HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Talk me into (or out of) buying a iPad (or other tablet)

Old
10-11-2011, 08:01 PM
MatthewT

vCash: 500
Talk me into (or out of) buying a iPad (or other tablet)

Thinking about picking up an iPad. Don't know a whole lot about them, but am currently doing some research. Basically all I would want it for is some apps, watching movies and internet browsing.

Im thinking it would be handy to browse with while watching tv and watching movies in bed and ****.

I have a few questions:

I read that the iPad's do not support flash, is this a big deal or not?

Might be a stupid question, but how do you transfer stuff off your pc to an iPad (such as movies, music, etc.) if the iPad doesn't have a USB port?

How good is the video quality on the iPad's?

Should I be looking at other models besides the iPad's that are better/cheaper?

I don't know to much about these so any help and or past experiences would be appreciated? Thanks in advance

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Asus Transformer is pretty cool. I would check the Android thread for info on what tablets to get or not get. Those guys there are really good.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:25 PM
neofury*

I'd say check out the Samsung Galaxy Pad first. I haven't tried it but have heard good things.

Personally though I would rather just spend a bit more cash and get a good portable laptop instead but that's just me. Nothing against Apple or Samsung really just don't want one of their tablet devices. Would get an iPhone or a Galaxy phone though

Just judging from your post an ultra portable laptop might be more up your alley. Would have a USB, bigger screen for movies, would have apps

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:26 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Get it, I have no regrets dropping 829+ tax for a 3G 64gb one.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Thinking about picking up an iPad. Don't know a whole lot about them, but am currently doing some research. Basically all I would want it for is some apps, watching movies and internet browsing.

Im thinking it would be handy to browse with while watching tv and watching movies in bed and ****.
Just out of curiosity, between apps browsing and watching video content could you list them in importance? (You'll understand why by the end of my post)

Quote:
I read that the iPad's do not support flash, is this a big deal or not?
Depends. For example, do you like watching highlight's from last night's game on a site that uses flash to deliver it's videos? I certainly do so It's a big deal for me. I love being able to lie back in bed and watch the highlights of the night's games on my ASUS Eee Pad Transformer before going to bed.

Quote:
Might be a stupid question, but how do you transfer stuff off your pc to an iPad (such as movies, music, etc.) if the iPad doesn't have a USB port?
iTunes, don't get me started on the piece of crap.

Quote:
How good is the video quality on the iPad's?
Video Recording (with the camera on the back)? Crap. Not even worth talking about.

Video Playback? Okay, and the reason I say Okay is because the iPad uses a 4:3 ratio screen at 1024x768px (like old CRT tube monitors). While movies and videos today are all in 16:9 ratio (like a flat panel HDTV). This results in a lot of the screen space wasted with the "black bars" on top and on bottom giving you the letter box effect.

Quote:
Should I be looking at other models besides the iPad's that are better/cheaper?
Again, it depends. If you own an iPhone and are heavily invested in the Apple Ecosystem then hellz no go iPad. (Which I doubt you are since you are asking how to sync your media)

So should you be looking else where? Depends on how you answered my first questions. If apps are of utmost importance to you, than no the iPad still has the best Tablet ecosystem available right now. If Browsing and Video consumption is more important than apps, then HELLZ YES you should be looking at cheaper alternatives.

If you had considered it earlier, the HP TouchPad (10-inch) at $99 was a barn burner bargain. Other options also include the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer (10-inch) at $399, the ACER Iconia A500 (10-inch) at $450, BlackBerry Playbook (7-inch) at $299 and others I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT
Should I be looking at other models besides the iPads that are better/cheaper?
You might want to consider the Amazon Kindle Fire, which will be available on November 15th for only $199. It's not better, only cheaper. It ought to be fairly comparable in hardware and ease-of-use to the iPad, except that it has only a 7" display for now, compared to the 10" of the iPad. For widescreen movies, though, the actual image size is probably pretty close to the same size (since the iPad is not widescreen and will not use the whole screen when playing widescreen movies). You'll have to decide if 7" is big enough for web browsing and e-books, among other things, though... or even if 10" seems too big for you. Oh, and it doesn't have a camera, so no video calling.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Ta.../dp/B0051VVOB2

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Why not play games, watch movies, and browse internets on your computer?

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Why not play games, watch movies, and browse internets on your computer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
I love being able to lie back in bed and watch the highlights of the night's games on my ASUS Eee Pad Transformer before going to bed.
Might also be nice to bust it out in areas when you're not on your computer. ie Public Transit, School, Lunch break at work, Airports, etc.

The whole idea of a tablet is the mobility no?

Old
10-11-2011, 10:18 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Might also be nice to bust it out in areas when you're not on your computer. ie Public Transit, School, Lunch break at work, Airports, etc.

