HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Game #4: vs St. Louis, 10/13 (7:30 PM, Fox Sports Southwest, 1310 AM)

Old
10-13-2011, 10:07 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Mark Fistric played some exceptional defense tonight. He even was mildly useful in the offensive end with keeping the cycle going.

Still will probably get scratched into oblivion for his efforts though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Nice win for the Stars

Are Ott's socks pinkish?
He's got pink skate laces on.

Last edited by piqued: 10-13-2011 at 10:14 PM.
piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:07 PM
JeffPeppers
Blefgsrtydhj

vCash: 500
that was a pretty light call on mcdonald right? the team i wanted to win won. but that last penalty sucked all the wind out of tying it back up.

JeffPeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:08 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Mark Fistric played some exception defense tonight. He even was mildly useful in the offensive end with keeping the cycle going.

Still will probably get scratched into oblivion for his efforts though.

He's got pink skate laces on.
I saw his laces when the Stars tweeted the pic, but it looked like someone's socks were pinkish....though my TV is kinda old and I am kinda colorblind

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Penalty kill with the big thumbs up.

Lehtonen with magic and unicorns.

Grossman with the dunce hat tonight. Boy did he struggle.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffPeppers View Post
that was a pretty light call on mcdonald right? the team i wanted to win won. but that last penalty sucked all the wind out of tying it back up.
Twas a makeup for the light call on Eriksson. Both were made of meh.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Jere26

Very disappointed in Ryder and Robidas, I did expect so much more from them than what I've seen so far. After that performance Fistric can't be the odd man out when Pardy comes in.

Kari is the man.

Jere26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Yeah Robidas had a few really bad spots tonight, lots of failed clears which resulted in dangerous chances for St. Louis.

Gotta love the team laying it all on the line for Kari though, those blocked shots were key!

10-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Jere26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Gotta love the team laying it all on the line for Kari though, those blocked shots were key!
Yeah, but unfortunately it is no wonder that Burish is so often injured, the way he sacrifices his body for the team. Really liked him since he arrived in Texas.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:22 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
burish looks like a dwarf next to ludwig and that chick.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Password

Kari has been amazing so far, hopefully he'll keep it up.

Password is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:47 PM
JesusNPucks

I live in Kansas and have no cable or internet, other than on my cell. So, you guys are pretty much my play-by-play. I think what I am hearing is that we are playing like nearly-complete trash and we are still 3-1-0? I think things are looking pretty positive. Get some of the rust and kinks worked out and this might be a half-scary team. Good thing for having Kari, eh?

JesusNPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusNPucks View Post
I live in Kansas and have no cable or internet, other than on my cell. So, you guys are pretty much my play-by-play. I think what I am hearing is that we are playing like nearly-complete trash and we are still 3-1-0? I think things are looking pretty positive. Get some of the rust and kinks worked out and this might be a half-scary team. Good thing for having Kari, eh?
Without Kari, we're probably 0-4.

Maybe Raycroft would steal us a win, but that's it.

This team obviously still has a few kinks to work out, and hopefully Gully can figure out something that works based on the lineup he's been given.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:13 PM
maltrophstitan

I think it's just were not seeing the quality chances out of our top lines, that and our rush on the power play has been pretty bad.

Other than that the penalty kill has been great.
Ott looks like a better well rounded player and a legit top 6 forward.
Souray has been solid and showing us he's more than a big shot.
The depth has played solid, really impressed with Fiddler's game so far.
Lehtonen has been on his game, and whats impressive is he looks really calm back there.

Yeah Lehtonen has bailed out some bad plays but I don't think other teams are majorly out playing us right now.

The top lines need to play like top lines though for us to consider a playoff run but I think that will come together soon enough.

maltrophstitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltrophstitan View Post
Yeah Lehtonen has bailed out some bad plays but I don't think other teams are majorly out playing us right now.
I think the only game we've been completely out played was the game in Chicago.

Other than that, it's just come in stretches. There's no doubt that the goal by STL right after we scored to make it 3-0 definitely put life into their team.

Don't like how we sat back in the 3rd, but it worked again. Granted, we had some chances and should've buried them but eh...St. Louis was scary in the 3rd.

Thank God our penalty kill is worth a damn this season, or we would be completely screwed.

On the positive, I love the way we started tonight. We dominated early in the game in every aspect. We got killed in shots and in faceoffs as the night went on but was really good to see the good start after such an awful outing against Phoenix. Kari continued to be God. PK has been good, despite getting stuck in there for long long stretches. And the Benn line looked pretty good throughout.

Really disappointed in the top line thus far.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:40 PM
txomisc

Lehtonen has been amazing. As Razor keeps mentioning he is doing a fabulous job looking through traffic.

Grossman did not look good. I hope its just because of the missed time and not some lingering thing.

Where the hell is the Jamie Benn that was dominant for a stretch last year?

Fistric was very, very good tonight. He'll probably be scratched in the next game.

This team is pretty damn good at blocking shots but not at all good at using those blocks to clear the zone. Why on earth has this team sucked so hard at clearing the zone for a decade?

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:57 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Despite the ugly 3rd, this team looked a lot better than it did Monday. Up until the 3-0 game, everything this team was having problems with had improved. The transition game was much better, the possession game was much better. Clearing the zone and the crease was really good. The passing had improved. Even after the 1st PP the entry had improved greatly than what we saw Phoenix.

After the 3-0 lead it seemed they fell right back into old bad habits though. Everything that was good stopped, and we went right back into the **** play that we saw on Saturday and Monday. The crease clearing disappeared, the D'Agostini goal immediately after showed that. The crisp passes and smart breakouts disappeared too, see Goose and Ribs passing to no one. Worst of all though, the clearing the zone demon came right back to haunt us, especially Robidas who was god damn terrible tonight. Once again, we'd just throw the puck along the boards and reload a Blues D-man for a point shot. Or if we did get it out of the zone, it was a lazy pass that gave up possession right to the other team to transition for.

