwards prefer to forecheck and play more offensively. If you noticed in the post game conference, Capuano was cautioning the players not to be selfish and worry about playing time and scoring goals. I was afraid that this would happen when we added a few older Devils in Rolston, Mottau and Padolfo. Hopefully Jack will revert back to a more offensive system that is more suited to our talent. Good luck for a great season
The "system" is very reminiscent of Arbour's/Hennings's. Play hard and make your chances but always be responsible for that backcheck. The guys assembled have an offensive presence each line but also have a defensive guy on board (though Tavares is so much an offensive threat, he's also solid getting back as is Parenteau and Moulson, just not to the levels of Bailey/Nielson obviously, and certainly not Pandolfo).

I like your take, otherwise. Play hard, but not in some system; play to your strengths. Thus, the coach really has to analyze and implement the best combos. I think he has it, but the guys don't have their rhythm yet.

Oh, and post more often.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:47 AM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
hey guys, Isles fan here from T.O,

Whats 'off'??? 2 things. Here's my take:

1. Defence
2. 3rd line

Eaton and Mottau aren't good enough, plain and simple. If this team wants to take the next step, neither of those guys can be part of it....well...maybe Eaton....maybe only as a 6th or 7th D.

Capo needs to fix Comeau. The guy turns over the puck almost every time he gets it. It just kills momentum. You seen it happen last game. He's so skilled, but having the other 2 guys he plays with stand around and watch him skate in circles with the puck just sucks the energy out of the game. And it's such a shame that one of the guys he plays with has such a high ceiling.
Honestly, if the Isles want to make the playoffs this year Capo needs to get that guy on board, and get that 3rd line cranked and revved up for every game. They gotta learn that when a play isnt there, they have to keep it simple. Chip pucks deep, hammer guys on forecheck, play with energy and good will come.
Can't fix Comeau, he is what he is. He'll get better with time and experience but he's not going to become a Ryan Smyth player.

It won't be the third line to drive any team to succeed, certainly not this one. As long as they play strong defensively, forecheck hard, limit turnovers and bad penalties, the Isles will be fine. It's the top two lines that need to score enough when needed and a commitment to team defense once they have the lead.

This team needs good offensive years from Tavares, Okposo, Moulson, Grabner more than anything. They also need Streit, MacDonald, Hamonic to stay healthy AND good goaltending. Like most NHL teams, if things go right, they can do well, if not, well, the 2012 draft looks promising.

Easier said than done.

Quote:
nice post.

I have noticed the trap as well, I think they started to play this way towards the end of last season but it's more obvious now. I made the observation after the Minnesota game as well.

I still think this team lacks talent, experience and confidence - but they are close. I like this team, I like the players and I like the coach. This is the same team that lost 20 of 21 under Gordon and essentially the same team that finished strong under Capuano.

I think they are a fragile group, as most young teams are. But if they can play hard, protect leads, get some early wins, confidence can carry the team above their talent level. As bad as they looked against Minnesota, I was not expecting them to lose the lead (like early last year or in the previous 3-4 years). This is a great sign of a growing team and a coach who instills confidence in the team.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Islander102

Whats "off" is that the season is exactly two games old. So far through two games, the Panthers looked completely unspectacular, the Islanders looked abysmal, the Wild looked lost, and the Islanders improved from abysmal to mediocre in game 2. Its not like were seeing great, in sync hockey from our opponents either. Anyone watch the Devils or Rags play either? They look like they all just met each other for the first time.

I dont think this team is a group of world beaters, but theyre going to improve the more they play together. There is nothing wrong with being "off" when just about no team in the league has gelled yet.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
I've been an Islanders fan since the very first game in 1972 which I listened to on radio
Me 2. So, you're the other 1 still left?

Actually, it was kinda neat seeing those 3 STH's from 1972 on ice opening night. Man, I look better than them.

The radio reference made me all nostalgic and misty...........

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:23 PM
OlTimeHockey

On the trap thing...Cappy rolls out a trap during the game and a hard pressing offense as well with a dedicated defenseman. He rolls with it rather than staying with one dynamic system like the last catastrophe of a coach. The players play better overall hockey this way. I honestly like our playoff chances due in large part to Cappy's non system system approach.

He "coaches."

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:10 AM
LAPPY13

There is nothing off with this team! We will have some good games and some bad games but all in all THIS IS A GOOD TEAM! If HEALTHY the Islanders could finish 7-8 in the East. Snow added some good vets to a very solid young core that is going to get better and better each year.

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Sometimes you get less than what you pay for.

The Isles have about $22MM in cap hits on:
DiPietro, Yashin, Witt, Nino, Strome, Rolston, Staios, Jurcina, Pandolfo.

6 haven't played (and most think DP should never play)
The other three are hardly impact players that were brought here to improve the team.

The cap hit on the players that are playing the game is embarrassing.

The payroll on those players is even more disgusting, if not pure CBA circumventing. These guys must have the Enron DVD box set on repeat in all the TVs at the Coliseum.

