HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Put kesler on the wing with Hodgson at Center

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-11-2011, 09:41 PM
  #1
MegaSpiderman66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Put kesler on the wing with Hodgson at Center

Anyone think they should try kesler on the wing with hodgson in the middle for their second line? have samuelson/sturm/burrows as the other winger.

Hodgson has the potential to be good, but he needs to play. As well, vancouver is looking for another 'top six' forward and hodgson is probably it, if we use him correctly and give him a good winger (like kesler) to play with.

As well, having kesler out there with him, he'll be able to take some of the defensive responsibility off hodgson as well, at least initially, as kesler could still take some defensive zone face-offs etc. AV will now be able to sleep at night knowing kesler is out there with him.

Thoughts on this?

MegaSpiderman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:48 PM
  #2
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 4,917
vCash: 894
I think Malhotra's play is still being watched. His game has suffered with the eye injury and it will take some time to evaluate it and see if he can make adjustments. I suspect he is the candidate for wing, before Hodgson.

It is possible Kesler moves, but he is top five among defensively responsible centers, IMO and shouldn't be shifted to accomodate a rookie. That's crazy.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:50 PM
  #3
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013
 
Uhmkay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSpiderman66 View Post
Anyone think they should try kesler on the wing with hodgson in the middle for their second line? have samuelson/sturm/burrows as the other winger.

Hodgson has the potential to be good, but he needs to play. As well, vancouver is looking for another 'top six' forward and hodgson is probably it, if we use him correctly and give him a good winger (like kesler) to play with.

As well, having kesler out there with him, he'll be able to take some of the defensive responsibility off hodgson as well, at least initially, as kesler could still take some defensive zone face-offs etc. AV will now be able to sleep at night knowing kesler is out there with him.

Thoughts on this?
Absolutely not and frankly I'm getting a little tired of this suggestion.

Kesler is the reigning Selke winner and the best 2-way center in the league. Being that he is easily the fastest player on the line unless Raymond is added later, I want the fastest, most defensive aware, and best scorer in the middle.

Hodgson being moved to the wing is not that hard and he's said that he doesn't have any problems playing there. It's very easy for a center to move to the wing, but not very easy for a winger to move to Center.

There is absolutely no reason why Hodgson can't play wing, and he certainly can NOT play center as well as Kesler so why would you take Kesler away from playing the most important position on the line???

Give it a rest already.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:51 PM
  #4
skywarp75
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
This is what a good coach would do, but since we have AV im assuming Cody will be benched in favor of Volpatti or other random talentless scrub. Im of the opinion that Cody is clearly a smarter player with more potential than Raymond, and Raymonds game can be more useful on the 3rd or 4th line than the 2nd, so Cody's spot has nothing to do with when Raymond gets back at all. Cody has elite hockey sense and giving him a chance at center makes sense, and also allows Kesler to use his speed more for offense.

skywarp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:53 PM
  #5
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I think Malhotra's play is still being watched. His game has suffered with the eye injury and it will take some time to evaluate it and see if he can make adjustments. I suspect he is the candidate for wing, before Hodgson.

It is possible Kesler moves, but he is top five among defensively responsible centers, IMO and shouldn't be shifted to accomodate a rookie. That's crazy.
He can still be a monster at both ends as a RW, ever heard of Jere Lehtinen? Hodgson looks good and ready, moving him to either the third line or a foreign position would be retarded, sadly that is probably what they will do. I agree with the OP though.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:56 PM
  #6
Dana Murzyn
Registered User
 
Dana Murzyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
Absolutely not and frankly I'm getting a little tired of this suggestion.

Kesler is the reigning Selke winner and the best 2-way center in the league. Being that he is easily the fastest player on the line unless Raymond is added later, I want the fastest, most defensive aware, and best scorer in the middle.

Hodgson being moved to the wing is not that hard and he's said that he doesn't have any problems playing there. It's very easy for a center to move to the wing, but not very easy for a winger to move to Center.

There is absolutely no reason why Hodgson can't play wing, and he certainly can NOT play center as well as Kesler so why would you take Kesler away from playing the most important position on the line???

Give it a rest already.
That takes care of that.

Dana Murzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:58 PM
  #7
ahmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,253
vCash: 500
Moving kesler to the wing is exactly what needs to be tried, at the very least.

kesler is great defensively but his 2 major strengths is his speed and wrist shot.

Putting him on the wing can even be a benefit to his game. Hodgson has great vision, he can spring/setup kesler, rather than have kesler go end to end all the time.

