HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

positional situation

Old
10-20-2011, 11:52 AM
PWEI67
Rookie User

vCash: 500
positional situation

Hereís a situation that happened last night and Iím not sure if I responded correctly: Iím playing RW and the puck is in our end. Iím high and covering their D on my side (my man). The LW is down low while he should be high and covering the other D on his side. So that D is wide open. They get the puck in the corner, on the same side as the open D. The guy with the puck has some time Ė his headís up and looking for someone to pass to. The D the LW is suppose to be covering jumps into the play and heads down right into the slot looking for the pass. I see whatís happening and I leave my man to cover this D. I go right with him, tie him up and prevent the pass. The guy with the puck now sees my D is open and shoots the puck around the boards to the open D on the far side (my man). That D gets a good shot away but doesnít score and we spend a few more minutes running around until our goalie covers the puck.

My centerman is yelling at me for not covering my guy. I explain to him what happened and he tells me no matter what I shouldnít leave my D. I told him that I prevented their team from getting a really good scoring chance, if not a goal, and that should be priority number one. Had I not left my position and covered that D, he would have been wide open in the slot with the puck. My centerman telling me it doesnít matter and no matter what I donít leave my D. Personally, I donít agree; but I donít have a lot of experience. I started playing as an adult 5 years ago and heís played college hockey.

So my question is did I do right thing or should I stay with my D no matter what.

PWEI67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Stay with your D. You can cheat in a little bit but you need to cover your man.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Stickmata

As a winger on a team filled with too many guys who don't understand defensive responsibility, I am faced with this dilemma all the time. Do I drop down to pick up the guy that's left all alone while one our D and/or our center gets mezmorized by the puck carrier in the corne or do I stay with my responsibility. It's a no win situation. I tend to pinch down and help in an obvious open man situation.

What pisses me off is when I decide to drop down but I'm too late to stop the goal but early enough that it looks like it was my responsibility to those on the bench who aren't paying close enough attention.

The only thing more frustrating to me than this is when my center gets on me for roaming out of position, when the only reason I'm doing it is because he's not doing his job and he's always the last man back and the last man in on the forecheck. I'm happy to play my wing if everyone else does their f'king job.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:44 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
thats always a tough one but the C is right, instinct says "hey that dudes open stop him" but the reality is it isnt your guy. My rule and the one i used when coaching wingers is always stay within a stick and a half of your pointman, always!!. the exception i teach and i relate it to a penalty kill is, if you can reach the other pointman in 2 or less strides then cut off his pass but never ever cross your half of the ice. so basically if the opposite dman is on your half then take him. the reasoning i have for this rule is that the d man in the middle of the ice is the danger shooter, even if he were to pass to teh dman you leave that shot is way lower percentage. if you can get to the opposite side d on your half then that has to mean your guy is either on teh boards or pinched.

general rule in regular games, dont leave your guy by more than a stride

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:01 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Next time let him go and use it as a learning opportunity for the LW if he scores or even gets a good shot off. Make it clear that it was his man and he's at fault for anything that guy does if he's left alone like that.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Pog Form

Pretty much echoing what everyone else is saying, but that guy's not your responsibility. Stick with your man and when you get to the bench remind your other winger that he can't drop down that low. Even if you do pick up the open man and prevent a scoring chance, that leaves your team with two guys out of position which just compounds the problem.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Steelhead16

If you leave your guy then neither wing on your team is doing their job. Do your job and let the other winger be to blame for the goal. If your guy would have scored then it would have been on you even though you were covering for someone else.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Capsautomatic28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZZ_KPgbqkA

watch hudler # 26....thats how u play D zone as a winger. u never stand near the D on the opposing team. u stand at such an angle when he receives the puck u can clearly be in this (sticks) shooting lane, which should prevent him from shooting and he will either dump it back down low or get blocked by u. But hudler watches his D man at all time but is low enough to prevent scoring chances coming from other areas incase of a man to man break down. If u notice if he was standing next to his D man that puck would have never cleared because the free puck at the end of the shift had no support and it would have just stopped in the corner.

Capsautomatic28 is offline   Reply With Quote