These 18 players, the CORE of this team, will earn about $26MM this year (there are some phantom bonus clauses in there as well, not likely to be paid out)

Very close to HALF THE CAP FLOOR.

Moulson - Tavares - Parenteau
Grabner - Nielsen - Okposo
Comeau - Bailey - Martin
Reasoner - Pandolfo

Streit - Staios - Hamonic - MacDonald - Eaton - Mottau

Montoya - Nabokov

TIME TO OPEN OUR EYES PEOPLE.

THIS IS A REBUILD IN NAME ONLY. .
Very true. NYI management at "work".

Old
10-24-2011, 08:49 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

I hate to bring this back, but something is not right with this hockey team. Stop bringing up "it's only 6 games".

The Isles were outplayed by MIN and won, outplayed 5 on 5 vs. the Rags and won, and had their only true good game of the season vs. Tampa.

It goes beyond record and games played. Something is "off" and I see our GM does nothing to change things around here, so I wonder how surprised everyone will be when this losing streak turns into a nightmare?

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:57 PM
kpap57

We will get a win against pits and possibly even 3 points. We always play well against them. I know that we are all shell shocked from that 20 gm loosing streak last yr. But people need to relax

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Islanderfan17

Personally speaking, the only thing "off" I've seen is the complete lack of effort from a lot of our players. Quite simply put, I don't see guys going out on the ice and giving it their all. Plain and simple in my book.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:54 PM
kpap57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Personally speaking, the only thing "off" I've seen is the complete lack of effort from a lot of our players. Quite simply put, I don't see guys going out on the ice and giving it their all. Plain and simple in my book.
Agree. Has to make u look at coaching. It's his job to motivate these guys on a nightly basis. I'm not to worried tho. I attribute this to the weird preseason we had. Guys are try to get back into it and gell

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 12:48 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpap57 View Post
Agree. Has to make u look at coaching. It's his job to motivate these guys on a nightly basis. I'm not to worried tho. I attribute this to the weird preseason we had. Guys are try to get back into it and gell
If these kids cannot motivate themselves to try and make the playoffs, there is something wrong with them. With all the talk of this supposed to being a playoff year, they should have come out of the gate flying.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 12:50 AM
NYI91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Besides Tavares, Montoya, Nabokov and Streit maybe, the team has looked very lazy.

NYI91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:12 AM
original islander

This is only my third post and I'm already sound like a broken record but in my opinion. Cappy is employing a more defensive system during stretches of the game that is slowing down the team's forecheck. I think that is why it appears as if the team is off and lacks energy in the offensive zone. Hopefully the team either adjusts or Cappy scraps the system.
Ironically, Scott Gordon is bringing his wide open approach to Toronto and Phil Kessel has benefitted.
The one change I would make is in line combinations and have Josh Bailey and KO on the same line with Matt Martin and hope that his intensity rubs off on them. I would keep the first line together except when the game gets overly physical and then exchange Moulson with Martin. My third line would be Nino-Frans-Grabner and the fourth line would be Comeau-Reasoner-Rolston. Haley would be my sub and would skate for Reasoner in the physical games.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Bauer Warrior*

The players' performance is totally out of their hands. I don't know what anyone expects any of them to change. Tavares always does a good job, Streit does a good job, the goaltenders have been good, the defense has been, frankly, good enough. The Penalty Kill has been strong.

But what more do you want the forwards to do? What do you want, PA Parenteau to stop trying to pass through traffic? How are his passes supposed to look good if he doesn't get the puck through four guys to get a Tavares tap in? Do you expect the Nielsen line to bang bodies and bring an agressive forecheck? What if they force a turnover or something deep in the zone? What do you expect them to do then? Blake Comeau does all he can to do a good job. Hell, he'll even skate the same path twice if it means trying not to lose the puck at the offensive zone blue line. And the one thing that really works against us is that god damn invisible gopher that pops out of the ice both at home and on the road whenever Josh Bailey has the puck. What exactly is supposed to be done about these things?

Oh yeah, and one more thing, it's only 6 games, guys. Relax. If the team keeps playing like this, we get another great lottery pick. We love the draft. it's the best time of the year. And by golly, if we get the top pick in 2012, we get another new savior, and wecan BS ourselves about how great the team will be in 2012-13 all summer long!

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:03 AM
mabisles

Quote:
This is only my third post and I'm already sound like a broken record but in my opinion. Cappy is employing a more defensive system during stretches of the game that is slowing down the team's forecheck. I think that is why it appears as if the team is off and lacks energy in the offensive zone. Hopefully the team either adjusts or Cappy scraps the system.
Ironically, Scott Gordon is bringing his wide open approach to Toronto and Phil Kessel has benefitted.
The one change I would make is in line combinations and have Josh Bailey and KO on the same line with Matt Martin and hope that his intensity rubs off on them. I would keep the first line together except when the game gets overly physical and then exchange Moulson with Martin. My third line would be Nino-Frans-Grabner and the fourth line would be Comeau-Reasoner-Rolston. Haley would be my sub and would skate for Reasoner in the physical games.
Sounds good to me!

mabisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
That was good. You should be coach....or talk to Cappy.