Hodgson-kesler can potentially be the duo that will provide the 2nd wave attack.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:58 PM
  #8
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Burger King bathroom
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,513
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
Absolutely not and frankly I'm getting a little tired of this suggestion.

Kesler is the reigning Selke winner and the best 2-way center in the league. Being that he is easily the fastest player on the line unless Raymond is added later, I want the fastest, most defensive aware, and best scorer in the middle.

Hodgson being moved to the wing is not that hard and he's said that he doesn't have any problems playing there. It's very easy for a center to move to the wing, but not very easy for a winger to move to Center.

There is absolutely no reason why Hodgson can't play wing, and he certainly can NOT play center as well as Kesler so why would you take Kesler away from playing the most important position on the line???

Give it a rest already.
^ This x1000000

Hodgson has not earned the 2nd line center position at all, especially over Kesler.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:59 PM
  #9
SomeoneGreat
Registered User
 
SomeoneGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
Absolutely not and frankly I'm getting a little tired of this suggestion.

Kesler is the reigning Selke winner and the best 2-way center in the league. Being that he is easily the fastest player on the line unless Raymond is added later, I want the fastest, most defensive aware, and best scorer in the middle.

Hodgson being moved to the wing is not that hard and he's said that he doesn't have any problems playing there. It's very easy for a center to move to the wing, but not very easy for a winger to move to Center.

There is absolutely no reason why Hodgson can't play wing, and he certainly can NOT play center as well as Kesler so why would you take Kesler away from playing the most important position on the line???

Give it a rest already.
Hmm. Isn't Hodgson a fairly poor winger?

SomeoneGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:01 PM
  #10
Mudshark50
Registered User
 
Mudshark50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NorthVancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I think Malhotra's play is still being watched. His game has suffered with the eye injury and it will take some time to evaluate it and see if he can make adjustments. I suspect he is the candidate for wing, before Hodgson.

It is possible Kesler moves, but he is top five among defensively responsible centers, IMO and shouldn't be shifted to accomodate a rookie. That's crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
He can still be a monster at both ends as a RW, ever heard of Jere Lehtinen? Hodgson looks good and ready, moving him to either the third line or a foreign position would be retarded, sadly that is probably what they will do. I agree with the OP though.
I think there are lots of different opportunities between the 2nd and 3rd lines for Hodgson this year. It is a long season and AV has been known to juggle his line combinations once in awhile...

Mudshark50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:04 PM
  #11
VC
Registered User
 
VC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,155
vCash: 500
All depends on his Kesler's hip really. If its still bothering him a little through out the season, does he need to skate the extra mileage? At that point shouldn't the options be looked at? If Kesler is 100% healthy then yes keep him at centre and then experiment with who of Hodgson/Malhotra/Lapierre plays wing. That is if Hodgson proves enough to stay up.

As of right now if Kesler comes back into the lineup, imo Malhotra is most likely to be moved to the wing as the leftwing position is the team weakest. Yes Malhotra is golden at faceoffs but if Hodgson is deemed good enough to stay up, it will be in a position he knows.

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Alexandre Burrows
Chris Higgins - Ryan Kesler - Mikael Samuelsson
Marco Sturm - Cody Hodgson - Jannik Hansen
Manny Malhotra - Maxim Lapierre - Dale Weise

VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:04 PM
  #12
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Burger King bathroom
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,513
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneGreat View Post
Hmm. Isn't Hodgson a fairly poor winger?
Then move the almighty Hodgson to the 3rd line and Malhotra can play left wing (but he takes important faceoffs), something Gillis talked to Malhotra about before signing him.

Or we could send him to the AHL where he would get 1st line minutes.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:10 PM
  #13
MegaSpiderman66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
Moving kesler to the wing is exactly what needs to be tried, at the very least.

kesler is great defensively but his 2 major strengths is his speed and wrist shot.

Putting him on the wing can even be a benefit to his game. Hodgson has great vision, he can spring/setup kesler, rather than have kesler go end to end all the time.

Hodgson-kesler can potentially be the duo that will provide the 2nd wave attack.
Yea, my thoughts exactly. Kesler has great speed and now a great shot and hodgson has great hockey sense and vision.

Kesler is more of a natural winger than hodgson is, and I can see him exceling at wing and maybe doing even better offensively than he did last year. As a winger you can still be good defensively.


We really do need that second waive of scoring and kesler needs help on that second line, he did unbeleivable last year, but I really don't think marco sturm is the answer.