You can tell from this games' first half how effective the days off and practices were. There were visible tangible results to the problems they had faced, and you can see its starting to get into their heads. But either due to complacency or fatigue/pressure, once they got that 3-0 lead they completely reverted to all their bad habits and forgot what they had learned. But its refreshign to see that they're evolving and getting better every game. You can tell the core principles of what Gulu wants is getting more and more ingrained as they play, but its not completely there yet. They'll get better I think as time goes on. What's awesome and refreshing is we're pulling out 2 points in games that IMO are completely learning experiences.

Other thoughts on Good and Bad:

Good:

*Kari was amazing as always, this guy is awesome. But he won't be able to keep this up and seeing 30+ shots a game. We need to shut it down, b/c he's going to eventually have a bad night we need to bail him out. Right now though he's making a case as a top tender in the league.

*Fistric had a wonderful game. Clearing the crease, great on that PK, and seemed to pair well with Goose. I think he was kept on his good side b/c I saw Goose with his stick out towards open ice on the transition game, and Fistric with his on the boards like it shoudl be.

*Ott is a demon out there and showing why he's earned a top 6 role. His speed and forecheck are the only shining lights in our top 6 right now.

*Daley wasn't so bad and made some nice defensive plays that impressed me. Souray was a beast as he's been since the season started.

*The PK has been superb. Good on the new acquisitions and Loui/Ott/Burish for making it happen. Even Daley/Robidas/Fistric have been looking good on it.

Bad:

*Robidas had an absolutely horrid game. I'm getting tired of his lack of ability to clear the puck. Everytime we throw the puck right back to the blue line its sure enough Robidas. His work on the PP was good though, again he shows to be one of the only D-men doing Gully's strat of sitting in the slot. Give him less minutes please, he's a liability out there and it'll only get worse as the season goes on and he gets more taxed.

*Grossman had a bad game, but I'm OK with that. Its his first NHL game since February, he'll get the rust out.

*Faceoffs are horrible. I'm especially tired of Riberio not even trying. He just tries to win it clean everytime and ends up losing possession. For a line that's been god awful, losing puck possession on the offensive draw isn't acceptable.

*Speaking of the top line, its far too slow and ****** to be effective. The Benn line is out playing it right now and that's not saying much as they haven't gelled very well. They're getting better but Loui and Benn still haven't shown much chemistry and Benn is trying to do everything solo. But as bad as they've been, the Riberio line just looks slow and useless. They can't forecheck, can't win draws, and can't break the blue line. They need to figure it out or it needs to change.

Overall, I'm very happy to have 6 of 8 points through our first 4 games when its been obvious this team is still trying to figure everything out.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:03 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
I saw his laces when the Stars tweeted the pic, but it looked like someone's socks were pinkish....though my TV is kinda old and I am kinda colorblind
A lot of the players were wearing pink shin guard tape as well, that might've been it.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:08 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Also:

Quote:
gollygoose33 Alex Goligoski
Another 2 points for the pesky #Stars tonight, but still a lot of room to get better!
Loui:
Quote:
"We played really well the first 30 minutes and the other 30 minutes we didn't play that well. Kari has been saving us the last couple games,” said Eriksson. “I think we have to do a much better job. But it's nice to get the two points."
Gully:
Quote:
“The room is pretty quiet. I think people are recognizing in that locker room that we had a little bit better effort than we had before, but our game is still not there. We have a lot of work to do before our goalie gets too tired. We have a lot of work to do,” said Gulutzan. “It seems like we change the way we play if we get up or down, then we'll change the way we are approaching the game. Good teams don't do that. They play the same way for 60 minutes. We're not there yet. I thought we played 25-30 pretty good minutes.”
It's refreshing to see the team not happy with their performances and knowing they need to improve, despite wins.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Absolutely love the quote from Gulutzan.

Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Cristiano Ronaldo
Ballon d'Or 2013

Only got to see the end of the 3rd period, but from what I understand, Kari was amazing again. 36/38 saves? He is so awesome!

Cristiano Ronaldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:19 AM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Looking at the standings, it is so cool/odd to see DET, COL, and DAL as the top three teams again (for however long it lasts)

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:47 AM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
A lot of the players were wearing pink shin guard tape as well, that might've been it.
Yup, that's it. Just saw the pictures:

Thanks

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:53 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

129 hits = first place.
So I think we are really hard to play against.

Two upcoming games vs , four points are possible.

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 04:27 AM
Jere26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
It's refreshing to see the team not happy with their performances and knowing they need to improve, despite wins.
Oh yes, absolutely love Gulutzan's postgame comments for not sugarcoating wins after so-so performances. He really seems to get it. I hope for him that he's good enough for not only pointing out the aspects but also implementing ways in order to improve them. That'd be wonderful if he could give the team an identity, even though I'm not fully convinced that Dallas has the correct players needed for his system to work...yet.

Old
10-14-2011, 04:45 AM
Jere26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
129 hits = first place.
So I think we are really hard to play against.
But not with Barch and Petersen in the lineup. Replace them with Nystrom and Godard (unfortunately not this season) and it'll be fun. On the side note I think the stats people at AAC exxaggerate a lot in what is considered a 'hit' in the game. We could see the same phenomenon in previous seasons. And given that Dallas has already had 3 home games that probably explains a lot. But I'm definitely not questioning the fact that DAL is one of the most hitting teams in the league.

Quote:
Two upcoming games vs , four points are possible.
And that's not unlikely. Kari is 1.39GAA and .955% against them. Columbus is dead last in the Conference with no wins. It'd suck seeing them win their first game of the season against us.