HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

In Which (NHL) City Does A Cancelled NBA Season Benefit Hockey The Most?

Old
10-11-2011, 12:58 AM
Ten88Nineteen

vCash: 500
The thought of Laker fans filling in seats during Kings games makes the Kings a lot harder to like...

Think about it:

1) Sports really lose a lot of their value when games become a place for 'fans' to be seen. The Kings already have a few celebrity fans, even though Gretzky's been gone some years now.
2) Hockey doesn't translate well. It's much more difficult to understand what's going on in hockey than in most other sports - especially basketball.
3) Seriously, no one likes Laker fans.

Ten88Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:01 AM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
If the Panthers can get a good season going, the Miami area might turn to hockey, a little bit.
I hope so for you guys...that would be cool.

CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:03 AM
mucker*

LA and Boston. The Bruins have been number 4 for a long time in Boston, the Red Sox struggles+no Celtics could help, at least for a short while, lift them into 3.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:04 AM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritzky98 View Post
Yea...No there not.
the knicks probabaly have a 3x larger fanbase then the rangers
Wrong.
The Rangers fanbase is huge. They sold out over 150 games post lockout for a medicore team, and more people in the NY market watch NHL than NBA games (Rangers+Devs+Isles have more viewers than Knicks+Nets).

Hockey is huge in NY, though to the point, some of the Knicks demographics may not translate to hockey.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:06 AM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Sunt View Post
it would help in chicago. the bears' window is closed and the hawks have an exciting team. there's a large appetite for sports here, and once casual fans start to watch more hockey they will fall in love with it.
Well, actually the UC will be sold out every game regardless, but hopefully an NBA lockout will result in a larger TV audience for Hawks games and an even greater interest in the Hawks.

Old
10-11-2011, 01:09 AM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Catching the casual fan is the way to grow the sport and help out all those teams having trouble breaking even. This growth is good for the league overall.
Yes, I understand that extremely concept simple. What should work on paper doesn't necessarily translate into success though. Unlike almost every other professional sport, hockey takes knowledge of the game to get full appreciation. There likely will never be a large casual fan base of hockey - you either love the sport or you hate it. Without sounding like too much of an elitist jerk, hockey takes an acquired palate of sorts and implies a unique appreciation. You have to know the rules to get a full understanding of the sport and like the sport, which unfortunately is too much to ask of Americans - we like our mindless entertainment (NBA).

Are people here seriously under the impression that an NBA lockout signals increased views of the NHL? Just because someone is a fan of one sport doesn't mean he likes all of the others. As one poster said above, "how many of you watched more of the NBA during the NHL lockout?" Chances are the casual fans will only watch more of the NFL, college football, and college basketball rather than turning their interest to the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Exactly. It just doesn't work.

Last edited by DJENTLEMAN: 10-11-2011 at 01:16 AM.
DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:09 AM
theDirty27

Phoenix! It will help the market soo much if the suns do not play

theDirty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:10 AM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAndersonBTR View Post
Yes, I understand that concept. However, unlike almost every other professional sport, hockey takes knowledge of the game to really appreciate it. There likely will never be a large casual fan base of hockey - you either love the sport or you hate it. Without sounding like too much of an elitist jerk, hockey takes an acquired palate of sorts and a unique appreciation. You have to know the rules to understand it, which unfortunately is too much to ask of Americans - we like our mindless entertainment (NBA).
Um...I'm an American, and I piss on the NBA.

Old
10-11-2011, 01:17 AM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Feenix. The Cardinals are terrible, the Diamondback's season is over, and there's nothing else going on.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:18 AM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPHawksFan View Post
Um...I'm an American, and I piss on the NBA.
I'm from Boston and feel the same way. I was generalizing for the vast majority of Americans.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:20 AM
BoHorvatFan

Phoenix has to be all over this. Put up ads, give tickets to students, set up booths at malls, fly planes with banners over the area, do whatever it takes to grab these people who want to watch sports and can't watch basketball.

Attack the fanbase with an all out assault!