Tis. My commute is about 1.75 hours of my day. Use my iPad to do a lot of surfing and stuff. Don't need to pay data bc my phone tethers and my plan has unlimited everything for 30

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Tis. My commute is about 1.75 hours of my day. Use my iPad to do a lot of surfing and stuff. Don't need to pay data bc my phone tethers and my plan has unlimited everything for 30
They make portable computers too, you know.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post

Old
10-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Previous Threads on which Tablet to buy:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=995355

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=921638

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Frankie Spankie

They're ridiculously expensive for what you get, don't bother and just buy a laptop that's a lot more powerful for the same price.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:55 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
They're ridiculously expensive for what you get, don't bother and just buy a laptop that's a lot more powerful for the same price.
Exactly. I normally wouldn't have brought it up in a tablet thread because I know how much the tablet people get annoyed with that but given the OP I'm pretty sure the comments are justified.

Seems like nobody is disagreeing really. Either way I'd say ultra portable laptop. I can't believe some people paid over 800$+tax for a tablet even if it is the iPad.

You can find laptops for ~800$+tax that will actually play games, we aren't talking crysis on ultra but they can game. Let alone play movies, browse, be portable, etc.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Brunomics

If you pay over 250 for a tablet your overspending. Just go on craigslist and get yourself a touchpad for 200-250 and call it a day, may not have a million apps but the browser works well, has good sound and can play movies plus it's the 9.7 inch screen.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:36 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
this x100.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:44 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
If you pay over 250 for a tablet your overspending. Just go on craigslist and get yourself a touchpad for 200-250 and call it a day, may not have a million apps but the browser works well, has good sound and can play movies plus it's the 9.7 inch screen.
Or wait for the Kindle Fire.

-Sent from my HP Touchpad
(still disappointed how HP dropped the ball with this, while it doesn't have all the apps, Flash and Splashtop are great additions).

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:43 PM
MatthewT

thanks guys

might look at getting a HP touchpad for around $200

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

I feel like it's something you'll love fiddling around with at first, but then it just ends up collecting dust. I wouldn't be against buying one for $200 or so though, but I'd never spend the money on an iPad.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:23 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
A laptop is too awkward to use when you have so many people around you on transit. tablets, also turn on and off immediately

Old
10-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Just out of curiosity, between apps browsing and watching video content could you list them in importance? (You'll understand why by the end of my post)

Depends. For example, do you like watching highlight's from last night's game on a site that uses flash to deliver it's videos? I certainly do so It's a big deal for me. I love being able to lie back in bed and watch the highlights of the night's games on my ASUS Eee Pad Transformer before going to bed.

iTunes, don't get me started on the piece of crap.

Video Recording (with the camera on the back)? Crap. Not even worth talking about.

Video Playback? Okay, and the reason I say Okay is because the iPad uses a 4:3 ratio screen at 1024x768px (like old CRT tube monitors). While movies and videos today are all in 16:9 ratio (like a flat panel HDTV). This results in a lot of the screen space wasted with the "black bars" on top and on bottom giving you the letter box effect.

Again, it depends. If you own an iPhone and are heavily invested in the Apple Ecosystem then hellz no go iPad. (Which I doubt you are since you are asking how to sync your media)

So should you be looking else where? Depends on how you answered my first questions. If apps are of utmost importance to you, than no the iPad still has the best Tablet ecosystem available right now. If Browsing and Video consumption is more important than apps, then HELLZ YES you should be looking at cheaper alternatives.

If you had considered it earlier, the HP TouchPad (10-inch) at $99 was a barn burner bargain. Other options also include the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer (10-inch) at $399, the ACER Iconia A500 (10-inch) at $450, BlackBerry Playbook (7-inch) at $299 and others I'm forgetting off the top of my head.
As much as I like your avatar, it pretty much renders your post null and void for being 100% biased.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
A laptop is too awkward to use when you have so many people around you on transit. tablets, also turn on and off immediately
What's awkward about it? It's a tablet with a keyboard attached to the bottom.

Old
10-12-2011, 07:52 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
What's awkward about it? It's a tablet with a keyboard attached to the bottom.
have you ever tried using a computer vs. a tablet when you are standing up with people around you?

whats awkward about it? i dunno maybe the size... i mean one is just a tablet and one is as you say "a tablet with a keyboard at the bottom"

i rarely sit down on the train. i dont want to use one hard to hold it up and 1 hand to type and mouse around. How many people do you see with a laptop on the transit? Cuz I dont see many, especially around rush hours

Old
10-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
have you ever tried using a computer vs. a tablet when you are standing up with people around you?

whats awkward about it? i dunno maybe the size... i mean one is just a tablet and one is as you say "a tablet with a keyboard at the bottom"

i rarely sit down on the train. i dont want to use one hard to hold it up and 1 hand to type and mouse around. How many people do you see with a laptop on the transit? Cuz I dont see many, especially around rush hours
I'll give you the standing up thing, because laptops are a ***** to use while standing, but aside from that they're really no more awkward than a tablet.

If literally the only thing you're concerned about is portability or "awkwardness" and nothing else, sure, a tablet's great.

Old
10-12-2011, 08:24 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
I'll give you the standing up thing, because laptops are a ***** to use while standing, but aside from that they're really no more awkward than a tablet.

If literally the only thing you're concerned about is portability or "awkwardness" and nothing else, sure, a tablet's great.
of course, if i didnt want portability why would i buy a tablet lol