I think it is definitely worth a shot, worst case scenario AV sends hodgson down to 4th line again.

MegaSpiderman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:10 PM
  #14
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
^ This x1000000

Hodgson has not earned the 2nd line center position at all, especially over Kesler.


It's not ''demoting'' Kesler, it's putting the puzzle together. Kesler will still get boat loads of minutes.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:11 PM
  #15
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,398
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
He can still be a monster at both ends as a RW, ever heard of Jere Lehtinen? Hodgson looks good and ready, moving him to either the third line or a foreign position would be retarded, sadly that is probably what they will do. I agree with the OP though.
Exactly the name I was thinking.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:14 PM
  #16
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Exactly the name I was thinking.
I think some of the young pups on here have the mistaken idea that only centres are good defensively?

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:20 PM
  #17
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,356
vCash: 500
We won't move our Selke winning 40 goal scorer to center to accommodate Hodgson. Hodgson can either play wing on the second line or move down to be the third line center. Kesler and H. Sedin will be our one two punch at center for at least a few more years. If Hodgson gets to the level of J. Staal in Pittsburgh for a while then we can look at what needs to be done.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:22 PM
  #18
ZyggZagg
Registered User
 
ZyggZagg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Burnaby
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,173
vCash: 500
Don't forget how amazing Kesler looked on the wing with Sundin here, he wont be the same defensively but his production would likely go up instead of having two wingers that don't fit with him.

ZyggZagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:25 PM
  #19
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 500
There's no way you move Kes to the wing. No way.

You could try Hodgson on the wing but it won't work IMO.

OTOH, both Manny and Lappy could play wing from what I can tell.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:32 PM
  #20
Anzes Eyes
5th line centre
 
Anzes Eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I think some of the young pups on here have the mistaken idea that only centres are good defensively?
Centres have more defensive responsibility and their speed is just as important as a winger. If Hodson plays the wing for Kesler, he may be able to set Kesler up from the half wall. Yes, wingers can be set up men as well as Centres. Secondly, Hodgson has a nice release and from my vantage is able to find open ice for a shot on net. I see no reason why he couldn't play the wing.

There is NO REASON to move Kesler from Centre. It does not make the team better. You play your best players in the position that they are best at. Moving Kesler to wing is like when we played Bieksa as a forward. FUn experiment but not a solution for anything.

Anzes Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:36 PM
  #21
ahmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonavision View Post
Centres have more defensive responsibility and their speed is just as important as a winger. If Hodson plays the wing for Kesler, he may be able to set Kesler up from the half wall. Yes, wingers can be set up men as well as Centres. Secondly, Hodgson has a nice release and from my vantage is able to find open ice for a shot on net. I see no reason why he couldn't play the wing.

There is NO REASON to move Kesler from Centre. It does not make the team better. You play your best players in the position that they are best at. Moving Kesler to wing is like when we played Bieksa as a forward. FUn experiment but not a solution for anything.
Exaggeration much?

Kesler was our MVP on the wing beside Sundin. When did bieksa get MVP honors playing as a forward?

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:38 PM
  #22
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013
 
Uhmkay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I think some of the young pups on here have the mistaken idea that only centres are good defensively?
I think some of these old pups have the mistaken idea that wingers defensive responsibility is the same as centreman....

I can't wait for Kesler to come back, get back into game shape and play the way he plays so people will stop and think

"Oh yeah, that's why Kesler is the 2nd line Centre... Duh!"

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:39 PM
  #23
Speediakal
Hometown Discount
 
Speediakal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canucks
Country: Canada
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
Kesler is the best two-way center in the league...and you want to put him on the wing where he can't use his great defensive skill? Oh lawd.

Speediakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:42 PM
  #24
ahmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
I think some of these old pups have the mistaken idea that wingers defensive responsibility is the same as centreman....

I can't wait for Kesler to come back, get back into game shape and play the way he plays so people will stop and think

"Oh yeah, that's why Kesler is the 2nd line Centre... Duh!"
The way I look at it. Kesler is the canucks best forward period.

He was our best forward on the wing with sundin, and was our best forward in the center position.

I rather kesler score goals and hodgson defend, then the other way around. And wasn't the point of having malhotra to free up kesler offensively?

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:43 PM
  #25
serge2k
Registered User
 
serge2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,413
vCash: 500
I'm 100% for taking a guy who just scored 4 goals and won a selke at center and replacing him with a rookie. Faceoff percentage and strength up the middle are irrelevant, let the rookie have the job because he scored a goal yesterday and we must make changes for the sake of changes.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.