Old
10-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Group looking to put ECHL team in Orlando

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...,4049523.story

Quote:
A startup minor-league hockey team may be headed to Orlando.

A group of would-be team owners has spent a year talking with Orlando officials and the East Coast Hockey League about bringing a new franchise to the Amway Center.
Quote:
"From a lot of standpoints, Orlando is a good fit for [the ECHL]," said Bob Ohrablo, part of the ownership team, Orlando Pro Hockey Operations LP. "It's one of the largest markets in the country right now without a team."

Both Ohrablo and Mayor Buddy Dyer pointed to the enthusiastic crowd of 11,688 fans who attended an exhibition game between the NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning and St. Louis Blues at the Amway Center.
Would rather it was an AHL team, but I'd like this a lot either way.

10-11-2011, 07:47 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Great news for the ECHL if this goes through (and I would expect the ECHL approval of the franchise to be a rubber-stamp once the lease is approved in Orlando). I was at the Lightning pre-season game at the Amway Center when I was there on business a few weeks ago, and the hockey sightlines are very nice, especially in the lower bowl (which will be the only part open for hockey according to the linked article).

If the new group can acquire the Solar Bears name, I would imagine that it would go a long way towards pulling back the hockey fan base that's been looking for a team since 2001 (it seems the vast majority of them never even acknowledged the ACHL/WHA2 Seals, much less followed the SPHL Seals down to Kissimmee).

Old
10-11-2011, 07:48 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Moving thread to ECHL forum.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:06 AM
chasespace

This would be an awesome move for Florida. I wonder who they would affiliate with?

Old
10-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
I really hope this happens Greenville needs another team to play to break up the monotony of playing Gwinnett so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post

I watched a ton of ECHL games last year and quite a few AHL games. Yes the skill is higher at the AHL but the games are rarely as entertaining as the ECHL games imo. I think if you guys get this team you'll really enjoy it!

Old
10-13-2011, 04:17 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
I really hope this happens Greenville needs another team to play to break up the monotony of playing Gwinnett so much!

I watched a ton of ECHL games last year and quite a few AHL games. Yes the skill is higher at the AHL but the games are rarely as entertaining as the ECHL games imo. I think if you guys get this team you'll really enjoy it!
The ECHL and AHL aren't all that different anymore thanks to the wonderful "developmental" concept. I mean especially in the AHL it's always existed but it's forced heavily now by NHL Ownership of AHL Franchises.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

I've been to an Everblades game and really enjoyed the atmosphere, I'd just enjoy seeing the Panthers' prospects playing here. (There was talk of them putting an AHL team here, not sure when that died, though).

Either way, I'd love to have a hockey team in the backyard.

Old
10-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Cynicaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...,4049523.story

Orlando merely happens to be the largest TV market in the US without any hockey. This would be a good move and I agree that AHL would be better but what teams would be for the picking? I'd think none especially given how that league feels like three seperate leagues with two oddly-placed mouse ears.

Old
10-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
http://arenadigest.com/201110183322/...r-amway-center

See ya next year!

Old
10-17-2011, 11:27 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I don't like the look of that lease though. The city is getting most of the concessions. Thats a nice little rent charge too.

I just don't see this team being profitable year 1 like some seem to think. They are getting revenue from ticket sales and merchandise though.

The last few teams weren't big draws tho. Not sure how your movers from the North will dig the E though. Only 3 Northern cities have the E.

Old
10-18-2011, 08:16 AM
jabberoski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Only 3 Northern cities have the E.
What is your definition of north???

Old
10-18-2011, 08:38 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
The ECHL and AHL aren't all that different anymore thanks to the wonderful "developmental" concept. I mean especially in the AHL it's always existed but it's forced heavily now by NHL Ownership of AHL Franchises.
Agree to disagree on this. There is no question that the level of talent at the AHL level is better than the ECHL, however, I do think that the ECHL is a much more entertaining product on the ice.

AHL rosters are completely controlled by their NHL parent club (with the exception of a handful of teams) and winning is a distant second priority to player development. ECHL rosters have a handful of players under contract with the parent clubs, but they are all controlled by local ownership, which means that the majority of personnel decisions are made by the team.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 10-18-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old
10-18-2011, 11:29 AM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberoski View Post
he means northeast: Elmira, NY, Reading, PA, and Trenton, NJ .. there's obviously more 'North' teams .. like Anchorage

Old
10-18-2011, 12:53 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberoski View Post
The Northeast more or less. I know they consider a pplace like Cincy or K-Zoo the "North" but one could argue it's just as well the MidWest. Wheeling would by definition almost fit the South, if not so. Heck people in PA are convinced they are in the South yet they get the same dreadful snow I get here in Upstate NY.

