HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Put kesler on the wing with Hodgson at Center

Old
10-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
I think some of these old pups have the mistaken idea that wingers defensive responsibility is the same as centreman....

I can't wait for Kesler to come back, get back into game shape and play the way he plays so people will stop and think

"Oh yeah, that's why Kesler is the 2nd line Centre... Duh!"
You're forgetting the Canucks already moved Kesler to the wing in favour of an inferior centreman in Mats Sundin. Is it really that hard to imagine it could happen again?

Speed and goalscoring ability is better suited off the wing than it is at centre and it'a a very real possibility Kesler plays some wing if Hodgson continues to improve IMO. If Hodgson deserves to be in the top 6 and that duo works better with Hodgson at centre that's exactly what we'll see. Hodgson's game isn't suited to the wing as well as Kesler's is and this could play into the decision.

This isn't a stupid question whatsoever. Kesler will still be an elite two-way player off the right wing. Though Hodgson would really need to bring it for this to happen - probably not a realistic scenario until next season.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:50 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Hodgson
Sturm-Malhotra-Samuelsson
Weise-Lapierre-Hansen

boom.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:52 PM
deckercky

Only way it's tested is if Kesler isn't 100% when he returns (and I think there's a decent chance that happens). Only way it sticks is if the line catches lightning in that situation.

Anyways....isn't the fact that Hodgson is on pace for a 41 goal season as good as Kesler having one last season? Probably better since Hodgson is doing it this season, while Kesler did it last year. What did last year ever do for us?

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
The way I look at it. Kesler is the canucks best forward period.

He was our best forward on the wing with sundin, and was our best forward in the center position.

I rather kesler score goals and hodgson defend, then the other way around. And wasn't the point of having malhotra to free up kesler offensively?
Having Kesler and Malholtra give us the ability to shut down 2 lines. Kesler is always going to concentrate on defense whether we have Malholtra or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
I'm 100% for taking a guy who just scored 4 goals and won a selke at center and replacing him with a rookie. Faceoff percentage and strength up the middle are irrelevant, let the rookie have the job because he scored a goal yesterday and we must make changes for the sake of changes.
LOL, exactly.

Here's a thought for everyone. Why are people not taking a look at Keslers progression as a player and thinking that maybe thats exactly what Hodgson needs.

Kesler didn't really start to break out until he played wing and had a good Centre (Sundin) to learn from. That's when he really became confident in his offensive abilities and really started to become confident in himself as a rising star in the NHL.

Why would we not give Hodgson the same opportunity? Have Hodgson play wing where if he makes a mistake he'll have the Selke winning Centre right there to help bail him out. He can learn from someone who is now one of the best Centres in the game and at the same time relax a little bit more and become more comfortable in the NHL.

Then when he's fully confident in his abilities we can move him back to Centre as we already know the transition back would be instant and he can then continue to grow from there.

It is widely known that it's pretty easy for a Centre to move over to the wing and Hodgson has said he's comfortable playing the wing. Let him come in and learn from one of the best in the game by actually seeing Kesler play Centre... not wing.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Cant we just agree that both players should be tested on the wing, and the probability is Kesler will keep the center spot?

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I think some of the young pups on here have the mistaken idea that only centres are good defensively?
I think it's more that centres always seem to win the Selke. Lately anyways. If Kesler goes to the wing, there goes his Selke trophy

Other than that I'm all for it.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanchion for MVP View Post
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Hodgson
Weise-Lapierre-Hansen

boom.
I think I'm going to throw up.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Moore Money

I would like to see them both play center at times. Kesler gets the tougher matchups of course. Who better to teach Hodgson how to play center at the NHL level then a selke winner?

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

We have a bunch of experts in this thread loll

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I think Kes needs to be tried out on the wing. We love his great defensive abilities, but we're really thirsty for some even strength goals right now. If moving him to the wing can make him a even more effective scorer, and help preserve his health I say go for it. Cody isn't a stud on the defensive end, but I don't see him being a liability either. They could rotate depending on the defensive pairing that's playing with them as well. I feel a lot more comfortable if the Hamhuis-Bieksa or Salo-Edler pairing is on the ice when Cody is playing center.

You guys also need to think of things this way. If for example, we put Kes at center and Cody on the wing, we might get 40g/40a and 10g/20a, whereas if we put Cody into his natural position and Kes on the wing, we may get 25g/35a and 40g/35a. It's about maximizing the line production, not just Kesler's individual output. This of course, is all theoretical, can't be sure how things play out until they do.

Of course, the opposite could be true too. I can't wait til Kes is back in the lineup.

Last edited by Wilch: 10-11-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:16 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Bunch of drama queens in here. Both options will be tried...whichever works better, will stick

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:18 PM
MegaSpiderman66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
We have a bunch of experts in this thread loll
Everyone's an expert here!

Last edited by MegaSpiderman66: 10-29-2011 at 07:05 PM.
MegaSpiderman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:24 PM
corker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Both options will be tried...whichever works better, will stick

My thoughts exactly. My initial reaction was don't mess with the awesomeness... keep Kesler at centre, try Cody on the wing... but I also think Hodgson has good vision and creativity and freeing Kesler up from some of the defensive responsibility could make him even more dangerous offensively. Try both, see what works better. We are a good enough team that we should have the luxury to be able to experiment and find the better fit.

corker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Bunch of drama queens in here. Both options will be tried...whichever works better, will stick
Yep. This. I don't even understand what the point in discussing it yet is. We have nothing to even base an opinion on yet because neither (or at least the current version of neither) have shown us how they look on the wing yet.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:38 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
Absolutely not and frankly I'm getting a little tired of this suggestion.

Kesler is the reigning Selke winner and the best 2-way center in the league. Being that he is easily the fastest player on the line unless Raymond is added later, I want the fastest, most defensive aware, and best scorer in the middle.

Hodgson being moved to the wing is not that hard and he's said that he doesn't have any problems playing there. It's very easy for a center to move to the wing, but not very easy for a winger to move to Center.

There is absolutely no reason why Hodgson can't play wing, and he certainly can NOT play center as well as Kesler so why would you take Kesler away from playing the most important position on the line???

Give it a rest already.
Basically, this.

Moving a selke winning player in Kesler to accommodate Hodgson is facepalm worthy. What makes Hodgson so much better at center then Kesler? The fact this gets brought up is quite mind boggling to begin with.

Kesler is a much better rounded centermen then Hodgson. Also, why can't Hodgson go wing? Why can't that be done instead of taking a Selke trophy winning center out of his position?

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Do you people bother reading everything in this thread before making these kind of comments? It's only 2 pages long.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Nuck This

I agree with the OP. The second line is more effective with-

Higgins Hodgson Kesler...rather than-

Higgins Kesler Hodgson. Hodgson has been the best forward on the second line and if he continues to improve than he should stick on the second line.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:35 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Basically, this.

Moving a selke winning player in Kesler to accommodate Hodgson is facepalm worthy. What makes Hodgson so much better at center then Kesler? The fact this gets brought up is quite mind boggling to begin with.

Kesler is a much better rounded centermen then Hodgson. Also, why can't Hodgson go wing? Why can't that be done instead of taking a Selke trophy winning center out of his position?

I haven't officially taken a side on this debate yet but why does it have to be about who would be better the better C? Kesler has experience on the wing at the NHL level and Hodgson simply doesn't. Then consider that one is more known for his speed and crash and bang style of hockey and the other is more know to be a playmaker and a set up man....... hmmmm... I think I have just officially taken a side on this one.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:39 AM
jammyrft

Hank - Dank - Burrows
Higgins - Kes - Hodgy
Sammy - Malholtra - Hansen
Bitz - Lappy - Pinizzotto

Raymond
Sturm

is how I have the depth chart once everyone is healthy

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Sayonara77
Farewell Kes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanchion for MVP View Post
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Hodgson
Weise-Lapierre-Hansen

boom.
More like

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Hodgson
Raymond-Malhotra-Hansen
Weise/Bitz-Lapierre-Samuelsson
Oreskovich, Pinizotto, Sturm

Sayonara77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:40 AM
jammyrft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayonara77 View Post
More like

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Hodgson
Raymond-Malhotra-Hansen
Weise/Bitz-Lapierre-Samuelsson
Oreskovich, Pinizotto, Sturm
pretty close...

how sturm's playing right now I can't see us carrying him through the season

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
I haven't officially taken a side on this debate yet but why does it have to be about who would be better the better C? Kesler has experience on the wing at the NHL level and Hodgson simply doesn't. Then consider that one is more known for his speed and crash and bang style of hockey and the other is more know to be a playmaker and a set up man....... hmmmm... I think I have just officially taken a side on this one.
This part of your quote is actually not very accurate. Hodgson even in Junior was known much more as a shoot first guy than he was as a playmaker. If we were talking about Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, then I'd agree with you, but we aren't. If you ever watched Hodgson play, he was never a prototypical playmaker, or even moreso than Kesler is/was. And if you look at Hodgson stats, I'm sure you'll see that what I'm saying is somewhat reflected in that. His goal:assist ratio is virtually even.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Anzes Eyes
5th line centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
Exaggeration much?

Kesler was our MVP on the wing beside Sundin. When did bieksa get MVP honors playing as a forward?
This only proves the point more... Sundin who was the accomplished player would not play out of position.

Secondly, Kesler has had better seasons playing Centre over wing.

I'm starting to think this is a troll thread.

Anzes Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:55 AM
keslerburrows

Yeah! And while we are at it, why not move the Sedins to defence to replenish our depth!

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:04 AM
embee

As someone else said, its not demoting/promoting anybody. It's making the pieces of the puzzle fit.

I'm sure both methods will be tried and tested, and I'm sure that whichever method works the best will be used.

embee is offline   Reply With Quote