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:21 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Well...not Philly, that's for sure.

My vote would have to go to LA.

10-11-2011, 01:21 AM
Mynameismark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritzky98 View Post
Yea...No there not.
the knicks probabaly have a 3x larger fanbase then the rangers
3x eh? And you know this for sure living in edmonton huh...

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:24 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Have we forgotten about college basketball? That will probably be a big draw for people that like basketball.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:28 AM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
2) Hockey doesn't translate well. It's much more difficult to understand what's going on in hockey than in most other sports - especially basketball.
Quote:
Without sounding like too much of an elitist jerk, hockey takes an acquired palate of sorts and implies a unique appreciation. You have to know the rules to get a full understanding of the sport and like the sport, which unfortunately is too much to ask of Americans - we like our mindless entertainment (NBA).
Maybe I'm the crazy one but I figured we'd get fans based on the fact that hockey is simple to pick up. You watch a hockey game and the rules are pretty simple. Offsides, penalties that are a cakewalk compared to the NFL. Way easier to judge than a sport like basketball as well.

Even something like the statistics. You can gauge the top players in the NHL simply by point totals usually. Sidney Crosby scores a goal and get's an assist 9\10 he had a good game. LeBron drops 30\6\6 and he could have still had a bad day. Look at Patrick Kane's numbers and you can see that he's a good player. Go tell NBA fans Kevin Love is a top 10 player based on statistics you'd get laughed out of the room.

Pretty much why Hockey is right up there as my favorite sport. The simplicity. NFL makes your head spin when you get into it. All the defensive\offensive schemes. Basketball moves? There's like 100 different dribbling techniques\moves.

- Slap shot
- Write shot
- Snap shot
- One timer

- 3 pointer
- Dunk
- Layup
- Step back jumper
- Hook shot
- Hundreds of variations of post moves

Heck look at reffing. NBA refs are easily the most critized refs bar none. It's pretty much regarded as the hardest sport to referee. When you sit down and watch a hockey game you never say "wait what's happening" yet you watch football or basketball with people who haven't watched and there pretty lost.

IMO NBA locking out is going to be HUGE for the NHL. If it's for the entire year people are going to need a replacement for that 82 game schedule. People are just sick of NBA players too I think. Guy's bolting on there teams, getting massive guaranteed contracts and than doing nothing with it.

ANewHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:31 AM
vancity787

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverNATION View Post
Maybe I'm the crazy one but I figured we'd get fans based on the fact that hockey is simple to pick up. You watch a hockey game and the rules are pretty simple. Offsides, penalties that are a cakewalk compared to the NFL. Way easier to judge than a sport like basketball as well.

Even something like the statistics. You can gauge the top players in the NHL simply by point totals usually. Sidney Crosby scores a goal and get's an assist 9\10 he had a good game. LeBron drops 30\6\6 and he could have still had a bad day. Look at Patrick Kane's numbers and you can see that he's a good player. Go tell NBA fans Kevin Love is a top 10 player based on statistics you'd get laughed out of the room.

Pretty much why Hockey is right up there as my favorite sport. The simplicity. NFL makes your head spin when you get into it. All the defensive\offensive schemes. Basketball moves? There's like 100 different dribbling techniques\moves.

- Slap shot
- Write shot
- Snap shot
- One timer

- 3 pointer
- Dunk
- Layup
- Step back jumper
- Hook shot
- Hundreds of variations of post moves

Heck look at reffing. NBA refs are easily the most critized refs bar none. It's pretty much regarded as the hardest sport to referee. When you sit down and watch a hockey game you never say "wait what's happening" yet you watch football or basketball with people who haven't watched and there pretty lost.

IMO NBA locking out is going to be HUGE for the NHL. If it's for the entire year people are going to need a replacement for that 82 game schedule. People are just sick of NBA players too I think. Guy's bolting on there teams, getting massive guaranteed contracts and than doing nothing with it.
The amount of difficulty it takes to be a pro hockey player in comparison to a basketball player is not even close.