Old
10-18-2011, 12:57 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Agree to disagree on this. There is no question that the level of talent at the AHL level is better than the ECHL, however, I do think that the ECHL is a much more entertaining product on the ice.

AHL rosters are completely controlled by their NHL parent club (with the exception of a handful of teams) and winning is a distant second priority to player development. ECHL rosters have a handful of players under contract with the parent clubs, but they are all controlled by local ownership, which means that the majority of personnel decisions are made by the team.
I guess I look at it like this(I see our team as an example) We have a lot of guys who have spent full time in the AHL who are npw down here. You see a lot of that these days it seems like. I know the AHL teams get the organization's best prospects. Bdeyond that the difference is minimal in a roster IMO. Craig Rivet touched on the difference of the ECHL, AHL and NHL basically. The difference isn't skill set, it's mostly mental and sprinkle in some body positioning(which would basically fit in as a mental concept)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy2486 View Post
he means northeast: Elmira, NY, Reading, PA, and Trenton, NJ .. there's obviously more 'North' teams .. like Anchorage
Correct.

Old
10-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Solution

Quote:
The Northeast more or less. I know they consider a pplace like Cincy or K-Zoo the "North" but one could argue it's just as well the MidWest. Wheeling would by definition almost fit the South, if not so. Heck people in PA are convinced they are in the South yet they get the same dreadful snow I get here in Upstate NY.
GMR:

I am in PA, and I know that I am not in the South. I love me my winters with snow and ice. (Not fond of freezing rain). Yes, I loved my pick up truck with 4 wheel drive, but that was because the 4 wheel drive made getting to work so much more convenient. I do not know what PA people think they are in the South, but as a native Pennsylvanian, that is hooey. We are just south of you.

Last edited by Solution: 10-19-2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Wanted to make certain that the humor was expressed here. Not looking to be a jerk.
Old
10-19-2011, 05:13 PM
StingrayFan

http://www.prohockeynews.com/hockey/...ECHL_bid.shtml

Old
10-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Neill99

Any word on Orlando and ECHL?.

Does anybody have any new info on Orlandos ECHL bid for an Expansion team?.

Old
10-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Well, the Amway Center lease was approved by the city. A step in the right direction.

10-23-2011, 09:16 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neill99 View Post
Does anybody have any new info on Orlandos ECHL bid for an Expansion team?.
Lease is approved now the ball is in BRIAN MCKENNA'S court(ECHL Commish) I know they say they are not dying to gain new members but this seems almost too good to pass up. Plus they already granted a new member for next year and that would put us at 21. I think they would love to have an even number of teams so everyone can play Friday's/Saturday's versus the mess we had last season where an Eastern Conference team was guranteed to sit out atleast once a weekend.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:50 PM
HJimm

I would hope they would actually build the stadium for the Gulf Coast Swords as well. That would make a nice weekend road trip from O-town to Naples.

Old
10-25-2011, 04:50 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJimm View Post
I would hope they would actually build the stadium for the Gulf Coast Swords as well. That would make a nice weekend road trip from O-town to Naples.
This a minor league baseball club? If so, the way the season runs unless it's a deep playoff run this will almost make zero difference as they won't really be playing at the same time.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:06 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

No the Swords were the relocated ECHL franchise that was the Columbus Cottonmouths. The arena construction stalled and thus did the team.

Old
10-26-2011, 03:48 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panda Bolt View Post
No the Swords were the relocated ECHL franchise that was the Columbus Cottonmouths. The arena construction stalled and thus did the team.
Ahh, the word "stadium" was worth a throw off.

So by now wouldn't this be a dead franchise? Much like Columbia? That really grinds my gears...Columbia isn't returning, just tell us that already McKenna.

Old
10-26-2011, 05:06 PM
jabberoski

Quote:
Ahh, the word "stadium" was worth a throw off.

So by now wouldn't this be a dead franchise? Much like Columbia? That really grinds my gears...Columbia isn't returning, just tell us that already McKenna.
Yes, they are dead. It was returned to the league.

As far as Columbia, as long as their owners keep paying dues, the other owners are going keep approving their request as it helps put more money in everybody's pockets. Same with Reno.

Closed Thread