Sure basketball players are talented. But the amount of skill it takes to glide on two thin blades of steel combined with stickhandling a puck and being able to snipe it like a laser-beam makes the athleticism of a hockey player far superior to that of a basketball player.

vancity787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:32 AM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

I'd EASILY say L.A.

ObsessedCreative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:34 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:

No it's not. They might see a small increase but it won't be huge for the NHL. Unless for some odd reason college basketball disappears from the map.

Old
10-11-2011, 01:36 AM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancity787 View Post
The amount of difficulty it takes to be a pro hockey player in comparison to a basketball player is not even close.

Sure basketball players are talented. But the amount of skill it takes to glide on two thin blades of steel combined with stickhandling a puck and being able to snipe it like a laser-beam makes the athleticism of a hockey player far superior to that of a basketball player.
Oh no doubt. Not to mention costs an arm and a leg more. NBA|NFL relies on god given size\athletic ability just as much as it does skill. Can't be a QB at 5'10. Chances at the NBA vanish when your under 5'11 and don't posses elite speed\quickness.

I wasn't talking about that. If a guy never watched a sport in his life. Sat down and watched the NFL|NBA|NHL I'd bet my life the NHL would make the most sense\easiest to watch. It's the least complicated to understand IMO and that's the beauty of it.

Old
10-11-2011, 01:38 AM
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m

This thread has been, overwhelmingly, an obnoxious read. You don't like a game, fine, don't knock those who do or the culture surrounding it. Also take into account that not everybody who has a job thanks to a professional sports league is an owner or player. There's some everyday folks who work at arenas who now don't have anything to do.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Bandit
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
As one poster said above, "how many of you watched more of the NBA during the NHL lockout?"
I didn't watch the NBA at all, but I did watch almost every Dodgers game and went to a handful, when normally I would only watch a handful and go to none. Obviously not every basketball fan is going to turn to hockey, but some will.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:41 AM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
No it's not. They might see a small increase but it won't be huge for the NHL. Unless for some odd reason college basketball disappears from the map.
College ball doesn't run an 82 game season. Sports is a national pass time. NFL is a 16 game season. MLB are in the playoff rights now. Attedence wise? Might not have an have any massive difference. A few areas probably benefit such as L.A, Dallas. Maybe Florida. As for TV numbers? I think it'll do wonders. NHL will never be the most popular sport .. but I think when you erase the NBA for an entire year witch is a realistic possibility it can't be anything but good for the NHL.

Plus I think lots of NBA fans are genuinely pissed at the players\owners.

Old
10-11-2011, 01:55 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
College ball doesn't run an 82 game season.
No but it runs almost concurrent with hockey. From December to March, which is the bulk of the NHL season.

Quote:
Sports is a national pass time. NFL is a 16 game season. MLB are in the playoff rights now. Attedence wise? Might not have an have any massive difference. A few areas probably benefit such as L.A, Dallas. Maybe Florida. As for TV numbers? I think it'll do wonders. NHL will never be the most popular sport .. but I think when you erase the NBA for an entire year witch is a realistic possibility it can't be anything but good for the NHL
TV numbers you won't see any difference. Not until the NHL returns to ESPN or any other network outside of Versus.

It won't make much of a difference from the NHL.

That's like saying, if you erase the NFL, it'll do wonders for NASCAR.

NHL is a regional sport at worst with some national following. It's a very niche sport like golf, tennis and soccer. It won't do anything more than that until you get a network or advertise the hell out of the sport (which it has never done right).

Quote:
Plus I think lots of NBA fans are genuinely pissed at the players\owners.
But not college basketball.

Hockey does not translate well to TV. It's like soccer almost. Basketball and football are better watched.

Old
10-11-2011, 02:07 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

LA has two NBA teams from which to poach fans from (Lakers and Clippers).

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 02:10 AM
danaluvsthekings

Where the Kings will benefit is having better ice since it won't be covered as often for Clippers and Lakers games.

Otherwise, I expect more of this from the LA media.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote